Any Question about Judaism

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (51 posts)
  1. menash profile image58
    menashposted 11 years ago

Don't hesitate ask anything you want....

1. aka-dj profile image64
      aka-djposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why be a Jew?
      Besides being born into it?

menashposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Being Jewish is a privilege, Jewish people are the chosen nation. It's waking up in the morning and feeling confident that i have a purpose on this earth. It's going through the day and knowing that I am gaining in this world as well as the world to come.

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A follow up question to dj's. Since you claim to be the chosen nation.

Being a member of the religion that started this whole 'i'm chosen and you aren't' philosphy that permeates monotheism...do you feel any sense of responsibility for the strife this type of thinking causes in the world?

1. livelonger profile image86
            livelongerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jews don't feel any responsibility for how other religions interpret or (mis)use Jewish concepts any more than a hammer manufacturer feels responsible when one of his products intended for carpentry is used to bash someone in the head.

1. profile image0

But if you use the hammer for the express purpose of bashing people in the head and claim you were chosen by God to do it; you bear no responsibility when others follow suit? Claiming it is now their responsibility to continue the bashing?

I don't have anything against any religion. The question came up by the way menash chose to rationalize his religion.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
                MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think LL was talking about how other faiths saw the Jewish faith rather than how they saw themselves.  In which case it really is uncontrollable and not to be worried about.

1. profile image0

I am aware of that. But, he was responding to my post so I wanted to be clear as to why I asked the question.

2. livelonger profile image86

That's a question for Christians, so neither I nor menash can answer that. (Just so it's clear, I'm not accusing Christians of bashing anyone in the head, but I'm keeping with the analogy I used before; Christians use certain concepts that were "originally" Jewish in a way different from the way Jews do.)

According to the Jews God asked all the nations if they wanted the bible before he even approached the Jews each nation declined besides the Jews that is why we are the chosen nation.

Um, yes, that's exactly the midrash I described yesterday.

And who's doing the choosing?

2. profile image0

I get the impression you aren't following. Let's back up. Menash claims Jews are chosen..... Some Christians claim the Jews lost the right to call themselves that and the Christians are God's chosen.....Some Muslims claim the Jews got it wrong and God had to straighten things out with a message to Mohamed so the Muslims are . God's chosen.

Everybody wants to be chosen. And they fight for the glory of God, for their 'homeland' or whatever. Depending on which of the monotheistic branches you view.

You are the one who brought up head bashing (which, considering the rising threat of violence in the Middle East between Iran and Israel isn't off base). Menash is the one who brought up chosen. I'm asking a simple question.

If he thinks he's chosen by God he is part of the problem and a member of the religion who first made the claim. Does he think his religion bears any responsibility for starting this whole ridiculous philosophy?

Maybe you haven't followed this entire thread. As I stated before, the predominant Jewish concept of chosenness has nothing in common with how menash, Christians, and Muslims have conceived it to be. If other religions have taken a concept and made it into something else you find distasteful, what does that have to do with Judaism?

You've also made the simultaneous claim that everyone wants to be chosen, but that Judaism started the whole thing. Does Judaism predate all other religions? Do non-Abrahamic religions never have the concept of being chosen?

2. pennyofheaven profile image79
                    pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It all sounds rather childish when I think about. Like little kids when they are fighting over who they believe their parents love the most?

What if, everyone were the chosen one. That would end the squabble.

(PS I am still not sure what they are chosen for or chosen to do)

3. menash profile image58

We believe it's a fact that we were chosen, whether or not others might want to follow suit is their own responsibility!

3. menash profile image58

Yes, of course you don't bear responsibility, each person is responsible for his or her actions.

Explain what you mean by chosenness. My understanding might be different from yours.

3. pennyofheaven profile image79

If being a Jew gives you confidence and purpose for living I see that as a good thing.

What is your purpose I am interested to know?

big_smile
            It's also worth mentioning that there's nothing in Judaism to support that it's the sole path to righteousness. You can follow another religion or none at all and still be a good person. The measure is your personal conduct.

1. pennyofheaven profile image79

I agree.

2. menash profile image58

Spoken like a person who knows nothing about what hes talking about. Jewish way is that there is only one way of doing it, for Jews you have 613 laws and for gentiles you have 7.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
                MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow... it's just as funny when a Jew says "You aren't a Real Jew" as it is when a Christian says "You aren't a Real Christian".

Nice to know that holier-than-thou crosses faith lines.  Somehow it restores my faith in religion... as it is obviously a personality quirk rather than a religious teaching.

A good way of looking at it! Yes, we have self-righteous, exclusionary people in our religion, as does any religion large enough to have different factions. Even among those centrally-controlled religions (Judaism isn't one of them), it's impossible to force everyone to believe and act the same way.

How is what you've said in any conflict with what I said?

3. pennyofheaven profile image79

Gees, who gave that many laws? Was whoever melancholic?

4. aka-dj profile image64

Thank you, but I don't think that answers my question.

The "why" part.

Yes, it may be a privilege, but so is being born in the west.
          So is being complete (ie, born with all physical parts intact and fully functioning)
          So is having intelligence, emotions and family.

But, we all have the latter, but only Jews have the former?

I notice you have not answered my question.

Agreeing with pennyofheaven, if you don't intend to answer questions you asked people to post, maybe reconsider posting them.

Even if you said "I don't know", or "I don't have an answer", at least you stand by your OP.

(PS. not upset, just sayin big_smile)

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Around January 2012, I read a report here on Hub Pages, of a new Jewish Movement that supposedly started in New York calling itself,   "Jews for Jesus" It was reported that this Jewish Sect was openly declaring that Jesus was indeed the "Messiah" that their ancestors two thousand years ago had Crucifed.
      They also reported that this Jewish movement was starting to be witnessed in Israel and was growing throughout the different Jewish sects in both Israel and America.

Is this Jewish Sect for real? Is it still actively growing? Will the Jewish world community finally openly admit that the crucified The Christ, The Messiah, The Son of God?

We feel no threat because as God has promised and has kept his promise, Jews will never perish. Enormous kingdoms like Rome and Greece lasted a couple of hundred years yet a minority like the Jews lasted and is lasting thousands of years, as promised.

3. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What does God have to say about Gentiles? Do we go to heaven with you guys?

Yes if you keep the seven laws of Noah...

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
          Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes this is what I have read before. Which is rather good news if true because they are an easy burden and a light yoke.

It's 100 percent true!

4. pennyofheaven profile image79

Please do try and answer everyone's questions as best you can. There are many you have completely ignored. If you want to start a thread encouraging people to ask questions you need to be prepared to answer them. So far, you have not answered Dave's, Emiles, Xenolit, aka dj and my questions.

Exactly.
        Nor this one you just posted. big_smile

I will repeat myself next! big_smile

livelongerposted 11 years ago

I will offer my perspective. Note that unlike centralized churches like the Catholic or Mormon Churches, there is no such thing as official doctrine in Judaism, and there are plenty of (valid) views with respect to theological matters. There's also the predominant viewpoint, which, I have to say menash is not representing.

"Chosenness" has historically and commonly been a reference to the covenant, or agreement between Jews and God. There was nothing superior about Jews except that, according to religious legend, they chose the covenant when all the other nations of the world rejected it. There is even a popular midrash (exegetical story/parable) in which God offers the covenant to all the stronger/better nations of the world, and finally offers it to the Jews, the weakest and most unremarkable people, who finally accept it. That this weak/unremarkable people would persist for millennia and enjoy a special prominence in the world's progress is due to the transformative power of the covenant, the mitzvot (commandments - there are hundreds of them) that Jews are obligated to perform.

I have to say it is rare among Jews to tout being "the chosen nation" unless they're ignorant about what the covenant has been historically understood to entail.

3. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 11 years ago

lot of  "choosing"  going on in this thread,... i was always of the understanding that God does not choose a person,..... the person chooses God.

many wars have been fought, many lives sacrificed, many kingdoms built up and torn down because men claimed God was on thier side,...

i would rather be on the side of god than to foolishly and arrogantly assert that he were on mine.

Bingo!

4. menash profile image58
    menashposted 11 years ago

Most Jews hold that being the "Chosen People" means that they have been place on earth to fulfill a certain purpose. Traditional proof for Jewish "choosiness" is found in the Torah, the Jewish bible, in the Book of Deuteronomy (chapter 14) where it says: "For you are a holy people to Hashem your God, and God has chosen you to be his treasured people from all the nations that are on the face of the earth." In the Book of Genesis (chapter 17) it also written: "And I [G-d] will establish My covenant between Me and you [the Jewish people] and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants after you."

1. pennyofheaven profile image79

So the purpose is already preordained? And you have to find just what this is?

2. a49eracct profile image60
      a49eracctposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This reads the same in my Bible. I guess I don't understand where the difference pops up, I've always been told that the Jewish don't believe Jesus was the Son of God...

Jews don't believe that at all, we believe Jesus was a Jew who strayed from the Jewish religion.

5. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

Where are the African Jews? I read that there was a group near South Africa.

Who are the Ashkenaz and Sephardim? (My spelling might be off, here).

What is the difference between Kosher, observant and non observant.

There are many African Jews. The most well-known is called Beta Israel ("House of Israel") from Ethiopia; many of them now live in Israel. But there are Jews pretty much everywhere. There is another group, the Lemba, in South Africa.

Ashkenazi Jews are Jews from Eastern Europe, while Sephardi Jews are from Mediterranean/Southern Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East.

Kosher just means food that follows the rules of kashrut (things like not eating pork or shellfish, not eating meat and dairy together, etc.). Observant and non-observant has to do with how closely a person observes/follows the commandments; there are technically over 600, although since the destruction of the Second Temple in Jerusalem, only a few hundred are still able to be performed.

1. Xenonlit profile image59
        Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  That was a fantastic answer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)