Change to default sorted column stats page

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (50 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image96
    sallybeaposted 8 years ago

I wonder if anyone else has noticed that hub scores have to be sorted manually in order to see them in numerical order every time you go to the stats page.  Strange, I have never had this happen before.

1. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Sally, they are all over the place.  How odd!  It is confusing.  I guess these glitches are more frequent it seems.  I knew the stats were down for over two days.  Then I saw another forum about the stats and another issue.  Weee

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mine are doing that, too - and it is really annoying. I have to keep re-setting the list.

I also noticed on my profile page that the options for HubPro / Editor's Choice are gone. Is that new or a glitch, or HEAVEN FORBID have they put everyone in the HubPro?  This is very nerve racking, these glitches and irritants.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I saw that when I opened my stats page this morning. The first item I noticed was a 68 at the top! Wierd! I thought that it was my page but I guess that it will straighten out in time. Phew. It is probably due to them trying to straighten out something else on the stats page. Simply click on score twice and it is back to normal.

sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A 68 with the highest traffic, it goes to show how unimportant hub scores really are.  I think you might find you have had the most views from that one!

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
          The Examiner-1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually Sally it was about one fifth of the one with the most views. Go figure.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sally (and all who have commented here),

This was a change we made deliberately to show weekly traffic as the default setting. You can still order all the other fields manually, though. Sorry for the confusion!

Hi Christy
        I think it will prove to be a good change in the long run.
        Thanks for taking the time to put the record straight. At least we know now that the default is set to stay.
        Perhaps changes like this one could be announced prior to implementation in the weekly blog!
        Best wishes
        Sally

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91

I agree- my apologies for not giving Hubbers more notice on this one!

Hi Christy, 
            Is it possible that Hub Scores will now better reflect traffic as a result of this?
            Many thanks,
            Sally

We decreased the influence of traffic deliberately because through extensive research and consulting with Google and others in the industry, Paul Edmondson has come to believe that reader satisfaction is a much better metric to focus on for the survival and growth of HubPages in the future. With that in mind, I don't think it's likely that we will switch back to a traffic-weighted Hub Score any time soon.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
                Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's traffic which makes money for HP and for Hubbers.  If readers are not satisfied with a Hub after being directed to it from search, it begins to fall in search rankings  (according to Google algorithms) and is not sent high traffic. Most Hubbers realize this and I think Paul E. is the first to notice and worry when site traffic falls.  When Hubs receiving high traffic are given low Hub Scores, the best producers of content are disenfranchised from the HP community.  When Hubs receiving no or low traffic are rewarded with high Hub Scores, Hubbers receive a false sense of accomplishment and never learn how to write Hubs which receive good traffic. It's a bad system for evaluating and encouraging productive content.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
                  Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So the hubs that had the most traffic in the last 7 days are listed in order, with the most visited ones at the top? It's a little odd to look at, I liked it better the other way. I could get used to it though.

1. SheilaMilne profile image91
                    SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hit it again and it will reverse

2. Christy Kirwan profile image91

Hit it twice and they will be listed high to low. smile

2. sallybea profile image96

I agree.  I had high hopes when I saw traffic was being recognised as being more important than Hub score.   Hubber score is another thing which causes so much discontent here.  Are these scores really necessary? Would it not be better to make these visible only to Hubbers and not the public.

Christy, If the most "reader visited' is at the top and graduates down, then there is really no need for the red up or the blue down arrows - correct?

Hi Phyllis,

Those arrows have a slightly different purpose-- they're meant to illustrate a change in the traffic of individual Hubs. For example, one of your midrange Hubs might experience an uptick in traffic (which you may want to know about) without becoming the highest-traffic Hub on your account. Conversely, if your highest-traffic Hub takes a dip in views, you probably want to know about it ASAP, even if it is still the highest-traffic Hub on your account.

Thanks for the explanation, Christy. This is something I can live with and may find it very useful and informative - especially when I am updating my hubs to make them mobile friendly.

2. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 8 years ago

Just noticed that - at first I was worried that my scores had gone down, because the highest is usually at the top!

So was I.  I published a hub two days ago and it was top of the page and it got an Editors Choice award today but suddenly dropped down the page with the same score.   It was only on closer inspection that I noticed there were others not showing in numerical order.  At first I thought it had something to do with the fact that it received an Editors Choice Award!
      Anyway I sorted them manually but they won't stay there, the order goes back to the previous view.

2. sallybea profile image96

I think you will find that the ones on the top are getting the most weekly views.

3. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Wow. What a mess. I wonder if this is a result of the stats being under repair? Oh well, hope things get better by tomorrow.

I keep on seeing the words 'known issue'.  There do seem to be a lot of those today.

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
    LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12379531_f1024.jpg

Got to make lemonade when you're given lemons.....

5. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 8 years ago

Hubs now seem to be in order of seven day traffic by default.

@Phyllis Doyle: To opt in and out of HubPro and EC, go to Edit Profile>Account Settings. https://hubpages.com/my/profile/account

No change here.  Mind are still all over the place.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
        Jayne Lancerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Take a look at your traffic for seven days (in the seven day column). Is the highest traffic hub at the top of the list, and the lowest at the bottom? That's the order of my stats.

1. colorfulone profile image79
          colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is the order that mine are in now.

6. sallybea profile image96
    sallybeaposted 8 years ago

In my case, they are not whereas they have always been that way.  Hub scores are not in numerical order anymore, they can be sorted manually but revert back to being jumbled up once you leave the page.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
      Jayne Lancerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

By default, mine were always in order of hub score, with the highest at the top of the list. This is no longer the case. They now seem to be ordered (by default) by seven day traffic, the highest traffic hub being at the top of the list.

Not in my case, they are random, no rhyme or reason for why they have been sorted this way.

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
          LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I see the same as Jayne. Mine are also in order, highest to lowest, under 7 days.

This might actually be a good thing. Instead of being fixated by hub scores, the focus is more on traffic.

Apologies you are correct, I was looking at the daily views.  I am beginning to think that it won't be long before we figure out the mystery of hub scores and average hub scores at this rate.  I am still convinced the average score is being awarded manually and the scores which make up that average fluctuate between the given average.  How do you figure that a brand new hub is given a 90 and the average hub score does not go up?

2. NateB11 profile image89
            NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I hadn't thought about that, but yeah I'd rather we focus on traffic instead of fixating on Hub Score.

I think you are right, it gives one a sense of relief to know that those hubs scores never meant anything really.  We were busting a gut trying to get the scores higher instead of concentrating on getting traffic to them.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image90
            Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree that this is a good thing. In the past, we would have to click twice to see the stats in terms of the highest traffic first.  Those are the ones Paul keeps telling us are the best candidates to improve. 

This will keep people from being fixated by scores, and will let them see their more successful hubs first.  It is psychologically better to see the good news first!

And I won't have to click twice to see what I want to see anymore.

Millionaire Tips
              I think I could grow to like this idea, now that I have got over the surprise of having them altered without anyone saying a word.  It is also a lot easier to think about deleting the ones which are not getting any traffic, not that I am in a hurry to do so.  We are definitely creatures of habit, but I am willing to try something different, heaven knows we were pretty fixated on scores instead of traffic.

2. janshares profile image93
          jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm seeing a similar order, too, Jayne, after analyzing the list last night. Although it's not in perfect order, the hubs that recently received the most views are at the top and descends to the least viewed. It's so irritating to speculate, though. I wish staff would let us know what's happening. Say something, please?

1. janshares profile image93
            jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I see what you mean now with the 7 days; they are in perfect order from top to bottom. Interesting.

2. LadyFiddler profile image76
      LadyFiddlerposted 8 years ago

Hmmm I just checked mines and it's messed up also. I don't know what's going on here lately. Maybe, they need a new IT professional because it's about two weeks now and the problem hasn't been resolved!!

I thought they had one return to the fold recently.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 8 years ago

Mine hub scores are jumbled, too, but I agree that traffic seems to be the indicator HP is focusing on just now. It would be great, though, to get a few heads-up warnings and some team guidance when they change the cues on us.

I agree, think we are being told to focus on traffic now and not hub score.

4. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 8 years ago

If you want the Hubs in order of their Hub Score, click on 'Score' at the top:

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12380766.jpg

Yes you can but it is only temporary, as soon as you move from the page and come back,  it goes back to the new default.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I know, but it's just one click.  I always choose the 1 day view so I can see how traffic is doing from the best to the least.  For me, high traffic and high Hub Scores are not related at all!

I don't think that they are for most of us which is why people find it upsetting to always be thinking of Hub Scores.

2. colorfulone profile image79
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Writer Fox. I like that view better, I suppose I am use to it.
        Its good to see the other views too.

5. paradigm search profile image54
      paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

I, too, like the new default. Now when a warning icon shows up beside a high traffic hub, we will notice it right away.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)