Looking at Hub Traffic Graphs

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12582880.png

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12582881.png

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12582882.png

I was looking at several Hubs this morning that are doing very well and seeing if I could spot patterns.

- They are mostly deep guides like 87 ways to .....
    - The intent is to inform
    - People stay on these pages for several minutes.
    - About 80% of the top 1000 Hubs have been through HubPro.  That appears to help a lot.

1. Robie Benve profile image95
      Robie Benveposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I find interesting to see how google searches create the minority of the views. Pinterest is a major source, and the reddish "others" seem to be really making the difference.

Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The vast majority of traffic is from google to these hubs, but Pinterest can be a good source as well.

2. God shet profile image61
    God shetposted 8 years ago

Hi there, again!

".. starting with Hubs that receive the highest traffic is a logical first step in achieving this goal. In the beta, our editors will only be editing a small percentage of Hubs, but this is just the beginning. We have big plans for editing in the future— stay tuned!"

looking forward to the 'big plans', as well :-)

http://blog.hubpages.com/2014/07/31/int … bpro-beta/

3. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

The overall traffic results are not very encouraging. Apart from a spike, no sign of a Panda reprieve yet. Time will tell I guess, but I was hoping for an early sign. 3 month Quantcast graph below

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12582970.jpg

Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The topline has been flat since May, but there is a ton happening under the covers.  It's kind of incredible the swing in traffic many of the top Hubs see from week to week.  6 of the top 10 saw increases week over week with the average change up about 20%.  Of the 4 that were down, they avg down about 4 - 5%.

We should measure the volatility week over week so people can see how much things are changing.

1. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I am not sure why you are focusing on 10 hubs out of 838,137 published, Surely the big picture is more important.

Do you envisage the overall traffic increasing over the next 6 months due to the overall increase in quality. Also, does HP have plans to hive off Hubpro and better performing hubs into a separate site in the near future?

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
          Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

An new site? What new site?

Hubpro was implemented at great cost, to make HP Panda Free and thereby lift overall traffic. It focuses on high traffic hubs.

What happens if this strategy is shown not to work and the traffic increase, hoped for as an outcome, does not occur? Recent focus has been on high traffic hubs. But traffic remains static.

Hubpro has been going for 12 months now.

4. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

The chart above looks fairly steady, so I'll take that over a strong decline. Perhaps we'll start to see a spike as we move out of summer soon.

5. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years ago

HubPro is a long term quality improvement service.  It's not a quick fix.  Since we have implemented it, our view weighted ratings have steadily increased.  30% of traffic has been edited.  So, my early estimates were around the 60% of total traffic edited we could start to see site wide gains.  We will see how it plays out.  At a minimum we know the average reader coming to HubPages is becoming more satisfied as we HubPro Hub by Hub.

HubPro is just one side of it.  The QAP keeps lower quality content out, traffic thresholds un-feature content every day and we are continually modding the site.  All of these services need to be tuned, but it's clear that overall quality is improving.  The overall corpus of content in Google's index is much smaller than it once was and the content that remains is higher quality.

There are other efforts to be announced soon!

1. God shet profile image61
      God shetposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1!

6. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

A number of comments

1) I'm having difficulty relating the the dates on the x axis of the charts to the dates that those hubs were edited since the data is not supplied and at least one shows an increase which seems to predate the introduction of HubPro.

2) How about some numbers e.g. how many hubs have been edited as a percentage of the total hubs and what's the average percentage increase in traffic. I'd expect a normal distribution curve i.e. some do very well, some don't move a lot and an awful lot improve somewhere between these two extremes

3) I took content off HubPages and put it on a new website I created dedicated to one topic (related to the hubs which HubPages decided it didn't want to publish - but which historically have done well) and then quadrupled traffic in the space of three months compared to old Squidoo traffic and HubPages traffic. The traffic is also still going up as the website becomes better known. 

In other words paying attention to how best to present content almost always results in better traffic and some options are better than others for how to do this.

So if we are saying working on content and licking it into better shape tends to improve traffic - then I'd agree with that. However I'm not sure HubPages has got a proper 'control' for comparative data purposes and assessing the overall effectiveness of HubPro.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)