Have we gone back to full width photos again?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years ago

I just realized that people are using full width images in their hubs again, even at the beginning.  The team used to tell us NOT to do that because at the top of the article a photo makes a post take to long to load and also takes up space that should be given to advertisers and in the middle it cuts off the flow of wording for the reader.  When the team talked about going to full width for mobile devices, I did not realize they also meant this for images.  Can someone please clear this up for me?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I answered on another thread.  Yes, it is because of mobile devices and it applies to all capsules.

1. RonElFran profile image96
        RonElFranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As far as the first image of the hub is concerned, is there a reason to make it full width? On mobile devices it will show that way anyway. So why not leave it half width for full sized screens?

You're absolutely right. 

As I understand it, the ONLY reason you need to manually make capsules full-size is if they're likely to display in the wrong order.

Since the first image will appear on top regardless, I prefer to leave it half-width - that way it looks good on both.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 9 years ago

Marisa that's a good point regarding them being full width on top anyway when viewed on mobile devices.

I prefer it on the right as well.

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I guess this is the new trend, but I personally don't want my hubs to have all the capsules full width, I think it looks dumb on larger screens.  Do we just forget about those who don't use phones now? sigh.  At least we can keep the intro pic at half width.

I'm with psycheskinner on this - I'm not changing.   The switch to full width capsules sounds like a knee-jerk solution by HubPages and I can't believe they won't come up with a more sophisticated solution eventually.   Then I'll have to change them all again.  So I'll wait!

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The HubPro editors are doing this and encouraging it for all mobile device views.  This is not limited to cell phones and smart phones.  Many, and I do mean many, use tablets more and more.  There is a site out there where you can actually cut and paste your hub URL into various "models" of devices to see how they will appear.  There are several cell phones, smart phones and tablets.  I have played around with it and it appears that the images do look best on the larger devices, the tablets.

Surely the HubPro editors are doing it because it's HubPages policy - not because it's necessarily best practice? 

None of my images is critical to the understanding of my Hubs, they're just decoration, so I'm not happy with the idea of them breaking across my text. 

I've been working on a shop site with a friend who is a constant user of both a tablet and a smartphone.   It's her shop, and I recommended she change the layout to make it more suitable for those devices - however when we tested the "better" layouts (which, like HP's suggestion, had fewer side-by-side elements), she hated all of them and the shop is now back the way it was, with images on the side!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Returning to say thanks for the tip about those sites, they are very useful.

The results are interesting to say the least.   I have some sites with right or left aligned images and yes, the images do move out of position.   However where I have thumbnail-sized images, they don't resize or move, and still look good.   So I'm thinking of redesigning some of my pages to show smaller images (with the option to zoom them if the reader wants).

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
          Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a great alternative. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)