Is PageRank officialy dead?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. susi10 profile image97
    susi10posted 9 years ago

When evaluating the competition of keywords, I always check the PageRank of the first four results to see the competition. I avoid keywords that have pages with PR 4-5 since they are impossible to beat. There haven't been any PR updates this year or last year so I had to raise the question; is PR dead?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just looked in the blog and there was no story but whenever the date was it said that it has moved up to a 6.

2. Brie Hoffman profile image60
      Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Where do you check the page rank?

3. Brie Hoffman profile image60

So is a page rank of 3 good?

Susi10 was looking for 4-5 but the blog said that it had been raised to 6. Perhaps that is why she could not find anything. I guess that anything below 6 is good. I am not sure how it works.

4. Chinaimport profile image77
      Chinaimportposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google PageRank was updated twice last year.  The last one was on 5/6th December 2013.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Did you enter any Hub pages in there? I just entered two and it said, "Invalid. URL is too long." When I read it I did not think that it worked on HubPages but I tried to be sure.

1. Brie Hoffman profile image60

take the extra http off

Really? Thanks, I will try it.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60

I did that and entered the same two, instead of the error I got no entry in a long box with "- NA" following it.

1. Brie Hoffman profile image60

It might not be ranking at all, I got that on one of my hubs.

I will keep trying then.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60

I got one that had a 0. The others I noticed were saying were too new.

3. susi10 profile image97
    susi10posted 9 years ago

I know that PageRank is still one of Google's 200 ranking factors, and will always be. But, the PageRank of pages hasn't been updated in a long time. It seems that PageRank is not as important as it once was, but could it be officially retired by Google? All the experts seem to think so, but I don't know.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

The higher the number the better.  A brand new web page, or one which isn't doing well, will have a page rank of N/A

A lot of sites have a page rank of 0!  Most bloggers are pleased if their blog manages to get to 2 or 3.   Managing to get to 6 is a real achievement.

However, as susi says, PageRank isn't as crucially important as it once was.  It's still included in Google's algorithm but it's only one of multiple factors.   It's hotly debated how big a factor PageRank is now.

5. psycheskinner profile image82

It does work for hubs and your profile. For a private website or content site 2-3 would be good, anything higher would be excellent.

6. Chinaimport profile image77
    Chinaimportposted 9 years ago

Here is my take on PageRank

PageRank depends on the number of back links and it has nothing to do with the quality of the content.  A good article page may have a page rank of 0 whereas a webpage with little content may have high page rank.

SEO professionals manipulate page rank by creating artificial back links that distorts the search results.  Google has countered this threat by gradually shifting page rank away from public glare.  PageRank is still an important ranking factor but Google is deliberately down playing its role.

Another interesting fact about page rank is that it is expressed in a logarithmic scale (probably base 10) similar to the Richter scale.  A Page with PR3 is ten times more valuable than a page with PR2.  This is why it is difficult to outrank an article with PR4 or PR5

1. susi10 profile image97
      susi10posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the clarification and the informative post! So I guess PageRank will forever be important in the ranking factors but Google are trying to make it look the opposite. So I come to the conclusion that PR will always be important, no matter what Google say.

7. shelpeare profile image63
    shelpeareposted 9 years ago

PageRank is still important but not as important as one might think. By the way, the whole idea of what comes up on Google's first page is very subjective. I checked the word "cars" in google.tt (The Trinidad and Tobago version of Google) and my results were very different when I checked google.com. I have the tool SeoQuake downloaded so I can  also see a whole range of seo data when I do any search in Google or when I am on any website page. For Google.tt the PRs in order were PR 5,5, 6, 6, 4, 6, 4, 6, 3, Not Available, 7 and strange enough no tenth on the same page. For Google.com it was PR 7, 6, 5, 6, 5, 6, 6, Not Available, PR 7 and strange enough again no number 10 on the same page. So here are some observations:
    (1) Being on the first page in Google depends on WHICH Google you are on.                                                                             
    (2) PR does not affect the order one appears on the first page of Google because a PR 7 site was 9th in Google.com for the word "cars" while a PR 6 and PR 5 site were in second and third spot successively.                                                                                                                                                     
    (3) The PR 6 site that was in second spot on Google.com had only 9 pages indexed by Google while two Wikipedia pages were lower down in 5th and 6th place with their 12,100,000 pages indexed by Google.

8. psycheskinner profile image82

Pagerank absolutely affects how you appear in rankings, that is what pagerank is.  Yes a 3 might outrank a 4 for one particular key word the 3 is more focussed on. But across all keywords the 4 will win by miles.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)