Risk of articles becoming un-featured?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Whitney Rose Woodposted 9 years ago

I came across a forum online where people were trash talking hubpages. They were saying that they had been faithful, top writers on hubpages for years and that all of a sudden, their content was taken down with no reasonable explanation. They were saying things like "do not trust hubpages". Should there be reason to worry about articles suddenly not being good enough? If so what can I do to prevent this from happening? I enjoy writing on here and would hate to think that there could be no longevity potential.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Whitney -

First, welcome to HubPages!  This is a friendly group, and the site is managed by a great team of people.

Hubs are never unpublished for no reason - the site has standards regarding quality, and also other terms of service (spammy hubs are not permitted), but otherwise, anything that falls within their guidelines can be published.  If you haven't yet read the Help section (see the button at the top righthand side of the screen), you can find a wealth of good information that will answer your concerns.

For tips on quality, read the Hub of the Day (which is always selected based on quality). A good quality hub will be well-written and be visually appealing. It should have good information that is well-researched or based on solid knowledge, and should be long enough to be robust in information (short hubs are discouraged and can be unpublished).

As the writer, you retain ownership of what you publish. Any hubs that are 'taken down' are still the property of the people who wrote them, and if this site isn't a good fit for their style or content, they can still publish the content elsewhere.

Hubs are never removed for 'no good reason.'  While it's true that a hub can be unpublished even after it has been on the site for a while, there are always reasons.  In your 'accounts' page, your hubs titles will appear with various stats, and if it has been unfeatured for some reason (still published, but not indexed in Google), that page will give you the reason.  Low traffic can be one reason, or poor quality.  Usually, some editing and content additions or revisions can correct those problems very quickly.

Unpublished and unfeatured are two different things - unpublished means the hub is still in your files, but it is not published for viewing by anyone.  Unfeatured refers to when Google can't see it.

The site has the right to set standards that will make it a viable and successful place to publish, and in return, they maintain and take care of the platform, keep us advised of Google's whims, offer good training tips and help us get revenue based on the success of our own work.

Hope that helps answer those questions?  I think you'll find this a great place to be - good writers are always welcome, and the community of Hubbers is supportive. I hope you'll give us a try!  Sure, it takes a while to get traction and build visibility with Google, but it can be worth it.

1. profile image0
        Whitney Rose Woodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much. Just based on the support and sound advice I have gotten in this forum has dissolved my doubts. I am definitely excited to be a part of the Hubpages community.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

What you are reading are comments from people who are "sour grapes" and/or who were unwilling to make the many changes that HP required due to changes in the way Google ranks articles.  I have been here more than 3 years and have never had articles taken down, but I do work hard to maintain them and keep up and will take my own articles down if I feel this is needed.  HP is a good place with a good staff and some great writers.  I've learned a lot here and enjoy it very much.

3. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's really pretty simple. Just don't write hubs that give free advertising for products everyone owns. In other words avoid spammy sales hubs that are only to entice people to buy merchandise.

4. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with TT2 about the "sour grapes".  It takes work to keep up with the changes on sites like HP, for little compensation. Some would rather move their perfected content elsewhere, and that's fine.

HubPages doesn't take down hubs for no reason.
      Welcome,  Whitney!

5. CatherineGiordano profile image77
      CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think HP has tightened their "rules" and that has resulted in sub hubs being unfeatured. I've noticed that I have had issues getting with a few of my new hubs.  As soon as a human looked at them everything was fine, but I was getting notices about not being published and not being features and that had never happened before. The hubs were excellent and now have high hub scores, but something triggered a bot to reject them. If you have "played by the rules," ask the team for a review.

2. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I can only speak from my own 3 years of experience so far and say that I have never had that happen.  I've had a couple of hubs go unfeatured for lack of engagement and I spiffed them up a bit and tweaked them and they never were unfeatured again.  I had some that were just crap back from when I first started and I got rid of them.

I think a lot of people did not adapt well to the numerous changes around here and became frustrated with the constant game changes.  This I can understand, but it's the internet and the rules change. 

I personally like HP very much.  Are there some things I don't think are ideal? sure, but you know what, such is life.  A lot of people love to complain rather than be proactive.  I take what doesn't work here and put it on my own blogs/websites.  There's no way HP or any other site for that matter could ever please everyone.

HP has given me a lot in my time here.  I often use hubs for writing samples when seeking new clients for example and the great layouts here have worked amazingly well for that.  HP has also provided a community of mostly awesome people to engage with.  I've learned a lot here and my hubs earn decent residual income so I'm happy.

3. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

My experience here in HP has been the same. I moved here from Squidoo and I find so many writers here who are very passionate about their writing and I do understand why. They not only love to write but are very good writers as well. HP is trying to make its standards higher and this is what we want, too, if we're serious about our writing.

No hub of mine has ever been unfeatured or unpublished. Each time I get a warning, I immediately do something about it. Since I came here, I have published 3 hubs and each time, they were up there in a few hours. Sometimes, I get discouraged because I work hard on my hubs and there's not much compensation for the effort but that's competition. HP is a business and so is Google.

As ChristinS said, be proactive. Whitney Rose, I am happy you brought this up here.

4. profile image0
    Whitney Rose Woodposted 9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I am so glad to hear that hubpages is a safe place for writers. I should have known not to beleive the negative comments. I do understand that quality articles and hard work are key here. I intend to keep writing and constantly improve my hubs.

5. religions7 profile image57
    religions7posted 9 years ago

Do read the articles hubpages has written about the kind of content they want. Try out the hubhopper to see the criteria that are used in judging hubs. Sales hubs can work very well, IF you set them up well and make sure you do more than just list products. Personal hubs are very likely to be unfeatured. However, if you write quality content that is unique and relevant to readers and only features products that are relevant to the topic of your hub - most of them will likely be fine.

1. profile image0

The hub hopper sounds like a good idea.  I will have to check that out. Thanks!

6. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

All of the changes I have seen made by HubPages makes decisions were ones they thought were best for the writers and for the overall site.

The separate forum you are referring to is helping them have camaraderie and commiseration, but it is really hurting them.  When they have a hub that becomes unfeatured or unpublished, they can run to the forum and get told that they are quality writers and how awful HubPages is.  It will make them feel better, but the hub will continue to be unfeatured or unpublished, and they will continue to write new hubs the same way, if they write any more, and the cycle will continue. They may even write hubs of lower quality, because they may not feel it worth the effort to spend a lot of time since the hub may get unfeatured or unpublished anyway.

If, instead, they came to a HubPages forum, they would get advice on how to conform to HubPages' current rules and guidelines. They can improve their hubs and do better on the site.  They can make a different group of friends, ones who know how to work within the rules. They can read hubs by these fellow writers that follow the rules, and learn how to write hubs that won't get in trouble.  And, as they see their hubs becoming immediately published, and start to make money, they will be more motivated to spend the time to write quality hubs.  Personally, I think the hubs that follow the rules are better hubs.

1. profile image0

You are right. Everyone needs to vent. I feel I am getting better feedback from here then they would in that other forum.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

I can understand people who felt, justifiably at the time, that they could make good passive income here or on any content site.  This is a new era for writing content where the income is harder to earn and requires constant effort to adjust to ever-changing requirements driven by the major search engines.  Not everyone is going to want to do that.

8. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

Whitney Rose, I have been here for a year and six months without having such challenge.

Your article may be unfeatured if you do not edit them for a period of 2 years and when you hyperlinked inappropriately or go contrary to Hubpages rule.

Above all, people leave Hubpages when they find it difficult to abide with the rules. It is a great community. I am proud to find myself in the midst of great writers and I know you will make the list.

1. profile image0

Thank you, I will keep in mind to go back and re-edit my hubs eventually.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I also think it would be a good idea for you to take a look at some of the hubs written by those who commented here.   The Hub Hopper is not always the best place to find quality hubs as the QAP is a fairly recent addition and there are older hubs that passed through that really should be removed.

1. profile image0

Thank you, will do. I look forward to seeing everyones writing styles!

1. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
            Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

All the best Whiteney Rose in your journey.

9. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image62
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

Keep on writing. It is a wonderful community. When you are not in a mood to write, keep on editing your existing works to make it appear more attractive and rich-content.

1. profile image0

That is good advice. Thank you! That will come in handy on those dreaded "writers block" days.

10. tlcs profile image61
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

Whitney, take no notice, there are a few people on hubpages that are not happy unless they are whining! If your happy writing for hubpages then don't let anyone sway you with these remarks. I tend to not even respond or get involved with gripes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)