Upgrading hubs to the niche sites

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (24 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years ago

Many of us here are working hard to upgrade our hubs so that they can be moved to the niche sites.  I think it would be a good idea if those upgrades are viewed by the team the same way as new posts so that they can more quickly addressed.   It's a shame to let much better upgraded articles sit idle while new ones are moved.  What think you?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That mechanism already exists - if you think you've improved your Hub to the required standard, you can submit it.  But only one every 60 days, of course.

I'm sure they've put that limitation on for a reason - because they've worked out that if they don't, they'll be swamped! 

I know they are looking at new Hubs, but new Hubs need to go through QAP anyway so it's not much extra work to assess them for the niche sites.

Christy mentioned on another thread that they're still choosing Hubs using traffic as the main criteria.  So if you improve Hubs enough to get more traffic, that will move them up the queue.

2. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes that makes a lot of sense to me. We and anyone else (people not on the forums) would only be updating to make it better. And that being said, they are going to be better than most of the new hubs being published. So why not look at these just the way you would a new hub.

Time is an issue for the low man power right now, that's a point for sure, but it would make sense to look at updated hubs before trying to get to the remaining hubs that are not being updated. I'm going to guess that any hub with even a decent daily traffic has already been moved or considered as that's what's happened to my account.

The question is, how would the process work?  It would have to work the same as the current "submit every 60 days" system - if you expected editors to consider a Hub every time someone did an edit, then they would be getting Hubs in their queue every time someone fixed a typo. 

So really what you're saying is, allow us to submit any time, not just every 60 days.

The problem with that is your assumption that people understand the standards, and wouldn't waste the editors time bombarding them with Hubs that weren't improved enough.  I, for one, am still getting a handle on what's acceptable (having just had one rejected). What if I'd been able to submit five Hubs instead of just that one?  I would've wasted the editors' time.

1. lobobrandon profile image87

What I would suggest is a pretty simple system really. But before that:

Hubs that are edited automatically go to the QAP again if I'm not mistaken? If that's possible they can probably also be put into a queue for niche site consideration.

And as a few of us suggested earlier (but the team couldn't do it for various reasons) was that you can only submit a hub once one of your previously submitted hubs is approved. If you get a reject, then you wait like 10 days before you can submit again. It would prevent people from misusing the system.

This is just talk though, we all know that it's not going to happen as the team have a system in place and it would take time and resources to do it any other way. So all we can do is trust their process, they got the stats with them and I'm sure they are doing what's right for the site. They have been doing a great job all these years.

Actually, I always believed Hubs that were edited automatically go through QAP again - but apparently that's not the case.  We had a discussion about it a few months ago and we decided it wasn't true.  A Hub that's edited does get checked by the automated filters but it doesn't look as though it's seen by a real person.

I see. Interesting smile I missed out on that conversation I guess. Thanks for the update.

I was surprised too!  It took a lot of persuasion from Glenn Stok and others to persuade me it was the case, but I'm convinced now.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
              TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I didn't realize that and thought the same as lobobrandon that if they were going through QAP again, why not just add them to the batch of new hubs.  If we're going to do extra work on our articles to update them, we should at least be placed in the line with the new hubs.  His suggestion would be the easiest one to implement but, of course, would lengthen the amount of time it takes for hubs to be moved.  I don't think random submissions are a good idea, but doing it through the QAP is.  In fact, I've often thought that a hub that has been upgraded should appear once more on the feed, too.

Oh goodness no!   Can you imagine, seeing the same Hub in your feed again every time someone changed a date or added a photo?

There would have to be some mechanism to say, don't show a Hub in the feed UNLESS a lot of work has been done to it.  But that would mean a programmer needs to paid to develop that mechanism - and I can't think what measures could be used.  Would it be based on the number of words that were changed?  or added?  or the number of new photos?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
                  TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I see your point, but I wasn't referring to minor updates.  In many cases I wind up reworking an entire hub with a different title, better pix, etc.  However, it is obvious that this idea isn't a good one.  I haven't asked the team to move any of my hubs yet because they continue to take one or two every week or so from both of my sites and my views are still (amazingly) good!  So, I'll just shut up now and go back to writing lol!

By asked do you mean you are not submitting any every 60 days?  You should give them a good but also your lowest trafficked hub.

Regarding that update feature if I remember right it's possible to set a status right. If people are really interested why not set a status saying you updated XXX

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

I assumed you weren't referring to minor updates.

My question was, how would it work?  How would the system know the difference between a minor update and a major one?   

They could probably design a system which measured how many words had changed in a Hub, or how much the score had increased.  But how will the system know the difference between a Hub where you've made most of the changes, but had to save it because you had to go pick up the cat from the vet, and a Hub which is totally "renovated"?    Surely it would be a dreadful waste of moderators' time to have a system where they might be looking at Hubs you haven't finished working on.

The only way it would work, as far as I can see, is that the Hubber would have to give some kind of signal that the Hub was ready for reconsideration. Which means, basically, a system where you have to manually submit the Hub.  So we're back where we started!

2. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

I agree. There also seems to be a major delay in looking at submitted Hubs. I submitted one for this account back on Oct 12 and haven't heard anything yet.

Nothing for it but patience, I suppose. I get the sense that now that the niche sites are doing well the Team is moving more cautiously and fine-tuning the process.

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

They get some money, they party, lol. Who wouldn't?

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

I would certainly hope so.   The worst that could happen is that HubPages starts accepting Hubs from the old site too easily, and transplants the old site's problems to the new one.

3. lobobrandon profile image87

Yup, I updated one of mine and submitted it on the 21st no news yet. Happy to know there are others too.

1. AF CHIEF profile image70
        AF CHIEFposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Having just submitted my first hub for a niche site I was wondering how long it took and whether I would ever hear anything back one way or another.  Just getting feedback on why it is rejected would be a key point so as I develop new hubs I can strive for the niche standard.  Right now I'm not sure what the standard is.  I just recently began to write hubs after probably 5 years away and I received Pro Hub status so I was wondering if that meant inclusion into a niche site but I guess not. 
        Feedback is the key, once I know why my hub doesnt make the grade then it's up to me to improve my writing/presentation.

Look for a stellar hub at the learning center. You may want to Google: stellar hub hubpages.com

1. AF CHIEF profile image70
            AF CHIEFposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks

3. beth811 profile image76
    beth811posted 7 years ago

It has been several months having not visited my HubPages account and I'm quite surprised on the new changes here particularly on the niche sites. This reminds me of Triond to submit articles to its appropriate niche according to the topic. Sadly, Triond's now gone. Am not active here anymore because I'm enjoying and earning much more on my own niche website which started a year ago.

You should add your site to your profile so we can have a look!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)