Spanish Lessons

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Mrs. Moneypants profile image61
    Mrs. Moneypantsposted 14 years ago

What are the best CDs to learn Spanish.  I am trying Michel Thomas and I am thinking of trying Rosetta Stone.  Has anyone found success with a particular product?

1. Indigitamenta profile image59
      Indigitamentaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You get better results if you pick a product and stick to it until you've completed it. Michel Thomas is good enough.

Mrs. Moneypantsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are probably right.  Spanish is such a tough slog for me that i really want to start with the best product.

2. blue dog profile image60
      blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it may not be possible for you, but if it were, i highly recommend a 2-4 week class in a spanish-speaking country.  immersion is the best possible teacher.

1. marieryan profile image73
        marieryanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

definitely, immersion is the most effective, fastest way to learn any language. Just written a hub on learning Spanish!
        ¡Buena suerte!

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
        LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Best thing to do.....immerse!!! smile

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image70

If you can get a copy definitely choose Rosetta Stone....and, watch a lot of telemundo (if you are in the US) the grammar isn't always correct, but you will begin to automatically tune your ear to the language....

Remeber, there is only one way to truly learn a language and that is the language experience.....listening, body language association and repitition.......just like you learned your native language... big_smile

4. profile image50
      chemayaneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Has anyone tried TELL ME MORE. They have a great program for Spanish. that is the one I am currently using. There customer service is great and the language training is excellent. I found them reading Rosetta reviews and I found that they were cheaper and ranked number in language training

2. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Pimsleur Spanish. Look it up on btjunkie.com or the likes:)

Thanks Izzy.  I'll check it out.

3. meteetse profile image61
    meteetseposted 14 years ago

Always wanted to learn Spanish

4. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

Speak with this guy, he has a very effective course on download which you can easily follow, and he is not expensive or invasive, i.e. he seems to give away a whole heap of stuff!

Marcus Santamaria
    PMB 680, 482 W.San Ysidro Blvd, San Ysidro CA 92173
    Phone (619) 591-8770

Thanks for the info.  I really love the help I can find on hubpages.

1. profile image0
        gordonaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marcus Santamaria created a product called Synergy Spanish. It is available for purchase online. But Synergy Spanish is tailored for absolute beginners only.

By the way, Synergy spanish receive great reviews by the netizens.

5. motricio profile image68
    motricioposted 14 years ago

Lo mejor es compartir una amistad con alguien del idioma nativo, expresiones y sonidos naturales.
    La fluidez del idioma se da en el dialogo. Después de todo será otro medio de expresión y comunicación.
    :lool:

1. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Para mí, es muy difícil comunicarse en otro idioma.

I earn my living translating medical literature out of several languages. I am good at it. My clients keep coming back and I have to refuse more work than I am able to accept. However, when it comes to using languages actively, I am useless.

Of the languages I work with, my favourite is Spanish. I would love to be able to speak and write it fluently.

1. LeslieAdrienne profile image70

WriteAngled

Perhaps you think too much about it.....switch from the left brain to the right brain hemisphere, close your eyes and just let it  flow.... big_smile, big_smile

Ole'

2. LeslieAdrienne profile image70

motricio

Si, pero, la gente es a menudo tímida y tímida, asustado incurrir en una equivocación, si verdad....

6. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

When I had a boyfriend from Colombia, I was almost fluent in Spanish. That was years ago, however, and I've forgotten much of it.

7. LRobbins profile image46
    LRobbinsposted 14 years ago

You can learn Spanish for free at http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/ but I agree immersion is the best way to learn any language.

8. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

I took spanish in Jr. hi. and two years in high school, one year college, but didn't understand anybody for about two months when I moved to mexico.  It was about four months I began understanding most and at about six months felt like I was speaking about 6th grade spanish so far as vocabulary and grammer goes.

1. TLMinut profile image60
      TLMinutposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what I did too and also the same is the experience in Mexico! Didn't catch a word. But my teacher in school was Puerto Rican and in the military I made a couple of Puerto Rican friends and didn't have nearly the trouble.

A friend of mine has also suggested Rosetta Stone for immersion learning. I'm not sure though, immersion without the daily experience of living? It's said we learn like that as babies, fine, our minds don't work quite that way anymore. Still, learning German was easier for me once I actually lived in Germany and spent my days using the language.

I found something online for my son when he started learning Spanish, way above him as yet but I enjoyed it: Mi Vida Loca This is a mystery series in Spanish with lots of lessons and help.

9. mcbean profile image66
    mcbeanposted 14 years ago

Travelling alone in a spanish speaking country is by far the fastest way. That is true immersion. Doing an immersion course with a friend who speaks english defeats the purpose as you get way too lazy and 'cheat' all the time.

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bit like me then. I've been living with my Spanish boyfriend for 5 years and he doesn't speak English! We listen to Spanish radio and television all the time, and I guess I've picked up enough of the language to get by, but I've just started a beginner's spanish course in the local village because I do not know the grammar and it's high time I learned.
      I can't really read or write it either, just speak it, sort of.

10. Melissa Rowlings profile image40
    Melissa Rowlingsposted 7 years ago

The best book to learn Spanish is -A Good Spanish Book!- It's the one I am using and I always recommend it to all my friends.

11. VirginiaLynne profile image91
    VirginiaLynneposted 7 years ago

I've learned several languages and most recently been learning Mandarin.  I used the Pimsleur 1-3 course along with a number of free podcasts.  My husband did other methods.  When we went to China, I found that although my vocabulary was limited (Pimsleur teaches you just a few things very, very well), people could understand me clearly and usually commented that I spoke very well, which is much more difficult in Mandarin because of the tones.  If you can't do an immersion program, I think Pimsleur is an excellent start.  You can always learn more grammar and vocabulary but after Pimsleur, you will have a number of phrases that you can say as immediately as you could in your native language.  That gives a reluctant foreign language speaker (like me!) a place to start and feel comfortable.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)