Will You Run or Will You Shoot?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image81
    Jacqueline4390posted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12203179.jpg
    You are on vacation in one of the national parks in Kenya. You are there to observe only and not interact with the wildlife. You observe a couple of cute lion cubs playing in a small bush but their mother doesn’t seem to be anywhere in sight. Suddenly, the mother lion comes charging from your extreme left. You are situated between her and her cubs. Your jeep is approximately ½ mile away. You always keep a rifle handy for emergency situations.

Can you sprint the ½ mile and elude the lioness or will you defend yourself and make the cubs orphans?

1. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Between the eyes is the only choice you could ever tell your friends you made.  If you felt you had time you could try a warning shot, but you better be sure.  No way your outrunning her.

Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you are right but people have been know to possess superhuman traits when survival is at stake. I would rather not shoot but if it came to that ...

1. bBerean profile image60
          bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My choice for superhuman traits at that moment would be a steady hand and a keen eye.  wink

Good point.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Run and you're dead, no question.  Prey runs, so that will just confirm that you're edible.  And you cannot outrun her - lions are too fast.

You might just stop her in her tracks if you stand your ground, wave your arms about, shout, fire warning shots etc.   Prey never stands its ground, so that will make her think you're dangerous.  But if she's attacking you to protect her cubs, that will just confirm her fears and she'll keep coming. 

Sadly, shooting is the only option.   The lesson is that you had no business getting out of the jeep in the first place.   In most wildlife parks, you will stay in your vehicle at all times unless you're accompanied by at least one experienced, armed ranger.

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image81

Considering that lions can run up to 35 miles an hour; I would probably break a world's record!

3. Jacolive profile image60
    Jacoliveposted 9 years ago

I would think shooting is the way to go here. No way youre outrunning a lion over any distance.

I see that the consensus is to shoot ... what will you do with the orphan cubs?

1. MonkeyShine75 profile image60
        MonkeyShine75posted 9 years agoin reply to this

No one can outrun a lion, and if one was after me I'm afraid I wouldn't give orphaned cubs a thought, and I would shoot to kill
        I wouldn't want to kill her, but I'd have to

4. Jacolive profile image60

Ill probably try to get them to a wildlife rehabilitation centre, or ill.let the game rangers know of their location. I am sure they will be just fine. Unlike me... if i did not shoot

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It would stupid me going into  areas that I'm not aware of the dangers. I never carry a gun. I was trapped between a bear cub and her inside in a garbage hut. Never run they all sense fear and will attact for sure. I was roaring as loud as I could and threw garage tops at her. She crushed
      open a wall, then ran and her
      cub ran around me, then ran after her.

But will they not sense fear even if you do not run?

That was quite an adventure you had. You are certainly right regarding going into an area and not be aware of the danger. However, as man invades more and more into the habitat of wild animals; its getting harder and harder to avoid them.

There have been many encounters of people and black bears. Especially when people live close to wooded areas. My daughter has seen several deer and she lives about a mile from me.

Even in humans we can over react and panic, then attact when we are in fear. People fear what they
          do not understand
          and the same for
          animal unless your
          on their menu. Very
          rare any animals like
          the taste of human.

The up side is all animals love.

I do see your point.

5. Jacolive profile image60

Unfortunately we've mostly destroyed their natural habitat. Which is why we need to go to national parks to see them in the first place.

Worldwide swam with crocodiles, sharks, jellyfish,barracudas and killer whales. Contacted komota dragon, handled dozens of
      snakes, watched, 54 bears, petted a 500Ib tiger and a lion, been attacted by a pack
      of dogs and got mugged by
      monkeys. Never had a gun,
      only got a few warning bites.
      None them harmed me or I
      them. It by respect and
      understanding of behavior
      was been the key. My
      daughter and I are fearless
      type people. Where guns
      create 8 times greater danger
      factor with human and with
      animals than not having
      them.

6. Jacqueline4390 profile image81

Correct me if I am wrong ... but those don't look like the type of weapons used for shooting animals ... at least not the four-legged kind.

1. Dressage Husband profile image68
      Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They are not and with either of those you would likely miss until it was close enough to get you in one bound. You would need a rifle and probably about .303 caliber. Such a rifle could hit her at more than half a mile and be accurate in the hands of a marksman, hunter or sniper. It also carries sufficient ammunition to get off at least 5 or 6 rounds if you had to (magazine of 10 or 12 rounds).

wow ...

2. MonkeyShine75 profile image60

One in the picture is a 357, and you don't think it would kill a lion?
        A lot in the power of a gun, is determined by the type of bullets you use

List of guns to match the animal
        http://www.chuckhawks.com/gun_game.htm

1. Dressage Husband profile image68
          Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To hold a 357 pistol steady while standing is extremely hard, and the recoil would likely make anyone miss, unless you had something to brace against. The rifle can be used and steadied against your shoulder that is why snipers always use rifles, and not hand guns.

The time needed to steady brace and fire accurately with such a pistol would allow the lion to get you. The rifle comes with a sling which you wrap around your forearm as you raise it to your shoulder and a marksman could get off 5 or more rounds accurately, one would likely be enough though.

2. MonkeyShine75 profile image60

Those revolvers are very powerful. and easier to get between you and the lion if he is very close. And one is a 357
      People often take revolvers, and rifles, or shotguns.
      A 22 rifle is not the gun you want to take if you are out with lions

I only showed the picture so people could see the parts of the guns, because I spoke of the sights, gee you guys are so literal

Here is the parts of a rifle, and a shotgun
      http://offgridsurvival.com/wp-content/themes/church_10/images/2013/04/partsrifle.jpg
      http://offgridsurvival.com/wp-content/themes/church_10/images/2013/04/shotgunparts.jpg

and the revolvers
      http://offgridsurvival.com/wp-content/themes/church_10/images/2013/04/partsofhandgun.jpg

7. Jacqueline4390 profile image81

Great answers, everyone ... and unfortunately you are right!
    1. Please stay in your jeep
    2. Self-preservation is the first law of nature
    3. Let's be mindful of the other creatures that share our planet and do what we can to keep them here

8. Dressage Husband profile image68
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

The first thing here is that in Game Reserves you really should stay in the Jeep. The surprising thing to me is that everyone said shoot to kill. I am certified as an army marksman so can hit you in the eye at over 100 meters and in the head at a mile with a standard army rifle.

I would stand my ground and fire a warning shot close enough to almost hit her only if she charged the second would be aimed at her leg toward the rump, so that she could not run as fast as me anymore, then I would high tail it to the jeep.

The Rangers could then call a vet and save the animal as well as her cubs. It is a shame that people who do not know what they are doing ever get to carry arms.

People should note that the average human can only sustain speeds in excess of 15 miles an hour for short bursts, so out running her is out of the question.

1. MonkeyShine75 profile image60

My Dad retired from the military, and is really big on responsibility. At home, or in my hometown, we have a shooting range where people can practice. He used to take us there a lot so he could teach us to shoot a gun. As long as your sight is on a target, you are almost assured to hit it. Sometimes exact aiming is impossible, as in an animal attack when time is limited, so make sure the end of the barrel in on your target. The more practice you get the better aim you'll be/have
      http://offgridsurvival.com/wp-content/themes/church_10/images/2013/04/partsofhandgun.jpg

That definitely is a really great point ... stay in the jeep. Don't assume that the cubs have been left alone for a long time. Especially, if they are very young ... momma is in ear shot. Get a great pair of binoculars and observe from a distance. I've seen enough National Geo Wild episodes to actually know better.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Like I said, this scenario isn't realistic because in most game reserves in Africa you are not allowed to drive around on your own, so there would be a ranger with you - and he would never let you leave the jeep alone.   

You can drive your own car in the Kruger National Park - it may be the only one in fact, not sure - but you will be told you must NEVER step outside your vehicle under any circumstances, even if you break down, and given a safety manual.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87

That sounds like a good plan for you, but for the average person who may not be a good marksman, there's a risk that if they fire to wound they will miss altogether - and then it will be too late.

9. Jacolive profile image60

As far as im aware you can actually drive through most parks in your own vehicle. Im from South Africa and have been to a few of them including serengeti in tanzania. Also there are plenty of places that offer walking Safaris, so this scenario could very well present itself. The Addo park, close to where Im from, has areas where you can leave your vehicle. As long as you stay close to it. If you wander off half a mile from your car though, thats your own silliness

I think I;d prefer riding in a tank ... ha-ha!

And miss the adventure?

Oh, I love an adventure, as long as I'm not the main course!

10. profile image0
    PaperImagesposted 9 years ago

I, would only shoot if I had a tranquilizer gun. It may sound crazy, but if I'm out in their domain, I'd better have made my list of do and don't list before I decided to go on this adventure.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)