Wow, the HP moderators dig DEEP....

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)
  1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

I recently tried to publish a new Hub based off of a piece that's been sitting around in my files for a while.  I didn't simply copy and paste the original text -- I moved things around, switched up some stuff, and added and subtracted a bunch of other stuff. Anyway, once I hit "publish" it sat in the "under review" queue for a while and then I got the dreaded rejection message saying that "large portions" of it were duplicated "elsewhere." This was a first for me.

I couldn't figure out where the Powers That Be came up with that "elsewhere," because to the best of my knowledge, I had removed the only other existing copy of this piece from the website it had been posted on a loooong time ago... so it should've been free and clear. I shrugged, made some more changes to it,  re-submitted it again and... pffft. Still "unpublished," for the same reason.

Puzzled, I went back to my original draft of the piece and started copying/pasting bits of it into Google, sentence by sentence, till I finally found my answer -- I had totally forgotten that I'd allowed it to be posted on a friend's blog many years ago, and THAT was the copy that HP's "duplicate" filters were tripping over. I had no idea that this guy's blog was still active!! Unfortunately the blog's owner and I are no longer in contact, otherwise I would simply ask him to delete that other version.

Sooooo, I went back into my revised-several-times-over Hub, made even MORE changes to it and re-submitted it for publication yet AGAIN....and now I play the waiting game. If this piece gets a third strike, I will give up and delete the whole kit 'n' kaboodle because it's clearly not "meant to be!" big_smile

I'm not complaining, by the way... just surprised (and actually a little impressed) at how deeply the Powers That Be dig around when they search for duplicated content!! I had no idea that "other" copy was still hanging around on some dark, dusty, disused corner of the Web but they managed to sniff it out. Lesson learned.

(I also hope that the Powers That Be don't think I was trying to pull some kind of fast one with this piece. I've been victimized by copiers and article thieves several times during my years here at HP, so I would never do it to someone else!!)

2. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 6 years ago

Kinda crazy. I didn't know they dug that deep either.

3. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 6 years ago

Neat that you shared this info. My experience is the HP has been most kind when an honest mistake is made, and even a careless one (as long as its honest). It is good to know that they try to be careful about copied posts. All things considered, building integrity on the www is a huge task for them.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Update: the Hub in question has cleared moderation and is now published (tho as of this writing it is not yet "featured," cuz the QAP is a whole 'nother process)... sooooo, all's well that ends well, I guess.

Thanks to the Powers That Be for being cool about this, it really was simply an honest mistake on my part! big_smile

5. profile image0
    Holley Hylerposted 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing the info! I know I have quite a bit of my writing floating around out there on the web as well. Luckily, most of it is on my own blog. Glad you ended up getting the piece published! It is good to know that the mods take such great care that possibly plagiarized work isn't published, but this can be frustrating in cases like yours where you don't have much control with removing your own piece from your friend's blog.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image93

Update #2: the Hub in question is now featured. Case closed!

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Update #3: the Hub in question has now been niche-sited, so its journey is complete.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Good job!

2. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's nice to learn that you succeeded, FatFreddys. You have done it after all. Congrats for that.

And, Bravo, HP Powers That Be.

7. Dean Traylor profile image95
    Dean Traylorposted 6 years ago

If you've published elsewhere, there's always a likelihood that someone had lifted the articles. That happened to me. I had several articles originally published on Helium. Just before Helium tanked, I took those stories off and published them on this site, immediately. At the time there  were no problems. However, a year and half later, the "duplicate" icon was placed one four articles. It appeared that a site known as pitlane dot com had stolen these articles when they were originally posted at Helium and waited more than a year afterward to publish them on its site. Later, I discovered that this person took a voluminous amount of articles from the site. I counted 10 of mine at the time. I discovered an 11th one on the site when I attempted to republish it last year. This time, I paid the price: the article was taken offline. I have yet to edit it in a way that it doesn't reflect the article that was originally published by me.  I've reported the site, but it appears they're still online.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This was one of the problems of writing at Helium.  One of the reasons I stopped writing there was that Helium had the right to sell our articles, without asking us or paying us.  It was in the terms and conditions of the site, but of course most Helium members (including me) didn't read them before they joined! 

So the site you mention may have stolen the articles, but they could equally have bought them from Helium legally. It would make sense for Helium to try to recoup some of their losses by selling off the articles, after all.

Randy was very vocal in his criticisms of Helium but like you, I don't believe he had anything to do with the site's demise.  The site was doomed as soon as Google Panda happened:  like most other article sites, it lost about 75% of its income overnight.   HubPages did too, but the thing is, it was starting from a healthier position, so it was able to hang on, and it was easier for them to adjust to please Google.  Whereas Helium's fundamental structure made it much harder for them to do so.

So, you should probably be grateful to RR Donnelly for coming along, because if they hadn't, Helium would have closed much earlier than it did.

RR Donnelly had the right idea, eventually - split Helium into a suite of niche sites, as HubPages has now done. It should have been the saving of Helium - but they made a dog's breakfast of it.  Our articles were unpublished for so many weeks, every single one got de-indexed.  When the niche sites were launched, Google regarded all the articles as brand new - but of course, over the years, all those articles had been re-sold or copied many times, so the niche sites looked as though they were full of duplicate content. Google ignored them.  That was the end of Helium.

8. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago

Hey Dean, I didn't realize you published on the dreaded Helium website. I'm proud to say I played an instrumental part in taking them down. So, you're welcome. tongue

9. Dean Traylor profile image95
    Dean Traylorposted 6 years ago

Randy -- just curious -- how did you play a part in its demise? I always felt that RR Donnelly had a huge hand in destroying that site when they bought it. Also, near its end it was becoming a home to several fringe writers. Including someone that went by the name of Terrence Aym.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)