My wish for 2015: Allow author to disable HubberScore on profile

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (49 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image96
    sallybeaposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7435407_f520.jpg
    I would like to make a formal request to Hubpages staff for an option to switch off our profile score.  Lets start off the new year afresh without the need for anyone ever having to waste their time discussing this subject ever again.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is a nice thought, Sally.  If they are always saying for us to not worry about our score, then why have it?  However, those who have 100 for a score may not appreciate it going away.

2. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You know *I agree!
      Plus, I want my own personal football shaped bubble.

3. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i don't mind the hubscore, mine always fluctuate. I want the unfeature function vanish!

4. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like the score.  How else can I tell who is worth talking to?

sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In the end of it I think looking at some of the views expressed here, there is some merit to the score if it is indeed a judge of writing ability rather than character.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
          Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was kidding, but it does help you distinguish who you are talking to.  When I see a low hub score, and someone is asking for advice, I assume they are new (either to the site, or haven't been around much), and can make sure I present my advice in that manner.

If they have a low score, and there is spam or jibberish, it makes it easy to report them, knowing they set up their account to post the spam or jibberish.

I know you were kidding and you do give good advice so keep it coming.

5. Stove And Home profile image94
      Stove And Homeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't pay attention to my score at all.

It is not worth your attention as it is pretty meaningless but there are people who really see it as demotivatingm  which is why I would like an on and off switch.  We need every bit of encouragement, not discouragement.

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
          LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm hearing you, Sally. But we also want to encourage readers to rely on HP, not discourage them.

To remove hubber scores from view may encourage writers who still don't 'get' what is required on hp to keep creating many more pages that lower the quality (and value) of the site in general. Is that a good thing?

You have a 96. You know how to write. What about those whose hubber score remains at 60 or less? Clearly there are issues in their construction of hubs that need addressing. I'd view a very low hubber score as 'encouraging' me to fix my hubs and improve my skills.

You have a valid point and I do agree with you.  I definitely want to encourage writers rather than have them feel discouraged.

Sally, I suspect there are fewer things more discouraging to writers than having nobody read what they've written (and on hp, therefore, not making any income).

Hiding scores won't fix hubs that need improvement ... but displaying scores gives writers a reminder of how they're doing.

New writers suffer low scores at first, and then the satisfaction of seeing their scores rise as they publish more hubs and fine-tune their writing skills.

At some point the emphasis (and satisfaction) should shift from pursuing a higher score to enjoying/pursuing increased traffic and earnings. A score of 100 does not guarantee readers or income, just as a score lower than 100 does not prevent readers or income.

There are plenty of websites and forums where people can write without a number linked to their names. Of course, you won't have a clue whether they write something useful or just write complete crap until you click on their posts ... which is what makes hp refreshingly different (in my view).

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

I like the profile score. It gives us something to rant about when we are bored. lol

You see, there is always one:)  Bored!  You, Never!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

I do indeed believe 2015 is going to be a very interesting year.

I hope so, I think the stage has been set to make it so.  I have great hopes.

3. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Sally, I agree it would stop a lot of complaining in the forums. Maybe they could make the profile score private so we can only see our own..but then that would not stop us complaining would it?

Exactly, a button which allows you to either display or not display your score.  Wonder how many would display theirs if they were under 90 for instance, especially if they had a choice.

4. Michael Kismet profile image91
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

As long as we're making formal requests, let's bump the 60/40 impression split to 70/30. I don't think it'll ever happen, but it's nice to think about. smile

One can dream, pie in the sky I think.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Actually, in conjunction with getting rid of the author referral program, that is a darned good idea.

Sounds good, shall we propose it on the suggestions page?   What a shame it was not a question on the HubPages survey this morning.  Actually I would like to see a meaningful survey with lots of questions on it.

5. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Bonuses. First one if you make 3 years and 50 hubs (700+ word count), second one at 5 years and 100 hubs. Incentives work wonders for employee morale and motivation. smile smile smile

It sure does Jan - in all honesty could you recommend HubPages to a friend!
      On a community level I give HubPages top marks but there it stops.  For me the best thing that ever happened was when I won one of the competition prizes - that made up for months on low earnings.  It would be great to have one of those again.

1. DrMark1961 profile image94
        DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

My earnings are okay, and I probably would recommend this site to friends but none of them speak or read English. HP has this funny policy about not allowing hubs to be published in other languages!
        As far as bonuses, I have seen a few hubbers that publish 1oos of articles but none of them are even worth reading. I would not want to share my earnings with them, nor do I think they are reading forums and learning how to perform better.
        So should the bonuses just come from HP side of the business? I think they earn their percentage of the split. My wish is that HP stays active for another year, and continues to improve and find ways to attract more traffic from the search engines.

I do agree that this is a great platform to write on and like every business it has to pay for itself.  I also agree that it is far better to write great hubs over a much longer period than just churn them out for the sake of it.  I very much hope HP stays active for a very long time.  It has been interesting however for me to see that my own site is performing well within just a few weeks of starting it.  My Adsense earnings stats tell me I am doing a lot better from my own site than I am from HubPages.

2. janshares profile image92
        jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When HP asks that question on their survey, I've given it a 7. It depends on a person's individual goals. If they are into community, I'd say by all means join, 10++

You nailed it:)

6. Marie Flint profile image72
    Marie Flintposted 9 years ago

I admit that I enjoyed the brief moment that my hubber score reached 100, but I could certainly live without a number pasted on my picture (I'm not a criminal, and it detracts from my lovely selfie--ha! ha!).

If I had one wish, it would be to have the enthusiasm I had for Hub Pages when I first started. At that time, HP was paying people a little bit to take the Tutorial, which has since vanished.

I'm also getting a little bored with the same old capsule setup. We still can't left flush a text capsule--and do we really, really have to strive for that stellar hub? I, for one, could use a change.

One thing I must credit Hub Pages staff for is the promptness of a response when I email the team with a problem or question, which is relatively rare, but when I do ask, I get an answer! So, thank you, Hub Pages Team!

Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year to all!

I so agree with you, you sum up the situation perfectly.  HubPages staff has always responded quickly and even acted on suggestions I have made. 
      My score went up to 97 and stayed there a week or so and then I published another hub yesterday.  It immediately went down two points, rather disappointing, much nicer to reward people for effort rather than take away a couple of digits!
      You have a great Christmas.  You deserve it.
      Sally

7. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

To be honest, I find the hubber scores are generally pretty accurate at indicating the likely quality of a hubber's hubs. (I'm grateful for being spared the frustration of visiting a 30s or 50s hubber who may appear in my feed, and I can approach an 80s or 90s with confidence there'll be a good read to be found.)

Let's not forget, this is a writers' site. HubPages promises readers they can "Discover a wealth of genuine, unique information" ... and it invites writers to "Create original, in-depth, useful, media-rich Hubs."

Writers who meet that description in their hubs find their hubber score rises. Those who choose to disregard elements (including 'useful' or 'in-depth') are unlikely to hit 100. I think that's fair. It doesn't prevent most hubs from being published, and writers are still able to be creative and present different kinds of hubs.

I write what I write. HP assigns me a hubber score. It fluctuates, but I'm not going to stress about why. I'm happy to be viewed as less than perfect. smile

I think you have a point though I find that the hub score and the profile score certainly don't match up.  I am fortunate enough to have a reasonable profile score but my actual hub scores went down about ten percent when Panda struck and have never recovered.  The interesting thing is that since the new look older hubs of mine are right at the top whereas they seldom got a view before.

8. Shades-of-truth profile image82
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

That number is a score? I thought it was my number for my HP mugshot! No wonder it keeps changing! smile

Problem is, no-one really knows why it changes because there really is no logic behind it.

9. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

So, just out of interest, when you (any hubber) look at another hubber's score and see 96, what do you think? And when you see another hubber's score at 86, what do you think it says about them?

Then tell us what you think other hubbers/readers are thinking when they see your hubber score at 86 or 96? (In other words, are you as judgemental towards others as you think they are towards you?)

Once I start reading a hub, the score of the hubber has nothing to do with how I react to the content. In fact, from the moment I spot a title that interests me I don't pay attention to the hubber's score. My enjoyment of any hub has nothing to do with hubber score.

(Anyone thinking a good New Years Resolution might be to stop stressing about hp scores?)

I think it is possible to prejudge someone who has a low hub score but you are so right, an eye catching title and and interesting subject can quickly win one over.

10. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

"My wish for 2015: Allow author to disable HubberScore on profile"

Ya know... Being able to turn that thing on and off could have its uses... big_smile

11. sallybea profile image96
    sallybeaposted 9 years ago

++++++

12. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

It wouldn't work because

a) The assumption could be that authors with switched off hubber scores are hiding / ashamed of their low scores.

b) As mentioned before, very low scores are a good indicator for giving advice to new comers and flagging spammers.

PS: A new hub's score will not be very high because the new hub needs time to gain views and to mature. Because part of the hubber score equasion is the average of all hub scores, a new hub may bring down overall hubber score.

Keep the scores, they keep us on ball, but don't worry too much when they fluctuate.

I agree with you except for one thing.  When Panda struck my own hub score went down by about ten percent without any reason.  I was doing what I always do - striving to do my best.  I don't think I am the only one who had this same experience.  Hub scores also went down ten percent but these have never recovered.  They remain low.   I would love someone to explain exactly how these scores affect one another.
      The way I see it is that if a hub score is low, I need to do work on it but in effect what really happens is, the more work you do on a hub score. the lower the score drops. as does the profile score.  If I write a hub and publish it my profile score drops.  I think that is very discouraging, especially to new people who are just starting here.  I want to maintain a high standard and want others to succeed.  At the same time, I like you, don't want people to think that they don't have to strive to be their best.

1. Sue Adams profile image96
        Sue Adamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As I tried to explain earlier, your hubber score (which you call "profile score") is partly affected by the average of all your individual hub scores. I.e the sum of all your individual hub scores devided by the number of hubs you have published.
        In theory therefore, deleting the lowest scoring hubs should increase  your hubber score.
        But I would not delete very young hubs as they need time to mature and gain traffic.
        My bottom line is to have no mature hubs scoring below 80.

There lies the problem, whereas before Panda this would have been nearly every hubs I have.  After Panda hub scores did not recover in spite of editing and instead of having most in the high nineties and high eighties I now have ten percent less across the board.  The profile score inexplicably recovered.   Does one want to delete hubs, all of which are still getting traffic just to keep a profile score high?

I do hope you are not serious about deleting hubs that receive traffic. (You already have a 'high' profile score. Is having a 'higher' profile score so important that you would delete work you should be proud of?)

This feels unsettlingly similar to a conversation I had with a girl who was already 'skinny' but wanted to be 'skinnier'. She was severely anorexic.

Come on, Sally, your score is 96 and your hubs are getting traffic. Don't be so hard on yourself. How 'perfect' do you expect yourself to be?

Definitely not. I will keep my low score hubs as they are still getting traffic and some of them are really low.

Good. Hang onto them. Low score and traffic wins hands down compared to top score and no audience. smile

13. bBerean profile image60
    bBereanposted 9 years ago

I used to be at odds with my Hubberscore, but now we are friends.  wink

That is nice - great Photoshop skills - perhaps a tutorial is in order!

1. bBerean profile image60
        bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HP is very clever in that the Hubberscore does not scale proportionate with your avatar.  What looks in proportion for the size of the avatar used in the forum, will be completely wrong for what shows on your profile or elsewhere.  Makes it impossible to have a supplement align consistently.  Crafty bunch, I tell you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)