Yikes! 50% Drop in Earnings.

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (46 posts)
  1. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 6 years ago

Is it just me or has anyone else had a significant decrease in earnings this month?  Every hub is featured.  Traffic actually increased.  Any thoughts anyone?

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

My income has risen, just as my traffic has risen, this month.

Is this a seasonal thing for your pages? Outdoor orientated pages seem to be doing very well for me at the moment. If you are focused on indoor stuff, ad values might have fallen.

vocalcoachposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No, not seasonal at all.  My earnings have been consistent.  Thanks.

Your earnings are consistent.

Your earnings have fallen by 50 percent this month.

I am confused.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If traffic increased but earnings fell, it has to be related to what advertisers are paying. Not much we can do about that, unfortunately.

I thought about this.  Thanks Marisa.  You always give such helpful answers.

3. aerospacefan profile image83
      aerospacefanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Mobile ads pay far less than desktop ads. I'm wondering if this could be part of the equation? Just thinking out loud.

Also, some ads pay more than others. It's possible the ad type showing pays less.

A 50% is a lot for sure.

Yes, this has never happened before.  Just not sure whether it's on my end or HP.

4. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You might want to compare May of 2017 with May of 2016 to see if the performance is similar.

It might also just be an anomaly. If June is better, maybe it's just a one-time problem.

I took a look at last years earnings as you suggested.  Yes,  did much better at this time last year.  Thanks a lot.

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

When  I realized CPMs were dropping, I switched to  Adsense and have had very good results.  My views increased over 48,000 for may, as compared to last year.  In fact, this May was the second highest month for earnings I've ever had!

Why not try switching to Adsense to see if that helps. You can always switch back if that doesn't work.

1. easylearningweb profile image84
        easylearningwebposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hey Timetraveler, can you explain what you mean about switching to Adsense? I have Adsense account linked to my blog as well as HubPages, but is there a setting you turned off possibly HubPages Ads vs using something different for Adsense? Something in our earnings settings?

Thanks!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

When  you write for HP you can choose to be paid using the HP ad program in combination with Adsense or you can turn off the HP ad program and just use the Adsense.  The Adsense that HP uses pays more than one you have on a blog.

When I saw that cpms had dropped a month or so back, I went into my earnings settings and turned off the HP payment program.  My results so far have been quite good, although there's no real way to compare because once you turn the HP program off, you no longer know what your CPMS might be for any given day.

They pay differently, and I can't explain how Adsense pays, but I know it does not pay via page views.  It uses some sort of complex program that works well for some writers and not for others depending on, I guess, topic.

Anyhow, you can switch at will, so it may be a good idea to give it a try for a week and see how things go.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

Last month was the pits for me but there's definitely been improvement thus far in May.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I did much better in May than in April too.

Nice to know I'm not alone.  Thanks.

2. vocalcoach profile image94

Happy to hear this.  Keep it up!

3. poppyr profile image92
    poppyrposted 6 years ago

Same, in May my earnings increased by about 40%.

I guess we'll never figure it out smile  Thanks.

2. Suzanne Day profile image93
      Suzanne Dayposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree, May was a super stellar month. Whatever HP is doing, is working for me. Might even write something new on here again one day wink

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Please do.  I have missed you!

4. iwrite100 profile image77
    iwrite100posted 6 years ago

There are more sellers? or people are spending their money on vacation and not online items?  Just guessing

Could be.  I'm puzzled.  Thanks.

Me too.  smile  Thanks.

These are both good guesses and thanks!

5. neenasatine profile image59
    neenasatineposted 6 years ago

Hi. Did you ask the staff about it? It may be about advertisers' rates if the traffic has always been consistent.

6. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

I had a good may also. I made some sales which adds up. I find my views and sales are cyclical.

1. aerospacefan profile image83
      aerospacefanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Stacie,
      Are your hubs that are getting the traffic mostly on the niches?

7. faithinyou profile image36
    faithinyouposted 6 years ago

Me new in hubpages.com. Let's see How my journey would be

8. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 6 years ago

I've just downloaded the money stats for May.

Now while I'm not active on Hubpages in terms of updating etc or pushing hubs across to the new niche sites (not impressed with the one for my niche) income had been ticking along while I continue with the mammoth job of switching content or deleting it or waiting for HubPages to get their act together on art history!

However recently the AdSense all but dried up. So much so that halfway through the month I switched out of the HubPages Ad Program and over to Google AdSense for all adverts.

Having got the stats for both now - one half of the month HubPages and the other half Google AdSense the net result is
    * pitiful AdSense income for HubPages continues
    * HOWEVER the big bonus is I like the adverts on my hubs a lot more now. (That's because I've got a lot of topics blocked in AdSense - I don't care if they pay big bucks they're not appearing on my sites!)
    * PLUS I was minded to try putting Google AdSense on one of my other sites (the #2 art business info site which gets respectable traffic) and income is now taking off on that. I've got just one landscape image ad at the bottom of the page next to the navigation cues for more info (ie not in your face - but there in case it may be of interest i.e. not objectionable).

Thanks so much!

9. easylearningweb profile image84
    easylearningwebposted 6 years ago

I have noticed it too. May was low but other months were higher in past.

I find this a bit dis-heartening.  Still, I know earnings will pick up at some point.  Thanks.

10. Jesse Drzal profile image90
    Jesse Drzalposted 6 years ago

Traffic fluctuations are normal. It's recommended to maintain an even keel demeanor.

That's it. Ad values for winter-related products/activities will certainly rise in a few months time and so will traffic.

For me, and everyone else, with pages on Dengarden this is a good time of year.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image90
        Jesse Drzalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Definitely. CPM's  will be rising for the rest of the year.

Will do and thanks!

11. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 6 years ago

Similar here. My views have been great, but monthly income down 50% for around four months. Back to normal in may, but only thanks to an Amazon sale.

Sorry to hear this, John.  This is the first time in 7 years this has occurred.  Just came as a bit of a surprise.   I,m sure my next payment will make me smile.

12. Jesse Drzal profile image90
    Jesse Drzalposted 6 years ago

What's nice for your summer/fall seasonal articles is that you at least get the elevated CPM's when people are viewing..as opposed to the early quarter rates which are lower. Got to look on the positive side of things sometimes.

13. Janellegems profile image60
    Janellegemsposted 6 years ago

My earnings also went down. It's very discouraging.

I'm tweaking older hubs, making titles more user friendly and updating with new info.  This just might help.

14. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 6 years ago

I'm always curious to learn what people would be satisfied with earning every month from hubpages (realistically). I know I'm happy earning a couple extra hundred per month from passive income but how about everyone else.

1. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If I got anywhere near that much I would be happy Chris. I don't make that much in a year.

1. Chriswillman90 profile image91
        Chriswillman90posted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's a shame given your writing repertoire, you deserve millions of views as each written piece knocks it out of the park.

1. Jodah profile image92
          Jodahposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Chris. Much appreciated, just tell that to everyone else..haha.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)