Do you think it is time for a civics test for public service?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (24 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 7 years ago

In light of recent developments, in Washington DC and in our courts, and on campuses around the country... do you think we need a civics test before appointed to public office, or run for elected office or judges?
    How can someone take an oath to support and uphold and defend the Constitution when they don't even know what is in it?
    We require someone to pass a basic test when naturalize to be a US citizen.
    We require some one to take a written test and a road test to get a license to drive a car.
    Yet, there is no such test for elected and appointed officials who will write laws that govern our citizens. Where is the common sense?

In addition, there must be a price to pay for someone going against the Constitution.
    Perhaps, they should be required to take a course in American Civics...

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

A civics test should be required for anyone who wants to vote.

jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.

2. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Can't.  A disproportionate percentage of those that fail would be either black or Hispanic because they can't read.  Making it racist and unacceptable.  True, real and useful, but the racist card WOULD be flipped over.

Are you kidding using the race argument?
          People should not be so illiterate in the first place.
          It is a failing of our public education system.
          It someone can't read or write, I don't care what race, why is that person voting?
          What would he be voting for?
          It is the same poor logic that Voter Id is discriminatory...
          If a person don't have an ID, he or she has no business voting...

Our survival as a free republic depends on an educated populace...

1. wilderness profile image96

You're getting the idea - voter ID is also racist because blacks and hispanics can't get to the office to get an ID.  It's the liberal way, and it works pretty well to maintain their voter registration rolls.

If they can apply for food stamps and welfare, they can certainly apply for an ID.
              What do you prefer, a dumb, uneducated populace who will vote Democratic? 90%
              You are insulting their intelligence my friend...

2. GA Anderson profile image89
            GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hello jackclee, casting a pretty wide net aren't you?

"...It someone can't read or write, I don't care what race, why is that person voting?"

What about blind folks that can't do Braile? And wouldn't he be voting for the same things us literate folks vote for?

GA

2. Credence2 profile image77
          Credence2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is an assessment that is obviously free of bias???

3. Credence2 profile image77

I have seen that you are the voice of sanity among the crazy Right, until now......

Dixie used literacy tests to cheat people out of their right to vote. How little you people learn that the franchise is a RIGHT for every American citizen, not a privilege. So, if you are US citizen registered in your state and you are over the age of 18, you get to vote and there is no test involved. How can you decline to the level of the right wing voices in this crowd? I expected better from you.

It is Thomas Jefferson who wrote an informed public is a prerequisite to Democracy -
          http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/jefferson/60.html

1. Credence2 profile image77

And the so called unwashed are to be disenfranchised because they don't toe your line as to what is to be an informe citizen? I am always appalled by the arrogance of a strident Right, completely out of control. I told you about literacy tests that were once used to disenfranchise, subsequently determined to be illegal by the courts. No comment? Are the sorts of people who advocate these kinds of  things are as fascist in their orientation as Twitler, their fearless leader.

NEVER, that is a non starter and we will drag Trump down from the Oval Office over this.

Credence,
              What is it that you object to?
              What makes an informed electorate?
              Should all votes count equally?

I am not suggesting Trump or any administration go down this path...
              I merely posed the question given the lack of knowledge of even some judges...
              What is the point of being a citizen of this country with all its benefits and priviledges...
              If any tom dick or harry could show up at the voting booth without an ID and may not speak our language and caste a ballot?
              Does not concern you? Why even have elections?
              You ssem to have all the answers...
              Right wing nuts ruin the country while left progressives are caring and compassionate...
              So much so... they are perfectly happy to continue the welfare state.

This is your topic, Jack, what are you implying?

I am only interested in this ID thing only to the point, so there is no requirement to speak English to be a citizen, right?

Everybody knows that this voter ID controversial is a right wing plot to disenfranchise even more, particularely those that generally vote Democratic. Don't get me started on the details of this.

But I don't seem to have as many answers as you do!!

The right and its strident rhetoric is a threat to Democracy, itself. I would prefer the welfare state, if I had to make such a choice.

"everybody know?" Who is everybody?

Not me and not my conservative colleagues... which by the way makes up 38% of the population...

'Not me and not my conservative colleagues... which by the way makes up 38% of the population'

Thatis why the lie continues to have a life of its own...

Trump has taken an oath to protect and defend the United States and he is hardly a Constitutional scholar, in fact he is the least qualified person for this job since Dwight Eisenhower. But, at least Eisenhower was a war hero and had a track record of leadership instead of a certain person, draft dodging by hiding behind his money. Yes, yellow, through and through.

As for testing public servants, if we can't test the President what grounds are there to test anyone else aspiring to elective office?

2. wilderness profile image96

"so there is no requirement to speak English to be a citizen, right?"

I could be mistaken, but the last time I checked the citizenship test was given only in English.  Command of the language is necessary.

2. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

(a prequall), Hello Jackclee, your appeal for logic and common sense in regards to our elected and appointed officials should be the standard for all discussions. But a few 'understandings' would have to be met first.

On the logic side, how would your "civics test" have any different purpose than that of the Poll Taxes; both designed to exclude someone based on unproven perceptions?

In the common-sense column there would be some obvious questions; who would certify the answers to the civics test; understanding the legislative and judicial history of our nation addressing just such issues? And whose version of common-sense would be the standard? The uninformed common-sense that says to run away from a charging Grizzly, or the informed common-sense that tells you to stand your ground, (or back away slowly)?

Without intending to be sarcastic; wouldn't an "Idiot" test for voters be a prerequisite for a civic test for office holders?

GA

2. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 7 years ago

Here is a shocking story...
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/colle … le/2612243

You have to wonder what those school officials are afraid of?

1. profile image0

I was ready to agree with you that what the college did was wrong. But then I noticed this paragraph:

"The charges were soon dropped, but KCC's message was clear: Free speech is not welcome on campus, especially if you're conservative."

Real journalists and objective readers will immediately realize that this article is biased, violates basic standards of journalism and does not have credibility.

So I will reserve judgment after all until I see an article about the same incident from a credible news source. If it has the same facts without bias, then I will agree with you.

There are other stories like it -
        https://www.thefire.org/cases/modesto-j … ution-day/

This is a CA State college which your and my taxes help pay for.
        It is a travesty of justice.

You wonder why our students don't know anything...

1. profile image0

That one is better. I don't see any bias in it. The college got sued, lost and paid a penalty.

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
            Kathleen Cochranposted 7 years agoin reply to this

promisem:  YES! on your first comment.  It is up to us, the voters, to make good judgments.  If we didn't this time, we only have ourselves to blame.

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

I think its time for civics tests for voter -vetting !      If you can't pass a basic history test of U.S. history  , you can't vote .   Simple .   Why is America  dumbing down incredibly ,to begin with ------Other than a failed and increasingly failing education system   ?

Even those on the extreme  left have to be in shock of how politically naïve our youth are .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)