Death of a Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

I am paring down my pages where they seem to have given up getting traffic for whatever reason.  It seems that ever since the first Panda - 2011 - I have been involved in a losing battle to keep my traffic where it was.

I thought I would move another page away from HP as it is doing very little - nothing really.  I idly checked the stats screen and it was kind of shocking to see the decline. No... it never was a great performer - but it didn't get that much worse over the years, and neither did any competition try to grab that slot.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12014232.jpg

No point to my post - just a bit sad that's all.

1. Venkatachari M profile image84
      Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I have been your follower but never had time or might have missed. Just I went through your hubs and they are so funny, awesome and entertaining. You have great talent in drawing. I do not see why you say your hub is dying. It is so great and will get good traffic always. You must keep on posting new ones to be in stream. I hope you are revamping everything that is why they are showing as recent posts, whereas actually they are very old ones.

2. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

yeah, try to revamp those dead hubs. I have tens on dead hubs, revamp them and up going now

3. Solaras profile image96
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do you know what the "Other" source of views is? Maybe you could expand or nurture that referral source and forget about Google.

Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Solaras.  I don't really care about those dribbles of traffic now.  My humour / waste of time stuff is moving and I plan to put a few months into my new site instead.  Results may be worse, same or better but I think it is worth a go.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can actually see you becoming famous as a newspaper cartoonist, especially with you sense of humor.  Why not give that a try...you could probably do very well there.

Hey thanks.  I didn't really want this thread resurrected but as people are being so nice....

I often think about sending a cartoon to Private Eye (satirical magazine).  One day.

1. janderson99 profile image54
          janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12193602_f248.jpg

Lol. Excellent.

2. Writer Fox profile image31
            Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm in mourning.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12194641.jpg

2. Michael Kismet profile image90
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

Hi Mark

This might be a feeble attempt to console you, but months ago I checked out your website, and enjoyed it immensely.  I was planning to express how much I liked it, but was sidetracked and never got around to it.. now is a good a time as any I suppose--your site made me literally laugh out loud, at work!

The premise of no advertisements? That was awesome! If you chose to monetize the site, I'm sure you would do quite well, solely based on how entertaining it is..anyway, hope things pick up, you're very creative and original, you'll think of something..

Well thanks Michael, much appreciated!  I have now put ads on in a minimal way but my main concern is to create content worth a view.  Cheers.

2. colorfulone profile image79
      colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

There are no guarantees on any site, that a topic will perform well, or at least continue to maintain some search traffic. It is sad that G's Panda updates results in having to move content around.

I hope that your Weebly web-site is still doing well, it sure does look nice, Mark.

Thanks colorfulone - it is slowly getting there smile  As for search traffic - well as you say - no guarantees anywhere.

3. Oztinato profile image74
      Oztinatoposted 9 years ago

Hi Ewbie
      If you cant make money on HP nobody can. Your work is excellent. Humour is so difficult.
      I am sure you can make a success in some field like the movies. The stick men are fine on HP but expand your art in other digital mediums/sites/movies etc.
      The knack of a great humourist is to intangibly communicate their humour to others: you have that great ability.
      Arise Sir Ewbie and take your rightful place in the arts.

Thanks Sir!  Humour is extremely difficult to sell - in my opinion.  No one looks for it, when they get it they don't want it... or understand it.  Mostly it has been a glorious failure.

I am treating the experience as part of a very long apprenticeship.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
          Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your humour is great and I will sorely miss it if you go.

But poetry, creative writing and humour are long known not to make money on HP. It is the genre. When people Google problems, they want solutions....that's why those with factual "answer" type hubs tend to get more traffic.

To make money, you'd need to figure out how to get Google traffic interested in your stuff. I can only guess that you'd be far better off focusing on social traffic, because it's an environment where people relax and enjoy artistic-type things like creativity and humour.

The only problem with social is that you have to do lots and lots of it and keep doing it. It does eventually gain momentum into a snowball, but can take a long time because you have to crack different readerships and channels and do lots and lots of excessive amounts of marketing, usually in like minded groups and communities. If you focus on one niche area (and you're lucky - you do!) then you can join those communities and keep marketing your stuff over and over to increase readership.

I wish you all the best!

It would be lovely if you'd drop back and let us know if you're having an easier time of it on your own new site. I'd be interested to hear! I tried my own sites awhile ago and failed to get them earning anything much, I believe mostly because it was a hodge podge of topics and I lost motivation too.

2. Oztinato profile image74
          Oztinatoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ewbie
          I think you need to try script writing for movies or comedians or a cartoonist.
          Dont throw away great ideas on HP for all to steal.
          The drawings too contain original ideas that can also be used by others. Its the ideas in the drawings that are valuable. A person could do a great technical drawing but it could be bereft of ideas.

4. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

So that is what hubs look like that get traffic!  At least your hub has a heartbeat.  Here is mine.  That one visit at the beginning was probably mine, when I wrote the hub.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12193457_f1024.jpg

Wow!  That is kind of impressive.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
          Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. If you can't be the best, you might as well be the worst!

5. clivewilliams profile image73
      clivewilliamsposted 9 years ago

The hub shall rise gain like the phoenix and soar through the search traffic of Google and bring forth an Armageddon of visitors that will sweep through you hub pages, reading hubs after hubs and buying everything in amazon. I bestow upon you the accolade of resurrection.

Thanks Clive!

Makes a nice change from SEO suggestions.

6. Easy Exercise profile image85
      Easy Exerciseposted 9 years ago

Hi Mark,
      You probably have already done this but if not, I did not wish for you to miss out. I have had tremendous results out on Pinterest - it is a world new world. I have not yet tried Instagram but the internet world is predicting Instagram will be even more important to traffic.
      I hope this helps.
      I will go out to your account and post a couple of your drawings.
      You are very talented and I feel your pain when a hub dies. One of the many things I love about HubPages is the team effort here, it is not just you solo - we are here to support and help.
      Blessings!

Oh well thanks EE!  I should moan more often.  I WILL moan more often.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)