So Far So Good?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image84
    Jacqueline4390posted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12564455.jpg
    So far I have upgraded Windows 10 on two of my computers—a desktop that had Windows 8.1 and a laptop that had Windows 7. Perhaps its just too early to tell but I have mixed feelings regarding this new operating system. I have three more computers that are eligible for the upgrade and I am wondering whether or not I should cancel my reservations. I may just wait and see how it does with the systems where it is already installed.

Has anyone had any positive results so far with the upgrade?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have decided not to do the upgrade because I had my tech guy update my older program to 7 and it just barely works with my laser printer and scanner.  I'll wait the four years and then buy a new computer plus compatible equipment.

It seems that MS likes to keep us buying things, which I find annoying as well as costly.  A jump from a 7 upgrade to a 10 is a big leap, and I know nothing I have will work with it.  Not looking forward to spending thousands of unnecessary dollars!

1. Jonathan Wylie profile image94
        Jonathan Wylieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If you are up to date with your Windows Update, you may see a small flag in the system tray next to the clock. Clicking on that will "reserve" you a copy of Windows 10, but it also checks to see if your system is compatible and will run well with Windows 10.

The upgrade to Windows 10 is free, and probably 90% of what works on Windows 7 will work on Windows 10 from everything that I have read, but you can always check with the printer manufacturer or other vendors that you have hardware from. They can tell you for sure.

2. Missy Smith profile image80
    Missy Smithposted 8 years ago

I just upgraded my 8.1 to 10. I'm like you, I just think it's a bit too early to make a full conclusion. I too am having mixed feelings about it. However, I seem to be getting used to it more everyday. When I got my laptop with 8.1, It took me longer to feel comfortable with that program. I'm thinking, since I am having an easier time with 10, I may stick with it. They give you a month to make up your mind. Should be sufficient for me to do so. smile

3. Jonathan Wylie profile image94
    Jonathan Wylieposted 8 years ago

I have it on a desktop, a Dell laptop and a Surface Pro 3. So far I like it much more than Windows 8.1. It seems more cohesive and I am gald to say it works with everything I used before the upgrade. I wrote a hub with ten tips for Windows 10 if you are interested smile

http://jonathanwylie.hubpages.com/hub/1 … Windows-10

1. paradigm search profile image54
      paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good hub!

Thanks smile

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image84
      Jacqueline4390posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I was looking at your hub and it is great reference material. I plan to refer to it whenever I hit a "speed bump" with Windows 10. Thanks bunches!

Thanks for checking it out! Feel free to keep in touch if you have questions smile

4. Duane Townsend profile image85
    Duane Townsendposted 8 years ago

So far so good with me too. I like the return of the start button. However, it does use more system resources. But it's fast, I like it. I'm on about my 4th day using it though...

1. clivewilliams profile image71
      clivewilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

windows need some doors

5. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 8 years ago

I like 10 so far hated 8.1.

6. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:
    1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
    2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
    3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
    4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement."
    http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-up … o-opt-out/
    You might want to read some of the many articles floating around, if you don't mind them spying on you I guess it might be good, personally this is not something I am ok with!

It's always good to set things the way you want them in terms of privacy, but this is really no different that what Facebook does, or ANY Google product that you have used...ever! smile  Just read their terms and conditions. Most of the time we just check the box to agree, but almost all of them have something similar.

There are a lot of articles like this floating around, but I think they are making more of this issue than they need to. Microsoft are not just snooping on your data as and when they want to, or just because they can. The agreement says "when we have a good faith belief that it is necessary" and the scenarios they list seem reasonable to me, so I for one am okay with that.

There are other things you can disable, but you lose functionality with their software. For instance, you can tell Cortana not to remember anything about you, but then Cortana is not as useful to you. It is the same scenario with Google Now, except the only way I know you can opt out of Google Now is to just not use it. Siri, in iOS 9, is going in the same direction.

Remember too that Microsoft is giving Windows 10 away for free, so although it would be great to have a secure, private, productive, dependable product we can use for no cost, it just doesn't exist any more. If you are not paying for the product, you are the product! It is the way of the world today if you use technology.

I like this article by Jeff Utecht. Sums it up pretty well from my point of view: http://www.thethinkingstick.com/privacy/

1. peeples profile image93
        peeplesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

And everything you just said is why I stick with minimal internet functions, with outdated software, and as much disabled as possible. Thankfully facebook does not track my personal emails or other personal files in my computer or I'd have to give them up too! My personal freedoms just aren't worth risking but so much for technology.

...and that is absolutely your choice. Everybody has that decision to make and as long as we make it with an informed mind we should have nothing to worry about. There is often a trade off between convenience and privacy and we all have to decide where we fall on that spectrum and who we trust with our data.

You are of course right that Facebook do not track your email or private files, but only because those are not services they currently offer. They track just about everything else, and if you use Instagram or WhatsApp you are part of the Facebook family whether you like it or not. Oh, and by most recent accounts, they still track you after you leave Facebook: http://www.wsj.com/articles/what-you-ca … 1407263246

7. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

I did the upgrade yesterday and so far so good here. It does seem faster than 8.1, and I like the reversion to the standard start menu and old school desktop with a modern look.

8. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

For anyone who is interested, here was my Windows 10 Install adventure.

9. Jacqueline4390 profile image84

Great comments everyone!
    I have a Microsoft Vista that I updated to Windows 7 Pro but I don't know how she will take Windows 10. It's a Sony Vaio so she's in really good shape. She has BD ROM but I haven't been able to play any blueray disk.

I still love my Windows XP but I'm afraid she's a dinosaur! Well ... I guess with me time will tell.

10. Jacqueline4390 profile image84

I really don't think I like the idea of being "spied upon" by my operating system. I have enough paranoia with my TV.

11. Jacqueline4390 profile image84

Well ... I have finally upgraded my desktop, my all-in-one, 3 laptops and a tablet to Windows 10. My Windows XP desktop will remain the same and my, yes Windows 98 dinosaur is resting happily in the closet. I still haven't made up my mind about it 100% yet, though. I don't think I am going back to Windows 8.1 but I do have 30 days to decide.

12. Jacqueline4390 profile image84

It seems that recently I have been bombarded with a lot of updates to my Windows operating system. I'm not really complaining; just noticing this. It also seems to search out updates for other software which I think is a good thing. I still haven't given Windows 10 "two thumbs up" yet but it is definitely a vast improvement (in my opinion) over 8.1!

13. Jonathan Wylie profile image94
    Jonathan Wylieposted 8 years ago

You will likely continue to see updates appear. Microsoft have said that Windows 10 will continue to evolve, and they plan to update it on a regular basis - more regularly than with Windows 7 or 8. There is supposed to be a fairly major update planned for this Fall (November?) and another late Spring, but smaller updates will continue to roll out in between after they have been seeded and tested by the Windows Insiders group.

Thanks for the info. It's great to know that there is always someone in HP who knows what is going on. Appreciate you.

14. Jacqueline4390 profile image84

Just got some major upgrades with Windows 10 and Windows Pro 10. They both were well needed. Microsoft Edge hasn't been a great success with me lately. In fact sometimes my computer acts as if it has a mind of its own.

I haven't used Edge that much and won't until browser extensions are enabled.

Unless Microsoft makes some serious improvements to the stability of Edge, more people may be using Google Chrome!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)