Category/Categories for Integrative and Lifestyle Medicine?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (12 posts)
  1. HealthfulMD profile image53
    HealthfulMDposted 9 years ago

I was exploring the categories in the Medicine and Science Topics and noticed that Integrative Medicine and Lifestyle Medicine are not included in the Medicine and Science Topics.

Explore»Education and Science»Medicine and Health Science
    http://hubpages.com/topics/education-an … ience/3750

These are both relatively new fields of Medicine, with Integrative Medicine and Lifestyle Medicine now having residency and fellowship programs available for physicians to take and board certification coming soon.

I am one of the Squidoo refugees and am looking at the various topics and categories here on HubPages to figure out where some of my lenses may fit.

Thank you for your consideration,

Kirsti A. Dyer MD, MS
    a.k.a, HealthfulMD on HubPages

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages!

You might look at this category: http://hubpages.com/topics/education-an … icine/3751

That is listed under the main topic:
      http://hubpages.com/topics/education-an … ience/3750

Or, look at this category:
      http://hubpages.com/topics/health/alter … edies/6759

That category is found under this topic:
      http://hubpages.com/topics/health/alter … icine/2497

Of the two, the second choice would be better for SEO purposes if you think your article will be rated highly by QAP.  The second choice has more competition on the main Topic page.

HealthfulMDposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Writer Fox.

I didn't see the Alternative Medicine listed under the Medicine and Health Science topic.

Education and Science»Medicine and Health Science»Alternative Medicine

It give me more options, but perhaps not the best ones.

Alternative Medicine is one of the older terms from the 1990's Integrative and Lifestyle Medicine are newer ones.

I tell my students that with Alternative Medicine you are often using these medicines "instead of" traditional medicine. With Complementary Medicine you are using these practices "in addition to" traditional medicine.

Integrative Medicine is defined by the Center for Integrative Medicine as "as healing-oriented medicine that takes account of the whole person, including all aspects of lifestyle. It emphasizes the therapeutic relationship between practitioner and patient, is informed by evidence, and makes use of all appropriate therapies."

Lifestyle Medicine is defined by the American Association of Lifestyle Medicine as "the evidence-based practice of helping individuals and families adopt and sustain healthy behaviors that affect health and quality of life. Examples of target patient behaviors include but are not limited to
        eliminating tobacco use, improving diet, increasing physical activity, and moderating alcohol consumption."

When all of your articles are transferred here, you can request a new category when you have at least five to put into a new category.

However, you don't want to be in a category where yours are the only Hubs.  Navigation changed on the site about a year ago and if your category has no other Hubs from other people, it simply will not have a good PageRank unless there are many other Hubs in the category from people with Editor's Choice Hubs.  Those Hubs will have a link to the category and boost the PageRank of the page. Other Hubs do not have a link back to the category. Without some Editor's Choice Hubs, the only internal links on HP will be the links from the Topic pages themselves.

The reason this is true is a long explanation, but it has to do with the implementation of the Editor's Choice Hubs.
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115372
          http://hubpages.com/faq/#Editors-Choice

(You have the option to opt out of that program.  I did. I would strongly advise writers of articles making the transfer from Squidoo to opt out of the Editor's Choice program.  Opting-in requires another 301 redirect of the URL.  That's one too many for Squidoo transfers.)

2. Christy Kirwan profile image89
          Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Helthful,

It sounds like currently the best place for your Hubs is under the Alternative and Natural Medicine Topic.

It can be found under Health> Alternative and Natural Medicine. There are also a number of subtopics under Alternative and Natural Medicine that may relate more specifically to the subject of your Hubs.

I can create a new Topic for Integrative Medicine and Lifestyle Medicine, but new Topic Pages can only display with 20+ Featured Hubs, so please be sure that you have created at least 20 Featured Hubs that belong exclusively under that Topic before requesting it.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Christy

Still getting use to all of the rules and regulations here at HubPages.

To Integrative Medicine Practitioners, Alternative Medicine is not the best fit.

I don't know if I'll have 20 lenses moving over that would fit into an Integrative Medicine hub (maybe 10), but it seems that there might be others that have content which would fit into the category.

I'll see once the lenses get here what category under general medicine may work and then re-request if I get upto 20 featured hubs.

2. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

Lifestyle and integrative medicine would be useful for quite a few of of my titles too.

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you can't find what you are looking for, may I suggest that you request Matthew Meyer to add the category you would need.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/119282

Thanks Sallybea

When I read the info, I thought that we were supposed to post requests in the forum.

Hopefully Matthew Meyer will read it after the holiday weekend.

Actually, Christy Kirwan is the employee who adds new categories to topic pages.

1. sallybea profile image94
            sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have previously worked with Matthew when I wanted a new category, my apologies.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image89
            Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do indeed create new Topics as needed, but Matthew often forwards along Topic requests to me from Hubbers, so feel free to address those requests to either of us. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)