I'd like feedback on my article: I did not Run for a Coffin

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Jewel Mervin profile image60
    Jewel Mervinposted 6 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my article I did not Run for a Coffin (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. AliciaC profile image92
      AliciaCposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I may be wrong, but based on the clues in the photo and your story, I think you're trying to write creative fiction about a real-life situation in the Philippines. Your story could be effective, but if people don't understand what it means no one will appreciate your message.

I think you need to change the title of your hub to make it obvious that it belongs in the Politics and Social Issues category instead of the Creative Writing one (or change the category of the hub). I also think that you need to write an introduction describing the real-life situation in order to set the scene for your story. There are some English errors that should be corrected, too.

2. yogaburnclub profile image80
      yogaburnclubposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi out there
      Thanks for showing interest in to write on Hubpages this is a world class hub that offers informative,well-researched articles that have not been published elsewhere.For your case, you need to read more on the guidelines and procedure for delivering a world class article.

Ensure that it easily understandable from the title to the body and conclusion. Make sure you also use images, photos that you have rights to use, videos and polls that will give more illustrations to the articles

Consider visiting the help section on Hubpages where you will get more information on what is expected of you.

All the best

1. theraggededge profile image95
        theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's fine as it is. It does not require more images, videos and polls. It's a piece of creative writing.

@Jewel, you know you need to go back in and edit it, don't you?

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yogaburn, that would all be good advice IF the OP had written a factual article, or an opinion piece.  However, this is creative writing.  None of that advice applies.

2. Rupert Taylor profile image94
    Rupert Taylorposted 6 years ago

HubPages is looking for well-researched, informative, magazine-style articles written in very high quality English. This piece fits none of those qualities. I'm not sure what it's about; it doesn't make any sense to me.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

^^ What Rupert sez. WTF was the point of that? Total gibberish.

4. profile image0
    pen promulgatesposted 6 years ago

Hey Jewel,
    You have jumbled between poetry and a short story. Sadly, it doesn't sound as you intended.
    No doubt that the article is full of errors. The message is unclear furthermore.
    You have switched between tenses unnecessarily.
    Please work on the highlighted issues. You will be able to write better then smile

5. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

I think this is an amazing, moving piece of writing. You made me feel what that teenager was feeling. Was it someone you knew?

You should probably move it into the creative writing category.

Yes it needs a little work, and I would be really happy to help you out with it. Just let me know.

6. chasmac profile image89
    chasmacposted 6 years ago

I agree with theraggededge. This is an excellent piece of story-telling that just needs a bit of cosmetic surgery language-wise. I understood it completely, and yes it is very moving - and pretty shocking, too, to know that situation can and does occur in the Philippines. Of course, everyone knows about the drug-dealer killings there - it's world-wide news, but you have added the very human element of a young innocent teenager being killed by police who didn't actually care whether someone was a drug dealer or not - it's just a way to make them look like they're doing a good job and following their leaders advice of "If I can do it, so can you" (a statement he made while he was mayor and repeated recently in a televised press conference). Telling a kid to run home and then shooting him while he runs gives them the perfect excuse to say "We detained him but he ran (proving his guilt) so we shot him."

It should be in the creative writing category and deserves to be published, so please accept theraggededge's kind offer of help and make use of her excellent English skills.

7. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

The ONLY problem with this Hub is that you've put it in the wrong category.

It's Creative Writing.  Put it in that category and it will pass the QAP at once.

8. chasmac profile image89
    chasmacposted 6 years ago

@ Marisa - Do you mean that if it's in creative writing, it won't require the same high standard of English that other categories require? That would make sense, I guess, but it does have a few awkward sentences that could do with fixing, such as "Ofcourse I’m aware with the war on drugs. I'm aware and I know you are".

The first of those two sentences is a bit of a mess but easily fixed. The second is superb; it brings the reader uncomfortably close to the reality of the situation and would have even more impact if the preceding sentence was fixed. I really want to see this Hub published.

The title is not search friendly, of course, so Google won't be sending much traffic, but it's a terrific title. If I had come up with that title, I would be happy to tell Google to #@*& off.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

9. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

Okay, I've tidied up just a tiny bit. Changed tense where necessary, edited out some 'that's. But really, apart from those little things, it doesn't need changing at all.

It really is a very good piece of writing, Jewel. You are very talented.

Edit: I notice you have Contact enabled, so I have sent it to you via email. Good luck.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)