Call to Arms of Fiction Writers and Poets.

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (156 posts)
  1. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

A few of us poets and creative writers have come up with the idea of creating our own website specifically for all forms of creative writing. The catalyst for this is HubPages decision to create niche websites for various subjects. However they have stated that poetry and creative writing will not be one of the priorities or at least in the first 15 new niche sites created.
    I know a number of our group have already begun to remove their creative works and place them on their own websites and elsewhere, but this could be one alternative and there is strength in numbers. Marissa Wright has kindly offered to set up such a site for us and host it for free, however we would need a few willing people to manage the site.
    This post is calling for expressions of interest from other poets and creative writers to join this proposed collective. One suggestion for a name is "The Creative Exiles." Who wants to be a part of this?

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image81
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sure I have oodles of poems I wouldn't mind putting there! I had most here at one time but it will be different at a place where poetry is wanted and appreciated! So yes! Definitely interested! It might even inspire some new stuff!

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
        Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yay, Jackie. smile  Awesome!

2. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good Jackie, good to have you on board.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

I am with you on this, Jodah, and offer my help. This is a great idea, I am all for it. It was very sad for me to take down all my short stories and poems. I can publish them on our own site - right now they are lingering on another site waiting for something better.

With you as our founder and manager, we can make this happen. And with Marisa's kind offer we really should go for it.

After you get a good list of names going, I think it might be a good idea to open a private group on Facebook for the initial members, then make it an invitation only group for newer members. This would prevent just anyone with no experience at all from signing up. Writing for the internet takes a lot of knowledge on quality content and rules. What are your thoughts on this?

1. Jackie Lynnley profile image81

That is worth some thought, no one wants someone like trouble being a part of it, but I would have no ideas except to have rules that mean being tossed out if they are broken, It would be nice to not have people like you all know what I mean that just cannot stand any happiness on this earth! lol Maybe we have to get to heaven before we get that though, you think? lol
        The facebook thing though, great idea and we can talk and meet up for whatever!

2. Jodah profile image91

Thank you Phyllis. Yes, a Facebook group "The Creative Exiles" (invitation only) could be established first to gather participants and discuss ideas. Then progress to a website. I am not very good with the technical side of running a website such as enabling advertising/Adsense etc so we could generate some income, but someone else may be. It is one of the things we need to discuss. Knowing creative writers, that won't be the main priority.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Am I up for editing and maybe even help with training for "writing for the internet", Jodah? I am most willing to help manage. I can also write.  smile

PS: Well, with the core group that I think will sign up already know how to write for the internet. Yes, that is true.

4. Anne Harrison profile image95
      Anne Harrisonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'd be very interested, but I don't have the time to commit to help managing the site at present - maybe further down the line? Have been looking for somewhere for my creative writing, this sounds a great idea

1. Jodah profile image91

Thanks for putting your hand up Anne, good to have you in the group.

2. Jodah profile image91

Ann if you wish to join you are welcome to apply. However at the moment we only have a Facebook group where we are planning the new site. Do you have a Facebook profile? The selection team also needs to be able to see samples of your poetry or fiction writing if you have a link.

5. phdast7 profile image81
      phdast7posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Jodah (Audrey, Marissa, Phyllis Doyle)

I love everything about this, including the name, The Creative Exiles.  I too have looked at Poetry sites before, but they were stiff and formulaic and there seemed to be little if any of the community that we have here.  They also lacked the capacity, most of them, for the inclusion of art and photographs, etc., which I think add so much to our written work.   Personally, I don't care of I make any money, although I realize some people do because they already make some.   I would like to be included and move my poetry (occasional story).

Here is the question though...what about quality non-fiction, which so far no one has mentioned.   Half  to two thirds of my work is essays, historical essays and  film - educational - sociological - political - family history -  sculpture and painting and music essays.   Would those be considered part of Creative Writing or  would any "non-fiction work be excluded?   

I am not trying to pick a fight or squabble.   Any new endeavor has the right to establish its own parameters and limit its content.   But I would need to know how those parameters would impact me and my work.    At any rate I will PM Phyllis Doyle for inclusion in the FB Creative Exiles.   Some of my questions may be answered there.    smile    Thank you all for your foresight, imagination, and enthusiasm.  smile  Theresa / phdast7

Hi Theresa. We are not advocating that those who want to join The Creative Exiles take all their hubs down from HP. The group is for creative fiction and poetry writers to have a place where they feel free to write all the fiction and poetry they like and to know it is appreciated.

My suggestion is to leave your HP account and hubs as is, continue on with your good writing here and go to TCE when you feel like writing poetry or a short story. I am not changing anything on my HP account - just will not have any poetry or fiction here.

For now, The Creative Exiles group is in its infancy and it will take time to build up to the point where we are comfortable creating the web site. You will be welcome to join us.

1. Jodah profile image91

I will be leaving most of my hubs here and probably still write any non fiction, informational content here. I will just do most of my poetry and creative writing on the new site. HubPsges may see a new lease of life in the future. Time will tell.

That is good, Jodah. So many people here love your writing. And as you say, "HubPages may see a new lease of life in the future. Time will tell."  Plus, if we keep our account here we won't miss out on all the big $ we earn. LOL

Another thing is, by staying here we keep that possibility of outside exposure to publishers and others who just might "find us".

2. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Theresa , Your amazing work is so educational as to make it  a necessary  for Hub Pages ,  Only you can  know if that's a good  pay off for you personally .  I am un-publishing my hubs for lack of traffic ,   personally for me , I miss the old days of HP , that's all.!     Once there was a vibrant little community ,  now I wonder why I bother putting out my creative side for a score in the forties ,  and a few loyal friends .  Just me I guess ,     but the majority of YOUR work  should be elevated to a new "Must Read "- genre  in HP , if they really care about top quality writing .   I think for creative writing  , I may just save mine for possible future self publishing or some such thing , Instead of wasting my time publishing on HP.  See you and your amazing poetry there . ...............;-}

1. phdast7 profile image81
          phdast7posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you kindly, Ed.   You are such an enthusiastic encourager.   I have been so busy for over a year that I have hardly visited HP at all.   But for my soul's sake I have got to turn that around, I need to write more and I need to read more.

And you are probably right, poems and stories can be moved and educational, historical, and political stuff can stay where it is with HP.   They really are such divergent categories anyway.   smile   Getting excited.   smile   Theresa

6. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wow, John,

Looks like you have much support for your grand idea!  I will be cheering you on and am excited to see all this unfold. God bless

1. Jodah profile image91

Thank you very much for the well wishes Faith. It was just an idea that seems to have taken off running. I won't be deserting HubPages though.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
          Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Looks like you have a lot of awesome help in this wonderful endeavor here! I do know of many special friends and poets/writers who, sadly, are no longer on HubPages. I miss them terribly. One special poet is doing quite well in publishing books of not only poetry but novels. I think she writes her poertry on All Poetry now. She is now an agent too! Then there are many friends who are still here but have their own sites on Weebly, I believe, where they can freely write to their heart's content and then do have a link on their sites to HubPages to bring more traffic which seems to be successful.

Surprisingly, the poetry I have written here has done quite well with views into the thousands, some almost 5,000. I think that is due to the fact that I write my poetry in non-fiction of my true life experiences and trials and tribulations or that of my family member's trials, which I believe so many relate to and desire to read. I have particpated in two creative writing challenges which were quite enjoyable and my submissions were well-received quite to my delight. I don't write for money.

So many here have such great suggestions, especially the ones about no scores! I don't think there should be any censorship of free ideas or sharing of one's beliefs as that takes away from the freeing aspect of writing from one's heart and creative minds.

I look forward to seeing this all unfold before our eyes!

God bless

1. Jodah profile image91

Thank you for your support Faith. It has been sad to see so many poets and creative writers become disillusioned here in recent years and depart for greener pastures. I am interested to know who the special poet is who is now a published author and agent and now write's on All Poetry (I am a member there also). You are write poetry that is written from personal experience is popular. People need to be able to relate in some way. I agree I don't feel expression of one's beliefs or spirituality should be excluded.

7. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am with you on this Jodah, If HP wants to dismiss Creative Writing/Poetry Why continue to write Creatively.  We can leave the cookbooks to those who want to feed the body.  And we can write to feed the mind and soul.
      I am with you on this.

1. Jodah profile image91

Thank you Shyron, for getting on board. As I say, I am not deserting Hub Pages and time will tell how their new direction pans out.

1. Shyron E Shenko profile image70

I am not deserting HP either, so all entries to your creative writing site will be fresh from me.

8. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Love the idea and am interested in writing for the site. I gave up on writing poetry here years ago, but poetry is still the thing I love to write. I have poems elsewhere and once in awhile I write some, though I've become preoccupied with writing things that make money. However, I love the idea of being able to put my poetry on a site full of creative writers.

1. Jodah profile image91

Thanks for your interest Nate. Do you have a link where your poetry can be viewed? We have set up a Facebook group called "the Creative Exiles" to discuss and plan the new website. The selection committee have to approve new members based on a perusal of their HP and Facebook  profiles and to assess their creative writing and poetry.

1. NateB11 profile image88
          NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have a couple sites where I've put my poetry. Do you want links here or should I send them somewhere?

1. Jodah profile image91

Nate, you can email them to me, or friend me on Facebook and message them to me there.

2. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

You can count me in Jodah. I have plenty of fiction stories sitting in files on my computer waiting for a home. 

Then, there are my poetry hubs.  Do you think it would be best to move them?

Yay, colorfulone! Awesome! I am so excited about this.

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is exciting finding a home for poetry and creative writing, Phyllis smile

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image81

I missed fiction stories; yes I have those too!

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Jackie, I love it when I get to read comments where someone doesn't get that its fiction.  That's a payoff for me. smile

3. Jodah profile image91

Good for you Colorfulone. All poetry and fiction, as well as how to write those will be most welcome.

3. profile image0
    Abhimanyu gaurposted 8 years ago

I am in if you think I am worthy of it. Thanks

1. Jodah profile image91

Abhimanyu, if you are interested in joining you are worthy and welcome.

1. profile image0
        Abhimanyu gaurposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Ok then I have no problem in joining.

Abhimanyu, I can add you to the group if you are on Facebook. I need your Facebook name so I can send you an invitation.

1. profile image0

I have sent you a message on fb check your fb account

I cannot find a message from you. Can you send another pm to my Phyllis Doyle Burns page, please? I checked all three of my FB pages and there is no message. Thank you so much.

1. profile image0

I have sent you a personal message and a friend request on your facebook account. Thanks

I got it, Abhimanyu Gaur, and added you to the group. Thank you. smile

4. RJ Schwartz profile image88
    RJ Schwartzposted 8 years ago

I would be interested in participating

1. Jodah profile image91

That is great RJ. Good to have you along on the ride.

5. Twilight Lawns profile image74
    Twilight Lawnsposted 8 years ago

Great idea, Jodah.
    I don't know  if I would ever pull my finger out, as I have to admit that, as Marlene Dietrich, sings in ‘Die fesche Lola’,
    "It's not 'cause I shouldn't
    It's not 'cause I wouldn't
    And you know that it's not 'cause I couldn't
    It's simply because I'm the Laziest Gal In Town,

1. Jodah profile image91

Thank you Twilight Lawns. Love the quote from Marlene's song. I'm sure you aren't that lazy.

2. Eldon Arsenaux profile image61
      Eldon Arsenauxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Groucho Marx: "I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member".

That's a joke. To bring a little bit of levity, I so think this is a good idea. It is unfortunate that Hubpages doesn't appreciate its creative writing community. Who knows whether they can be convinced (doubtful). The community here is the reason most of us stay, wouldn't you say? A mass exodus might make the stream of new work stronger, but it could break up the community's cohesion.

If you build it, I (they) will come, Jodah/Marissa.

I can imagine an island where laziness is a prime virtue, Twilight Lawns.

-E.G.A.

1. Twilight Lawns profile image74
        Twilight Lawnsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Eldon, most highly respected writer. If that were the case, I would be highly regarded.
        Nay, revered.

2. Jodah profile image91

Thanks Eldon, I am not looking for a mass exodus. That would be too hard to control. Maybe just a steady stream of creative writers as they decide they may like to try an alternative. It would have to be on an approval and invite basis.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
          Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

ha ha on that !  lol 
             Get some web masters and go for it!!!

2. Twilight Lawns profile image74

Jodah, I think that if you could persuade him to join you in your venture, Eldon Arsenaux would be the cherry on the top, the feather in the cap, of all you bring together.
          This guy is probably one of the most gifted and talented writer that I have read for a very long time.

1. Jodah profile image91

I agree with that Twilight Lawns. His fiction is amazing.

We need to have Eldon friend either you or I on FB, Jodah, so we can add him to the group. I am finding out that the trouble I have been having in finding FB profiles is because some are not already friends and hard to find. Maybe I should send Eldon a pm on his HP fan page ... yes, ok.

6. Dana Tate profile image81
    Dana Tateposted 8 years ago

I would participate. This sounds like a good idea. I still have work that I have not published on hubpages just in case I build my own website one day.

1. Jodah profile image91

Thanks Dana.

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

What is happening on google + should be noted.  There, we have the ability to share beautiful photos and art. To be able to easily "illustrate" our creative literary works by way of picture sharing would be incredible! Therefore, creative and talented photographers and artists should be encouraged to join as well!!!

1. Jodah profile image91

Good points Kathryn.

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image81

Yes I have some fantastic photos I would love to share!

8. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

With Jodah's approval I created a Facebook private group for 'The Creative Exiles'. If you do not have a Facebook account, please consider creating one if you are interested in joining us. I do have Jackie Lynnley and colorfulone (Susie Lehto) FB info and sent invitations.

For those who are interested in joining the fiction and poetry group, 'The Creative Exiles', please send me a private email through my profile page to let me know your Facebook name so I can send you an invitation. I need Facebook account names for:

Abhimanyu gaur

RJ (Ralph) Schwartz

Anne Harrison

Twilight Lawns

Eldon Arsenaux

Dana Tate

CrisSp

Thank you all very much.  smile

The group on Facebook was set up for us to have important discussions and decision-making votes for our new web site. We are in the infant stage of creating our own web site and your voice/opinions in going forward are important, so please join us in 'The Creative Exiles' Facebook group. Thanks again.

1. Twilight Lawns profile image74

Phyllis, If you are in pursuit of Twilight Lawns as a FaceBook account "person", I think I can direct you to the Matronof Twilight Lawns, Retirement Home for the Elderly (so long as those persons are of Breeding, Old Money and Upper Class to the Extreme.
      Matron's name is Mrs Hilda Plantagenet-Featheringstonehaugh
      Yours faithfully,
      Ian

Thank you, Twilight - got it!

2. RJ Schwartz profile image88
      RJ Schwartzposted 8 years agoin reply to this

just sent you a FB friend request

Thanks RJ. Got the friend and added you to the group.

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

"I would have no ideas
    except
    to have rules that mean
    being tossed out if they are broken
    it would be nice
    to not have people
    (like, you all know what I mean ...)
    that just cannot stand
    any happiness
    on this earth!
    lol
    Maybe we have to
    get to heaven
    before we get that, though ...
    you think?"

Good poetry, Jackie Lynnley!

Deleted

Thanks Kathryn, my fb page is Shyron E. Shenko

Hi Sharon! Please feel free to contribute here (link) until my volunteer Web administrators and interns are on board.
          PS WTTA, (the actual site,) will always be absolutely free.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities … 4055241879

Kathryn - could you be so kind as to start your own thread with your  own site?  Jodah and several of us are working hard to set up our new site and your posts and link could cause distractions and confusion.  If you are serious about your own site, you may gather more interest with your own forum thread. smile

Thank you.

10. Beata Stasak profile image80
    Beata Stasakposted 8 years ago

Happy to be part of it:)
    A nice bouquet from me for all the aspiring writers here:)...B
    http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12913426.jpg

Nice illustrating, Beata Stasak!

Great, Beata. Please send me an email through my profile page so I can send you an invitation to the group on Facebook. I need your FB name to od this. Thanks.

Oh! Never mind - I got it and sent your invitation. Thanks for coming on board. smile

1. profile image0
        Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Phyllis. Sent you a PM on Facebook earlier re The Creative Exiles.

Hi Bronwyn. I am on FB now and do not have a pm from you. Can you send one now ? to Phyllis Doyle Burns Thanks.

3. Jodah profile image91

Thank you Beata..pretty

11. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

I would be interested in this new sight , count me in !,  Creative  Writing at Hub Pages has reached an end .   The diluting of  the original  sight by  mass growth isn't always a good thing as proved out over and over again by  other sights.

1. Jodah profile image91

That's great Ed. Phyllis has started a Facebook page initially to discuss ideas for the new site. If you have a Facebook account can you email the url or name to Phyllis or myself so we can add you.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Oh, brother.

Hi Ed. Do you have a Facebook account? If so, you can 'request friend' to me (Phyllis Doyle Burns) and that will allow me to find your profile on FB and add you to the group. Let me know. Thanks.

12. RJ Schwartz profile image88

I've been posting poems, some mine, some other works on Twitter using this hash tag

#PoetryAboutLife

13. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Long live WTTA! I have two webmasters and we're going to have easy video and audio sharing as well. Money will be rolling in for all.

1. Jodah profile image91

What is WTTA?

14. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

World Transformation Through Art website. WTTA for short. I also need people willing to form a volunteer Web administration team. Taking applications. Just send them in via snail mail. Interns of all ages welcome, as well!
    I am writing fiction too!

15. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

Phyllis,  I just friended you on FB and left you a PM. I don't see the invite you sent for the group.  No hurry!

Hi colorfulone. We connected and all is well. Thank you.

16. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

LGMPWTT

If you tell me what this means I will take my (free) site(s), World Transformation Through Art, WTTA, (this is the start up site:)
      https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities … 4055241879
      and GO. cool

17. Rodeon profile image57
    Rodeonposted 8 years ago

I think a website should not be moderated to the point of frustrating its users. Anyway, here's a good thing I think perfectly suits this mood of revolution around here. smile

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/manifesto/

18. Rodeon profile image57
    Rodeonposted 8 years ago

I suggest the name InstaVerse. Sounds cool to me. Grab it before someone else resisters it for themselves! Joking apart, I really commend Jodah for this bold and brave move. I write poetry and  I think he remembers the only poem that I had shared here on HubPages, before my account got banned. Anyway, I'm developing my own business ideas these days.

I have 2 points in my mind regarding your plan: First, Facebook is off to launch their own online article portal for everyone. It would be very similar to HubPages, and more colorful. I think it's set to take off in March this year.

Secondly, I think you must think carefully how you're going to fund your website, who's really going to read it, and why; and what type of advertisements would you like to place on a website that is dedicated to poetry, arts, and spirituality? Ex HubPages staff, Simone Collins (Simone H Smith she was before her marriage). She and her husband had launched a website where anyone could hire artists to draw pictures of pets and etc. My point is that she launched that website after she had left HubPages and built her own site on WordPress commercial version platform. The website is still up and running. But I think the project has been, overall, a 'failure'. So now you have some food for thought.

1. Rodeon profile image57
      Rodeonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You must also take note of the fact that there might be people who might get upset once all you guys just pack your bags, and leave. You must be aware of the fact that there are countries who didn't sign up for the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (1886) treaty. So your work is always under constant threat to be copied and republished commercial in one fashion or another in countries like Bangladesh, Nepal, Tahiti and etc. But I guess it won't be a bigger deal because you're already getting no more of protection here. So, good luck from an angel! smile

Summary of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (1886)

2. Jodah profile image91

Thank you Rodeon (what name did you use on your previous account?) it was just an idea, but it seems to have caught on smile You mention that Facebook is going to launch its own online article portal. Well Twitter has one in "Medium" that has been around since 2012 so I guess it is time Facebook did as well. It will probably hard to compete with those though I don't think the primary purpose of a site for creative writers is to make money. Just to have a place to share their writing, be appreciated and have an active supportive community.
      I offer my writing services on fiverr where I made more in the last week than I have on HubPages in two years, so money isn't my focus, but others may have different ideas. I am sure we can monetize it with appropriate ads.
      As for who is going to read it?...poetry and fiction lovers. People keep saying that anyone who wants to read poetry on the Internet goes to dedicated poetry sites. Well, I don't..I go to HubPages, because I know most of the best poets are here. They are some of the ones I want to encourage to join the new site.
      I don't recall anyone mentioning it would include focus on the arts (other than poetry and fiction) or spirituality. I want it to be more of a niche creative writing site, than anything else.
      I also don't envisage a mass exodus from Hubpages. I for one am keeping my account and hubs here and writing new ones from time to time, as I don't expect all my followers to join the new site. I now most of the others who have expressed interest are doing the same.
      Some work will always be copied and stolen. That is just a part of writing on the Internet, like it or not.
      Thanks for the suggestion of "InstaVerse" (I get the Instagram angle) but I think we have decided on "The Creative Exiles". I read Mozilla's manifesto too. Interesting read.

Das Engle, God Shet, Vanders. So, I'm clairvoyant.

Hello. How's Mr. Godwin doing these days? smile

1. Jodah profile image91

Ah, the fine fiction writer Mr Godwin. I think he is well smile

smile  Well, what I originally had in mind was that you need to keep the site up and running, at least for two or more years. And you need enough money to fund some basic requirements: like buying the domain-name ("The Creative Exiles") and paying the yearly rents to websites (companies) like GoDaddy.com for server-services that would put the website online.

If Marisha or anyone else is willing to fund the website as a charity or something, then that's an entirely a different matter. Otherwise, you guys need to think of a practical solution to keep the project up and running.

I think it would be worth considering if you are willing to launch a forum feature (like this one) in The Creative Exiles website. One reason that poetry and poets look and feel 'entertaining' on hubpages might be the fact that this website is not an enclosure and poets interact on this site as individuals who happen to write poetry. They aren't labeled as poets as such. And though a very subtle element, it makes a lot more difference. I had joined poetry websites in the past, and had left them almost immediately because they felt terribly lonely and boring place. You need to have movements going on in your site to make it engaging.

I don't want to discourage you, but I'm just trying to anticipate the issues that you might face after you set it all up. I used to have a profile on hubpages called DasEngel. I wanted the name Engel, but someone had already grabbed it.

1. Jodah profile image91

Rodeon, you bring up some very valid points and we will be discussing those matters in the coming weeks. To apply to join first you have to send a friend request to either myself or Phyllis Doyle on Facebook where we have already set up "The Creative Exiles" group. Then the selection committee will review your application. A link to my Facebook page is on my profile.

I think Phyllis Doyle is not very happy seeing me around here. Just read her comments about me on Mr Godwin's latest hub. Well, we do have a bit history! If she happens to be the chief moderator of "The Creative Exiles", only God help me enter there!

Anyway, I might give it a shot. Thank you for the frank invitation, Jodah. smile

I've plans to publish my poetry collection somewhere in the future years. Meanwhile, I'm interested in the project mostly because I write poetry only when people are reading them. Otherwise I seldom write them. So my main interest is in the impetus factor. Sometimes original poetry accidentally springs up in this process, and they're valuable.

2. Jodah profile image91

You are welcome Rodeon. I have to mention though that part of the selection process involves checking your profile and existing hubs to determine your credentials as a poet, fiction writer etc. At the moment your profile is rather light on with only one hub. You may have to publish a few more in the genres I mention to enable the selection committee to make an informed decision.

Rodeon, I am neither unhappy or happy about you being here. I have no emotional qualms about it. What your reason is for being here is my concern. My comments on his hub was to let him know you are back -  for what? the third or fourth time, being banned at least three times? You were very rude and critical of him and quite unfair. He has a right to know you are back because of your prior public opinion and sarcastic opinions / accusations of him.

There were times, a few, when you were quite polite and calm, even enjoyable. If you could be like that all the time it would be very nice.

As Jodah said, you do bring up some good points about our new site which we will be working hard on to discuss important matters and put in place. I truly admire Jodah for taking on this task. We have a lot of work to do and Jodah is a good leader.

2. Rodeon profile image57

Facebook has already updated their Notes feature, and now Fb notes look stunningly close to hubs. Check out this Facebook note that one of my friends' friend has shared publicly on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/erik-law … 4492973996

3. Rodeon profile image57

By the way, Jodah, what is the procedure to apply to your website as a poet? smile

Hello Rodeon. Mr Godwin is doing well.

Give him my greetings smile

I will do that. smile

smile

Rodeon, Mr. Godwin writes under his name Randy Godwin.

19. RJ Schwartz profile image88

This group is starting to sound awesome - I'll put up some start up funding if necessary to get it online

Are we going to have a criteria for membership?  Some form of vetting perhaps?

Some things for discussion
    One of the biggest issues I have with HP is when they unfeature my poems due to traffic - it's like a creative buzzkill - hopefully we don't follow that route

Has anyone thought about site design?  Will it be by topic, writer,etc.

Great questions, RJ. Yes, we will have a criteria - members who are very good fiction writers and /or poets. Right now we are in an infant stage and need to start discussions. We do have a Selection Committee that reviews and votes on applications of interested hubbers (which is their name and profile link). You are already in the group. Please go to The Creative Exiles group on Facebook and post this message you wrote, so we can all join in on your discussion (our first one!).

Site design will come along as we discuss this in the group. I suggest you open your discussion in the group as soon as possible so we can begin moving on these important points you bring up.

That is very kind of you to offer "some start up funding". At this time, Marissa Wright has offered to set up our site and host it for free - I do not know if there will be any expenses for us to think about, so we do need to bring that up. I think Jodah will be keeping in close touch with her.

We do need people experienced on site design and many other issues involved with a start up site.

PS edit: another important criteria is spelling and grammar, no profanity, and I am sure the group will discuss other subjects that will not be allowed (adult content, alcohol or drug related, etc.) We are going to have to set up an editors group, which I will be part of.

2. Jodah profile image91

Thank you for the offer RJ, and I echo everything that Phyllis said.

20. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 8 years ago

Great idea!  Count me in if short poetry forms like haiku and tanka qualify.

Thanks, Cat. I will send your name and profile link to our Selection Committee.  smile

2. Jodah profile image91

Thanks for your interest Cat. Yes all types of poetry are welcome. Though shorter ones like haiku may have to be grouped together as there may be a minimum post length. Still deciding on the requirements.

21. Kathleen Cochran profile image80
    Kathleen Cochranposted 8 years ago

Would love to move my poetry and fiction to a site where it gets read.  One suggestion:  ditch hub scores, accolades, featured or not, and contests.  Let's be grown ups, and let the readers decide what they read and what they pass.

I would encourage this community to ask questions, correct errors, suggest additions to each other's work.  I don't need just to hear how much a reader loves my work.  I need edits so my work improves.

1. Jodah profile image91

Kathleen, your suggestions are exactly my vision for what the proposed site will be like. Certainly no unfeaturing of poems or strikes due to low traffic or quality. We have already appointed a group of editors who will proofread all items submitted before they are published. Once it passes them it stays unless the author wants to remove it. I can guarantee there will be no scoring system..all will be equal at "The Creative Exiles". We have started a Facebook group to gather members, discuss the proposed site, appoint roles etc. If you are interested in joining send a Facebook friend request to Phyllis Doyle or myself.

1. Jodah profile image91

Kathleen, do you have a Facebook profile? We are organising the new site as well as accepting members there. If you aren't on Facebook you will have to wait until we start the new site.

22. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

I for one can't wait to help as I can with this endeavor , Jodah , is our mentor , an even tempered  , true artist who's going to lead us all there I believe .  Welcome ALL creative writers !

1. Jodah profile image91

Thank you ahorseback. I am truly humbled.

23. Vellur profile image94
    Vellurposted 8 years ago

I would love to contribute to this wonderful website, it will be a pleasure to read and write poetry/fiction.

1. Jodah profile image91

Thanks for your interest Venkat.

24. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

An earlier post mentioned startup funds. As the site starts to sound more substantial, I agree some money will be necessary. You'll need to buy the domain name at least, but you may also need to buy software for more advanced features. How about requiring a $2 donation on joining the site?

Good idea, Marisa - something to think about.

This is off-subject a bit here, but can you recommend how to handle a hijacker of a thread?

1. profile image0
        Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's simple, Phyllis. You do what I just did... report her.

smile  +1

Dear gmwilliams,
                       Can you please post that picture of the dour sour-puss?

2. Jodah profile image91

Yes Marissa, we have discussed the initial members becoming a co-op and investing a small amount each towards setting up and acquiring domain name, special features etc.

25. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

JK! (just kidding) I am going anyway.
    Bye
    … but what do those letters stand for?
    JC
    (just curious)

Thanks. Bye and best wishes.

huh!

26. Masha Winkler profile image60
    Masha Winklerposted 8 years ago

Yes! Definitely yes because unlike some people, I'm not musically or mathematically inclined but in creative writing im rather good.

27. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

I was just adding comic relief! GOSH!

1. Jodah profile image91

Thanks for trying to add some comic relief, but I think it fell a little flat Kathryn. No one got the joke, including me.

28. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

lol  lol

29. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Note to self: Do not try to bring comic relief to an already comical thread!  roll

30. RichardMawby profile image72
    RichardMawbyposted 7 years ago

Hi Jodah,

Long time!

My friend recently joined hub pages and has been writing articles - Annabella Sames.

She told me of what you are doing and if you are interested on having me on board, I would be interested.

I have many words and poems not published on hubpages that could perhaps benefit your website.

Look forward to your reply,

Richard

1. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hello Richard,
      I would love to have you on board. Google "Creative Exiles" or go to this link:http://creativeexiles.com/join-us/ and fill out the application form. Your application will then be considered by the selection committee, but that should just be a formality.

1. RichardMawby profile image72
        RichardMawbyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant, I will do just that.

31. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 7 years ago

Hi John,

I visited your awesome site last night!  I just love how it is presented and the flow of everything.  Such a treat for the eye, and then for the great writing, of course.

I especially like that there is no scoring and that it is just understood that those there are great writers.

I'm amazed at how quickly everything is coming together.  Great job everyone involved.

1. Jodah profile image91

Hi Faith,
      Thank you so much for that great feedback. I am so excited with the way it is all coming together so quickly. we have already assembled a small but talented group of writers and more are applying to join all the time.
      Writers are loving that they are virtually unrestricted (except for a quality requirement) and I have only had good comments so far. We still have a lot to do, but we have some great features that should be added soon.
      I know poetry and creative writing are not your main focus in writing but I know that you can do them well, especially short fiction. You are most welcome to apply to join anytime.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
        Faith Reaperposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I know you are so excited, John.  A new adventure such as this is something to get excited over for sure.

Oh, thank you.  You are so kind. Well, at this time in my life I have a 10-hour workday week with that long commute into the city, so when I arrive home, and other more exciting things going on in life, that my time is consumed that I do well to even publish here on HubPages LOL.

When I do write poetry it is for the most part very dramatic and involves my real life experiences or something that has touched my life or my family's life, like my dad having PTSD and me as a child hearing him suffer with it in the middle of the night.  That still haunts me to this day.  Then when a family member had experienced verbal abuse for decades and now set herself free ...two poems came out of that, and about the homeless around the building in which I work in downtown area of the city.  So, are the types of things I feel compelled to write poetry about for the most part, but I do have a few happier ones, like a limerick and others LOL.

You are so kind for the invite. I'm hoping to retire in about three years, so maybe after all of y'all become famous poets and writers, I can write more ...  I do love to read as it actually helps me to relax after a long day, so I will enjoy reading the wonderful works of all the creative writers on your site.

32. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Just bumping this thread to keep Hubbers aware of the existence of the new site, it's looking great.

1. Jodah profile image91

I second what Marisa said. The new website is a great place to be involved with. If you haven't already..check it out!

Phyllis Doyleposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It is a great community where authors can write from the heart and soul. Mentors are on hand for any help members need and writers are not inhibited with harsh rules. Their writing is set free for the enjoyment and appreciation of all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)