ARE ATHEIST MAD?

Jump to Last Post 51-91 of 91 discussions (450 posts)
  1. JonTutor profile image60
    JonTutorposted 14 years ago

Are Atheist Mad.... my answer NO.... some folks gonna believe Noah carried Dinosaur ... if they're cool.... Atheists are cool too. smile

1. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Amen"

1. JonTutor profile image60
        JonTutorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile

2. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

Are atheists mad?  I believe it is no more crazy to believe one theory than another.  We are all mad in some ways.

I believe any belief should be open to debate then we could debate madness without getting mad.

3. AsherKade profile image59
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I know one thing....whether we were created by a celestial being or an accidental cloud of gas spewing from the innards of another being somewhere in the cosmos....one thing we CAN agree on....we are pretty damn intelligent and finely made to be able to understand the complexity of things like the universe and argue who put it all together.

what other specie gets together in front of a lighted box, rambles and argues for hours about things and creates complex imagery for another person to ingest and debate about???

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

And yet we are thick as bricks.We seem to have one form of intelligence without the other. No other animal craps in it's nest till it is uninhabitable!

5. earnestshub profile image80

I saw the story of the little girl who died because her parents were religious fanatics. My heart went out to the little girl, but the parents can rot in the hell they believe in for mine. That level of ignorance and stupidity is just disgusting. If I had been a god botherer that would have turned me around! It is one thing to hold an irrational belief in a sky fairy, it is quite another to let your child die because of it.

1. Jewels profile image81
      Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think of the Nigerian children here, innocent victims of indoctrination and I really wish there was accountability by those that become evangelists and don't apply rational common sense to life.  At least for the sake of children.

6. earnestshub profile image80

The problem for many religionists is that they never got a chance to be otherwise.Indoctrination by parents and church starts early. Things learnt at that age stick.

7. earnestshub profile image80

I believe that real self worth is necessary for people to at least be open to change, unfortunately with religious indoctrination, self worth is the first casualty.

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The prophets are the greatest of spiritual teachers this planet has seen.Its sad to see some people twisting the philosophy and giving it  bad name.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is deadly too.

"Little knowledge is dangerous as it leads to false assumptions." smile

8. earnestshub profile image80

Mohit, I love children, got a stack of em smile I feel that the parent's belief is so far away from reality the little girl never had a chance.
    I would suggest that praying has never saved anyone.
    When I got cancer I had an operation. My best friend got cancer, would not have it operated on, instead he prayed and of course died. I was at much higher risk, have lived 15 years since, and he was dead in weeks. I have seen this sort of thing many times. Get a bloody doctor fools, don't rely on prayer or any other psych process, seek medical advice for your kids folks.Some things are dead set mechanical.

9. rvsource profile image61
    rvsourceposted 14 years ago

I personally find "humor" in most of what I read here. To think that some believe that we humans or "all life" in general are simply by chance is just absurd!

Every animal that walks, crawls, swims or flies has a body and a soul. The soul is what energizes that animal's physical make up. There've been numerous documented reports where a soul has left the body to later be called a "near death" experience. Those that have experienced that will see things differently as they continue to experience life.

I've read replies from some that have mentioned dinosaurs and people living together and trying to "logically" put it all together. I don't think it's within our mental capability to be able to do this. As we go from one life to many more (yes I just said "multiple" lives) and learn our lessons we evolve "spiritually." Eventually we will understand all that there is to understand. In the meantime it's simply "speculation" at best.

Is there a divine being, or is there a divine energy source? I believe there is a divine something, period! Take our entire solar system with the Sun and Moon at just the right distance to keep things in an orderly rotation. It creates seasons, weather, day and night. There are nine planets in our solar system, don't you find that interesting? Could it be that the dinosaurs were on this planet we now inhabit, millions of years ago? I wonder what kind of remains we would find on some of the other planets in our solar system. Could it be that there are bones of some other creatures on some of those planets? Maybe our planets are like "motels" and during our stay on this earth, could it be that one of the other planets are being "renovated" for the next whomever? I’m just throwing ideas out there.

We can all argue about what it's all about, but no one can prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt.

I just know that with every part of my being that theirs more than what meets the eyes. Religion teaches us to be kind and love each other. Science teaches us how to be logical. Doctors are here to repair our bodies when things go wrong. It all plays a part and we all are necessary. We all have a purpose in our lives and we strive everyday to learn and grow.

Thank You for adding your thoughts. My question is, is that purpose divine, individual based, both, or neither?

2. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you should be happy to find humor instead of comlaining smile

3. Jewels profile image81

Doesn't mean we don't venture into the unknown, be pioneers for what is unknown.  Even metaphysics will become more structured in time.

10. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Ah, well  I think your beliefs are pretty funny too. big_smile

And please feel free to just speak for yourself rather than lumping me in with not having the mental capabilty to decide whether dinosaurs lived at the same time as men. wink

11. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I would like to add a thought on religion which is 100% absolute truth through logic.

If every human was religious from the beginning of man until now with no individual belief or debate, the human would have never developed science. If every human followed a religion, evolution, medicine, individuality, freedom would have never been discovered. We would still be living as animals rather than humans.

1. tantrum profile image60

Amen! smile  very true

Thank You! I wanted to add, I would like anyone that is willing to debate that comment to enlighten me. lol

lol Any will work for me as long as they are individual ideas and not bible quotes.

Ah, good questions, but I don't know the answers, I can only guess. Condemned to death? Maybe, we all die of course. The question is, what happens after that? We won't know until we die. Considering evolution is a fact in life to learn and adapt, maybe the importance of life is to learn and teach in your individual part of evolution.

2. earnestshub profile image80

From Earnesthub:
                I know we are born condemned to death by a our own DNA which we now know after ten years of research by two Australian scientists.We will be in a position scientifically to halt dying within 10 years.
                The only reason anyone will die of old age after ten years time is that humans cannot accept life without death. Hardwired inbuilt religiosity stops the whole process. A strong propensity to fear death leads the sub-conscious mind to invent a way around the fear. Anyone who has studied the little we know about the subconscious has an idea of how much bigger it's "god" is than religions god.
                There is ample science to explain why god is a man made myth.
                The major religious tomes such as the Bible and Quoran for example are supposedly designed for all to read, yet they are self evidently unreadable!
                This is evidenced by hundreds of religions stemming from the same few books.Non dumbed down humans will see this straight away with just one example.
                There is no religious agreement because these books only describe the "human condition" which unfortunately is what we interpret through.So the world is a mirror, we see in it what we want to see of our own psychlogy and nothing else, in other words gods of any sort are what we believe as an aspect of self.
                Religionists speak about religious bliss without knowing that when properly functioning (so far unseen in humans) we are all capable of happiness and bliss 100s of times that which is currently understood by mankind.
                Our brains (yes even Steven Hawking's brain) are chemically depleted, access to seratonin and dopamine is measurably low and has been in a terrible state in humans for a long time.

This makes us intellectually slow as well as emotionally crippled. The worlds population are running on very low brain function due to modern life destroying brain chemicals and pathways at an ever increasing rate.
                this is more than theory, it is well known medically and supported by reams of university tests and scientific evidence that cannot be dismissed, unless of course you don't wish to know!
                Stress a human and you can watch the depletion of brain chemistry, neurons not firing properly, seratonin storage and release not operating to any decent level, we are an eight cylinder running on one cylinder only under modern stress.

We are not using even 10% of our brains because of the pitiful consciousness we have access to.If the religious open their minds they can know what I am saying, I can provide links and information about the exciting advances in science and thinking behind what I have said, Minds such as Steven Hawking.
                All the information is already out there to act on.
                I guarantee the zealots will not touch it. Too scary to be in charge of their own life, and too much responsibility to be both the devil and god. Mankind can change, not die, not run out of space or food, never feel emotional or physical pain, it is all in our future but how long to wait?
                Heres the bind... It has been estimated by psychologist and scientists that it will takes as long as 160 years before mankind Has enough emotional clarity to be able to see full life potential as a reality. First we have to wade through the mire of religiosity, superstition and dirty DNA apologists to come to terms with what we should be doing right now!
                Kinda makes me want to tell people about my religion or lack of it. Dunno why I bother really, just human I guess, because I know I am talking only to those who would learn about it soon enough anyway! smile those with an open mind.

Thanks for adding. I want to hear about the condemned for death through DNA part and the life extension in 10 years.

2. Jewels profile image81

Are you prepared to change the word religious with spiritual.  Personally everytime I read the word 'religious' I want to throw up. I do not equate them as the same.  Spiritual essence does not need religious dogma, and a person full of religious dogma is not necessarily spiritual.

12. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

So what's really important is what we call death. Life is an impasse between 2 realities, if you belief in reencarnation

death<life<death

if not ..well go figure!   lol

In my reality, I do not want to be reencarnated. I will do everything I can to live in my idea of good so I don't have to repeat the course. Maybe reencarnation is another chance for those who fail themselves the first time. Maybe there is nothing when we die, maybe reward or punishment? I don't know until I die. The religious explanation is not worthy to me.

13. tantrum profile image60

reward or punishment < bulls..t

Leave u now smile b back in 6hours or so

How could someone know without dying?

Use your brains, man! lol  last words

Is reward and punishment not seen in nature?

i c that only in the courts of justice lol  and i must go now ! stop posting or i can't go  lol  c u later

Ahhh, not always. When we make a stupid decision with our life, our chances of dying faster increases. Our punishment for a stupid choice is sometimes death. Is death not a punishment to the persons surviving family, friends?

no if they think they're going to meet them in the afterlife

You have a point. It would still affect them to an extent. The rest of their natural lives can change from the death. Who they meet, what they do, that can be changed by the loss.

that doesn't mean it has to be a punishment. Maybe they change for the best. it happens sometimes

14. earnestshub profile image80

OK I am here to admit it. I am mad, just not sure about the atheist bit though!

15. tantrum profile image60

O.OK so we agree and everybody is happy lol let's go back to the 1st question then: Are atheist mad ?  well I am,

Me am mad too

so we're a bunch of nutters lol

Absobloodylutely!

16. tantrum profile image60

sorry! thought it was meant 4 me. I'll leave it to earnest smile

Earnest is argueing in the other atheism thread I started. lol Earnest, give me some info when you are done. Ty.

Sorry marine, it is a bit of a dogs dinner, it has been some months since I was researching this and I have forgotten detail. The guts of it is there, but there is a mass of supporting data on the net anyway, written by real people who were there and did the research. I may dig up what I know and make a hub on it when I get time smile

17. earnestshub profile image80

marinealways, here we go then.
    I will try from memory first, but I am an old codger, so may have to refer as well.
    Several major scientific breakthroughs have occurred recently that are more than a little exciting.
    1. Burnham Institute for Medical Research has published the discovery of the "cell death triggering mechanism" this discovery is pretty hard to explain, but basically they have discovered the protein interactions that cause cell death. OK that is a small part of it.

2.An Australian husband and wife scientific team have found the actual protein that causes aging and death to begin.
    They said on BBC that it took them 9 years in which time they had a baby as well. The scientists described the finding as like opening the door to a photographers dark room and turning on the light.They said, now that we can see, we can examine the whole room. I am telling this from memory because it must be a year ago now, and I have not yet found the articles.I will though smile Some top research here, http://biopsychiatry.com/
    I could write a book right now on the little I know, but surfice to say, it is already out there in bits of information from many sources.

Alright, that is a long link. TY for posting, not done reading yet.

18. earnestshub profile image80

Come back Marine my friend I have steered you to a hub that is so large I spent two years reading it all! And I read fast. Another little thing you will notice is that you will need... a medical dictionary, a scientific dictionary, an oxford dictionary unless you have a much bigger vocab than me in nanotech, biology, chemistry et al. it is an amazing site. A very good friend in Brighton England runs it.His name is David Pearce, a gentle soul. The qualifications and reputations of the contributers is fantastic too, almost all of David's personal friends are not just great people, but highly educated in their areas of expertise. I hope you find something you like there! Sorry, didn't mean to write another bible!

19. earnestshub profile image80

Hi Jewels! I think there is structure coming to metaphysics now. I have been using David Pearce's sites for many years, and have almost finished a two year task of reading all the data therein. I hope we know and trust each other well enough for me to suggest you take a look. I cannot find the series on this aspect at this time, but it's there somewhere! Maybe bookmark it in your browser, I could be wrong, but there is so much about humanity and all sentient animals on the site, and yes even a theory of Paradise and a very good look inside body and brain chemistry, let's face it, David is one very smart person, I hope you meet him, a delightfully modest, humane and decent man. you know what they say about structure, "if it's good at the top" I would love a report back on what you hate/love wonder. If too busy, no problems smile I like your mind Jewel, I will probably always be trying to learn from it or teach it. smile smile

I will take a look earnestshub.  I do know there is structure coming to metaphysics - remember I'm part of a group that studies it experientially. (Please no kook comments or I'll have no time for fools who don't go beyond the currently known).  Anyone working in this field I applaud, of course providing they are using rational means to map it, ie bring it into a structured model without need for the FSM.

20. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

Speaking of memes (in either this hub or the bible one) - anyone watch Revolutionary Road.  That's is a great display of meme hypnosis, whereby you are sucked into the status quo.  Even when there is a part of you that does not want it, there are so many influences around you to keep you 'in the fold' that it is very difficult to break out of it.

The term Black Sheep, in terms of memes, is one who does get out of the influence of a meme, often however, kicking and screaming.  This is mainly because to go against what everyone else wants and to do it cleanly requires not giving the people who 'love you' what they want.  In the end, if you can pull it off, you get what you want.

Watch the movie, it's very well done.  And ask yourself did you buy into the American/Australian/British (etc) dream, and what part of your soul did you sell for it?

OK Jewels I'm on it.

21. earnestshub profile image80

As a very young and poor man I came to the big City and made a lot of money in business within 2 years. When my little girl was four, and her younger brother two, I was starting to grow my small business. We made a lot of money because my wife worked a terrible night shift so that I could re invest everything I could in to the business. I can remember the little ones not getting enough of mt time or their mothers sometimes, My daughter waited until she was secure in a marriage before she told me how much it had hurt her and her brother. I knew she was right of course, though at the time I felt like denying it because I felt hurt. Luckily by this time I had developed some modicum of sense and apologized to my children, not both at once! I know I sold my soul for success and I even know why, and what it means in the larger picture.

You are very lucky that your daughter was able to tell you, and lucky she is to have a father who could listen.  My father spent his life evolved around work and his own social life. His idea of a father was the breadwinner.  I couldn't bridge to my father and he was oblivious to why I was not friendly toward him.

22. Jewels profile image81

earnestshub, I think we could do well with a private discussion on Mr Pearce's work.  Is fantastic what he is doing, especially in the field of keeping tract of drugs. I'll use his Guide as a guide.  Also read the Utopian Neuroscience.  I can't help wonder though, what yardstick do individual's use as a measure of happiness.  Also it is not a constant and so the utopian state - is it sustainable in our physical state?  Many questions came to mind as I read some of his work (will take me quite a while to read it all).  Brain chemistry (IMHO) is individual and in accordance to the reaction of our own environment, our responses to stimuli which would be or could be different to another.  It's my understanding because brain chemistry is what gets changed because of our environment, it would not work long term unless the cause effect is determined - that would be the core of malaise or core of suffering, and we changed our reaction to that core.

I've read many things, whereby people are led to believe that it is the brain chemistry itself that is the cause of our suffering.  I believe it is our state of mind that determines the imbalance of the chemistry.  Fix the imbalance, fix ourselves.  But to do that with the use of chemicals may give a short term answer to a long term problem, and in the end has the long term problem been addressed?

What if there was a process whereby you could get to and change the initial charge of the cause of a chemical imbalance without drugs?

I do find his work invaluable in the tracking of neuroscience.

Wonderfully lear as always Jewels.
      Davids drug information is accurate and well supported. He has a vast personal knowledge of drugs, brain chemistry and many many other disciplines and is a very sweet man. All his friends are the same, very very bright and dedicated to the cause of BLTC. I will post their statement, although brief, it is inspiring, maybe to others too? The neuroscience is well argued too, both for and against, David likes peolpe to have am opinion smile smile The happiness of humans is something I already know a bit about, but it does take a blunt and difficult step away from many very strongly held beliefs, that although false are confronting and provocative, and have a surprising hold on the psych. If you like to work with logical yet extended thinking, well their is a hell of a lot of it here.
      Brain chemistry is fraught as you would expect, but there are partial solutions and short term fixes, but some with feasible futures. The seratonin and dopamine structures as you know, cannot be solved with the perfect empathize MMDA or one of the other several hundred apparently psychologically usable drugs, from this pikhal group, but it is not a dead end.
      You are right about the differing brain chemistry, but this is becoming more transparent with research too.
      The state of mind question needs discussion, as we disagree somewhat there, so it could contain something for us to know about smile The core effect is addressed in "the hedonistic imperative" or "trouble at the mill," I cannot recall which one.
      The plot thickens from here, I am sitting here in a back brace hurting, and my beautiful 20 year old son is going to fix my back. I will return... love taking atcha Jewels.

There is one other process that does come to mind.
      The galvanic probe could be considered as a more mechanical approach to extreme eg murderous behavior problems at least. The probe basically short circuit's the "lizard brain" when the said probe's electrodes are placed at the rear of the brain and a weak electrical current is passed in to the brain at this point. Antiquated and crude as this may sound, it is effective at controlling extreme violence and may have current applications if modernized. This is old tech.

23. candice5 profile image58
    candice5posted 14 years ago

smile

Hello Candice5, I hope I find you  happy and well.

24. earnestshub profile image80

This extract from the Hedonistic Imperatives front page statement

"The Hedonistic Imperative outlines how genetic engineering and nanotechnology will abolish suffering in all sentient life.

What comes to mind is Gattaca.  On the surface all looks fine, underneath it's abhorrent.  And who determines what is happiness?  there is no doubt nanotechnology is here and will influence our lives in the future.  I have concerns about the ethics of it.   Huxley kept in mind empathy and compassion as human traits and the wisdom of seers and spiritual initiates as a source of knowledge not to be ignored but used.  A grave cause of concern to me is the loss of the human ability to be capable of reaching metaphysical states.  Unfortunately science, even Mr Pearce, does not seem to understand the concept of subtle bodies and our innate physical abilities to experience bliss, taste soma internally and not via a drug.  We can already do this. Admittedly it's becoming a lost art.

I don't know what drugs are going to do in regard to impeding the ability to reach high states of consciousness long term.  The current drugs do impede it and like Mr Pearce acknowledged, our current attempts at healing thru drugs is gross and fails us badly. We have a long way to go. 

And my personal jury is out as to whether humanity is going to benefit here.  I have a big caution flag up.

I can fully understand your caution, the whole area is fraught with danger, the path obscure, and I am interested in discussing it and any other means of repair for the human condition.
        David you will find is very open to any discussion, and will happily learn from others, so if you have strong  or for that matter any objections or theories you would like to pursue, I know you will be warmly welcome to contribute arguments and ideas. That is what I like about you Jewel, you can think for yourself better than many. smile

Hi jewel, I'm back with a working back again, my wonderful son drove right across town to give a deep tissue massage. It worked!.
        As you and David agree, there are chemical repercussions for induction of any mind altering drug we have today. These are legitimate problems and no solutions yet. As in the broad sense we are looking at conscious development and to go forward even a little will require much gnashing of teeth and turmoil as in all human condition change, and not a few dead sacred cows!
        After reading the theory some years ago, I returned and learnt many associated interactions to understand it further, I am enjoying the attempt to integrate the big picture of ending psychological and physical pain that is ancient and un needed. The range of theories on the site  and all its subsidiaries is broad indeed, and a bit of arguing with itself is healthily spread throughout. Anyway, enough of the sales pitch, I wanted to know what you thought, and you have been magnificent in telling me. i would like to learn more about your areas of expertise too, as I already know you have a lot to share.

Maybe some of it is not needed, but hmmmmmmm?  Lots to learn thru encapsulated pain.  Interestingly their is more fear of the emotional 'pain' than the physical pain.  Seen time and time again with clients sourcing their dis-ease.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is a scary idea. I do not think I have ever learned a lesson of any value that was not a painful one.

I agree Mark, that's what worries me about the whole concept.  People are basically shit scared of feeling their dis-ease and that's why they have it.  If one takes a pill to stop feeling, where does that leave experiences? 

I've seen so many people on anti-depressants who are way removed from the intelligent human they used to be.  This fake persona takes over.  Sad.

I have seen the same first hand over my lifetime, and even lost my best manager and close friend to injected speed among many other negative experiences with drugs.
          David's drug site is an accurate critic of drugs without the sensationalized reefer madness, and no side effects are un examined, you will need to read this part very carefully or you may get the wrong impression.
          As for drugs that develop the correct chemical structure for the brain to work as it should, the only problem is our own chemical factory leaves no crime unpunished.

Truthfully I have taken pure (now unobtainable)MMDA and the other methyl MDMA now seen as a lousy drug for parties, so no market with todays smart shoppers.
          The damage to a one time user of E is so minimal if at all, it could not be measured the next day.Even drug enforcement here don't try to sell that it will hurt your body, but they do claim it hurts your brain, and that just aint so. The only way I know to use the drug is for gaining more knowledge of my true self. I avoid mixing it with the wrong chemicals like alcohol, prepare the body with rest and exercise, eat lightly as you would for a run and set the environment to your own needs and desires, most preferably on your own if you are a confident and self controlled person, with a trusted friend otherwise and in a receptive state, take exactly the right dose of a correctly tested tablet and wait 30 minutes or so. you will be in the correct state to learn the true power of your own love, your love for others and your own life. Want peace? I like to feel ecstatic and at peace simultaneously and although perhaps others can do so with other forms of meditation I cannot get as far as with E. I only  used drugs for pain relief or self discovery apart from social alcohol maybe twice a year. When our intention is to have the best experience with E understand the chemical system will only take you that high once. Do not waste 1% of it. meditate, and make conscious as much love as we can, and it is wonderful. get E right, use it once only, as you do not lose the experience, and then come tell me you know what ecstasy really is, and I will say, that is how we are designed to be. totally loving beings.
          There are so many derivatives of this group of drugs with different psychoactive responses which although known to be very psychologically useful, are in the hands of one man, the only person permitted to test them. You can read here if you do not know the Alexander and Ann Shulgin story. it is here  http://www.mdma.net/alexander-shulgin/shulgins.html along with results of tests et al. Go to PiHKAL on the front page, go on blow your mind with some very interesting people!

The proposed advanced consciousness assumes no role for pain in learning, and presents very detailed discussions and a clear view of what why where and how our own DNA makes us apologists for pain as a good thing. A huge read. As I said it has taken me two years so far, but the site grows and updates an enormous amount of scientific material, so the reas goes on wink  A bit slow tonight folks so typos may prevail, i hope not, thanks for reading smile

This means a giant leap in the mindset of human beings.  Currently it is pain that is the barometer to learning right from wrong.  A child doesn't know what wrong is until it's 'corrected', often painfully by a parent.  Physical and emotional pain are not separated in this teaching method. Humanity will need whole new teaching methods using love - geez!  I will certainly have to wait till my next life to see this.

I'll read more on the drugs tomorrow.  Bit late to take it in now.

You are absolutly spot on Jewel! It has been estimated that the science is here, the socializing could take a very long time! smile

2. marinealways24 profile image59

I know you are speaking of anti-depressants in general, I would like to say they have been life changing for me when I take them. They balance me out.

That is very good, and an important point to make. I have seen anti depressants work too marine, but as you would know some people have severe problems with the chemical backlash in the form of side affects. Most of the current drugs are MAO's and SRI's, or Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitors that take about six weeks to start working. they block store and release seratonin in the brain.We get depressed when access to brain seratonin is depleted, it happens constantly to the human brain throughout our lives. I believe we are all lacking seratonin and that consequentially we are all depressed!

Thanks for adding Earnest, excellent thoughts. I agree anti-depressants are often misdiagnosed and have had horrible consequences at times. For me, the opposite. When I am not taking them, my thoughts will focus on the bad while being blinded to the good. When on them, I still see the bad, but I can see the promise of the good.

I'm sorry to hear this about you.  I'm leaving the thread as I can't  be of any help here..  I don't think you like my jokes smile And yes, 4 me life is a joke

Ha, thanks. Don't be sorry for me. I have it better than many others. If it takes popping a pill to balance me out, no problem. I like your comments, I don't have a problem with them.

25. earnestshub profile image80

Mark, you said: This is a scary idea. I do not think I have ever learned a lesson of any value that was not a painful one. no my clever friend there is another way to see it, All growth in my psych has been painful as hell, as have those who seek to know self. it is shitty in there with the dark side, or shadow aspect of self. the next question is what if it wasn't? Sorry i may not have explained it well. smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

No, you explained it just fine.

I am still entertaining the suggestion that we are "conditioned," to treat pain as a good thing and thereby learn from it. I will have to digest this one though as this is a new idea for me. I am well aware that I have been conditioned in a number of ways and I need to spend some time looking inside to see if this is the case.

If it is, I will be pissed as all get out. wink

Although, perhaps it will not be such a painful learning process? lol

lol

No mate, it will hurt like hell, just like the rest of your personal growth! smile Unfortunately we humans, despite all our attempts to change, hate everything about it emotionally.

26. Jewels profile image81

If I can't sleep tonight because of all these questions I'll be blaming you ernestshub for the dis-ease.  You have me looking at the mechanism of how trauma impacts on the body and I'm fathoming genetic modifications that change our responses so we don't encapsulate.  I know in an ideal world how flow occurs, but we don't live in one of those.  The inability to express any emotion and feeling in a manner that does not cause dis-ease requires a massive shift.  I'm now being open minded to see how it is possible.  I'm still not liking the drug thing, but I'll just put it out there for the time being.

What you're looking at here, or what David Pearce is wanting, is not to take the road less traveled, and make it an easy road via a chemical balance and genetic modification.  Have I got that right?

Till tomorrow.  Nite!

It's morning here now Jewels so I will be around for a while. I think you pose a question I had not thought to process, (not unusual for me!)

Which question ernest?  I'm still mulling over a few above my head.

I was mulling over your comment about not taking the road less traveled and I am not sure if it shortening or bypassing or being a part of the process. I think the connections in the brain are central to the drug side of the discussion though, because it is proposed that the chemistry is currently incorrect.
          The word "drug" now owns it's own nasty connotation, yet if you said Dietary supplement, vitamin, or referred to drugs as chemical compounds they are all the same thing at one level, and the emotional response can be different. After all, we have a  sophisticated drug factory running our entire body system complete with neural pathways for all the drugs we have. It is to be remembered that all these drugs are part of our body now anyway.

27. tantrum profile image60

I'm happy to say i'm not depressed at all. haven't been in all my life, even through distress.smile I think is more of how you consider life.  For me it's a joke

You aren't saying you consider life a joke are you?

28. tantrum profile image60

marinealways thank you. I was worried I've hurt you

lol are you kidding me? Have you not seen the arguements I have had in the forums before? Thank You for your condiseration and comments. Your one of the only ones that answers my questions. lol

lol   I feel like being tragic right now lol

lol being tragic? Sounds poetic.

Yeah well, I write poetry 2.  I wrote some haiku poetry hub, you'll see it in a couple of weeks

I will do my best to read them.

Ah, TY, but what is wrong with dumb people? We can learn from those also. Everyone has something to be learned from.

ready- made phrases...I've heard that before. Nothing wrong with dumb people, if they don't get in my way lol

29. Jewels profile image81

If you buy into there only being a physical existence and no continuum of consciousness then by all means do the drug thing. What would it matter, who cares.  Have as good a time as you can and Bob's your uncle.

However, if there is a continuum of consciousness and it is this consciousness that is experiencing life as a means to transform and reach higher states, then the influence of drugs is of major concern.  That's one standpoint to consider.

If the powers that be had good intentions that all of mankind lived in a state of positive emotion?  It sounds utopian for sure.  It also sounds controlling. This reminds me of a book Bleeding Sun where one young man went against the mold.  He didn't take his drugs and because of the lack of real feeling, real empathy, real compassion, the world was really quite cardboard, custard type love, not the real thing.  You know how you know when someone is genuine and someone is faking the caring thing.  The Authority - I think it is called The Rex, had microchips embedded in everyone where they monitored emotions to make sure everyone was within a certain level of calm.  You would take your meds in accordance with your mood which was monitored by the authority.

This is a futuristic book of course but based on what is possible.  You bringing up what David Pearce is doing is putting it fair in my reality as something that is likely.  I remember when I read it I was shitting myself because I could see that it IS possible.

Now this guy may have good intentions, but who's ethics do we rely on here.  Remember Paraglider doing a hub on having a set of ethics void of politics and religious control (not talking spirituality here).  We don't even have a fair set of ethics or a model that suits everyone.  We haven't even a good foundation to base this drug induced utopia on.

More soon.  I'm still mulling thoughts here.

Yes I see the difficulties too if consciousness did go on after death I guess, although a chemically balanced brain may not be a problem, as no foreign chemical would be involved, just chemical correction.
      I do not understand consciousness after death, as if the brain stops,chemical brain processes would seem to destroy both consciousness and subconscious processes. What do you think?

God consciousness, your deepest consciousness is eternal.This death we experience is just a gate to another dimension and your spirit or soul can never die. smile

hi Mohit! smile I get that we "live forever" in the true scientific fact that nothing is destroyed, just changed but as I see no possibility of "god" outside a working brain, I see no way to be aware or conscious of "god" I also believe we already have the science in place to allow man to not die, we just do not have a society that will support it, and although it could be achievable within ten years, it will take more than a hundred years before mankind has made enough of "god" conscious to see that there is no need to keep the diseases of pain or death.

The deepest material or essence, the building blocks of  this universe and man is a very fine light love tissue with infinite knowledge which is called god.

I don't want to be here on this planet forever, I like being in the other dimension where there are no limitations because of the body.
            For that I must die. smile

"Some say I will live till eighty,
            Then home I will come to your endless beauty."

I would like to be here forever. As long as the development of the sub-consciousness continues, I want to know it's wonders. If my life is my myth, then I want to know more smile

Each to his own. smile

What are you doing in October?  Do you have skype also?  There is a workshop in Melbourne you may be interested in.  If you really are diving into subconscious and unconscious stuff and you want to feel these subtle bodies I'm talking about then you may like it.  If you go I just may wander down for the heck of it.  PM me if you like and we can make contact.  I'll get more details on it as well.

2. glendoncaba profile image74
              glendoncabaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Creative.  Sublime.  Poetic.  Deep.

You haven't read my hubs earnest!  I do understand consciousness beyond the physical body and this is what concerns me.  Drugs do currently effect the area of subtle bodies - ie those structures that bridge to higher states of consciousness.  The brain is just an organ through which consciousness becomes animated.

What are you talking about when you say higher states of consciousness?

I've tried to pass this to you on another forum but failed.  I can only say learn to have the experiences yourself, drug free, otherwise we will not be speaking the same language.  There are practical methods in which to practice getting to these states. They are out of mind, out of body experiences, yet you are still attached to your physical body.  From these states you can see the separation of mind and body, you will see your brain is not the center of your functioning existence, and the expansion of states of consciousness do not have language but nonetheless are very real. These states are not drug induced. There are many levels of consciousness, experiencing the solar logos is a major one, but it is one of many. Being able to stabilize these spaces and recognize them is a task in itself, instead of having random experiences you use will to return to spaces and expand them purposefully.  All of these experiences are done internally and not through any external influence.

Alright, Ty for explaining again. What do you see when you go to a different level of consciousness?

30. earnestshub profile image80

I'm pretty much a free spirit these days and my time is mine when I am not being intellectually pulped my my grandchildren!
    Too bloody smart for me they are!Reasonable I suppose, as the twin girls are four now.
    I am on skype as earnestster, and yes I am always studying and wanting to know more about the crazy thing that sits on my shoulders!

Cool on many levels.  I just added you on skype, look out for it.

Yep Got it!Thanks jewels!

31. tantrum profile image60

As always I've got 2 go... C u later smile

32. glendoncaba profile image74
    glendoncabaposted 14 years ago

Hey you wonderful philosophers of cyberspace.  Three weeks will hardly be at computer screen but now and again pop in to enjoy the deep space chatter. big_smile

Interesting you guys talking about this life and death thing while I'm writing a eulogy for a brother-in-law.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

That sux. Too bad your brother in law is dead. Have a safe trip. sad

I will get back to making fun of your beliefs in 3 weeks time. smile

33. earnestshub profile image80

Jewels I am reading your hubs in between other online work.
    You have a vast knowledge base to work from. We may or may not agree on all of these matters, I do not know yet until I finish and dissect, but I do know you have an open mind, and have actually had a look in it! smile

34. Gin Delloway profile image34
    Gin Dellowayposted 14 years ago

Why do you think that atheists are mad? I'm sure that everyone can decide on his own to believe or not to believe in God, devine origin of people and so on.

35. dotslash profile image68
    dotslashposted 14 years ago

I think you're right uwgirl.

In my mind it's simply because a religion and a god without followers is pretty much nothing.

Which is why all religions are so keen to convert and recruit by whatever methods necessary, without them a God would have to fall back on his own omnipotence.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its a commandment...is all Love one another as I have loved you

(its not meant to be a secret) lol

but like most instructions man has to deal with , most of us &^%#@ it up lol

p.s Im sure not all Atheists are mad , just like not all Christians are cuckoo..smile

1. dotslash profile image68
        dotslashposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually I think you'll find that's not a commandment - 'is all Love one another as I have loved you'

But then again I might be reading the wrong bible, hey if you want to make commandments up that's fine by me.

36. Shaul Stein profile image62
    Shaul Steinposted 14 years ago

i believe that all persons should listen to their conscience. if they have a change of heart about what they believe, they have to work through that and listen to the new thing they have discovered.
    i cannot change anyones mind to believe or if they do believe, convince them to not, that is a matter of conscience. i can tell them what i think, but i cannot change their mind for them.
    i am an individual and have learned many things to be true by experience, like not to touch the hot stove, don't leave the water running.
    i can follow instructions from another if they are in charge too.
    i think that i should treat others the way i wish to be treated, even if they treat me bad, i still should treat them the way i'd like to be done.
    i think that to love is best, to let no bitterness inside.

37. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

Anyone who respects his conscience will understand that God is man's creation. There are no atheists in this world. Some fear for the unknown, which was named God. Difference of opinion need not be called atheism.

Madness is an obsession or possessiveness. Atheists keep their heart and mind fresh, ready to accept facts and they cannot be mad.  Religious people have several impractical beliefs in their minds.

Religious people have several impractical beliefs in their minds.That's so true!

38. Bibowen profile image87
    Bibowenposted 14 years ago

"Are atheists mad"?

Is this a trick question?

39. Alastore001 profile image60
    Alastore001posted 14 years ago

I am an atheist, or maybe you could say "non-theist" however you wanna categorize it.
    Anyway, I don't trash other peoples opinions in fact i greatly dislike it. I think you should have the freedom to believe whatever you want, and strongly believe you should keep that to yourself. Not so much in the sense you cant express your beliefs but in the sense i don't want you trying to push your beliefs on me. If you want to believe that a great magical sock puppet created us all from magical lint balls attached to him (-sarcasm- and in no way meant to be offensive to any religion)then.. hey feel free. I have my right to think your wrong, or that your ideals are pretty dumb, but I'm not going to sit there and throw that in your face. Everyone has the right to believe whatever you want.

40. tantrum profile image60

alastore001 wrote:
    If you want to believe that a great magical sock puppet created us all from magical lint balls attached to him (-sarcasm- and in no way meant to be offensive to any religion)then.. hey feel free. I have my right to think your wrong

Well...if that's not rude!......

1. Alastore001 profile image60
      Alastore001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't know if your being sarcastic or not, its rather hard to tell through text.
      Anyway i really cant stress enough that im not trying to bash any religion. Im not relating that comment in any way to the way i view religion, im just stating that you can believe WHATEVER you want, and thats your right.

I doubt that anyone actually believes something like that, as i said its just an extremely sarcastic scenario.

41. tantrum profile image60

'extremely sarcastic scenario.'

WHATEVER!!.....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)