Is it that Squidoo is unpopular or maybe I was not up-to-date.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. taiwokareem profile image60
    taiwokareemposted 9 years ago

It is surprising how I never heard of Squidoo before until about a week before Hubpages and Squidoo merged. I checked a website about 20 sites that pays for blogging and writing articles. Squidoo was first, then Hubpages, ContentBLVD, Helium, Triond, About.com and the rest mentioned are aliens to me

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I'd heard of Squidoo and even opened an account there at one time but never really did much with it. I found HP's functions were much more user friendly to an online writing "newb" like myself so I stuck with that.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

I was writing at Squidoo before HubPages had started.  My writing earned rather well there.

4. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 9 years ago

At one point in 2012, Squidoo was as high as #20 on Quantcast's list of the most-visited sites in the U.S. So it has been fairly popular, or at least received a lot of traffic, not all that long ago.

But the web is huge, and there's always nooks and crannies other people are using that we haven't found yet.

(E.g. did you know that a large proportion of people under the age of 30 are now getting their news primarily via what's shared on Tumblr?)

5. BritFlorida profile image70
    BritFloridaposted 9 years ago

I was only at Squidoo for a year and a half but I agree with relache - it was a great place for income. I hope HP is the same smile

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We have a Hubber who made over $5,000 on a single Hub in December.  Another Hubber made $3,000 from a single Hub during the same month.  You have that potential here, but only 1% of the writers here publish 50 Hubs.  99% stop writing here long before that point.

1. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's the nature of the topic and who's writing about it and how well they promote it outside the site where it is located which determines its earning potential.  Two different lensmasters with the same topic will make two different lenses, with different types of promotion and different outcomes. There's always scope to do better.

Squidoo had at least two different groups of lensmasters - eg those who focuses on seasons and "spending seasons" - and this became more obvious as Squidoo promoted money earning more and more (in contrast to its original purpose) and others, many of whom have been around for a long time who often wrote longer and more informational lenses. The latter might not look like money earners - but some kept giving month after month and year after year.

Bottom line it all depends on how you count the numbers and who's doing the counting! smile

taiwokareemposted 9 years agoin reply to this

well said

2. Writer Fox profile image32

Those income figures were not from Amazon sales, by the way.  They were from the normal HP Ad Program. Also, those Hubs were not on seasonal topics. They were both informational Hubs.

1. Writer Fox profile image32

Here's what those two Hubs did for HP traffic.  The two traffic spikes on the graph below are those two Hubs:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9220701_f248.jpg

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
            Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why did traffic on them spike on one day, then suddenly drop? Did something in national news cause a momentary interest?

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
              Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They went viral on Pinterest and Facebook.

3. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Those are amazing figures from individual hubs. Eye opening.

6. Desertdarlene profile image69
    Desertdarleneposted 9 years ago

I have also been writing at Squidoo since before HubPages started.  I've seen it up on those lists on sites to write for many times.

7. taiwokareem profile image60
    taiwokareemposted 9 years ago

The first time I checked Squidoo, I didn't like the outlook compared to Hubpages' and I actually like it here though even though my earnings here so far is nothing to write home about

8. Maximum A profile image72
    Maximum Aposted 9 years ago

I've heard about Squidoo when I was in college, but it was still its old platform then. It was so popular and it was well ranked in Google searches. I didn't join it at that time 'cause I though it was just a blogging site.

9. Dressage Husband profile image68
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

I am still new having come from Squidoo and my first effort here is earning a few cents everyday already. This is all Ad Program income so far. It seems to me that the HP ad program will give many more hubbers the chance to earn quite early on in the life of each Hub. This was not the case at Squidoo where you had to have volume and ranking to start earning anything at all.

Of course both platforms allow for Amazon and eBay sales, where your conversion skills will make a difference. Overall so far I feel that I will make quite a bit more here than I did at Squidoo.

10. kerbev profile image84
    kerbevposted 9 years ago

I had a few lenses that really peaked in traffic a few days a year, but never made much in sales, and due to the averaging of the month for lensrank, never really paid out well.  Hopefully they do much better here.

11. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

Odd - why am I suddenly seeing this message when I go to post a reply. I've not seen it before - and more to the point I don't have any Hubs!

Please note that forum posts that promote your own Hub will be deleted and may result in the closing of your HubPages account. Do not start threads for the sole purpose of promotion or posting links. Please use the Forums in the spirit of community! forum rules

Please check the HubPages FAQ before asking HubPages related questions in the forum.

taiwokareemposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it is just a guide to inform you about what to post and what not to post

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)