Where else do you write besides Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Organised Kaos profile image88
    Organised Kaosposted 9 years ago

Where else do the amazing author's on Hubpages display their work?

Considering Hubpages is very fragile at the moment, I am researching a split of my hubs to another site as an insurance against hub pages going down.

I've been told I have hubs that now 'shine' - I'd like these to twinkle on another platform and see how it goes.

Any suggestions? What works well for you?

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Anne, looking for another platform is a good idea but I wanted to comment on your "Hubpages is fragile at the moment" statement.
      I have been hearing it since I started here in 2012. The "this website is going under" virus seems to strike here a few times a year, and has been doing so since at least 2011.
      That is almost four years.
      By all means keep looking, but if you are pleased with this platform do not go running based on the comments of a few "chicken littles." (No, the sky is not following.)
      I enjoy your work.

1. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've suspected that the charge that HP is going under was one that's been happening for awhile, most likely coming from people who like drama.

At any rate, I'd like to say to the OP that this site is one of the few that has survived and stayed strong; not much promise in the other writing sites that have cropped up or are barely holding on.

2. sockii profile image70
      sockiiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

First and foremost, I concentrate on my own blogs/websites at this point in time.

I have a personal food blog where I've been (slowly) transferring all of my recipes from Zujava, Squidoo, now HubPages. I also post restaurant reviews and food-specific travelogs there. It certainly out-performs my HP portfolio by 2 digits monthly in Adsense revenue, I get occasional Amazon sales, but I also get a lot of local offers to dining events and "freebies" that show I've established a good local reputation as a food writer. I never got that posting to a content platform.

If it fits, I post at my own content platform/multi-author blog, Spacial Anomaly, which has only continued to do well - and better - through this past year or so Google's changes. Because I screen all contributors from the start, keep the content limited to certain often overlooked niches, and don't overspam the site with ads. I've moved a lot of my genre content (once Squidoo lenses, now underperforming HP hubs) to there with much better traffic and sales results.

For the past 2 months I have been moving a lot of HP and Zujava content over to Wizzley, if it doesn't fit my own sites. I know some people say it doesn't do well with Google but so far my traffic there  is sure better than I was getting here on the same exact pages - and they aren't getting flagged for being "spam" just because I have a few affiliate product links. The Amazon and eBay modules are much more attractive there than here - AND the Amazon modules on Wizzley aren't blocked by Adblocker like they are here, which I've never understood why HP doesn't think is a huge issue except that HP doesn't really want us to be promoting Amazon products in the first place.  They also have modules for Zazzle and AllPosters products which is great if you are an affiliate with either program or want to sign up with them (AllPosters is great for a lot of useful images, unfortunately last year I had to leave the program when they no longer could offer affiliate sales in New Jersey. sad )

I'm trying out Whyrll for some short product reviews. I like the graphic heavy, Pinterest-like layout and the ability to make lists of products as well as single one-shot reviews.

I used to write for Zujava but I don't recommend it any longer, due to absentee management and the fact that the site as a whole lost its Amazon affiliation.

I also used to write for Bubblews but no longer write there because of payment problems and seemingly shifty management. I've been dabbling a bit lately with PersonaPaper as an alternative for short "blog"-type posts that don't fit anywhere else.

I haven't used it yet but I also suggest GoodyGuides as being worth checking out. It's run by some good people, long time Squidoo (and HP) veterans, yet they don't treat product-related content as the red headed stepchildren of the site.

Really the only content I plan on leaving here - or potentially contributing new here - are more strictly informational pages on certain topics, or pages which have so many external links and referral traffic I don't want to lose that by moving the pages right now.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image89
        Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I came across a great Hub on the subject earlier this week that you might find helpful, Organised Kaos: Review: HubPages vs InfoBarrel, Bubblews, Writedge, Daily Two Cents, Persona Paper

1. Paul Maplesden profile image76
          Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

One of the best, most researched and thorough hubs that I have read - Thanks for sharing.

2. colorfulone profile image77
          colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing the link to Ron's hub, Christy.
          Good honest revew!

3. Organised Kaos profile image88
          Organised Kaosposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Certainly is a great Hub, thanks Christy.

4. Thelma Alberts profile image90
          Thelma Albertsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Christy for sharing the review of Ron. Very informative.

3. Paul Maplesden profile image76
      Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years ago

I've tried a few different revenue sharing and other writing sites, here's my experience:

- HubPages - Best visibility and traffic from Google; make a reasonable income here (a few dollars a day on good days)
      - Seekyt - Easy to use platform, but not great traffic; probably haven't made more than five dollars in all my time there
      - Bubblews - Just dreadful
      - My own blogs - Make a few dollars a day on my writing blogs (creative writing / poetry)
      - WebAnswers - Requires constant attention and activity but if you can do that, WA can provide a small income boost; platform is old and dated though and has been easily overtaken by the (much better) Quora. Quora doesn't have monetization though
      - Constant Content - My main money earner outside my own private writing clients; can earn a few hundred dollars a month on good months
      - Private clients - Writing and editing customers developed over several years; main source of income

I've tried (and read about) quite a few different writing sites, but keep coming back to HP for several reasons:

- Of all the sites, HP has the biggest presence on Google; writing on unique, interesting areas can get you traffic here
      - Great resources for new writers
      - Helpful and supportive forum community
      - The management of the business keep trying new things; it may not always work out quite as hoped, but it's good to see that they are trying to stay ahead of Google changes
      - 'standard' design - I don't need to spend time deciding on brand, color schemes etc; I can focus my site on just writing and being engaging
      - Lots of other hubbers and a large site 'ecosystem' means that you can get quite a bit of traffic from other hubbers (related hubs etc.)

Is HP perfect? No - The recent forum threads about editor's choice hubs and other concerns show that they might not always get it right. But in terms of actually having a decent place to write with staff that care about the site, I don't think that for most of us there's a better way to monetize writing down the AdSense route outside HubPages.

Thankyou for your detailed and thought out information. I do appreciate your time and effort and you have saved me an immense amount of research.

NateB11, I got hit pretty hard with Panda, and was initially impressed with how Hubpages pulled themselves out of that.

In the interest of not 'keeping all my eggs in one basket', I am looking to spread a few hubs around. Make sure that Hubpages is not my only option in future. Thanks for you opinion, you have given me some confidence that maybe Subpages may survive a little longer  yet...

I decided to diversify awhile back and published some articles on Infobarrel. Haven't had the kind of success there that I've had here, but I've only published about 15 articles there. So far my impression is that IB gets less traffic. My earnings trickle in there and it's better than say Wizzley in terms of earnings. Though I like Wizzley's admin and they're user-friendly. IB is not very user-friendly, I don't think.

So, I've tried Infobarrel, Wizzley, Daily Two Cents and Bubblews.

Daily Two Cents and Bubblews is very, very slow on earnings and traffic.

So, the only thing that comes close to viable for me is Infobarrel. One advantage to IB is you don't have to use an Adsense account and they just pay you directly.

1. profile image0
            TMacEwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Info Barrel was only good in that regard and I had a few good articles on their that actually made decent money. Don't know why and Info Barrel wouldn't tell me why. So, that was a huge turn off so that's why I left.

Never really heard of Daily Two Cents. I've heard of Bubblews though. But, never used them because didn't really find them that interesting.

Yeah, I get bored with BUbblews. Used to be able to earn some money fairly quickly there, though, in the old days.

I"m not super fond of IB either, but I do kind of like their admin. I'm not fond of the look of the articles and I also said above the other reasons I"m less fond of them. HP has always been my number one preference, for about 3 years now.

1. profile image0

I've been on the HB for 3 years as well except personal and other reasons have kept me off it until now.

I agree I wasn't really fond of IB much either. There admin was alright I didn't really communicate with them. HB is definitely my future of my blogging and journalism.

2. csmiravite-blogs profile image74
        csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I agree with you on that aspect ---that HP is one of the few decent portals that we have left. To be frank about, it I don't know of any portal that matches HP in terms of decency.

Or I might just be bias?  smile

1. profile image0

Info Barrel was so so. But, no where near the level Hubpage's is at. I like the capsule method much better than figuring out how to do everything yourself. So, that's a great plus for Hubpages.

Nah don't think you're bias ;-)

4. profile image0
      TMacEwanposted 9 years ago

Info Barrel, Blogger, and my own personal blog. So, I've been around the block when it comes to blogging.

5. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

What most of my long time online friends have done is build their own websites. Free platforms have helped  them learn a lot and gave them the confidence to go out on their own. They have never regretted it because they are earning incomes they are happy with. 

Having your own website means never having to move your content from one site to another again, not having to have more than one basket, keep all the commissions from sales and Adsence, no hoops to jump through, no rules on how many affiliate links you can have, etc.

I have some friends who love the income they are earning from InfoBarrel, for them traffic is good.

I like that HubPages is doing what they can to improve this site one hub at a time, and letting us know what we can do to help tip the Google graces scale.

(But, if Google keeps going the way it is more blogs', free platforms' and privately owned websites' resources would dry up as Google drinks the rivers dry and pockets the money that experts, researchers and marketers should be earning because they did the hard part and put the information on the web.) 

Added: I know some people who are doing very well in the Amazon Sellers program. Also on Zazzle and with ShareASale.

Thankyou for your detailed answer. A lot to consider here and certainly worth looking into.

6. Froggy213 profile image61
      Froggy213posted 9 years ago

I perform many other acts of writing other than just Hubpages. As a freelancer, I have found business getting much better, with the majority coming from my new website--lancerlife .com. I also have gained a lot through Elance.

I also have over 50 books published.

Being raised in the farm communities in Iowa, I was always taught not to put all my eggs in one basket. Hubpages is a great place, but I have watched my pay dwindle substantially since starting here.

I pray and hope Hubpages gains strength, but I will keep on keeping on in other avenues too.

It must be a rural thing, the 'eggs in one basked'. I too am from the country!

2. colorfulone profile image77

50 books is impressive. I hope that is going well, Froggy.

1. Froggy213 profile image61
          Froggy213posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh they are doing well, especially Puertorriquenos Who Served With Guts, Glory and Honor. It has been selling quite well, and I have an actor doing the audio version and will be finished next month. I don't know if sharing the link is acceptable, but I guess the best way is just throw it.

Thank you colorfulone for your kind words.

1. colorfulone profile image77

"Puertorriquenos Who Served With Guts, Glory, and Honor: Fighting to Defend a Nation Not Completely Their Own", sounds like a book worth writing and giving honor to whom honor is due. 

Greg, I would remove the link esp. since it is a referral link.
            Keep writing!

1. Froggy213 profile image61
              Froggy213posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Done

7. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

I have pretty much reached the end of my writing trip.  In four years I have never found that magic bullet.  What I do know is that it doesn't matter where - blogs, sites, other sites, HubPages - if the content or the audience isn't there you can pretend and social share all you like...

... doesn't amount to an income worth bothering with.

So currently, because I need a pointless dream, I am putting pictures on CafePress and Zazzle.

8. Organised Kaos profile image88
      Organised Kaosposted 9 years ago

Thankyou to everyone for your discussion and awesome information.

I guess I am lucky that I have a subject that does me well - I also wrote my hubs 2 years ago, which seems to be before 'other writers' wrote versions of the same topics - often very similar to mine. Being there first definitely is an advantage.

Being a Marketer, I used every trick I knew to promote my hubs. Studied all of the successful Hubber's here and what seemed to work for them. I developed a formula and always, promote my work by extra links, pings, yahoo etc. every few weeks. Once I worked all that out, Hubpages had always done me well.

After some 'hiccups' here at Hub pages, I feel that an alternative or backup, would be smart. Just which one...

So furiously reading and researching now, thanks again for your help everyone.

9. Chriswillman90 profile image91
      Chriswillman90posted 9 years ago

This is a terrific discussion forum for something that I eventually want to do, which is branch out into my own blog and websites.

HP really is a great tool to use for new writers, and there's a plethora of information from high quality, well respected writers that I could count on.

I may dabble in similar sites to HP soon, I had written for Yahoo Voices prior to their shutdown, and I often worry about a site's stability.

I know as good as HP is that it may also face a similar fate in a few years, but until then I have found a nice platform to develop my writing skills further. Again, thank you all for the advice on here, I'll put it to good use.

10. ShrapnelJones profile image60
      ShrapnelJonesposted 9 years ago

Woah, what do you mean 'Hubpages is very fragile at the moment?' 

I'm new here, what's going on?  Somebody tell me!   smile

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think Hubpages is any more fragile than any other site. I've been here for 5 years and there has always been ups and downs. Every website is like that.

Writing at more than one site is a good idea though. You just don't put all your eggs in one basket, just like anything else. Hubpages has been the safest site to stay at of all the writing sites.

2. ShrapnelJones profile image60
        ShrapnelJonesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Curse my newness, I hadn't seen the full discussion when I posted, just the question and one reply.  DOn't know why I wasn't able to see them all.

3. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google declared war on content farms back in early 2011, and they most definitely see HubPages as a content farm.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)