Did Donald Trump Finally Cross The Line and Be Disqualified?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (114 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image85
    My Esotericposted 7 years ago

Today, July 27, 2016 Donald Trump first said:

"They probably have her 33,000 e-mails. I hope they do. They probably have her 33,000 e-mails that she lost and deleted because you'd see some beauties there. So let's see,"  and

"Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing. I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press,"

And then he tweeted -

"If Russia or any other country or person has Hillary Clinton's 33,000 illegally deleted emails, perhaps they should share them with the FBI!"

Ex-CIA Chief Penetta said this goes beyond the "pale" and should be disqualified to run for President.

Granted, Penetta is a Democrat, but he is also ex-CIA and ex-Sec Def; but do you agree or disagree with his statement?

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree with it.  I know you all will think the backlash against Donald's idiocy is partisan, but this is truly serious.  My husband is retired from intelligence and he is alternately flabbergasted, disgusted, and furious. If Donald wants to be president, he cannot be this stupid.  His candidacy should now be over.  Period.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The requirements for being President are pretty well laid out: what would be the legal reasoning behind disqualifying him?  That the Democratic party had lost any semblance of ethics?

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Only idiocy  would disqualify HIM   and let Hilary go free for her Totally Treasonous political career !

Can ANYBODY on the left  spell sarcasm ?

2. profile image0

No legal reason. Go ahead and vote for him. Your judgement. Your call.

1. wilderness profile image95

??  Then why would anyone, let alone an ex-CIA director, say he should be disqualified?  Have they joined Hillary in her contempt for the law and her insistence that it not apply to her?

You, PP, said you agreed - how can you support that opinion given that it is illegal to do so?

1. profile image0

I didn't interpret his remarks to be referring to a precise legal definition of the qualifications for prsident. It doesn't surprise me that you went there, though.

Well, yes I went there.  It's kind of important to follow the law, and I'm not affiliated with the Democratic party! big_smile

1. profile image0

That's your prerogative to judge a person's qualifications for president by purely legal standards. Then you must also believe Hillary to be qualified, since there is no legal reason to disqualify her.

Absolutely Hillary is qualified!  She is a master politician, extremely skilled at lying, manipulation of people, selling favors and ignoring the law.  Just what the Democratic party wants and needs.

Although, come to think of it, not particularly what I or the country needs...but she IS qualified by everything it takes to win an election.

1. profile image0

There you go.

2. Credence2 profile image78
                    Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

When it comes to what the "country needs"' , you need to speak for yourself. The electorate in November will determine what the country needs....

3. My Esoteric profile image85
        My Esotericposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Whatever the reasons Trump has when he makes the same claim.  But, in reality "disqualifying" when used by anybody in this election is NOT intended to be a legal claim; it is a moral claim.  You can elect a murderer to be President if you want for the Constitution is silent on character or even whether one is under criminal indictment or not.  35 and a natural citizen (which does not mean born on American soil) is all that's needed.

3. RJ Schwartz profile image86
      RJ Schwartzposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Trump is playing the game we call politics, same as every other candidate has in the past.  Both sides spend too much time trying to frame their opponents actions as "disqualifying" when there aren't any statures to back those statements up.  It's theater for the masses.

4. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Conservatives claim that Russia is our biggest enemy and justifies the U.S. having the largest military on the planet (7X larger than any other country).

Then they justify having Russia interfere in our presidential election.

How incredibly hypocritical.

5. FitnezzJim profile image77
      FitnezzJimposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I sort of assumed that the Russians or some other country with a reasonably good intelligence apparatus already had them.  So when I heard about what Trump had said, I interpreted it as he thinks the same thing and was saying "If you've got it, flaunt it."

No, Trump encouraged Russia to "find" them; "find" means actively search for, in this case through espionage.

1. profile image0

Pure idiocy suggests that !

6. tamarawilhite profile image85
      tamarawilhiteposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If the emails were nothing but yoga discussions and wedding plans, then Russia having them wouldn't matter.
      If the deleted emails were classified, it is proof that her negligent handling of classified data that has strict handling guidelines to prevent such leaks endangered national security. This proves she's unfit for office.
      If they detail her abuse of being Secretary of State, giving various authorizations for export and business deals in return for millions in donations to the Clinton Foundation or $100,000 for Bill Clinton to give a 15 minute speech, then it is proof she's utterly corrupt and unfit for office.

1. IslandBites profile image90
        IslandBitesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

But wasn't that a joke? sad

2. Live to Learn profile image61
    Live to Learnposted 7 years ago

Completely disagree. If someone could find the emails I would think that would be a good thing.

Unless, of course, she was deleting large quantities of classified information from a personal server. At that point, if Russia did find them, would it be Trump's fault or hers?

I can assure you if Russia was looking they would have been doing it before he made this statement. It wasn't a secret that they were gone. To imply that they are sitting around waiting for a presidential contender to make them aware of it and extend the invitation is ludicrous.

I think you miss the point Live.  Granted, all that we know is after the fact like you say; but he is asking about the deleted emails, where ever they be.  Effectively, he is asking Putin to go look for them, and that is espionage.  Most probably, if the Russians had hacked her server, they might already have them ... but that is not a given.  So he is encouraging them to spy on America.

1. Live to Learn profile image61
        Live to Learnposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I think this is a foolish argument. Unless, we are naive enough to think they weren't already snooping.

Seriously, I can't imagine a smaller molehill. It was a foolish statement on his part, but that's it.

Of course they have been snooping, or trying to anyway.  But here have Trump asking the spy even more than they have; THAT is what the problem is ... an American candidate for President asking a foreign power to spy on America in the future-tense.

2. profile image0
        Hxprofposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Seeing as HC used a private, entirely hackable system, and the DNC system was recently hacked by Russians, I'm led to the conclusion that Clinton's emails are already in their hands.....I think that's what Trump believes as well, even though his choice of language seems to be suggesting that the Russians "try" to find them.

2. colorfulone profile image79
      colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

+100 ... oh, yeah!

1. profile image0

There's your clue, L to L, that you've jumped the shark on this one.

3. Alternative Prime profile image56
    Alternative Primeposted 7 years ago

"Delusional Donald" "Crossed the LINE" within MINUTEs of Announcing his Pseudo-Campaign months ago, a Kick-Off at Trump Tower which believe it or NOT, according to reports, was attended LARGELY by "Paid ACTORs" to Bolster the "APPEARANCE of Interest & Excitement", a Scheme he apparently felt was necessary because he was fearful that nobody would SHOW-Up ~ Look it Up, it's been reported on ~

This time HOWEVER, According to the EXPERTs, "Criminal INTENT" was indeed EXPRESSED by Donald when he ENCOURAGED Espionage by Communist Russian AGENTs ~ The CIA would be NEGLIGENT if a Comprehensive Criminal INVESTIGATION did not Transpire ~

Ummm...You do understand that while you are an expert in BS, you are NOT an expert in determining criminal intent?  You thus cannot claim that because you think it was criminal that you have an expert opinion that says it was.

1. Alternative Prime profile image56
        Alternative Primeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

smile ~ No COMMENT ~ Although I have an EXTENSIVE Law Background I'll simply refer ALL Readers to a Retired Admiral for STARTERs ~

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/d … son-226328

2. profile image0

Your opinions are  truly delusional ,    Why don't YOU ever hold Queen Hillary to the same standards  as you do Trump ?   Seriously -  do doo doo do doo'odoo !

"Earth to Alternative Prime ".......  are you out there ?

1. Alternative Prime profile image56

Because there is ZERO Comparison between the two ~

Donald is actually Mentally DISTURBED, he's Paranoid, Hate FILLED, he has SEVERE Anger Issues & he's Perhaps Schizophrenic ~ These Mental Illnesses are "CLEAR & Apparent" to any Professional ~

1. profile image0

I have to hand it to you ,A.P.  Every time I read one of your posts  , I see the opposite faced opponent in all the words you chose !  You just perfectly described the Clintons ! BOTH OF  THEM !

I mean Every time !

2. wilderness profile image95

Unfortunate, isn't it, that there isn't a professional to verify the statements of angry laymen that haven't a clue what the words even mean?

I don't go quite that far in describing #LyinTrump.  BUT, having said that he does fit the:
          - Textbook definition of narcissistic personality disorder
          - - Closely associated with NPD is sociopath and psychopathy
          - - Together they equal Antisocial Behavior Disorder (not my observation but several psychologists who decided to go public with their opinions)
          - The textbook definition of xenophobia
          - The textbook definition of a bigot
          - The textbook definition of a high-scoring person with a social domination orientation

That is who you want as your President?

Other people who have that combination of personality traits: Hitler, Stalin. Saddam Hussein, and their ilk.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

I saw it as sarcasm... a poke at US agencies who were unable to recover any of the lost emails. Why are people upset if the deleted material all related to wedding plans and yoga classes?

1. profile image0

Okay, then you would be fine with Hillary Clinton urging Germany to pore through Donald's email servers to find his tax returns?

As long as she does it sarcastically, during a public speech and doesn't use covert methods to achieve it what would be the harm?

Oh, yeh. One problem. Hillary doesn't know how to be open and honest.

1. profile image0

Well, I thought you understood the seriousness of being president.  I really did. 

Sorry to have misjudged you.  There is a reason intelligence officials are speaking out about Donald's reckless and dangerous statement.

1. mrpopo profile image73
            mrpopoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

What reason is that?

2. profile image0

Does your cynicism apply only to Clinton?

Not in the least.

1. profile image0

Does it apply to any major Republican you can name?

Any major Republican I can name. Let me think.

I don't really pay attention to a politician until they are running for an office I will be voting for. I'll say that I considered Ted Cruz and Rubio would have said anything they felt would garner them a vote; regardless of whether it was true or not. I would say that Chris Christie had to be corrupt.

I don't think it is possible to find a career politician who isn't corrupt. It is part of the system and I doubt they could stay in the system without playing the game. Most of them are there for what they can get out of it.

"I don't think it is possible to find a career politician who isn't corrupt."

I think you're right.  While many start at the very local level with a real desire to help run the (neighborhood, city, county, whatever) by the time they reach the Hill they have left that naive feeling far behind.  It isn't possible there to get anything and maintain a set of ethics, not any more if it ever was.

Yes, I agree. I personally think it takes less than six months to corrupt a politician in Washington.

2. profile image0

You don't seem to have much direct experience with politicians. They act the way they do because ignorant, vicious and self-centered voters force them to act that way.

I personally some some very good people who have spent years in politics.

Politicans are no different than any other group of people. Some are good and some are bad. If you don't like the system, then work to fix it.

No, they aren't forced to act that way.  They act that way because it gains them power and money, not because anyone is forcing them.  After all, at the end of it the most they can lose is their job and we've all had that experience.

2. RJ Schwartz profile image86
        RJ Schwartzposted 7 years agoin reply to this

But Trump didn't ask anyone to hack into any servers - he asked if they "found" them to bring them forward.  It's not the same thing.

1. profile image0

Oh so they're going to "find" them with what?  Their spidey senses? roll

From my understanding it's implying they already hacked the servers and have the emails. Is the server still active and vulnerable to hacking? Or is there another way to obtain the emails?

Also, could you elaborate on why intelligence officials like your husband consider Trump's statements reckless and dangerous?

1. profile image0

My husband: Any suggestion at all, toward Russia or any other country, that it is acceptable to obtain or have in their possession emails of a government official or an American citizen is bordering on treasonous if not legally considered to be treason. For a man who wants to be president, that is unacceptable.

Edited to add: My husband is a registered Republican who cannot stand either Hillary or Donald. He has been saying he will not vote for either of them. After this statement by Donald, he is wavering. I think there are a significant number of conservatives like my husband who are near the tipping point. Each one has a point at which the stupidity of Donald will become so overwhelming they will do what it takes to keep him away from that presidential chair.

Was he suggesting that what Russia did is acceptable? Or was he suggesting that Russia probably has the emails so they might as well provide them?

1. profile image0

I don't know. Ask him.

If you don't know why are you claiming it is borderline treason? There's a difference between condoning hacks, and asking for information that came from a hack.

2. profile image0
                  Hxprofposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Mrpopo, some saying that's exactly what Donny meant: That Russia probably already has the emails.  Hello, hello?  Any HC supporters listening? Can you take your blinders off and see HC as the bought out security risk she is?  What's worse than already being owned by foreign governments?  Or being in a position (as Donny is suggesting - read between the lines) that she can be blackmailed by foreign powers, including the Russians?  I'm not voting for either candidate, and I can't wrap my head around the idea that HC can possibly be better than The Donald.

Well according to the OP he did say this:

"They probably have her 33,000 e-mails."

and

"They probably have her 33,000 e-mails that she lost and deleted because you'd see some beauties there. "

So I'm going to go on a limb and say that's what he probably meant.

No "suggesting" about it.  He said that IF they have them, divulge them, otherwise go "FIND" them.  The quote that has gotten him in trouble is"

"Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing, I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press,"

By anybody's grammar, ".. you're able to find..." can have two meanings.

1.  If you had them AND LOST THEM, then "I hope you find them" or
                  2.  If you never had them at all, then "I hope you find them" means keep on looking. 

It is definition number 2 that seems more reasonable to me since the alternative is that the Russians were incompetent enough to LOSE them to begin with, IF they had them.

1. profile image0

Your implication of Trumps sarcasm fails miserably to indict  him for the type of  treason that Hillary has ALREADY  performed with much grace since well before her election to senate . Her servitude in the State dept. or  even her stupidity in the primaries ,     Good luck convincing  people to  believe  your crap about a candidates sarcasm .   

Do liberal mental midgets  really expect this issue to  gain traction ?, Well , I guess it only can given the complicity  of a  liberally slanted rag media !

2. mrpopo profile image73

No, he's saying "find" from the US perspective. This is obvious because he says "30,000 emails that are missing." As you correctly ruled out, they aren't missing from Russia's perspective.

2. Alternative Prime profile image56

The word "FIND" is ALL Inclusive ~ And WHY would anyone try Desperately to DEFEND Delusional Donald's Apparent "Collusion with Communists" to "FIND" anything anyway? I watched Numbskull Rudy Guilliani trying DESPERATELY to defend Donald with little success, the ONLY thing we gained out of his interview was how much his physical appearance is beginning to RESEMBLE "Tricky Dick Nixon" with every passing day ~ sad 

Being a Republican who fights for the WEALTHY is one thing, but how about being a Patriotic, Loyal American FIRST?

Does everyone truly UNDERSTAND the DANGER in his Reckless Behavior? He's PARTNERING with Communists to Infiltrate the United STATEs of AMERICA ~ Get it Trumpeteers?? sad

Apparently Trump's ALLEGIENCE is elsewhere, NOT the United States ~

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Right YOU ARE!

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Preety Panther , You've got to get serious , THERE IS NO  HILLARY SERVER to  relocate  the Emails from ,   There are E mails of Queen  Hillary's ,  there are no 33,000  to even recover , They were deleted .

Are you losing it or what !

6. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 7 years ago

These questions are wishful thinking. They are both coated in teflon. Neither will be out of the race until the last hanging chad has been counted.

7. Oztinato profile image77
    Oztinatoposted 7 years ago

Trump crossed the line by miles years ago. He's now crapping on the "line " and scrubbing the line underfoot.

8. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 7 years ago

So, the message I'm getting from Trump defenders is that he can say anything, as long as it is "sarcasm" or "a joke" or he "doesn't really mean it"?

If that is not accurate, please set me straight?

9. profile image0

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13125104_f1024.jpg

Everyone should HAVE to check out the Clinton foundation  "pay for play " influence peddling .

10. profile image0

he entire left could use a lesson in  the entire Clinton - Putin relationship !  Google up - Canadian Uranium  for  traded cash to the Clinton Foundation !

11. IslandBites profile image90
    IslandBitesposted 7 years ago

Jun 22 2016

“Her server was easily hacked by foreign governments, perhaps even by her financial backers in Communist China, putting all of America in danger,” Trump explained. “There are the 33,000 emails she deleted. While we may not know what is in those deleted emails, our enemies probably do...
    ...so they probably now have a blackmail file over someone who wants to be President of the United States. This fact alone disqualifies her from the Presidency. We can’t hand over our government to someone whose deepest, darkest secrets may be in the hands of our enemies."
    - Donald Trump

July 05, 2016

"The FBI Director laid out today a detailed case of how Hillary Clinton compromised the safety of the American people by storing highly classified information on a private email server with no security. He confirmed that her email could easily have been hacked by hostile actors, and confirmed that those she emailed with were hacked.
    Our adversaries almost certainly have a blackmail file on Hillary Clinton, and this fact alone disqualifies her from service....
    ...On top of it all, Hillary Clinton’s lawyers wiped the servers clean to delete another 30,000 emails – hiding her corrupt dealings from investigators...
    ... and that too disqualifies Hillary Clinton from being President."
    -Donald Trump

So yeah, he wasn't joking. He's an idiot, but he knew that his comment would get him the attention he so desperate needs.

12. profile image0

The media is constantly holding  Trump to a standard that no one else has to endure , while they give the Great Queen Hillary   basically a free ride . Long before  this election cycle  the news media decided  somehow  that  it had to tell the American people HOW to think  rather be informative .
    I have decided that I will never again  buy a newspaper  or give a dime to any of their outlets for information. I wish America would truly awaken to the bias of the press and stop promoting it .

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

The press is only biased when it doesn't put your revered Donald Trump on a pedestal?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)