Would anyone be willing to enighten me about the Jewish faith?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (40 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

My mom was Jewish, but I was not raised Jewish. I know almost nothing about the faith. Anyone here Jewish who could give me some facts about the Jewish faith?

1. janesix profile image61
      janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

try wikipedia.

peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was hoping to get something that wasn't basic wikipedia. I'm not that new to the internet.

2. wavegirl22 profile image47
      wavegirl22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

what would you like to know .. if you could be a bit more specific I think I can help you a little.

What is the family life like? I wonder if it changes the dynamics of relationships with family or people who are not jewish.

1. wavegirl22 profile image47

I recently read a book called "The Committed Life" by Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis.

It is a truly inspiring book that draws on the timeless wisdom of the Torah in a way that any and anyone can learn from. These days with the world in such an angry atmosphere high on entitlement and bitterness and low on kindness and generosity we find more and more people empty. This book though written by a wife of a rabbi speaks to all humankind as a source of strength and her stories she shares are truly inspiring.

Thanks for the tip. I will look it up.

3. ReuVera profile image82
      ReuVeraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it is very nice of you to be willing to learn more about your Jewish heritage. I as well as others here will be happy to help you. For the start, you might want to check "Jewish" hubs here, there are plenty. I have a lot of hubs about Israel and Jewish Holidays.  Wavegirl  has amazing hubs about Jewish holidays too.

Thanks I will check yours out.

4. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In the Jewish faith, if the women is Jewish, then the children born to her would be Jewish. You would be considered Jewish even if you don't practice the religion. With it comes the right to aliyah to Israel (that's the right of return).

If a child is born to a Christian woman and  Jewish father (as I was), then the child is not considered Jewish. I had to go through a process of conversation. However, my child was raised as a Jew because she was born to a Jewish mother (me) after I converted.

Jews have many different beliefs. It's part of the orthodox and hassidic school of thought that there is a messiah. Reformed/ and liberal Jews are just as likely to be atheists and Buddhists. That's because being Jewish is more than a religion. It's a nation of people. So just as Americans can have any religion, so, Jews, while mainly following the Jewish faith, can also have other faiths.

Essentially, when Jews speak about the being the chosen race, it means chosen to bring light, i.e. education, good living conditions, works of charity, etc. to the world.

Mystic Judaism (Kabalah) came about 600 AD. Orthodox about 18th Century. It has always been a religion that adapts to changing times. At one point, the people who protected Jews from Christian persecution were the Muslims.

Like the Muslims, Jews are a semetic race, i.e. not caucasian.

What else would you like to know?

Wow, sounds like being jewish is everything Christianity was not for me. So if I ever decided to convert I wouldn't have to because of my mother? Would the fact my father was Hispanic change anything?

1. Brainy Bunny profile image90
          Brainy Bunnyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, if your mom is Jewish then so are you, according to all denominations of Judaism. However, you may want to take a conversion class anyway to learn about basic Judaism, or study privately with a rabbi to see if identifying as Jewish and/or becoming ritually observant is the right thing for you.

Read up on the different denominations online, or visit local synagogues to see which one feels welcoming. Judaism is all about community, so take your time finding the right one.

2. profile image0

No, you don't have to convert. You're Jewish simply because your mother is Jewish. This came about at the time of the Roman empire. If a women had a child as a result of a Roman solider who raped her, the child was raised as a Jew. I've forgotten why the children of Jewish father's aren't permitted to be Jewish. However, that changes in the modern day with Reformed and Liberal Jews. In both these, regardless of which parent is Jewish, the child is accepted as Jewish provided s/he goes to shul (synagogue) and has a Bat/Bar Mitsvah.

When the State of Israel was created in 1948, as a result of the numbers of Jews that were lost, Ben Gurion allowed the right of Aliyah (the right or return) to anyone who had a grandparent who was Jewish - on either side. It didn't necessarily mean one was Jewish, but you could immigrate to Israel...

It is advisable, though, that if you want to live a Jewish life that you learn about its history, its way of life and more. There is a lot to learn.

Jewish wisdom is wonderful. To me, it's the best in the world. The community is very tight knit as well. Study is part of being Jewish - to be a light to mankind. smile Mitsvah (doing good deeds) is also a part of being Jewish.

2. ReuVera profile image82

It is more complicated. To be considered Jewish according Halacha law, not only your mother, but also your maternal grandmother should be Jewish. If a woman converted to Judaism before the birth of her child, her child will be considered Jewish, if the child was born before his mother's conversion, he will not be default Jewish. Adoptive non-Jewish children are not considered Jews even if they were adopted by Jewish parents.

God forbid, Sophia, from what well did you get your water?  Judaism is a Monotheistic Faith. There are different branches, Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform. Orthodox and Ultra Orthodox who are the most strict,  have several denominations (like Chasidic, Haredi for instance). Judaism is more than a religion, it is a nation. If a Jew is religious, he cannot be of any other Faith, except Judaism. A Jew can convert into another religion, but in this case he is NOT considered a Jew from the point of view of Halakcha. A Jew can be secular, agnostic or atheist and he is still considered a Jew. But not if a Jew accepted another god. A Jew CANNOT have another Faith except Jewish Faith.

Semitic has nothing to do with being Caucasian or not. It depends on a Jew and their ethnic background. There are Jews among all ethnic groups.

White Jews are - Caucasian. Black Jews are - black. Indian Jews are - Indian. Japanese Jews are - Japanese, etc.
        Jews come in ALL shapes, sizes, and shades. Jews NOT represent one unified ethnic group.

As far as I know my mother was born to both parents being Jewish. We did not practice any type of religion growing up. I have never been officially part of any belief (except lack of belief, atheism). Thank you for clearing up my ignorance on the race issue. I was unsure how that would work out if I was to get more involved.

2. profile image0

Um, I've been to shuls across the world and I've met Jews (their national identity) who've become Buddhists. I'm an atheist. I'm still a Jew. There are Messianic Jews - Jews who have taken on the Christian faith. I also have a childhood friend who has been a practising yogi (hindu) since about her mid-20s. She is still Jewish.

In the Reform and Liberal shuls, these people are still welcome. I also know many Israelis who do not have any belief in God and are atheist.

So, I'm sorry, while to be a Christian, one has to be believe in Chjrist, because being Jewish is as much an ethnicity as a nation and a religion, one can be an Sephardic Jew with Israelic nationality and be an atheist by choice.

3. profile image0

Actually, you're mistaken. Semitic is a race apart from caucasion. Check your facts.
          http://words.fromoldbooks.org/Wood-Nutt … races.html

The lady wasn't asking about  Halakcha Judaism. She was asking about Judaism and, in every respect, I was correct in what I said.

I am a liberal/reform Jew. I spoke to quite a few Rabbis during the years, and even if one takes on another religion, one does not lose one's Jewish nationality. One still has the right to aliyah and one is still considered Jewish.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Relax.

2. peeples profile image94

Thanks sofia. I read several things yesterday that confirmed you could be atheist and Jewish. Though I'm unclear how that would work for me. Thanks again.

1. ReuVera profile image82

Exactly, you can be Jewish even if you are an atheist.... as you are not worshiping any gods... However, if you worship any other god except Elohim, the One and the Only One for Jews, you are not a Jew, even if you consider yourself a Jew.

5. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As the older brother of the Abrahamic religions, Jews have had centuries of changing the beliefs of Judaism to suit whatever agenda they want, hence you'll find people calling themselves Jews and having extreme views, and beliefs from one another. Christianity and Islam are not far behind.

2. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 11 years ago

Thank you!

3. CarolineMichelle profile image81
    CarolineMichelleposted 11 years ago

The Jewish faith is quite varied mainly because Judaism is not just a religion. It is also a culture and ethnicity. While you can read online or in books about the Jewish faith, there are so many opinions that the concept can remain quite elusive.

You really must experience the faith and practices to gain a personal understanding. This requires more than just words on paper or screen.

My suggestion is that you visit a few synagogues near you to observe services. Local Jewish community centers also offer Judaism 101 classes that could be helpful in furthering your understanding. A Shabbat dinner (Friday night) at a Jewish family's home or attendance at one of the many holiday celebrations can be a wonderful way to truly experience the warmth and meaning of what it means to be part of the Jewish faith.

Because we are now celebrating the holiday of Hanukkah, it may be a good time to find out if any Jewish groups are having services, parties or menorah lighting ceremonies in your local area. I think it is wonderful you want to explore this part of your heritage, and I wish you all the best in truly experiencing the richness of Jewish faith and culture.

4. CarolineMichelle profile image81
    CarolineMichelleposted 11 years ago

You may also want to visit one of my favorite Jewish websites: http://www.aish.com/. They have great information about holidays, spirituality, culture, Israel and family.

Thanks!

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

All I know is that they don't go planting bombs and flying airplanes into buildings. So I am fine with them.

1. Repairguy47 profile image61
      Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

They actually do plant bombs, but they target those I don't like so I'm ok with it.

6. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 11 years ago

In olden times it was easy to know who your mother was and there was no way of proving fatherhood. But these days we have DNA testing, so why can't someone be Jewish even if only their father is Jewish?
    From a purely physical perspective, a child is more directly connected to their mother. The father's contribution to the production of a child is instantaneous and remote. The mother, on the other hand, gives her very self to the child . The child is conceived inside the mother, develops inside the mother, is sustained and nourished by the mother, and is born from the mother.

Jewishness is passed down by the mother because being Jewish is a spiritual identity, it defines our very being. And our very being we get from our mother, both in body and in soul.

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

8. Renee Abbott profile image80
    Renee Abbottposted 11 years ago

I was raised conservative Jewish. I consider myself a Jewitch, and yes there are many. I am also an African, Russian and French Jew by nationality.

The Sabbath 'queen' is Shekinah, who is one of the Goddess I follow. The kabblah is what I study, amongst other things. There are Jews who don't believe in G-d, but do follow the Jewish practices, well others do believe in G-d and do not. The Jewish religion does not believe in converting people, so you won’t see us knocking at doors.-.thank G-d. We are permitted to roam and search other beliefs, for honestly G-d does not care.

I personally have roam and study many religions and spiritual systems. I have a mind of my own, and am able to accept what makes sense to me, or what I believe through experiences. My Rabbi has given me the compliment of being like Abraham.

As a child born to a Jewish woman, you are a Jew. May you explore the religion with open eyes and arms? You will find many do not agree with each other, and this might be confusing, but to me it is beautiful. We do not need too, for it is not forbidden to think in broader views

9. wavegirl22 profile image47

I would like to give a few thoughts to what Renee Abbott has written.

First of all understand that there is a Jewish belief that Judaism is not just good for the Jewish soul, it’s natural for the Jewish soul. The soul feels at home when it says Hebrew prayers, experiences a Shabbat table, or puts up a mezuzah. These acts are what makes the Jewish soul comfortable. A Jew has an innate affinity towards Judaism.

Shekhinah is G-d's Presence. It is through the Shekhinah that humans can experience the Divine.
    The shehecheyanu blessing is recited, in addition to the regular blessing, whenever doing something for the first time that year, like doing a mitzvah, such as the first lighting the Chanukah candles, reading the Megillah on Purim, and taking the lulav..
    Baruch atah adonai eloheinu melech ha'olam shecheyanu v'kiy'manu v'higyanu lazman hazeh.

Understand first that....if you choose Judaism, you also need Judaism to choose you. Its like a covenant is a two-way deal. There's a tradition that a rabbi has to turn down a potential convert three times as the first measure of the convert's sincere desire to join the Tribe.
    I am not sure what this means but I can tell you that it is wise to remember that in a religion, you belong because you believe. In Judaism, you believe because you belong.

And lastly .. It is wise to understand the basics of Judaism before you dive into Kabbalah.

Thank you wavegirl and renee. I have spent several years as an atheist. I'm starting to question how much of an atheist I actually am. Wondering if Christianity is what turned me from belief or the actual idea itself of an all powerful being. In light of what happen to the childrn here in the U.S yesterday I struggle to understand how there could be any superior when this happens. I'm struggling to find my right path. Maybe being jewish isn't for me, yet I wouldn't feel right if I did not make sure. Thanks again

1. Renee Abbott profile image80
        Renee Abbottposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Peeples, I went through a few decades questioning this Cosmic Source. When my twin brother died at 20, I was so lost, and that was when i journey away from anything to do with G-d or any male being of divinity. Being also a psychic, I could not discredit things are beyond our own ego mind. I wrestled for a long time with this. Many groups from Native American, Hawaiian kahuna, and pagas embraced me, yet i did not fit it. It is a walk, and the journey never ends, but i am glad i searched and can now embrace what works for me.

10. Renee Abbott profile image80
    Renee Abbottposted 11 years ago

absolutely @wavegirl22. I do not recomment the Kabbalah for everyone. I am 61, and it was what helped me in my later years find my own place in Judaism.

me too Renee.

The first book I ever read about it is called "The Way" . An amazing book that opened my eyes to many things. I highly recommend it. The author is Michael Berg.

1. Renee Abbott profile image80
        Renee Abbottposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Another good book Wavegirl is " The Woman's Kabbalah" by Tirzah Firestone. She is a rabbi and offers a lot in her book.
        Thank you for the book recommendation .

And I thank you for your recommendation.

As it is written in the Talmud
                           One persons candle is the light for many

11. wavegirl22 profile image47

Baruch Hashem!

@peeples- I can not begin to tell you how amazing our religion is. There is a reason for everything and for everything there is an answer. Though sometimes it takes a bit more understanding to 'get it'. But it is truly something I think you should 'learn' or at least begin to. When I say learn it takes on a whole different connotation from how we learn to tie our shoes. We are forever learning, and when you start to 'learn' about the history of our people and everything that comes with our traditions I think you may understand more of what I am trying to say.

As for me, I was raised in a very "assimilated" family. We were cultural Jews. I knew that I was but I was never taught what it meant. Holiday dinners were always celebrated (Passover (but never a real seder) Rosh Ha Shana (the New Year) Yom Kippur (I never had to fast) and so on. But as I grew older I was curious to understand,  and so when I had my daughter I started to 'learn'

And to this day I am continually amazed and I continue to learn.

12. Robert Levine profile image83
    Robert Levineposted 9 years ago

Dear Peoples,

I recommend reading Rabbi Joseph Telushkin's book Jewish Literacy.  Like another of the respondents, I'm a convert born to a Jewish father & Christian mother.  Also, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have as best I can.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)