Unprofessional Forum Use

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

I am a serial offender in the unprofessional use of HP forums so you can trust me on this issue.

This is mainly to apologize to staff for my own contribution to the recent announcement of niche sites.

The failure of the switch to categories from sub-domains has taken its toll and that led me to be less enthusiastic than I should have been,

I think if the original post form HP had said something like:

'We are going to trial some new niche sites over the coming weeks. If they are successful we will report back.'

Then I would have said great idea, never give up!

The rather nebulous nature of the information actually given and the uncertainty concerning which pages would move, where and when left me feeling ill-used.

But that is not a real excuse. So apologies...

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your wording of the announcement of new niche sites. But, I do not see any problem regarding switch off to categories from sub-domains. Can you elaborate the allegations regarding this, so that I can also come to know of the problems and failures?

Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think long enough has passed to say that the switch to categories from subs did not help traffic. In fact, there has been a downturn.

Nothing wrong with trying something new but you need a little success to keep your spirits up.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
          Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

May be or may not be. But, I don't blame Hubpages for any downturn to be the result of switching to categories. May be other factors are there. It is a normal case of ups and downs in traffic as far as I see it.

I can see that you are a stoic, that is a fine approach...

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

LOL

That post was meant to 100 per cent sincere, but I could see when I reread it that I hadn't got around to forgiving them for the bio thing.

Who takes bios from an unknown site seriously?

Some guy could be a convicted murderer and honestly tell you that he has 'extensive experience with the justice system'.

As for someone who takes his cat to the vets to be neutered and describes the ordeal and what he learnt from it, what should he say?

This perhaps:

"I have a cat and brain enough to record events".

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
          PaulGoodman67posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking that your "apology" was very English.  You gave with one hand and took away with another!  wink

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 8 years ago

To be honest, I haven't been doing too badly recently (I have eleven accounts and it's a mixed bag, but I'm talking overall) - so I am currently wary of changes.  Change can sometimes result in drops as well as success.

The effects of uncertainty also make me reluctant to do too much editing or creation of new hubs until I can see what the new lay of the land is going to look like.

Moving material to other sites will also give HP the opportunity to "leave behind" some of the hubs they consider inferior.  So I hope my best stuff gets picked, because it may well open up a dumping ground and I'd hate to be stuck in there!

I've always had a general faith in HP's competence, vision, and professionalism and intend to keep that.  But I must confess that I'm a little anxious as to whether and how I will fit in with the new order of things.

It is up to them to explain.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I am devious in my thinking, but it also occurred to me that it would be a good time for HP to move poor quality hubs away and put them out to pasture somewhere where they couldn't do any harm!  Maybe that's why they're being a little quiet/vague? wink

I know HP staff are invested in the site.  But some of us hubbers have given a lot of time and effort too over the years.  Some of the hubs that are bearing fruit now are ones that I wrote 9 months ago or more.  You always have to think long term, there's no quick bucks in this game! 

I know the internet is constantly changing, but I like an idea of what's happening so's I can plan.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Moving material to other sites will also give HP the opportunity to "leave behind" some of the hubs they consider inferior. "...I think this may be one of the underlying reasons for making this change.  It has been an overwhelming task for them to find and dump bad articles, and yet they persist.

As Paul said, the new sites will start "clean", which means they will be able to control what goes into it (assuming they vet every single article before moving anything).

Once the task is completed, I'm guessing the people with garbage will lose ranking and leave.  When the ashes settle, good hubs that did not make it to the new sites will have less competition and may have fewer garbage hubs to harm them.

If this does not happen, then the original HP site likely will fail.

On the other hand, those garbage hubs will be much easier for the team to find and dump. 

I'm hoping for the best, and by the way, I don't think an apology was necessary.  Many of us are nervous about this change and right now are sitting in limbo due to a lack of information about exactly how niche site hubs will be chosen and which categories will be used.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 8 years ago

As a professional unprofessional, it has been my experience the unprofessional gets the most ad revenue generating traffic. My posts alone paid for the Jacuzzi installed at HQ last month.

4. Jesse Drzal profile image92
    Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

I can't wait until my Jacuzzi comes in the mail from writing at Hubpages. GOALS.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Be sure to order that from Amazon.com so you can get the commission.

5. MizBejabbers profile image87
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

Well, anything to clean those butts off our hubs. When is this supposed to happen?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)