Any hubber with an Etsy Shop, how is it going

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. younghopes profile image68
    younghopesposted 9 years ago

I have decided to open an etsy shop and would love to get the advice of my fellow hubbers, if they have one.

1. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

you can open etsy shop but if you want to include your link, i would advice you to write the article at blogger.com or wordpress. I am afraid that HP won't feature your hub.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why do you say that?  Is there a rule somewhere I don't know about, that prohibits links to Etsy?

Of course you can't write an article that says, "this is my Etsy shop and it's great", there is nothing to stop you writing an informative Hub about a subject related to your product, and including a link.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years ago

You should read the blog from HubPages about what they consider spam.

http://wp.me/p3PlXg-2rd

I think anyone trying to promote any sort of online store is going to have problems trying to do so from this site.

It's very unusual for me to disagree with you, but I think you're over-estimating how tough they're going to be. 

I use my Hubs to promote my websites, I use Amazon capsules quite generously and yet I have not one "spammy" warning.  It's all about balance - I'm confident the OP could easily get away with featuring a relevant Etsy product in a Hub, or providing a link to her shop.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think it's spelled out very clearly that HP is tightening up on policies.  Many older hubs haven't gone through QAP yet. It's going to take considerable time to get to every account.

It's true older Hubs haven't all gone through QAP, but the recent "spammy" filter was run over the whole site as far as I'm aware.

If it's going to become impossible for Hubbers to include a single link to an Etsy product, then this site has no future! I do think people are getting carried away. For instance, people are saying you can't do product reviews any more, but you can.

3. tlcs profile image62
      tlcsposted 9 years ago

What is an etsy shop?

4. a beautiful mess profile image88
      a beautiful messposted 9 years ago

tlcs - Etsy is an online marketplace for handmade/vintage and other sorts of goods. I've considered opening one, and I'll probably have it up and running within the next month. When did you start yours? I'll have to come to you for advice!

I think you could paste the link on your profile, in your description and as your website. Then, if it relates to your writings, promote your goods. I'd most likely be selling clothing, like hand-dyed and woven t-shirts - so it'd be appropriate to share on my DIY T-shirt Hubs. Even though I'm telling people how to make their own, some people take a look at it and say it's too much work... So I could potentially get some buys from them in the store!

1. tlcs profile image62
        tlcsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the explanation. I haven't got an etsy shop, I just write about things that interest me at the time. I don't think hubpages would support this though, this is a writing site after all, not a selling site, forgive me if I am wrong!

5. SmartAndFun profile image95
      SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

I think you're just wanting advice about etsy and for people to share their experiences, correct? It's not that you're wanting to put links to etsy in your HP articles, you just want to see what the earnings/success rates are like over there. I have never used etsy so I'm not the person you're looking for, but I hope people who do will respond.

6. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

I sold patterns at Etsy a few years back. The sales were slow, but I sold several things. Since these weren't finished items, I am curious to hear what others have to say.

7. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 9 years ago

You might like to check out selling with Zibbet.

8. Emese Fromm profile image89
      Emese Frommposted 9 years ago

I've also had an Etsy store a few years ago where I was selling knitting patterns. It didn't do good at all and I gave up. However, I've heard success stories if you sell actual handmade items. I guess it depends on what you want to sell. But it costs next to nothing so I'd say try it.

9. pumpkincat210 profile image60
      pumpkincat210posted 9 years ago

If you have been on Etsy for years and are well established it is much easier.  I had a shop but I closed it after a year or so because the time to list one item was too long and the time between sales was..too long.  And then having to pay to just list an item and pay to renew if it didn't sell every 3 months (that's not counting if it sells) got to be annoying.

Another point, Etsy was once a handmade small seller's site.  Now there are shops that sell non-handmade goods, by bulk.  It's annoying to compete with a company.  I think it's going away from the creative process and more about profits(can't really blame etsy), but I think that will be their downfall too...

The site is nicely done and it's attractive.  There are some really pretty things there if you have the time to look or if you know what you are looking for.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
        Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know about the shops that are selling non-handmade goods. I think that will ruin it.

1. pumpkincat210 profile image60
          pumpkincat210posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Etsy wanted to retain sellers that got big enough to move elsewhere so they came up with a loosely defined way of allowing sellers to mass produce through another party aka manufacturer..as long as the idea was made by the seller.  Handmade can mean hand made in a sweatshop.  I ordered a bracelet not realizing it would be drop shipped from China and I would have to wait a month before I got it. The quality was dollar store, but their photo and price led me to believe it was a lot nicer. When I went back to their page they had the same bracelet listed. I should have read everything instead of assuming.  I'm sure there are other good options, I just haven't looked.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)