Most of entire Hubpages site copied

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (40 posts)
  1. outdoorpursuits profile image76
    outdoorpursuitsposted 9 years ago

Perhaps this is already widely known, but I have just found most of my hubs copied in their entirety on hubinfo.net
    There are literally thousands of our hubs there, all categorized, basically a cheap replica of hubpages.  Is there anything to be done about such a site?

1. Dale Hyde profile image82
      Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was not aware of the website, however I see that it appears to be a WordPress blog.  I also found many copied Hubs there just on the front page.

To file a DMCA request with WordPress, you can view the instructions at the below link:
      http://automattic.com/dmca-notice/

Again, this is assuming it is a WordPress blog.  I am not familiar with the language and I know the domain is not "WordPress", but my Blogger blog does not have a "Blogger" domain.

If it is not a WordPress site, then you can file a DMCA complaint with Google at the below link:
      https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools … otice?rd=1

2. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks to everyone who provided help with trying to get this site pulled down.  I have over eleven hubs on here and have now written to them.  I have been trying for ages to try to get the right information to file a DMCA for this site.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This appears to be a foreign site...probably Russian judging by the language hints.  Filing a DMCA will be meaningless in this case.  Contact Google Directly to have the site taken down.

1. rmcrayne profile image89
        rmcrayneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually the words are Turkish.  Lived there 3 1/2 years.  They didn't have copyright laws.  Lots of shops specialized in knockoff luggage and handbags with high end logos brazenly copied. Lots of shops with names like "JC Penney" and such.

1. colorfulone profile image79
          colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Black markets that don't need to go underground, huh.

I hope the site can be taken down.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

I was guessing but either way, there's not much we can do when thieves come from countries that have no copyright laws.

4. SandyMertens profile image75
      SandyMertensposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This just made my heart sink. Why are are there people like this?

2. outdoorpursuits profile image76

Thanks for the help Dale,

I will check into sending a DMCA complaint, I always wonder how effective it will be with a site that is obviously completely reliant on copying other sites.  I wonder if it is even worth the time?

I have filed at both places depending on the site involved and I have had positive results every time, and there has been a lot of times.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you see a site that's stolen your work, and it looks like they've done it innocently, then file a DMCA with the site.

If it's obvious they are doing it deliberately, then don't waste your time contacting the site - go straight to their host and complain direct to them.

I had a horrible experience on "Wizard Forums" not long ago when I approached the site about the content copied.  Talked bad and down to, and even "cursed", lol.  Not that I worry too much about the latter.  They would not respond to my message so I posted in their thread and the results, attack. smile

I go to the host and then Google nowadays.  Too much of a hassle to deal with site owners, or blog owners, plus the delay in waiting for a response.  Just my opinion and how "Dale" does it. smile

Less hassle with the yin and yang is best. smile

Perhaps I am wrong. More could make us stronger.

3. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
    Ramkitten2000posted 9 years ago

Looks like web host is Netdirekt A.S

The email I found for filing DMCA notices is technik@netdirekt.de

4. outdoorpursuits profile image76

Thank you both for your help.  This is all very new to me, though I have been writing on HP for more than a year with various accounts.  I have only just discovered a bunch of my hubs having been copied as I am re-publishing some hubs from another account of mine - only to find HP flagging them as "duplicate" - that I deleted and de-indexed a few weeks ago after traffic was crushed by Panda.  This will be my first DMCA experience and I will follow the guidelines that HP outlines in its FAQ, hopefully it goes well.

5. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

Did anybody inform the HubPages Team?

When it's wholesale copying of the website then the best people to get another site taken down and all the copies removed is the HubPages Team.  Or at least that's what used to happen on Squidoo and I assume the HQ team must have experience of doing the same thing.

There's no point in everybody going to the effort of sorting out their sites when one call from HubPages to the website host will get the whole site taken down.

outdoorpursuitsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have now contacted the HP team directly about this site, see what happens.

6. Steve Witschel profile image87
    Steve Witschelposted 9 years ago

I found two of mine on there with very little effort in searching. Sigh,

7. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 9 years ago

I have contacted netdirekt explaining the situation and they have replied saying they have forwarded it to their abuse department who will investigate.

Their customer support email is support@leaseweb.de

1. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Update - I just got a reply back from abuse@leaseweb.de saying it was nothing to do with them and I needed to contact Netdirekt.

I have replied pointing out that I sent my email to the Netdirekt email address and was replied to by support@leaseweb.de who forwarded my email onto abuse@leaseweb.de

Will post another update when I get a reply

8. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

Thanks for the notification. I have also just filed a DMCA with Google- thank you Dale. Let's hope this site is extinct within a few days.

9. missolive profile image59
    missoliveposted 9 years ago

Thank you for the notification, a significant amount of my hubs have been copied, I'll be filing today.

10. Pico Triano profile image87
    Pico Trianoposted 9 years ago

Thanks. I found two of my articles there in less than a minute. I expect they've plagiarized all of them.

11. daisydayz profile image84
    daisydayzposted 9 years ago

Found a few of mine on there already, my number 1 article too, which is really annoying!! Ive filed DMCA's in the past, but usually had them taken down after talking directly to the owner (although this did result in abuse once!) This whole site needs closing, almost every article seems to be stolen!

1. Pico Triano profile image87
      Pico Trianoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I saw several hubs besides mine over there. The site needs to be closed. I don't think there is any original content there at all.

outdoorpursuitsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

exactly, I saw no original content there either, just lots of our hubs.

12. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

Make sure you tell the HubPages Team every time you find a hub copied. This might be one of the reasons for the poor traffic - and hence provides some incentive for them to help get the site taken down!

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HubPages cannot and will not file DMCA's for you; it is your task to protect yourself.  HP has done all it can by giving instructions in the help section as to how to file.

1. makingamark profile image69
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

All I know is that Squidoo used to get imvolved if and when there is a mass takeover of a site's content.

Hubpages would have to be very stupid to not get involved if there's LOTS of hubs that have been copied. It just makes HubPages look spammy in Google's eytes - and I thought one of the important drivers was to avoid looking spammy

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting, because HP has always said they can't get involved because they are not the copyright holder, and only copyright holders can file DMCA's.

In the past we've had numerous campaigns, when one Hubber has discovered a scraper site, posts on the forums and then we all bombard the host with DMCA's.  It would be nice if that weren't necessary.

1. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
            Ramkitten2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just chiming in to second what Makingamark said: I remember Squidoo stepping in on at least a few occasions over the six years I was there to help take down sites that had literally scraped all or a huge percentage of the content on the site. On at least one occasion, the offending site looked almost like a replica of Squidoo.

13. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
    Ramkitten2000posted 9 years ago

I know this is SO cynical, so chalk it up to venting, having logged on to HP one day recently to find a bunch of little red c's in circles on my account and my work stolen over and over again....

More and more it feels like all we online content creators are doing is supplying the scrapers and other plagiarists with their VERY passive income. And what I'm finding is that even sending DMCAs to some of their web hosts is useless. It's almost like the hosts (most of which I've never heard of before) are in on the scheme. I get canned responses back about not hearing from me for 48 hours, so they're closing the ticket. Hear from ME? It's MY content that's been stolen! Ugh.

I know...contact Google. I'm doing that little by little as I have time. In the meantime, more little red c's in circles appear. I can't keep up.

Okay, rant done ... sorta.

14. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

Try the scraper report form, it's quicker to fill out, it stands a better chance of working, and you can even use it to report it when you see someone else's content get stolen.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Pw1KVO … Y/viewform

1. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Kylyssa - very useful, will definitely be making use of that link.

15. sbalazi1014 profile image60
    sbalazi1014posted 9 years ago

it is ture. we should try our best to creat orginal hubs

16. tirelesstraveler profile image60
    tirelesstravelerposted 9 years ago

R.I.P.E can help if it is a foreign account.  Wilderness wrote a hub telling how to file DMCA's and how to find the isp for a given sight. It takes some doing but it works.  I wonder if the HP team has thought of having R.I.P.E. mediate for us if so many of their hubs are on that sight.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Why don't you send an email to the team and ask them!

17. outdoorpursuits profile image76

Wow, thank you all for your help and information on this topic.  As I said, this is my first experience with copied content and it is such a frustration as I am reposting my own original work only to find that it now appears as the duplicate work and if it does somehow get published, google will view it as duplicate work and it will never rank well.

Hopefully the DMCAs to google can get the entire site brought down.

I have had no response from the HP Team on this after contacting them directly, see what happens on Monday or Tuesday.

18. outdoorpursuits profile image76

Update:

I emailed the HP team to inform them directly about this site on Friday Nov. 21, it is now Wednesday Nov 26 and, unfortunately, I have had no response yet.  I know they are busy with all of the current upheavals with HP, but hopefully they can lend a hand dealing with an entire site dedicated to copying all that HP has to offer.

Until then, we'll see if all our DMCAs to google and such will prevail.

Thanks for your help on this everyone!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)