What Google is REALLY looking for - and why we often look so foolish

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (28 posts)
  1. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I hear so much about SEO, backlinking, and on and on ...

Do these tips bring in the money? Yes. Are they necessary? Maybe not ...

First off, we need to understand how Google works. When some person in Kansas Googles something, Google wants the best match to pop up in the top five. That's why they rank pages.

Now, if we want to be in the top five, we need to write an article that will be seen as one of the top articles for content on this subject.

And why does Google want this? Because they profit from advertising and advertisers want their ads on those top pages - and are willing to pay top dollar for this.

Of course, some keywords pay more than others, which is why our focus should be on those keywords people Google the most and the ones advertisers are willing to pay for.

As such, keyword research should be at the top of any hubbers list who wants to make money with hubpages.

Number two is the content. I know ... I know ... I have seen so many SEOs say that content doesn't matter. It's all about backlinks and keyword density. If you want to get to the top of the first page, their right. If you want to stay on the first page, they're dead wrong.

The reason is simple. Google's algorithms are designed to sniff out poor content and will in time devalue pages written poorly. Of course, you could produce more backlinks to counter this, but it's better to write more articles than constantly backlink the poorly written ones. In Google's eyes, content is everything, and great content will always bubble to the top.

To prove my point, I wrote a hub and used NONE (that's right - NONE) of the SEO tricks. Currently, I'm watching it bubble up the ladder and it has already made page 2.

My secret? I picked a topic of high interest, wrote my heart out about it, and now I am seeing the proceeds beginning to dribble in ... and as they say in SEO, a small profit grows bigger over time.

So, for those who want to write gimpy articles in the hopes that content doesn't matter, I say this ... I luvs ya ... as you're a whole lot easier to step over in the Google rankings than those who are pushing out the high-quality material.

And I want to note ... this is not an anti-SEO rant, as there are many SEOs out there who combine quality with SEO methods. I salute them for their efforts, and their filled pockets are a testament to their hard work.

Instead, I point this at those who would chose to think quality doesn't matter, then complain later when the money never comes rolling in.

So, this rant is to tell everyone that there are no silver dollars unless you write well. Just like when you write short stories, you get paid well only when you publish quality stories.

And for the inevitable few that will say they have been publishing articles of 'less than stellar' quality for years and been making good money off of it, take a look again at what you wrote ... You'll find that you write far better than the average hack and research your articles very quickly. As such, telling others content doesn't matter is a ruse, as your articles are loaded with good content, and you've conditioned yourselves to believe it doesn't matter.

Think I'm wrong? I challenge any hubber to make a profit from a severely poorly written article - you pick the subject. Then, use any SEO method you want - (white hat or black hat) and see where it goes.

Content really does matter. You already know this, or you wouldn't be profiting from what you have already written. You say it doesn't matter because you look down upon your own writing abilities (as many writers do); because you want to believe it doesn't matter, so anyone can do it; or because you want to make everyone believe they can do it, so they see you as a guru.

So, the Reader's Digest version:

Look up good keywords, publish great content that's relative, and wait several weeks for your traffic to pick up. smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Liked what you had to say here,logical and to the point.
      Helped me refocus the writing side again , now if only I could get my head around Adsense lol

2. candice5 profile image58
      candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't bother with any type of affiliate stuff whatsoever, but applaude those that have the time to do SEO and backlinks and all those other tricky keyword things that make the money.
      I just haven't the time, however I have noticed that many things that become first page items, are not particularly likely to have been well researched, for keywords etc. I mean when you look into Hobbies and Stuff, So my opinion for what it is worth alot is down purely to Luck.

3. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But you did use a SEO 'trick'. You looked up good keywords.

However at the end of the day, yes, good original articles win the day. And an SEO expert worth his salt is going to agree with that too.

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Yoshi, I totally agree.  I have "zilch" for backlinks, but my poetic-humor website plus a few of my better performing Hubs have long topped the Yahoo and Google charts and are now showing up in the same top-ranking spots on Bing.

Thanks for saying what I've long been thinking.

3. Jenny30 profile image60
    Jenny30posted 14 years ago

great info. very valuable information! Thanks!

4. Pamda Man profile image58
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

Why don't you put this in a hub? It's great.

5. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

What will make everyone listen - and listen well - to what you say Yoshi is the fact that you say it well - and you say it without any kind of a superior smirk. That's some great advice there - thank you!

6. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Not going to argue with you yoshi97:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-I-got-my-hu … first-page

But, and this is a big but, there are topics that no matter how popular they are, will not monetize well.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hals-40-Best-Go … e-Earnings

And some topics are just simply too competitive to rank for.

So, I half agree with you but have found a combination works best. Which brings me to my present dilemma. I only have so much time. Should I spend it doing keyword research, researching and writing great content or promoting my work afterwards?

The jury is still out and I am still experimenting with the best balance.

7. jessicab profile image61
    jessicabposted 14 years ago

Who really knows what Google is  looking for, I thought someone said ezine articles.

8. jayb23 profile image71
    jayb23posted 14 years ago

Great stuff yoshi. At the end of the day content is indeed king. Thanks for sharing

9. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

It's always good to practice seo , no arguments here. I'm sooooo glad we can always adjust wink lol lol

10. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the pointers.  Would you be able to direct us to the particular hub you generated to prove your point?  I would be interested in seeing it first hand as an example.

yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

We're not allowed to place links in the forums, but you can google 'review for the LG enV Touch' without the quotes. If you google it *with* the quotes I'm number one on the page, but that's an unfair assessment, as googlers don't tend to do this. It's currently on the top of page 3 (I just checked) but it seems to be dancing between the bottom of page 2 and the top of page 3. Given time, it will rise higher.

Also, it's a review on the LG enV Touch, so it's easy to find in my profile if you want to look at it there.

The hub is existed for only about a month and I can't wait to see how it does three months from now.

I also just wrote a Windows 7 hub last night (using the same techniques) and I'm interested in seeing how it does.

One thing I forgot to mention ... and perhaps I should have ... I do place some of my articles in Digg, but I don't see much response from there. Why do I do this? Only because it helps me get indexed by Google quicker.

This is an excellent tip for users looking to get indexed quicker, but use it with caution, for if you spam Digg or categorize your article in the wrong place you might get it buried, which tends to have the opposite effect of what you are looking for. smile

And Mark is absolutely correct ... Some big money makers won't make you squat and you won't rise to the top of all lists.

This is the reason you need to write a lot of hubs over time to insure income. Some will be money makers and some will be duds. However, you'll know a money maker when you find one, and writing great content around keywords that pay well and have lots of hits set you on the proper path. smile

11. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 14 years ago

This is one of the best posts I've ever read on these forums - well written, informative and TRUE!

12. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 14 years ago

Yes, those changing algorithms will make you a believer. A hot trendy topic will be there, then fade unless you SEO'd it to the hilt.

13. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

A couple thoughts:

You can certainly post a link to your hub if someone requests it of you!
    People just dont want to see forum posts only intended to promote your hub.

Google has a page 2 or 3! Wow, Ive never bothered going that far in.

If you were attempting to rank for "review for LG enV Touch" and you want to mention keyword research, then you should really develop your keyword density.

That term appears what 0 times! outside your title!

Well written, perhaps, but not an educational example of how to rank for a chosen keyword

14. yoshi97 profile image56

Actually, Google penalizes people for keyword stuffing nowadays - heavily. However, if one is careful they can rise a bit more by repeating their keyword, so long as they don't overstuff their hub. Google wants a density as low as 1% but will often accept up to 3%.

Also, Google uses page bounce as a decider on who pushes upwards. If you have a lot of people bouncing out of your page right away, it will rank lower - and on the converse - it will rise if people stay on your page longer.

Again, the key to understanding Google ranking is understanding their mission ... to put the pages on top most likely to fulfill what one wants to seek. As such, SEOs try to fiddle with the methodology to bump themselves on top and Google keeps finding ways to push them back down.

All-in-all, Google wants the readers to decide who is on top, though this is often a tricky bag all and in itself.

Also, I don't write pages with a certain keyword i nmind. I hit on several keywords in my hubs, keeping a mixture so I can get hits on different phrases. Most of my hits (finally) are outside hits, so the hubs are definitely visual in searches ... but I also understand that the top of page one gives a person the best chance at being clicked upon.

Still, this page was down many pages when I first ranked it - let's see if it grows legs and makes it to page one in the next month without any tampering. It will never make top, as the competition is really tough up there (high PRs) but I can see where it might squeeze in towards the bottom of page 1. smile

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is a difference between "stuffing" and "optimizing".

If we used a shortened example of "lg enV touch" as a term to chase, you would find that NONE of the first page results use that term less than 30 times, these are reputable souces such as cnet that would rank regardless.

1%-3% is laughable and downright wrong. Many of us write freelance specifically for search engines and know from experience the truth of the matter.

of course the hub url of /my-psychic friends isnt helping matters. Actually with the rep of hubpages, built in inlinks (hot,best,tag,category) etc and a decent title URL its almost difficult to NOT find oneself on the first page of google for a moderately competitive keyword directly after indexing.

granted LG enV touch would be a very hard term to conquer, BUT..once agin this post is NOT an educational example of how to do such a thing

15. mrbrent profile image58
    mrbrentposted 14 years ago

Great work, Most marketers though need to really understand the difference between onsite SEO, and offsite SEO. I still believe the best onsite SEO is KEEP IT SIMPLE.

16. White Teeth profile image61
    White Teethposted 14 years ago

Go to google, and search for: asbestos removal. #9 (asbestosremoval.net) is a "coming soon" page. The indexed description is "coming soon". WTF!?? I tried a couple of different backlink checkers, and it has just one backlink.

"Coming Soon" with one backlink...is that what Google wants for #9 on a search term that has 90,000 searches a month?

Someone explain this...please!?

yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. It's poised above a PR4 page and has a keyword density of ... .001%

So, does keyword density count? Maybe if you want to be on top of the heap, but evidently not to get on page one, nor does content seem to count.

No wonder we all go crazy figuring it all out!

Sunforged ... Understand that my very first statement was as follows ...

"I hear so much about SEO, backlinking, and on and on ...

Do these tips bring in the money? Yes. Are they necessary? Maybe not ..."

Analyzing what I said ... I DO say that SEO techniques bring in money. I can't argue with the fact that many SEOs are profiting. To do so would be to turn a blind eye.

What I am relating is that a person can still make a profit without doing anything more than writing well-researched articles.

I also related what Google is looking for at the top of the page ... articles that answer reader's searches ... and that's definitely the Google mission as that's what keeps people going to Google more than other searches.

What I do have a problem with is spammers that just throw keywords all over pages and have no real content ... and no ... I don't currently see that happening here ... especially from the SEOs, as they already know such black hat techniques will bubble you to the top and then bury you permanently to the bottom when Google deindexes the page permanently.

So, while you might have perceived what I wrote as an attack on those using SEO techniques, I was in fact relating that a person without such expertise and knowledge could make extra money by writing well-researched and presented articles.

As for Mark's question ... Should he spend more time writing, researching keywords, or optimizing pages ... it all depends on the level of income you are looking for.

Those who just write well will find themselves with a moderate extra income, but not enough to make a living. For most here, that's the goal, as they aren't looking to quit their day jobs and become fulltime authors.

Those who research keywords will hit the target more and have a fair shake at bringing home a couple hundred a week.

Those who optimize their pages stand the chance to work at home, but optimization pays best when the author is writing good quality pages, researching keywords hard, and watching their keyword density so they aren't seen as a spammer.

For most, the optimization route is too much work for the free time they have available, and it's a great risk for one to quit their job to become a full timer, when there is no real promise it will happen for everyone.

Also, the keyword density quote comes from an article I read that spoke of upcoming changes in Google standards. To tell people they could go with a higher density when I know of the upcoming change would be irresponsible. And no, 3% is not a firm number yet ... it's what they are throwing around and I think it's a bit low. I hope they go with 5%.

Please understand that I have two months here on Hubpages, but plenty of time elsewhere. Having watched the different ages go by and sites burn down from PR6s to PR0s, I felt it necessary to throw out the caution signal here before seeing it happen all over again.

Check the PR for www.hubpages.com - it's a 6. Now, check the PR for www.squidoo.com - it doesn't rank anymore. That means lenses on Squidoo don't get that extra push anymore, which is why I beleive many SEOs have moved over to Hubpages (though that is pure speculation).

I never played in the Squidoo park, but I definitely enjoy the page rank here, and I do believe it gives hubs a push on the Google ladder. As such, you can understand why I have urged caution to keep this a good park for those looking to profit and those looking to become recognized for their writing.

I'm not here to attack anyone who is here to profit, as Hubpages is built with that purpose in mind. Instead, I am asking that those who know little about SEO and are practicing what they see use a bit of caution, so as not to accidentally tank the site.

As they say  ... it's not the ones who play the game that are dangerous, but those who fail to learn all of the rules before participating.

And the reason I say that ... I see a lot of good advice given out here, but all out of order, with snippets here and snippets there. I think those who know SEO are already aware good content is important and good keyword research is highly important too - beyond that, it's all about pushing up the ladder.

However, I see so much talk about optimization that I failed to see anyone stressing the importance of these two issues, and I wanted to see that message given in a language all could understand.

To educate the masses is good ... to give them a few ideas and send them off into the rain is bad ... and no one is to fault for that, as everyone is trying to help one another, but some aren't remembering to focus on the things we all learned first and have long forgotten ... as they have become a part of us that we just accept.

So, again, I am not saying that SEO techniques don't work, that SEOs are evil, or that SEOs have it all wrong. Instead, I am offering the message that content and keyword research must come first, and if a person learns just that much, then they stand a good chance at starting to earn some decent adsense (oh, and they need to write more than just a few hubs, and they need to wait some time to have their hubs climb up the Google indexes).

Also, the example I offered was to show that a plain vanilla page can rise up, without using SEO techniques, not that it could become number one. I know it takes more to be number one, and one cannot teach that all in one forum posting. Instead, the best one can do is give everyone a first step in the right direction, which I believe I have aptly done. I simply wanted to show how much of a push Hubpages can give to a page, using no SEO techniques. Anything added from that point forward pushes the page upward.

So, I am not the enemy of the SEOs. I'm just one of those who hasn't progressed enough through the woods that I have forgotten where I entered, which I'm afraid makes me feel responsible for seeing to it the others are led safely through the trees. smile

2. bigmikeh profile image69
      bigmikehposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Google is not as clever as many believe it to be. There's alot of garbage in their pages, even in the top positions.

But that means it's easier to rank for quality content on HubPages or elsewhere. None of this is rocket science. Somebody once said if people spent as much time writing quality content as they did trying to beat the ranking system, they would do very well.

You can't get away from CPC though. Last time I checked

cheap return flights to europe  $0.05  73 searches/month

cheap airfares to europe   $2.94  1,900 searches/month

Subtle difference in keyword, amazing difference in revenue

17. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

The sad fact is that if Google has really up to the job of finding pages that people wanted to read, writers could simply write good stuff and it would reach its target. Google is the best search engine there is and it still has less critical ability than a chimpanzee.

Worse, it herds us all into keyword corals to satisfy its main desire, which is to satisfy advertisers.

I want to make some money so I accept this but I can't get dewy eyed about 'great content'. The best anyone can do is write professionally to well chosen keywords.

As for off page SEO. Filling the net with endless garbage (ezine stuff etc) really does eat into the soul. If hacks have souls.

18. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

It ranks up there because Google gives high value to domain names as the domain name asbestosremoval.net contain both the words of query in it so it might rank even higher than this. Some of my domains have ranked higher without even having something like coming soon on them.

19. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Well to be frank ,I know Google are doing a helluva better than me with payouts lol

I made nothing yesterday

29c the day before. Chump change most days.

My keywords seem to be ok and the adverts good (cept for Scientolgy crap) but I changed catergories ,so that should help.

I just wish I could figure out the whole Google accounts thing ,how to understand it.
    Why dont they have a 'Dummies for Google"

How to find where my topic is ranked or best topics to write about?

Thankyou smile

20. Ladybird33 profile image67
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Yoshi, I think we are all looking for ways to improve or change, this information is excellent, at least for me.  Thank you, I have learned a lot from everyone that responded.

21. yoshi97 profile image56

Point well made, Darkside. Keyword research definitely is an SEO trick and one of the first we learn (and tend to forget we are using once it becomes a part of our normal behavior).

On another note, anyone figured out Bing yet? From what I've seen they appear to be placing a heay weight on any page placed within the Microsoft network of websites (which is to be expected), but I can't confirm that yet.

Maybe we could create a (friendly) hub challenge to see who can rank high on Bing. I thought I had the cookie the other day, but got flustered when one of my test pages (outside of Hubpages) binged upward, wobbled, and then bonged back down within a day.

My theory is that understanding the mindset of what they deem important helps one advance their own goal of moving up toward the top. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)