What will happen to the creatives here in terms of niches

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (40 posts)
  1. AudreyHowitt profile image78
    AudreyHowittposted 8 years ago

Has anyone heard anything about the future of poetry and fiction in terms of niches? I am a bit concerned that all us poets will get lost in the shuffle somewhere

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

They have always had a soft spot for the creatives. They will probably find a home for you, somewhere.

2. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The image of a homeless, dreaming poet somehow fits!! So romantic.

But I get your point Audrey. This is harsh reality. As HP re-aligns and becomes more nicheified (what a weird looking word!), somehow the poetry will fall into place - into one of the new niches hopefully. If not we'll have to keep writing no matter what and review the situation further down the line.

1. Jodah profile image90
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Maybe all the poets and fiction writers writers from HubPages have to band together and create our own niche Creative Writing website.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
          Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Count me in, Jodah. I unpublished all my creative stories and poems months ago when I had an inkling there was a big change coming at HP. I re-published them on another site, but will gladly move them to a new site when all creative hubbers start their own site.

I think poetry will always be popular and well-loved and creative stories will also be much appreciated. Just look at the history of creative writers and poets - they are timeless.

1. Jodah profile image90

Thanks Phyllis, There are plenty of poetry exclusive sites on the Internet, but not many that I know of that cater for all kinds of creative writing..short fiction, poetry, humour etc... The only ones I have found are Google+So it could be a popular niche. Especially if we can keep the community atmosphere. I would be willing to help manage it but couldn't solely handle that responsibility.

I would gladly help manage our site. Marisa (a few posts ago here) also said she would gladly set it up for us and host it free. This seems more possible than I thought, and I have given a lot of thought to it over this last year.

I think we could make a go of it, Jodah.

PS: So far we have you, Audrey and me. I bet a lot more would join us - The Creative Exiles.

1. Jodah profile image90

I love the name "The Creative Exiles". I am willing to give this ago if we can pull it off. I know  ahorseback (Ed), Bronwyn and a few others feeling the same way and beginning to move their work so they would probably join us. There is strength in numbers. I say let's do it, especially with Marissa's kind offer. Maybe we should start a seperate forum thread asking for interest. What do you all think?

I am with you on this, Jodah. Yes, we need a separate thread to get this going for us. Please open the thread and I will support you.

1. RedElf profile image89
                    RedElfposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Please post link to new thread...

2. RedElf profile image89
                RedElfposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I love the sound of that. I have certainly not been publishing much here recently but joining the Creative Exiles is right up my alley smile

2. BigBlue54 profile image60
          BigBlue54posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Can I ask if you have thought of using Medium. There are writers and poets on there. They are not paying at the moment but they are looking to moneterise the site. There are groups on there and if you fancied setting up your own group that is possible.

I joined recently and I am following one writer who has had 20+ books published.

1. Jodah profile image90

No BigBlue, I haven't heard of Medium. I will have to check it out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

1. Jodah profile image90

I just checked out Medium and it looks to be quite a good writing platform. Subjects are very wide ranging like HubPages, but the intro etc is quite impressive and it is linked closely to Twitter through the same founder. Although it isn't creative writing specific, it may be worth others taking a look at.

1. BigBlue54 profile image60
                BigBlue54posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Glad I could help, Jodah.

3. Genna East profile image82
      Genna Eastposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Great question, Audrey.  I have seriously thought about traveling elsewhere on the Net to publish my creative writing.  But as usual, time is my enemy, and I thought I'd sit put for a bit and wait to see what happens.

4. CrisSp profile image72
      CrisSpposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Pity! sad

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

HubPages has announced only three niche sites so far, so we don't know.

However I would also be pessimistic, frankly.   HubPages is making these changes to stay in business, and they are choosing the niche sites based on the Hubs which make the most money for them. 

As I'm sure you're well aware, creative writing and poetry make the least money of all - and that's true everywhere on the internet.  So if they get a niche site at all, it will be right down at the end of the list, which could be years away! 

If I were HubPages, I'd be doing a cost/benefit analysis for each niche site they create:  "Is the potential profit from this niche site enough to justify the cost of creating it?"   I fear the sums may not add up for a creative writing niche.

3. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

Audrey, this concernes me as well. The question was put to HP staff previously after the niche sites were announced and they said a niche site for poetry and creative writing may be considered but that it wouldn't be in the first 15 launched. So they obviously have an idea of what the first 15 will be and as predicted (and Marisa said) it certainly won't be given any priority. Hopefully the original HubPages is kept alive at least as a home for creative writing.
    They say poetry isn't popular. The funny thing is that advertising myself as a freelance writer and offering to write poetry, prose, text for children's books, ghostwriting etc...almost all my requests have been for poetry (and it's increasing every month). The best thing about HubPages is being able to use your collection of hubs as your portfolio to advertise your work.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's not that poetry is unpopular - it's simply that the nature of poetry/creative writing means it's very difficult to make it search engine friendly, and that means people can't find it on Google, unless it's on a dedicated poetry site.

2. AudreyHowitt profile image78
      AudreyHowittposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am glad that you are getting more and more work John! You deserve it--I have been getting my stuff out there in literary journals--but that is sloooow going as the submission periods are so long--I am wondering whether to keep writing poetry here--or switch it legal or mental health articles--but I don't ejoy that writing nearly as much

1. Jodah profile image90

Thank you Audrey, and good for you being published in the literary journals. Mental Health articles will probably do well and find a a place in a niche site at some stage. I am sure that type of writing is less enjoyable however. It is difficult to know whether to continue writing poetry here, and I have slowed down my hub production since the introduction of the niche sites. I imagine I will continue to write poetry here however as I doubt the main site will close anytime soon. However I thought we could start our own site for creative writing I would just concentrate on article type hubs.

4. profile image0
    Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years ago

The same as usual, Audrey... we will be scr**ed over.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If HubPages was making a lot of money out of your work, and then treating you badly, then I'd agree with you.

However the situation is that HubPages is providing you with server space and website software free of charge, and taking only a percentage of what you earn.  Whatever you're earning from your Hubs, they're earning less.   If you're really not doing well, then you may even be costing them money.

1. ryanpugs profile image62
        ryanpugsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Its only really bandwidth which costs money though, the resources consumed in actually serving the page to visitors, simply having a few megabytes of data on a drive costs near enough nothing. Its the thousands of times that database is queried which costs money.

So by virtue of not getting any traffic, unpopular content won't be expensive. Your hub Flamenco Props and Accessories is apparently 46mb in size. That's actually quite big for a webpage, but I could store 2782 hubs of the same size in the top iPhone 6s model.

Or in other words, I could probably host every page on hubpages on a cheap VPS plan if they aren't going to get any traffic. Its when they start getting millions of hits a month that it would potentially require a ton of server racks and a massive electricity bill.

1. wordscribe43 profile image91
          wordscribe43posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh my gosh!  Hi Ryan!  Pretty sure you are the person I am thinking.  I certainly remember your love for Pugs!  Anyway, great to see you.

2. profile image0
          Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Bazinga!

5. AudreyHowitt profile image78
    AudreyHowittposted 8 years ago

Count me in as well --

1. Jodah profile image90

+1

1. CrisSp profile image72
        CrisSpposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Jodah, please count me in too. smile

1. Jodah profile image90

Thank you Cris +1

6. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

If people want to group together and start a creative writing site, I'd be happy to set it up for you and I can offer you free hosting too.

However be warned, managing a multi-user site can be a lot of work, so whoever takes that on needs to be prepared for it!

1. Jodah profile image90

Thanks for the offer Marissa. It sounds like the idea could become a reality if enough people want it. I agree managing it could be a big job and would require someone with more technical know how than myself however. If anyone or a few are willing to take it on..just put your hand up.

Good! You did see Marisa's post. I got my hands up - see me dancing the Happy Dance?  cool

I am a very good editor and willing to take that on. Of course with fiction and poetry the only editing really would be spelling and grammar. And I am very familiar with the many different styles / formats of poetry.

1. Jodah profile image90

+1000

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Thanks, Marisa. That is very kind, and brave, of you  Looks like there are three of us so far who are interested and I am sure others would be also.

7. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12912103.jpg

Most times in a start up  business , actual growth is all too often  the first agenda while  profitability  becomes  diluted by company size ,  I guarantee you that hub Pages has more employees ,  a bigger platform and  a more expensive set of tax write-offs than ever , but quality ?  Sustainability ?

My advice  To H-P's,  better stick to something from the original or suffer  the usual way of all  , "too big to fail "  companies !

8. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 8 years ago

If you are a creative person, then there are still ways you can make money online. For instance, many of us creative types invest more time making YouTube videos, which can actually do well. If you are into cooking and vegan food, that is a huge and growing niche at the moment. I also am working on my own blogs, and doing well with Zazzle at the moment. You just have to change things up, and not focus on only one thing.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 8 years agoin reply to this

https://openclipart.org/download/215532/1425710397.svg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)