How Are Your HubPages Network Site Hubs Doing?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 51 discussions (141 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image88
    Christy Kirwanposted 7 years ago

Many people have asked how the new sites are performing so far. The latest Newsletter provides a general overview, but I'd also like to invite Hubbers who have had Hubs moved to discuss your experiences here. Overall, the change has been very positive, but there's also variation from author to author. We'd love it if you'd take a moment to let us know how your Hubs are doing and give your fellow Hubbers an idea of what to expect. Thanks for being a part of these exciting times at HubPages, and Happy Hubbing!

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm really happy with mine. The ones that were snipped had only small changes. It seems Amazon capsules don't make the cut anymore, so maybe you should tell people to stop using them going forward, if they will be snipped. I had a hub The Twelve Houses of Astrology, and my Amazon capsule had one book, titled "The Twelve Houses of Astrology." So I don't see why that had to go, it would be useful for someone trying to learn the meanings of the houses, and is very relevant. I write these long articles so people can learn about Astrology correctly, and they need the tools to do it.

But the hubs that moved are doing very well money wise, I'm doing better than I was at the height of my earnings, which ironically came after the first algorithm change. Since much of the writing was done several years ago, it's quite nice the hubs are still interesting to people.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't see a reason to tell people not to use Amazon capsules. 

Having Amazon capsules on a Hub will never prevent it being moved to a niche site.  All that happens is, if the editor doesn't like them, they'll snip them - or they'll send you an email asking you to do so.  And sometimes, the Amazon capsule will get through and you'll then have the chance to earn from it.

So the best plan is, choose your Amazon capsules very carefully and then see what happens.  If you don't even try to add an Amazon capsule, then you're guaranteeing you can't earn.  So why not try?

2. Dreamworker profile image85
      Dreamworkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

25 of my hubs have been moved to niche sites, but only one of them is on one site. The rest are all together on the other.

As is normal this time of year, views went up.  However in May they doubled and in June they increased by 30,000.   The great majority of views were from the main niche site.

While a few within the both niches are not doing great, they're still better than they were.  The rest have really surprised me.

I'm sure views will drop after Summer ends, but I'm thinking they'll still be better than before and am hoping the team will take a second pass so that more of my hubs will be moved over.

This was a very smart move on the team's part, and I congratulate you.

3. CWanamaker profile image95
      CWanamakerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I would consider the movement to network sites a great success.  Most of my hubs that have been moved are seeing a significant increase in traffic.  Overall my traffic has increased threefold from this time last year.  This has certainly helped to motivate me to write even more!

4. robhampton profile image93
      robhamptonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The idea to secure and launch niche sites was, in my opinion, a brilliant idea and dramatically successful. In 2012-14 traffic was ok then dropped in 2015. This year it has absolutely exploded. Millions of articles about green pools out there, yet google "green pool" and 2 of my Dengarden articles come up first page, first listing. Last I saw i think I got 147,000 views in one month with just 30 hubs. Good stuff

5. Zakmoonbeam profile image93
      Zakmoonbeamposted 7 years agoin reply to this

With one of my Hubs that got moved, I am getting between 300 ti 500 views per day, well up from the 150 to 200 I used to get, so for me it's working out well!

6. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's been a mixed bag so far. Some Hubs are doing well (that have been moved), some started off doing well and now have lost traffic and some of my Hubs that have not been moved are suddenly gaining in traffic. I speculate that I'm experiencing natural ups and downs of changes like this. Someone said they experienced an initial rise in traffic, a drop in traffic and then a significant increase - for  their Hubs that had been moved to niche sites.

7. Danette Watt profile image82
      Danette Wattposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I've been out of the loop for quite a while and have 3 questions -
      1. how do we get a Hub moved to a niche site?
      2. How do we know if it has been moved to a niche site (either by a moderator or after our request)
      3. what's the criteria for getting a Hub moved?

1. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Danette, you can find the answers to all your questions here:
        http://blog.hubpages.com/

1. Danette Watt profile image82
          Danette Wattposted 7 years agoin reply to this

thanks I saw that and read it previously but I don't feel it answers my questions - my hubs are good quality (some have been featured and editor's choice). But are they randomly chosen? Will I get a notice that they've been moved?

You'll get an email. Many more hubs will be moved to niche sites in future. Just be patient.

8. Evane profile image62
      Evaneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Great so far.

9. mtkomori profile image88
      mtkomoriposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Just received a notice from the hubpages team that one of my hubs was "snipped" by a moderator. I haven`t been active on hubpages recently so haven`t been up to date as to the new features, but what does this mean? Also I haven`t updated this hub in a very long time, yet it said under the title that it was "updated on November 22, 2016".

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's probably when the Hub was snipped.

If you read the email, you'll see a link where you can go and check what was snipped.  If you're happy with the change, you don't need to do anything. 

Unless you feel very strongly about the removal, it's best just to accept what they've done.  They are probably snipping it in preparation for moving it to a niche site, which is great news.

10. Sheeja Joseph profile image61
      Sheeja Josephposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have started hubbing recently.....im slowly getting to know the way to hub and how the statistics vary.and may more.

.ya its one of the the best platform to showcase your passion....

happy hubbing to all...

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 7 years ago

All of my moved hubs have been a resounding success. Waiting for others to be moved.

3. charlesnuamah profile image94
    charlesnuamahposted 7 years ago

I had two of my hubs moved to OWLCATION. One hub has had an increase in organic traffic since it was moved. Previously, it received virtually no organic traffic and the only traffic that it enjoyed was from facebook, so that's good. The other one hasn't really seen any significant increase in traffic, especially in organic traffic. It used to get most of it's views from social sites and still continues to  gather views from these sites.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

Happy as can be with it on this end. There were a few moved which I'd thought less good than some that have not been moved. But what I think will be successful sometimes isn't, and what I think won't sometimes is.

5. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 7 years ago

Thrilled, I am. Traffic has trebled and so has payment. I have a series of tarot hubs, some of which have been moved... can't wait for all their little brothers and sisters to join them smile

1. Sheeja Joseph profile image61

tarot hubs...u mean the original tarot readings?????

2. Sheeja Joseph profile image61

i do chk my tarot online ... i dont know to wat extent its true,,,
      bt love reading those

6. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years ago

All my moved Hubs are doing very well, with increased traffic and increased earnings. I call the niche system a success.

7. SheilaMilne profile image92
    SheilaMilneposted 7 years ago

It depends on what you take as a baseline.

One hub has recovered to the point it reached about a year ago, though it's an improvement on how it was performing immediately before the move, but the other hasn't shown any sign of improvement at all.

8. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 7 years ago

I've only written 4 hubs since last August which haven't had much traffic, so most of the increase in traffic has been due to the transfer of 15 out of 83 hubs to DenGarden. Remaining hubs on HubPages have benefited also from referrals. I think the graph of cumulative daily page views (DenGarden and HubPages) speaks for itself!

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13091308.jpg

1. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Seems pretty slow to me, earnings and views seem to be down generally.  Puzzled as to why one of my hubs with over 43,000 views has never been selected in spite of it also lots of sales too.  It can be frustrating to know that you have been writing on a niche subject for several years and now I have more than half of them on the mother ship and not so many on the new niche sites.   Perhaps things will look up when I publish my latest hub!

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm surprised to hear your Feltmagnet hubs are not doing as well. I have only three FM hubs, but they've fared the best among all of mine that have been moved.  Owlvacation has been a disappointment.

1. Will Apse profile image88
          Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't think Olwnaps has been around long enough to make a judgement, but it could be the least successful site since authority is probably more important in that area than stuff like gardening...

Hope it works, or I am wasting my time currently.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image88
        Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sally,

I think our Curators are predominantly focused on search traffic when it comes to the traffic component of the consideration process; if I'm not mistaken, I believe a lot of your traffic is through Pinterest, which might be why some of your very popular Hubs have not been evaluated yet. Selection should go much more quickly when our 7 new Curators are fully trained, so please bear with us. Your Hubs are generally excellent and I suspect most will be chosen eventually.

9. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

So far I have no complaints about the performances of my stuff that's been moved... I just wish more of my "back catalog" stuff would be considered. C'mon peeps, I can practically fill Spinditty and ReelRundown for you all by myself! Put me in, Coach! wink

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I guess somebody out there is listening... after I posted this, I woke up to e-mails telling me that two of my Hubs had been moved to ReelRundown overnight. Haha!

I'm sure they will deny it was the grovelling, lol. Well done, anyway.

I've published 2 new pages recently. They both got moved to a niche in a couple of days.

I reckon if you want pages on a niche the easiest way is start writing fresh stuff.

10. MarleneB profile image91
    MarleneBposted 7 years ago

I am very happy about the hubs being moved to a place that is single-focused and relevant for the topic. When HubPages sends the announcement that the hub has been moved, it gives me an additional reason to share the news about the hub with my sphere without sounding like I am being annoyingly self promotional. Basically, it comes out as an announcement and people seem to receive the announcement with positive responses.

11. carolynkaye profile image96
    carolynkayeposted 7 years ago

I'm really happy with the traffic and earnings increase of my Hubs that have been moved. One of them gets 3x more traffic now and the rest are doing well. Thanks to the HP staff for all the hard work on these niche sites.

12. beverley byer profile image92
    beverley byerposted 7 years ago

I'm also happy with the uptick I've received since a couple of my hubs have been moved.

13. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 7 years ago

Sorry to be so ignorant, but my Hubpages stats for individual articles only show results up to 6th May 2016. So have I have no way of checking recent traffic on new sites. Where and how do you get stats for individual hubs?

All I know is that my overall HP traffic has tanked since April 2016, and earnings have gone down from 3 digits to just barely making payout each month.

1. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Click on stats at the top of the page from within a hub. This should show a graph of daily views (a sample taken each month) beginning from when the hub was published.

Thank you for trying to help eubug, but I know about the stats on each hub. The trouble is, the graph only goes up to May, we are now in July. So that's not very helpful.

Is there a way to program Google Analytics for individual articles rather than our entire HubPages account?

1. profile image0

The horizontal axes are labeled terribly, both math-wise and graphic design-wise, but on two of mine that I just checked I see July info.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
            lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I only see upto June. But, my hub was moved around then so I do see a big peak. The other has no real increase now that I look at it over the years, it's just the regular season.

1. profile image0

I have two hubs that spiked in July and the ends of their graphs show spikes, so the ends of their graphs is July. The June label is for a spot just before the end of the graph.  Look at the other side, you see the date label is centered at the beginning.  Like I said, it's not intuitive labeling because the date labels take up so much horizontal space and there are no tick marks, but they are showing the whole span.

It would be nice if the graph was like a normal graph - wouldn't it? Maybe mark the year and then just a number 1 - 12 with lines as you go showing the past 1 year over 50% of the graph and the previous time on the left. Good for comparison and better short term stats.

Too much to invest into to get this done, probably. Especially now that there's so much going on.

Hi Sue,

Can you reply with a link to a Hub this is happening on for you? I'll take a look.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
              paradigmsearchposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Kindly respond, please.

Wow! thank you for this.

This is a shot of the same hub on Google Analytic this time,
                http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13093010_f1024.jpg

The picture shows that the hub was transferred to healdove.com on the 22nd of June when Google Analytics stopped tracking it. But like with Pinterest, I thought that the 301 redirects were automatic.

I am puzzled now.

Not sure where to call this. but you have.

Hm, when I look at the stats from your Hub I'm seeing info that is up to date. Can you please email team@hubpages.com with a screenshot if you're still having issues?

Am I dead or not?

I thought she was having issues with her HubPages stats. It seems like maybe I misunderstood. smile

I am having issues with both Christy. Emailing the team now, with both issues.

3. eugbug profile image96
          eugbugposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's odd? The last label on the axis on my hubs is 3rd May. However if I move the cursor and highlight the last data point at the extreme right, it is up to date - 6th July. Maybe your stats are only showing pre-move info?

14. viryabo profile image93
    viryaboposted 7 years ago

Only 7 of mine have been moved to niche sites (4 from this account and 3 from another).

Nonetheless, I'm still doing the happy dance!

15. Max Dalton profile image84
    Max Daltonposted 7 years ago

My hubs that were moved are doing great. Very excited to see if any others get moved to the new sites. No complaints here.

16. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 7 years ago

My traffic has fallen 50% in the last 2 months. Very disappointed.

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13091462.jpg

17. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

I was especially pleased to see a page that I published a couple of years ago get niched and jump from 4 or 5 views a day to peaks of a hundred.

It was my last little stab at using HP, and sadly, it did not go well. The niches obviously have a lot more to offer.

Gonna try some new pages with a mixture of hard to rank for subjects (that I enjoy writing about) and easy (if duller) prey.

See how it goes.

18. ThePracticalMommy profile image88
    ThePracticalMommyposted 7 years ago

Many of my moved hubs have been doing well. My most viewed hub that used to get several hundred views per day has dropped to 35 or less per day, though....

19. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

I am very pleased with the success of the moved hubs. About 1/3 of all my hubs have already been moved and my income has doubled.

I'm also getting Amazon sales almost every day now. So even that is a success, and I realize why... HubPages had snipped some and I see that less is better. It gives readers less choice and therefore less chance to get confused. So they click to Amazon more readily.

But one other thing that may be happening is that Google ranks higher with less Amazon ads. So even though I may have one capsule instead of two or three, I still get more sales due to more traffic. I realize these result differ among other Hubbers and it may be due to using Amazon ads that don't relate 100% to the subject of the title. This is one thing I try to make sure I am doing, I have snipped my own Amazon Capsules that don't make the grade after learning this, and it works.

'HubPages had snipped some and I see that less is better. It gives readers less choice and therefore less chance to get confused.'

I think you are jumping to conclusions about Amazon ads, Glen. One or two sales a day for a brief period is not good data.

If readers regularly use 5 ads from a page then 5 is the number it should have.

Problem is that text links give no idea of what readers really want

The rest of what you say is obviously true, especially titles and reader intentions.

20. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 7 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13091608_f248.jpg

21. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 7 years ago

I am THRILLED with the performance of my hubs that have been moved to niche sites!  My traffic and earnings are triple what they were before. 

Absolutely no complaints here!  I salute Hubpages for their hard work and persistence.  I hope this resurrection isn't short-lived.  I haven't been motivated to write here for a long time, but I am now.

22. lex123 profile image79
    lex123posted 7 years ago

I see better traffic with my moved hubs, which were published a couple of years ago, and hope some of the other hubs too will be moved to the niche sites soon.

23. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

I've had a lot of Hubs moved so far, over 50% of my total. My overall traffic has better than doubled, and tripled on some individual Hubs. On a daily basis my numbers and earnings are at or surpassing the level they were at prior to the Squidoo merger, even though it is July. I couldn't be happier about that. These are indeed bright days here on HP, from my point of view anyway. Well done, HP.

I really appreciate how new Hubs are quickly evaluated and moved over if they are good enough. This makes me feel like its worth it to create new content here on HubPages, something I haven't felt for a long, long time. This is very important to me, and I hope it continues.

I also feel that, even though there has been plenty of snipping and hacking and chopping, for the most part editors have been very fair when making changes to my Hubs. That's not a compliment I give lightly, as I still don't like my Hubs being edited at all.

Overall, I'd say I'm 90% thrilled with the new sites, and see like a 10% room for improvement on a few things. Here is what I'm slightly less happy about:

1. I've said from the start of this that HP needs to be clear about their intention for the main domain. There is still no word on this, and while I feel like even if things froze right where they are right now I'd still be happy with my traffic, I also have some niche Hubs that are just floating along. I'd like to see them moved to a niche site where I know they will do better, but if not what will happen to them? I know this is an even bigger issue for many Hubbers who believe their content doesn't fit neatly into one of the niche sites.

2. I miss having control of my content, being able to look at my own analytics and make my own decisions. Things are going so well its hard to complain, but I do feel like I'm a big boy and can make my own choices about editing my Hubs, what I link to, what ads I use, etc. I don't need an editor to hold my hand. I think HP needs to get better at differentiating between the Hubbers who know what they're doing and the ones who need stricter oversight. Or, maybe they're already doing this and I'm just too sensitive. smile

3. HP mentioned this in the latest blog post, so I hope it happens: I would like to see a way to submit Hubs for review for a niche site. I have been going back and editing old Hubs, trying to get them up to the standards of the new sites. It is especially frustrating when a newly published Hub by another author is moved, and I have a Hub with nearly the same title still sitting on the main site because nobody has looked at it yet apparently. I understand staff can only do so much, and I've been pretty lucky so far, but I am looking forward to a streamlined process.

But,these are minor complaints (and you did ask). Overall things are pretty darned good. I hope going forward HubPages is as exciting as it seems like it could be!

Thanks for this thoughtful response, Eric.

While we are still debating and planning internally for the main HubPages domain, I can say that it is our intention for the vast majority of Hubs to find a home on sites. We intend to move all eligible Hubs, snip Hubs with minor issues to make them eligible, and edit Hubs that require more significant changes to  allow them to find a home on sites as well. When we have a definite plan for everything else, we will let Hubbers know.

As far as your content goes, we definitely don't want to discourage Hubbers from editing and improving Hubs that have been moved. When it comes to links and products, if you feel a link or product has been snipped in error, please email editors@hubpages.com - Editors are more than happy to explain why content has been removed in order to give you a better idea of the guidelines for the Hubs you write in the future, and they are occasionally willing to reconsider a snip if you can explain why that link or product is absolutely necessary to your readers.

And lastly, we are indeed currently building a Hubber submission process for Hubs. Keep an eye on the Newsletter for more info when it's ready. smile

1. EricDockett profile image96
        EricDockettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Christy! Just for clarification: My issue isn't so much about getting an explanation from editors.  It's more about having the freedom to disagree with them and make my own choices.

For example, on a Hub on one of my other accounts an editor recently changed most of my H2 headers to call-out capsules. Why? I can think of no other reason except they personally think it looks better. It's not for SEO, as callouts are H2s also.

I know what the callout capsule is. I would have used it if I wanted it. I prefer the regular headers. When an editor makes a change like this it is kind of insulting. Edits based on opinion shouldn't happen.

Editors have removed many links to my other Hubs that I felt were useful to readers.  I can think of no reason except they didn't personally understand why they were useful. As the creator of the content and the expert on the topic, shouldn't that be up to me?

Again, I think HP needs to better know the difference between Hubbers who know what they are doing and those who need help. While the editors have done an overall fair job with my Hubs and I am grateful for that. they have also done many things that have me shaking my head.

I totally agree with Eric. I never use the call out capsule, I think it is plain ugly. If I want to highlight something, I use one of my own original, homemade text pictures, like, for example:

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13077123.png
          or
          http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12499176.png
          or
          http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13081400.png
          or even
          http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13075540_f1024.jpg

All used in my articles. The last one works well on Pinterest too.

I'm still waiting, but that's ok. According to you, I have nothing but time anyway. How long is this going to take before resolution? Days? Weeks? Months? Retract your statement that started all this.

So what's the problem here exactly? Is this because you were called a spammer or did I miss something.

2. ProjectResolute profile image78
            ProjectResoluteposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Um... The reason why images are a bad idea vs the callout module, is that google can't read an image unless it has an alt tag. Callouts on the other hand, google can read these, and h1 and h2 tags used in the callout  is another benefit because google usually places extra emphasis on these.

However, images with words are still a great idea, especially if you're planning on getting traffic from pinterest!

1. NateB11 profile image88
              NateB11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting, I hadn't thought of that.

24. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

Happy little guy here. 100% increase on one hub if I'm not mistaken and better rankings on another, but traffic is pretty much the same on that one.

25. KeithTax profile image73
    KeithTaxposted 7 years ago

How do you even know if a hub has been moved? All I know is when I stopped writing on HP and started two fictions blogs (over 2.5 million page views per year) and The Wealthy Accountant blog (over 10,000 page views a month and it is only 4 months old) I made 17 times more and it is growing. I know HP wants to resurrect itself, but regular readers of my blogs prefer continuity.

Regardless, would like an answer as to how you know if hubs are moved.

Thanks.

You get notified by email when one of your hubs has been moved.

2. LongTimeMother profile image92
      LongTimeMotherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Keith, even if you don't notice the email they send you, transferred hubs are easily identified on your Statistics page. There's a filter that says '-select a site-' and clicking on that shows you a list of the niche sites featuring your hubs.

26. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 7 years ago

Traffic has gone up substantially overall these past couple months but things are beginning to grind to a halt. The traffic is still good but CPM rates are almost half of what they were in late May to mid June. Maybe that's normal in the summer but it's unfortunate. It stinks to gain traffic yet lose earnings.

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
      LongTimeMotherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Chris, I think you'll find your CPM is directly influenced by which hubs are receiving the most traffic. So if you have lots of traffic to one topic today, and a different topic tomorrow, you could have significantly different CPMs.

I've never noticed the HP team explain the formula before, but perhaps Christy will address it for you here. smile

Hi Chris,

You're pretty much on the money. CPM tends to decrease in summer because advertisers are simply spending less during this time of the year. We expect it will be up again come fall, but this is typically the worst time for CPM in general on HP.

1. Chriswillman90 profile image92
        Chriswillman90posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Christy that's what I figured. I would compare last year's earnings for the summer to now if I earned more than a few bucks last summer making any comparison to last summer-fall negligible.

Thanks again for all your responses and for the Hubpages team for doing everything they can to make the writers happy.

27. Sue Adams profile image95

We were asked to report on how the new sites are doing, but how can I check the results if the stats are not working properly?

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13092713_f1024.jpg

As shown on the image, my HP stats stop on the 22nd of May for a hub that has been transferred to healdove.com

I randomly looked at other hubs stats charts and most of them stop in May, some in June, the only one that has July info is a hub I haven't updated since 2015.

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
      Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sue, The graph may not be up to date, but the Overview tab and the Referrers tab both show data up to the last 24 hours.

I know that Glenn, but neither the Overview tab nor the Referrers tab give me a comparison over time like the chart should do up to date.

Kindly respond, please.

Update.

Kindly assuming you will not do deceit.

Edit. Just in case there was unsure, my response has nothing to do with reply. Just you. big_smile

I am hesitant since you told me to get a life, but "Behavior|Site Content|All pages" is the answer.

28. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 7 years ago

I have hubs on five of the niche sites. To date, no improvement in traffic for any of them.

I've certainly noticed a drop in Amazon income. Some of my niche hubs now seem kind of 'silly' because there's no hint on how or where to buy the actual topic I've written a couple of thousand words about. One in particular still gets a couple of hundred visits every day, but used to attract regular Amazon sales. Now I suspect I must look like an idiot to many of the visitors to that article. ('You'd think the author would at least tell us exactly what/where to buy it, eh?')

I probably now look either 'lazy' or 'stupid' to visitors to a few of my snipped and relocated hubs. I wouldn't mind so much if they had increased traffic and earnings, but they don't. sad

Hi LTM,

If you think you've had products snipped in error, you can always email editors@hubpages.com with a link to the Hub you're concerned about. The Editors won't always be willing to reconsider the snip (though sometimes they are), but they will always be happy to explain exactly why that particular product was removed and provide recommendations if you want to edit the Hub yourself.

You are neither.

29. Gloriousconfusion profile image92
    Gloriousconfusionposted 7 years ago

My statistics do show a very slight increase in traffic, but still very disappointing income, and in HubPro editing, all my Amazon products were removed.  And the actual Hub Scores are also still lowish

30. Tinsky profile image90
    Tinskyposted 7 years ago

I feel it is too early too tell.  For me there has been a small improvement over the last couple of months overall, but this could just be seasonal. I haven't yet regained the same levels that I had in 2014, but when I look at my overall graph the figures are currently just below my highest peak from then.  One of my articles that was moved early on was averaging about 250 views per month when it moved, fell to less than a 100 last month. It did okay when it was first moved with views boosted significantly, but last month was its worst ever.  While I experienced a small drop over the last couple years, i didn't feel it was a significant decrease. I've also just had three articles moved this week so I won't know how these are going for a while.

One thing that worries me is that I like to go over my articles and update them from time to time (make small editorial changes, changes to images, update content with new information etc to keep them fresh). How will this go with those that have been moved?  I'm a bit scared to do anything to them at the moment.

Hi Tinsky,

We definitely want you to feel free to edit and update your articles on Network Sites. The only places that will need exercise caution is with adding links or products. Be sure you are following the new guidelines on doing so and you should be just fine. smile

31. paradigmsearch profile image59

Waiting.

32. paradigmsearch profile image59

You, Sue.

33. paradigmsearch profile image59

Sue? Where are you, Sue? You told me to Get a Life. I'd like to talk with you about that.

I have sent you an email. Please stop trolling. And be patient, I am not at my computer 24 hrs a day but I will respond in private.

You troll. Not me. Your email better be benign. Going to check.

I read your email. You started this war, not me. Please retract your statement and all is well.

34. agilitymach profile image92
    agilitymachposted 7 years ago

Well over half of my Hubs have gone to niche sites - almost all to PetHelpful.  It has been AWESOME for me.  My views have gone up 350 percent.  Because of the added exposure given by PetHelpful, my articles are being discovered more easily and shared on Facebook.  Then they go through a spike period, traffic ebbs until they are rediscovered and shared again.  Even Hubs that previously received few views are getting more views.  I am thrilled with the increase, and it has inspired me to write more.  Money and exposure are good motivators.

I have one Hub on HealDove.  It, too, is starting to get more traffic.  It has also experienced about a 300 percent increase in traffic.  I don't know how the rest of HealDove is doing.

I'd like to suggest a new category for PetHelpful.  As it appears readers are hitting the site and clicking around to read other Hubs, can we add in a "dog story" topic, where stories, columns, poems, etc. about dogs can be located?  Likewise, I would think "cat story" and "horse story" topics would do well too.  I have several columns about dogs that I could suggest to the creative writing site, however people who love animals are reading articles over on PetHelpful.  By offering a creative writing outlet on PetHelpful, it would give these creative writing articles a place to pick up traffic and readers.

Thanks HubPages.  I'm over the moon about the whole thing.

35. VirginiaLynne profile image92
    VirginiaLynneposted 7 years ago

I am pleased with the shift.  I have 300 hubs and have a little less than 1/3 of them moved over to one of the sites (I think that is right).  I had an explosion of traffic last fall and then a sharp downturn starting in early spring.  Most of my high traffic hubs are educational and therefore my traffic tends to be seasonal.  Summer is always my down time.  This year, my traffic is higher than usual during the summer, although I think I'm getting less money per view.  However, one strange thing is that my Amazon selling is way up, even though most of my Amazon capsules have been (rightly) taken away.  I sell most of my Amazon items from about 5 Hubs.  These hubs talk about a problem which was solved partly through my own innovative ideas and partly through a product which I personally purchase on Amazon because it isn't easily available elsewhere.  I share this because I think that it is the combination of a unique DIY idea and a product people can't find elsewhere which makes the Amazon capsule successful and also passes the HubPages staff.

One other thing I should note is that I am personally going through and editing all my hubs extensively.  I'm using some of the ideas I see the HubPages editors doing (like using the callouts for section titles).  I'm also using Grammarly to help me edit my hubs for errors. It catches a lot of things that the HubPages spellcheck does not (the HubPages spellchecker doesn't work for me much of the time anyway).  I think that one think the tech people could do is improve the spell/grammar check on the HubPages text editor.  Could we also have an automatic spell check and capitalization correct on comments?

36. willmcwryter profile image55
    willmcwryterposted 7 years ago

wow i am very fortunate my hubs did not get kicked off the main sight.  i am sorry for people who's hubs were moved to nacho sights because they were not good enough for hubpages.

37. billybuc profile image86
    billybucposted 7 years ago

I've had 38 chosen for relocation. If there's been a difference in views I'm not noticing it...maybe slightly more, but nothing earthshaking.  Oh well....I'm just a writer and not a statistician, so no worries.

1. mio cid profile image60
      mio cidposted 7 years agoin reply to this

what is this about?do I have to do anything with my hubs?

38. bdegiulio profile image96
    bdegiulioposted 7 years ago

No complaints here.  I have about 35 hubs that were moved to the niche sites and my traffic and earnings have gone up considerably.  Don't know if it will last but for the moment it has been a very positive move for me.

39. revolutionbjj profile image90
    revolutionbjjposted 7 years ago

No change in views or earnings across five hubs so far.  I honestly think my "goatfury" user name ones would benefit a lot more from the niche sites, but revolutionbjj is the one that's getting the attention right now.

40. Alison Graham profile image95
    Alison Grahamposted 7 years ago

I've had 20+ hubs moved - pleased with the results and some of my hubs that weren't chosen (for example for the pet site), seem to have done better here on hubpages - maybe that's because some of the competition has been removed and they show higher on topic pages? Anyway, overall, it has been a positive experience with an increase in earnings. I think it's important to pay attention to emails that tell you a hub has been snipped as it may be necessary to edit content if some capsules have been removed.

41. Bamboo Therapy profile image39
    Bamboo Therapyposted 7 years ago

I have just started. Let see.

42. Sue Adams profile image95

Please Christy (& others here) have a look at this related thread by Ron ElFran:

http://hubpages.com/community/forum/137 … ost2824678

It is not only about a proposed separate history site but a few other additional sites to keep the niche effect healthy. Otherwise, we'll be back to square one, with many unrelated topics all lumped together on some of the new sites.

While this is certainly a possibility in the far future, right now all our resources are focused on selecting for the sites we've created so far from the backlog of Hubs on HubPages.

1. EricDockett profile image96
        EricDockettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Christy: Are editors still prioritizing newly published Hubs, or is everything now lumped into one big pile since the sites are up and running?

It seems like its taking longer to have new Hubs looked at, so I'm kind of assuming the protocol has changed in some way.

New Hubs are still prioritized, but it's likely taking longer because our new Curators are still in training.

Hey Christy, the new curators are still in training and they obviously haven't worked on hubs before, but the new hubs were getting done quicker in the recent past. Is it safe to assume, that the volume of new hubs being published has increased? smile Or is it just because the old curators are also investing time in training the new ones. Would be amazing news, if the volume has increased.

Without getting into the details, it's a little bit of both. smile

smile

43. profile image0
    Farawaytreeposted 7 years ago

So far, very pleased. Hope to see more of this in the future!

44. Howard S. profile image89
    Howard S.posted 7 years ago

My niche hubs receive more traffic than they used to, but earnings are down because editors removed Amazon ads. Contrary to stated policy, I have never been notified that my hubs were being considered or edited for these niches. I haven't been able to find a list of the niche sites, so all I know about are those that receive my transferred hubs. The editing that has been done to mine in the process seems novice and irresponsible. Hubs tend to be revised in a manner that is more suitable for print media and away from web best practices. Capsules have been rearranged in ad hoc fashion that detracts from page aesthetics as well as readability. In summary, it feels more like I'm submitting articles to professional journals, where the editors take liberties to maintain a particular look and feel, but without a published stylesheet.

45. Bedbugabscond profile image93
    Bedbugabscondposted 7 years ago

I am pleased with the traffic I get from the new Hubpages nice sites. I ran a comparison chart on Google Analytics.  My traffic is up about 50%. I am not pre panda yet, but very happy with the improvements.

46. paperfacets profile image87
    paperfacetsposted 7 years ago

I have one hub in the magazines. No amazon modules were cut.
    Adsense is up, visits are sky high, and everyday Hub earnings in the ADProgram column is around .60-.80. Much better than .10-.25 of last year.

So the dengarden mag seems a success. I am waiting patiently for the screeners to look at my other garden Hubs. Frankly, they were doing much better on Squidoo, so the plain HubPages formula has something missing and I hope the new sites has the missing elements found.

Also, if HP's cares about the Holidays, Halloween should be optimized now.

47. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 7 years ago

After 4-5 months of rapid gains, everything seems to have plateaued despite seeing my highest earnings last month.

I hope this is just a summer thing and it picks up again, but in the meantime I'll keep creating hubs until the ball starts rolling.

Can't lie and say it's not frustrating though especially when all the stats were up for several months.

1. Bedbugabscond profile image93
      Bedbugabscondposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I know how you feel. Trust me! Despite things being much better for me, I know that my niche is seasonal. I know my numbers will drop no matter what, but I still hope to find a direction to carry through the off season!

You have the right idea, and I need to do the same thing. Create more hubs. I still have quite a few that need to be edited and updated (which seems to help a little). But, Hummingbird is a very hungry algorithm and needs more to eat.

I have to resist the urge to watch the data bounce, and instead just try to create the kind of content that people want to see. If only I were a fly on the wall... everywhere, lol.

1. Chriswillman90 profile image92
        Chriswillman90posted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's best to ignore the numbers really because they do little for your self-esteem. I mean sure you have to check them now and then to see if what you're writing gets any attention, but you shouldn't lean towards them. The niche seasonal topics are the most interesting because you can go from 0 views 90 percent of the year to hundreds once it aligns with the season.

48. Fiona Jean Mckay profile image91
    Fiona Jean Mckayposted 7 years ago

Only one of my hubs has been moved so far and the results look good. I have noticed an upturn in traffic and in Adsense earnings as well, I have also been doing advertising on Facebook for the hub that was moved and a couple of my other hubs and have found that the one on Calorie Bee performs much better. Would love it if my other hubs were moved as well wink

49. lbrummer profile image94
    lbrummerposted 7 years ago

I've only had one hub sent to a niche site, Holidappy, and since it is about craft gift ideas for men, it had a bit of traffic around Father's day but now is stagnate. I feel the hub would get more traffic if it weren't being categorized as a holiday...Father's Day...only hub.  Many of the crafts are suitable for men's gifts in general and useful any time of year.

I notice that few hubbers with craft hubs are saying anything about their niche experiences.  My hubs are doing well on HubPages and I'm wondering if I should be even hoping to get any attention from the team.  I have been spending a lot of time editing my hubs to get them noticed, but so far have been pretty much invisible. 

Are there any craft hubbers out there willing to share their experiences with the craft niches?

1. Bedbugabscond profile image93
      Bedbugabscondposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Im not a crafting hubber, but what you are saying is VERY IMPORTANT. The way that the niche is categorized, and further regarded by the search engines has a major effect on the traffic that you get. It doesn't mean that people won't be shown crafting results from holiday niches off season, but it will greatly effect traffic.

I can see why Hubpages is moving the hubs to the holiday site. My questions would be;

Is there a crafting niche site (or will there be one soon)?
      Can the way that the hub is being categorized on the Holiday site be changed?

I know that the wonderful, wonderful, wonderful people at Hubpages are happy to hear our feed back and experience. That helps them understand the results that WE ALL GET!! We are in this side by side with them, and together we must work for success..

I wonder if you don't need to start a specific forum thread with other crafting hubbers to see if you can help move things forward, I think this is a very important discussion starter.

1. lbrummer profile image94
        lbrummerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer and your ideas, Bedbugabscond.  I will start a new forum thread.

50. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 7 years ago

I have 7 hubs on niche sites, only one is doing well. Doing "well' for me means between 50 and 100 views a day, depending on the day of the week. Two are getting between 15 and 30 a day. The others have been doing poorly for months. I don't expect improvement at this point. I believe it has to do with categorization. I say this because they were doing better before they were moved.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)