Why is help so difficult and slow to reach Purto Rico?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (98 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 6 years ago

After a major hurricane hit Purto Rico dead on, why is it so difficult to get them help? Food, water, and basic necessities...? We are only a few hundred miles away. There are ships and air transports and all kinds of relief efforts by private charities and our US military. There are many cruise ships...
    Why, why, why?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I assume any docks are gone - where will you dock the ship?  Airports are virtually unusable - where will you land a plane? An aircraft carrier could perhaps power the whole country, but there is no distribution system and won't be for many months or even years.

When you arrive with loads of food, water, etc., how will you distribute it?  Roads are unusable yet, and even animal transportation isn't to be found.  If you could get trucks in, there doesn't seem to be a working gas pump in the land - they could only go 1/2 their range.

It sounds really simple - get help - to get it to where it is needed isn't.

2. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

According to this report,  "Puerto Rico officials are praising the proactive response by President Donald Trump and the federal government to the catastrophic damage wrought by Hurricane Maria."

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/09 … ane-maria/

That's my President!  Thank God.

3. colorfulone profile image78

Evidently a woman Puerto Rican police officer called a radio station and blew the whistle on the San Juan Mayor.  I saw this video yesterday.  Just awhile ago Tiffany Trump posted this link on social media, and I don't believe she would have unless she was already sure it was solid.
      http://dunbiased.com/3999/puerto-rican- … uan-mayor/

Its got a lot of people stirred up, and I would imagine some scared if indeed it is true.

1. colorfulone profile image78

"For those who don't let the truth get in the way of a good story here's the actual timeline of massive federal response in Puerto Rico->"
        ~  Sarah Sanders
        https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/914 … e-tweet%2F

The liberal media doesn't want you to see this!

4. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Because the residents there are not white.

jackclee lmposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Wrong, the same charges were leveled at GW Bush during Katrina...

The problem in both cases was mainly infrastructure failure. When the whole city was flooded after Katrina, very little can be done. The same with Puerto Rico with Maria. The roads and docks and power were all knocked out...it will take time to recover.

1. profile image0

Your claims are wrong. The docks and roads were not all knocked out. I've seen many videos of people driving on them. There is power in the form of generators. There are trucks and drivers we can send.

In the meantime, he is busy attacking the mostly black NFL. His words and actions are consistently pro white and anti black, Hispanic and non-Christian religions.

Your TDS is getting old and tired...there is no racial element here, just mother nature doing its thing.

1. profile image0

Here you go again, Jack. Please address the facts without going to the Breitbart version of things. You need to read what people in Puerto Rico are saying.

2. SABoardman profile image61
              SABoardmanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Jack I have read several comments on subjects of Trump. <personal attack snipped> I KNOW first hand the status of Puerto Rico and their fate as I lived and worked there for several years for the US Government. <personal attack snipped> The fact is Trump doesn't give a crap about people that aren't in his circle of friends and they are NOT in his circle of friends. The man is a complete moron and the only breaking as you would say "FAKE NEWS" I want to hear is that he is removed from office and I don't care how, either a massive heart attack or in a straight jacket. <personal attack snipped>

2. wilderness profile image96

"His words and actions are consistently pro white and anti black, Hispanic and non-Christian religions."

And you're picking this up because what?  Because the NFL is doing something wrong and is mostly black?  Because Illegal aliens are doing wrong and they're mostly Hispanic?  Because terrorists are doing wrong and most are Islamic?  Curious how it changes from condemning people misbehaving to attacking color, race and religion

Recognizing bad behavior isn't racist or anti-Christian but giving a free pass to misbehave based on color, ethnicity or religion is.

You are looking at this through colored glasses. Not everything is about race. For you to expliot anatural tragedy like this is shameful.
              There are zero evidence that the Trumps or the White house has done anything based on race.

1. profile image0

Your accusation is ridiculous. For you to support a racist and mentally unstable president is more shameful than anything I have said here.

Not quite...claiming mental illness (or being "mentally unstable") without any credentials, training or even a good examination of the person is far more ridiculous than supporting actions from someone you make unsupportable claims about.

1. profile image0

By your logic as a former electrician, I am not qualified to change a light bulb.

2. profile image0

I know you love to argue for the sake of arguing. You have made it clear that you will support Trump no matter what he says or does. I won't waste my time.

It is not clear by any stretch of the immagination. I am not a Trump supporter id you follow my posts on HubPages for the past few years. I am speaking my mind about the TDS that has gone insane. This man may be many things but he is the President of the US and deserves respect and false charges are to be called out. I am consistent in my criticism. I have criticized him when his policies are contrary to my beliefs. I will defend him when your charge of racism is without merit.

1. profile image0

Yes, you are a Trump supporter despite denying it. You consistently defend him against any criticism and rarely show only weak criticism of his most irresponsible behavior.

Meanwhile, 60% of the country thinks he is unfit to be President because of his behavior.

Yes, because lies and fake news. The credibility of media is in the toilet. Do you deny it? Many who disagree with Trump are being misslead by a biased media. If they know the truth about the new tax proposal, they should be jumping up and down instead, the media and the Democrats called it a tax break for the rich...same old playbook. So, do you like the current tax system? Do you think it is fair? Do you pay any taxes? Do you want to pay more taxes to fund a corrupt government?

Odd how calling out a ridiculous statement based on hatred turns into supporting someone else.  And on how a reply consists of nothing but irrelevant claims without ever addressing the point or comment.

1. profile image0

Statements are ridiculous to people who don't want to believe them, especially political extremists.

3. jackclee lm profile image81

+++

5. RJ Schwartz profile image87
      RJ Schwartzposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Because even if there are ships and supplies on the coast, they cant move them inland due to shortages on trucks, drivers, and cleared roads.  A report over the weekend said only 1 in 5 drivers were available.

colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

Last I heard from Franklin Graham, Samaritan's Purse flew their cargo plane from Alaska to PR with one load. They will continue returning using a small cleared out runway that is gravel. SP will keep returning with more cargo loads of supplies as needed.

They do this in Jesus name.

https://www.samaritanspurse.org/article … f-efforts/

I heard a couple of government officials were flying to Puerto Rico to assess the damages. I have not read the official report yet.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

I see on the news that C130's are beginning to fly, loaded with necessities.  Good to see - there appear to be a lot of them, and they'll be making continual round trips.

4. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

Puerto Rico is a colonial acronyism like the Electoral College. Too bad it isn't state a that can get automatic Federal relief and representation in Congress. Then the right-wing nut jobbers would have to admit a second official language: Spanish.

President Donald Trump has pledged federal help for Puerto Rico
    That's freakin great - awesome, at the same time -
    Trump's tweets focus on Puerto Rico's debt during Island's recovery.

So it's just an empty gesture, window dressing, empty promise, false hope, lip service from 'Ol Bone Spurs yet once again, just like the personal 1 million donation to Harvey that never came true.

Sad. Sad for all those victims.

Trump had not tweeted about Puerto Rico since last Thursday.
    ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS SO FCK"D UP!!!!

Trump administration said Monday it would not waive federal restrictions on foreign ships' transportation of cargo as it had following Harvey and Irma. The administration said it will continue to enforce the Jones Act, which requires that goods transported between U.S. ports be carried on U.S.-flagged ships.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiittttttttttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trump couldn't care less about PR.  He wouldn't bother to piss on them if it caught on fire.

Your rants are not very becoming.
      Purto Rico was given every opportunity in the past to vote and become a State and they chose to not go that path.
      Now they need help and we are providing that help as best can be done with our military...and private charities.
      For you to politicize this tragedy just goes to show your bias and hate and nothing else...

The Republicans are not at fault here just as Democrats under Obama are not at fault with past natural disasters...
      I fault Congress overall for inactions on healthcare reform and tax reform and a slew of other problems that they seem to not want solutions...
      They need to be voted out next time around. We need people who have answers and not excuses.

1. ptosis profile image66
        ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Jack, you are so - ill informed - PR voted to become a state. And what that has to do with  not suspending the Jones Act?  It obvious that Trump couldn't care less. Really. Suspend the Jones Act at least.  That's not so hard is it?

""Department of Homeland Security (DHS) declined the request to waive the Jones Act, which limits shipping between coasts to U.S.-flagged vessels, according to Reuters. DHS waived the act following hurricanes Harvey and Irma, which hit the mainland U.S." - http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat … ico-relief

Defend the decision, I like to see you try.

"It is unacceptable to force the people of Puerto Rico to pay at least twice as much for food, clean drinking water, supplies and infrastructure due to Jones Act requirements as they work to recover from this disaster," McCain wrote.

I didn't know much about the Jones Act and did a little research and learned about it. I will not defend the Trump administration on this. I do believe it should be suspended or repealed as a law. The reason for this law has long disappeared. Like many of our laws, once created, it becomes very hard to get rid of. I call it as I see it...

Does he have the legal right to suspend or repeal this law?  Or can only congress repeal it?

Question answered - Trump has suspended the Jones act for Puerto Rico.  Although I'm not sure it will do any good - seems the problem isn't getting stuff to the island, it's getting it to the interior where the people are.

1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
                RJ Schwartzposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Congress under the Obama Administration actually strengthened the Jones Act (December 2014) - the protectionism given to the US shipping industry was cited as a national security issue at the time.

And so it is; we need a strong and vibrant merchant marine.  Which does leave the question of the legality of suspending it kind of in the air, no matter how much we'd like to see it done temporarily.

2. ptosis profile image66

I didn't know about the Jones Act until I lived on 'Oahu.  Very expensive. In Honolulu it was $5/gallon milk - and that the stuff that was on sale. Normal price: $7 - $10!

I just see why suspended Jones act for TX and FL but not PR, appears to be biased against islanders.
            Mainlander bias could be the reason, but I feel it's more about PR's are Spanish speaking and 'Ol Bone Spurs doesn't want to upset his racist fanatic base.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter … a-puerto-/

You don’t put debt above people. You put people above debt," Yulin Cruz said on CNN. "There is a human moral imperative to deal with that situation first."

Trump is scheduled to visit Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Oct. 3.

Although I'm not very familiar with the Jones act, it seems to me to be mostly about requiring US ships when goods are transported within the US.

Given that we have farmed out millions of jobs in the quest for cheap prices, and that that is most definitely negatively affecting our people and economy, perhaps the act was a wise one - keeping Americans employed rather than giving the money to foreign labor and interests.

Putting debt above people - while it is a fine liberal philosophy, somehow it escapes those geniuses that ever increasing debt loads does as much or more damage to people that it helps.  It's just that the pain is in the future instead of now, and that's all they seem to care about.

You probably have never lived on an island within the US.

Denying American businesses access to the best shipping, the act has imposed large losses on American consumers. Recent developments in the world economy, including globalization of ownership, offshore outsourcing of ship components, and extensive use of flags of convenience, have made the act even more burdensome.

We used to pay just over $4,000 to ship a 40-foot freezer container to Dubai,” says Novak, who says exports made up about 70 percent of his sales. “In a matter of three years, shipping the same container now costs $11,500. How do you tell your customer on the other side that your shipping costs have almost tripled? It wiped us out.”

Novak believes businesses have difficulty surviving in Hawaii largely due to the high shipping costs. For that, he blames The Jones Act, also known as The Merchant Marine Act of 1920. - http://www.hawaiibusiness.com/keeping-u … jones-act/

It's one of the reasons why PR is so poor is because of the Jones Act. And certain folks blame PR itself for being poor and still a colony. Incredible ignorance that some people think they need a visa to go to PR or HI.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13720114.jpg

Puerto Rico was is dire financial state before this latest hurricane...
                  "In early 2017, the Puerto Rican government-debt crisis posed serious problems for the government. The outstanding bond debt had climbed to $70 billion at a time with 12.4% unemployment. The debt had been increasing during a decade long recession.[27] This was the second major financial crisis to affect the island after the Great Depression when the U.S. government, in 1935, provided relief efforts through the Puerto Rico Reconstruction Administration.[28] On May 3, 2017, Puerto Rico's financial oversight board in the U.S. District Court for Puerto Rico filed the debt restructuring petition which was made under Title III of PROMESA.[29] By early August 2017, the debt was $72 billion with a 45% poverty rate."

They had every opportunity to vote and become a State and the people chose not to...
                  The problem afflicting Puerto Rico is similar to most major US cities...with the liberal policies that bankrupt the city government...

1. GA Anderson profile image89
                    GA Andersonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi there jackclee, regarding Puerto Ricans voting to become a state...
                    "They had every opportunity to vote and become a State and the people chose not to...

I think you will find that they did vote to become a state. I am going from recent recall, but I think the last statehood referendum was in 2011 or 2012, and a majority of Puerto Rican voters did vote to join the U.S.

It was our Congress that failed to act on the referendum. (I think)

Anyway, you better check for yourself, I didn't Google to confirm my recollection.

ps. Since it seems obvious you did Google something to come up with those debt stats - I am surprised you didn't check into that statehood issue too.

GA

I'm not sure of your point.  Are you saying that we should encourage foreign countries/citizens to supply all of our needs, because it's cheaper (in the short term) than Americans working to do it?  That it's better to support foreign economies than our own?  That we can just give tax money to those out of work because it all went overseas?  That job loss doesn't affect American workers?

What are you trying to say here?

5. colorfulone profile image78

President Trump is going to Puerto Rico on Tuesday.  He is in a press conference with President Rajoy of Spain at the moment.

6. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

BTW, 'Jackie',the only one who is awkward are those who have little knowledge but big opinions.

7. IslandBites profile image88
    IslandBitesposted 6 years ago

So, a week after the hurricane...

At last, there is cellphone/internet signal in some spots (unstable). There were no tv no internet no phones, not even radio stations. Nobody knew if their family and friends were safe. There is still people that dont know.

Everything is brown, broken, down.

After a week we have no power, no food no water no money (no atm or banks open), no fuel. The few supermarkets working are almost empty and they're open for a few hours a day. And they only accept cash. There's a gov curfew from 6pm to 6am.

Help is coming (there are thousands of shipment containers with food and medicine stuck in the docks) but no way to distribute it.

Lines to buy food or fuel are hours long. My husband spent 10 hours in the sun to buy just $10 worth of fuel.

Just help if you can, even by keep Puerto Rico and the Caribbean a part of the national conversation.

Cant think straight so excuse my english.

8. colorfulone profile image78

The Trump administration waived the century-old shipping law to improve the flow of aid into Puerto Rico in the wake of Hurricane Maria. The waiver of the Jones Act was effective immediately.

9. colorfulone profile image78

I was listening to Gary Heavin talking yesterday, he was asked by Jared Kushner to help out with his fleet of small cargo planes to get supplies inland on Puerto Rico. Gary was happy to help, but soon found out that because of US bureaucracy, FEMA is not able to turn over life saving supplies to Gary to distribute using small landing stripes on the island.

The same problem with bureaucracy happened in Haiti after the horrible hurricane. Gary ended using a million dollars of his own money to buy and distribute needed supplies.  The problem was never fixed then.

Supplies in PR have been bottle necked at ports without the much needed man power and ability to distribute them fast enough.  Residence of PR are busy trying to piece their lives together, and need to tend to their own families.  But, I heard the US is sending more man power and vehicles to distribute supplies.   

Heartbreaking:  I just listened to the governor of Puerto Rico saying that supplies are not getting to people who need it fast enough because of government bureaucracy.  She is begging that the Trump Administration do something about the problem, because people are going to die without the food and water they need. 

I think we all have run up against bureaucracy, but this is at a level that I can not describe.  Bureaucracy is how the government gets in the way of government.  That is a real problem.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This I can agree with.  It is not fair to personally blame Trump for the failures in Puerto Rico.  Government red tape is the problem 

His taking everything personally and attacking the people and the mayor of Puerto Rico, however; that is on him.

Trump attacked the governor of Puerto Rico?  I can hardly believe that, I haven't heard anything like that. I have heard nothing but praise for the governor from Trump, she is giving 110% and so is his, but their hands are tied.  The governor has had nothing but praise for the President. 

Bureaucracy is the problem, and fake news, spin.

1. profile image0

For your enlightenment:

Trump fires back at Puerto Rico mayor, accuses her of poor leadershuip

I look forward to the entry for Trump in the next issue of "Profiles in Leadership."

I knew about PR's $73 billion debt, plus. Poor leadership needs to be called out.  Puerto Rico has a debt crisis and Trump is not the only one who has talked about that, I have months ago, but that is not the most important issue right now. It is the humanitarian crisis that is of the most importance or it should be to everyone.  Its heartbreaking. 

People are more important than paper. Government officials need to get that right, sometimes it might take a bigger crisis for them to do that.  I'm praying for that mayor, I'm sure she needs every prayer she can get and than some. Its more than a very difficult time and her leadership is being tested to its limits right now.  I can see her earnest.

2. Aime F profile image70
            Aime Fposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Such an awful commentary on events that are already plenty awful. He's just a lousy person, plain and simple.

Yes, it's pretty hard to understand where that's coming from.  At least I can't see any reason to make such a comment.

2. profile image0

Yes, as I have previously stated, I wouldn't trust him to take care of my dog, much less my country.

He is an icky, icky person.

10. colorfulone profile image78

Former Major League Baseball star Curt Schilling, whose hurricane relief project Operation Bullpen has been mobilized to help the people of Puerto Rico, told Fox & Friends Saturday that the problem with the relief efforts is not in the White House, but on the island.

“All have said that the president did everything in a pace that they’ve never seen before as far as him releasing money and releasing assets into these theaters. The execution on the ground has been horrifying in some cases."

“There are people … the soldiers and some of the personnel are doing everything they can, but I’ve seen the best and the worst of humanity in the last 48 to 72 hours, and it’s terrifying."

Schilling said that Americans have no idea of the extent of the damage the island suffered when Hurricane Maria hit on Sept. 20 because it has not been fully reported in the media.

He said that 8 police officers had been buried, and didn't think that story had made it out either.

https://www.westernjournalism.com/schil … orrifying/

Sounds like there is plenty of incompetence on the island according to Schilling from Puerto Rico.

"Results of recovery efforts will speak much louder than complaints by San Juan Mayor. Doing everything we can to help great people of PR!"  ~  President Trump
      https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta … 2131509248

He will be in PR on Tuesday.

Neighboring mayor praises Trump, says San Juan mayor playing 'politics,' AWOL at meetings
        http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/neigh … le/2636185

The mayor of a Puerto Rican city that sits next to San Juan praised the administration's help Saturday night, and chided the "politics" of San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz, who has been criticizing President Trump.

In an interview with Secrets, Guaynabo Mayor Angel Perez Otero said that in several meetings with FEMA and U.S. military officials about the recovery effort, Yulin Cruz has been absent. "I've seen other mayors participating. She's not," said Perez Otero.

Hmm!  She is incompetent.

11. colorfulone profile image78

MSM Says Trump Isn’t Doing Much, Here’s The REAL Story
    https://www.sarahpalin.com/2017/09/30/m … y/?ref=Ads

Looks like things are much, much better in Puerto Rico than I imagined, and a hell of a lot better than the hateful liberal mayor that has been spewing lies for the liberal media narrative.   lol  Vote her out!

WTF?

She was begging for help - how is that lying?
      This is want Cruz said, please point out the lies

"Every moment we spend planning in a meeting, or every moment we spend just not getting the help we're supposed to get, people are starting to die already," Cruz said. "Boots are on the ground, help is here, I have doctors from HHS that wanted to help, eager to help, ready to help, but they didn't get any marching orders. Somebody has to structure the logistics of the aid getting in...We need to get our shit together. I don't know how else to scream, and shout, and say it. This is the time for action."

Mr. Trump approved major disaster declarations and ordered federal aid for the states of Texas and Florida, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico equally quickly — in each case, on the day the hurricane made landfall.

#1 The Jones Act was waived much sooner for mainland than for PR.

#2   Posse Comitatus Act limits the role that active military personnel can play."  That's why we have a congress, and president that can quickly move if need be to increase FEMA funding when needed, and act to send in the guardsmen from where they can be gotten.   -Rob301

The bumbling cruelty of the Trump administration* in response to the disaster in Puerto Rico is not an isolated accident of history. It’s a clumsier manifestation of the way conservative Republican politicians respond to all situations: They draw on their theological devotion to a series of conjuring words while people struggle to get drinking water and to clean the mold out of their houses. One storm follows another, and the answer is always the same. Magical thinking, ideological gobbledegook, and penurious inhumanity.

Also PR has zero electoral votes. Perhaps it's not racist at all. Puerto Rico will be Trump's Katrina.

http://unidosporpuertorico.com/en/

http://www.redcross.org/about-us/our-wo … c-Response

https://prvoad.communityos.org/cms/irma

Do not donate water bottles, clothing.
      Consider making a monetary donation or purchasing water purification tablets instead.

Report any suspicious charity requests to the National Center for Disaster Fraud at 866-720-5721 via email.

12. colorfulone profile image78

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — As of Saturday morning, here's what we know about hurricane recovery in the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico, which has a population of 3.4 million.

• Death toll: 16

• Gasoline stations open: 714 of 1,100

• Amount of fuel on the island: 600,000 barrels of diesel and 722,000 barrels of gasoline. Converted to gallons, that's 25.2 million gallons of diesel, 30.3 million gallons of gas but getting the fuel to where it's needed most is a problem because of debris and washed-out roads. Electricity to operate gas pumps also is an issue.

• Electric customers with power: 5%

• Supermarkets open: 224 of 456

• Pharmacies open: 337

• Municipalities visited and provided with emergency supplies: 78 (all of them)

• Staging areas across the island for food, water and other supplies: 11

• Shelters open: 150

• Hospitals open: 51 of 69

• Hospitals connected to the electric grid: 9
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat … 720731001/

The death toll after the hurricanes was 16, it is still 16.

13. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

Columbia univ satellite maps reported 1500 roads & bridges impassable 18 hrs ago. Dr. colleague says few generators are there. Drinking h2o worst problem.

14. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90

Many of my Red Cross trucks are stuck. My church's semi truck of water/good can't get through.

1. profile image0

I'm sorry to hear it. It's a shame more federal help isn't there to fix the roads and bridges so your trucks can get through.

Patty, are you in Puerto Rico?  I hope your church's truck can be put to good use soon.

15. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

John Oliver Last Week This Sunday episodes on
    U.S. Territories and PR.

https://youtu.be/Tt-mpuR_QHQ  {PR}

https://youtu.be/CesHr99ezWE {US ISLANDS}

both made a while back

16. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90

I just heard we may be able to get a helicopter to help fly food and water to the people. Also read that DOT approved $40millon for road repairs on the island. I'm hopeful.

17. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

“an antiquated law that has for too long hindered free trade, made U.S. industry less competitive and raised prices for American consumers.” - McCain

The Jones Act mandates that any goods shipped by water between two points in the United States must be transported on a U.S.-built, U.S.-flagged, and at least 75 percent U.S.-crewed vessel. Originally conceived to sustain the Merchant Marine fleet after the First World War, the Jones Act has become the support system for domestic commercial shipbuilding.

Signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson two years after World War I ended, the Jones Act was passed as a protective measure against foreign competition, particularly Germany. By restricting domestic trade to U.S.-flagged vessels with U.S. crews, America would always have a robust fleet of boats and sailors on hand in the event German submarines attacked the U.S.

The law has since found backers in the American maritime industry, which says it supports American jobs. Recent presidents from both parties, including George W. Bush and Barack Obama, have touted it as crucial to national security because it reduces America's dependency on foreign-owned vessels.

The cost to American consumers each year runs in the billions of dollars, with particularly large impacts on places like Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands that (unlike the mainland) depend almost exclusively on shipping for everything from food to fuel.

The  book, The Captured Economy, calls it “regressive regulation.” Such regulation is a subset of what economists describe as “rent-seeking,” or the pursuit of extra profits through the political process. Most rent-seeking, like the Jones Act, is characterized by what the economist Mancur Olson diagnosed as concentrated benefits and diffuse costs.

-----------------------------------------------------
    http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 … -jones-act

It has made the U.S.-flagged fleet the oldest of any developed nation in the world. The ban on intrastate transportation using foreign vessels means that if you want to take a car from Jacksonville, Fla., to Puerto Rico, it will have to be on a ship built in the United States. The rub: Regulations have strangled domestic construction, to the point that it’s nearly impossible to build a vessel in the United States.

The tragic truth is that in most of the world’s developed countries, vessels such as El Faro would never pass inspection. The American Bureau of Shipping is one of the few shipping societies that regularly classes ships older than 30.

So let’s finally be done with it: Let’s kill the Jones Act. We even have the perfect name for the legislation to do it: the El Faro Act, in honor of the sailors who may have perished because of this 100-year-old protectionist folly.

-----------------------------------------------------

P.S.Screw Obama  - he was not Bush43-lite but Bush43^2

"The cost to American consumers each year runs in the billions of dollars,"

Did you remember to deduct the savings in unemployment/welfare payments to dockworkers and sailors?  The taxes garnered from the businesses on the docks and the shiplines?  The money gained from dockworkers having their own money to spend on local businesses along with the taxes they pay?  Did you deduct the taxes/money earned by steel workers making the steel?  The truck drivers transporting it to shipyards? 

I highly doubt it runs into the billions and it would not surprise me to find that the cost to the nation is actually a profit.

18. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

CORRECTION:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=U … &hl=en

The sub was going to give electricity but the generators supplied was good enough and it wasn't Iniki it was Iwa

19. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

msg frm McCain:

Long-Term Relief & Recovery for Puerto Rico

In the wake of the devastation and destruction caused by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, the American people have learned of a little-known law that is strangling the island's long-term recovery: the Jones Act. The Jones Act requires that all goods shipped between waterborne ports of the United States be carried by vessels built in the United States and owned and operated by Americans. As a result, shipping costs from the United States mainland have been estimated to be twice as much as from neighboring islands.

Puerto Ricans have long suffered under this protectionist scheme. A 1999 study conducted by the United States International Trade Commission calculates that Jones Act requirements are equivalent to a 65 percent tariff on shipping services, which is passed along to consumers. Leaving Puerto Ricans vulnerable to this injustice as they recover from a historic natural disaster is unacceptable.

Late last week, the Administration conceded to a 10-day waiver for Puerto Rico from the Jones Act in light of hurricane recovery efforts. While this is an important first step in what will be a long and hard-fought recovery, we cannot yet breathe a sigh of relief and think that our work here is done. The long-term needs of this territory have not yet been resolved, and Congress must step up.

That's why last week, I introduced legislation along with my colleague Senator Mike Lee (R-UT) that would permanently exempt Puerto Rico from the Jones Act. I hope we can take up this legislation as soon as possible to speed up recover and relief efforts in Puerto Rico.

I have long advocated a repeal of this archaic policy. It is protectionist, it is anti-free market, and it is ruled by special interests. Recent events in Puerto Rico have only exacerbated an issue that has plagued this territory for years. We can no longer afford to delay debate on this policy, hoping that the problem solves itself. Puerto Rico is in urgent need of this permanent exemption, and denying them such is condemning them to economic downfall for years to come.

P.S. Why just PR McCain? How about HI also?

And if HI is included, how about New Orleans, LA, Seattle and every other major port?

Wonder if he considered at all what the impact would be on the US merchant marine industry - an industry that we desperately require for national security.

That's something worth exploring, but I proposed dropping the Jones Act for islands only. Not the mainland.

20. crankalicious profile image88
    crankaliciousposted 6 years ago

Who says that aid has been slow to reach Puerto Rico? That's just more fake news. Do you live in Puerto Rico? How do you know that the aid has been slow to get there?

Why don't you believe President Trump that his administration has been doing a great job and everything they can to help the people of Puerto Rico? It's just that they haven't really been helping themselves much and their infrastructure is so screwed up that helping them is really difficult.

If the people of Puerto Rico help themselves first, then things will get better. They need to quit complaining and get to work.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Many don't believe it because the administration was so slow to help.

These people haven't had food or water for about two weeks now. By the time anyone can get to those who live in more isolated areas, the people will be dead. They can't show the bodies on TV. There is more gas now, but in beginning days all the roads were full of debris, and there was no gas to run chain saws or any heavy machinery. It's been difficult to help because the port is destroyed and the people who are alive are likely getting weaker and weaker.

Babies have no formula if they were not breast fed, and a dehydrated Mom has no milk. They need diapers. Old people can't do a lot and don't have medications. When places get flooded, sewage gets into the water.

What more can they do? They need help. The logistical problems and legal issues are complicating things even more. The news shows a lot more cleared roads and trucks (small ones) getting along well on them.

But I think Trump throwing paper towels at people and blaming them for their misfortune is really cruel. The "fake news" nonsense was made up by Bannon and Trump,(and probably the brilliant KellyAnne, another idiot). Now whenever Trump gets criticized, which is more and more often, people are tired of an incompetent POTUS, he just says "fake news" and walks away.

1. crankalicious profile image88
        crankaliciousposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How can we even be sure a hurricane hit Puerto Rico? More FAKE news!

I think I detect a trace of sarcasm... big_smile

Can I give you a virtual hug.  smile

I guess it's fun living in a world where you will follow an unstable man into Hell, and defend him even when he says and does the dumbest things. It's hopeless, when you support him even though he blurts out words that are almost getting us in a nuclear war.

Is it fun living in a world where everything - hurricanes, destroyed docks, blocked roads, dying people - is always about someone you hate?

I've told others, and sadly watched as predictions came true - let it, and the hatred will consume you.  When everything in your world is about that hatred it will eat you alive.

Dan,
                I don't know why you always make this about hate. Anyone who knows me would know how ridiculous it is saying that about me. I don't hate anyone. I'm always the one who cares too much and I do all I can for people. I am often told I am the most gentle soul people meet.

I do not hate Trump and his cabinet. I think he was a poor choice for POTUS; but hoped he would fill his cabinet and the yet to be filled jobs with competent people. He didn't, he chose all friends or acquaintances who didn't know anything about running a government. Or fired those who did.

He has zero intellectual curiosity, Ex: "We are finding out Puerto Rico is an island. It's surrounded by water. Ocean water." This is second grade curriculum. I live near his area and in the East we all know what a fool he is. He has to borrow all his money from China because he was always a dishonest businessman, and never uses his own money for his deals. Then he defaults on all his payments. He refused to sell or rent to people of color. We out here knew this years and years ago. He ruined Atlantic City with his casinos. Since they are empty, it wouldn't be hard to remake them into Veterans' Housing. Frame out some walls, sheet rock, paint on the casino levels. In the hotel rooms, knock out some walls and make small apartments, a BR, LR, Kitchen, Bathroom. Most are already handicapped accessible.

He did promise to take care of our Vets, just like he promised a lot of things. Even George W. Bush got derailed by 9-11, and who knows what his Presidency would have been like had it not gotten such a terrible start? Trump has caused all his own problems by trying to run the government like his company, no oversight, just family with no Bd. of Directors, breaking laws, and bullying people. He never divested himself of his business assets and is making money from the Presidency, a no/no. And before you start, of course the hurricanes are not his fault.

You would have to be blind not to see how people have to suck up to him because of his need for praise. He undermines his cabinet all the time and hinders even the good things they try to do. Rex Tillerson was trying to turn the heat down in North Korea, and in the middle of that, Trump tweeted for him it wasn't worth the effort. NOT WORTH THE EFFORT to try to find a compromise and not start a nuclear war?

He is teasing Sessions and others about whether they should be fired. How can they function like that? Even when he is supposed to be consoling large groups of people and trying to give them hope, he goes on and on about himself. He's a little boy in a man's body, who thinks playing with the United States of America is like a bigger, better Apprentice.

I love this country and wish it was in better hands. He makes a serious gaffe everyday, and the tweeting is childish. And I can't believe the post above this, knocking that Mayor of San Juan when she has not slept for days and was seen in waders pulling weakened people out of contaminated water. She was berated for not emailing requisitions to FEMA when THE CELL TOWERS WERE ALL DOWN. She refused to kiss his a$$ like everyone else has to do to get along with him. Who are the HATERS? Read the posts like that. Many of you on this thread should be ashamed of yourselves and I won't anything else to do with this same group.

Hired all incompetents. 
                  Zero intellectual curiosity
                  He's a fool
                  Has to borrow all funds from China
                  Does not pay back debts
                  Racist landlord
                  Ruined Atlantic City
                  His presidency got a terrible start <because of him>
                  Has no oversight
                  Bully
                  Breaking laws
                  People have to suck up to him
                  Undermines his cabinet
                  Hinders even good things cabinet tries to do
                  Will start war before trying diplomacy with a madman
                  Teasing whether he should fire underlings
                  Little boy in man's body
                  Thinks presidency is a TV show
                  Makes serious gaffe every day
                  Tweeting is childish
                  No bd of directors
                  Making money from presidency

A litany like that in one short post, but no hatred.  Right.  I stand by my post, and hope you will understand one day what it is doing to you.

As you pointed out, you don't have a psychology degree. I also stand by my post.

All I said about Trump is true. The list is terrible, but as everyone calls it, all he does is "unprecedented."

I thought better of you than that you were a troll. I know who I am and am very loved by people, because I am patient and kind.. I council people about their problems and donate to needy ones in some way whenever I can.

I just believe the list I quickly made about this President, he's a dismal failure. And he wants to hurt children and women. I don't think all R's are mean and heartless, I have R friends who are great.

You don't know me personally, but attack me personally every time I say anything about your Sainted Trump. Come to Atlantic City and see what he did. He's been lying since Inaugural day about the crowd size, whoops, more hate. It is you who needs to take a better look at yourself.

2. Castlepaloma profile image77
                    Castlepalomaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Good discrimination of Trump

You got to love the guy, you just can't give enough love to Trump. Who needs love more in this world, than he?

I was there, doing a job for Trump at Trump world Casino. Our relationship crumbled like my sandcastle that we built for him.

Is there anybody better than Trump for President out of 300 million people in the whole of America? 

I can't turn my TV on, anymore.

21. colorfulone profile image78

Mayor Nasty  -- self-fulling prophesy!
    https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13729334.jpg

22. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

@Jean Bakula
    Applause!

Boooooooooooooo to the forum of trolls spinning her like that.
    Shame
    Shame
    Shame

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13729447.gif

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)