The US is considering moving the embassy to Jerusalem

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (35 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 6 years ago

What do you think about this new move by Trump?
    Is this a good idea?
    Jerusalem will be recgnized as the capital of Israel.
    What is the consequence if any?

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm confused (and ignorant) about this.  Why is the US president deciding where the capital of a foreign nation shall be?  Why isn't Israel making that call, and whatever they decide is what is to be?

1. Live to Learn profile image61
        Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What I heard was the US has some convoluted system where it says the embassy is in Jerusalem and every so often it passes a measure to temporarily leave the embassy in Tel Aviv. Trump,they said, is going to sign to leave it in Tel Aviv,  but actually move it, finally.

Things just got more ridiculous.

What?  What?  Trump is going to order it left in Tel Aviv while moving it to Jerusalem?  Because congress says it is in Jerusalem while it is in Tel Aviv?  And, according to the liberal news last night, the rest of the world is angry and ready for war because the US want's it's embassy where Israel says the capital is?

Is it any wonder we peasants cannot understand politico-speak?

2. colorfulone profile image79
        colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

As president, Bill Clinton, signed into law to move the US Embassy to Jerusalem, but he never did, nor did the presidents to follow.  But, now Trump is going to enforce the law. 

Several countries are now showing interest in moving their Embassy to Jerusalem.

President Trump will deliver his Jerusalem speech at 1pm E.

jackclee lmposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is the same thinking by some foreign policy experts that we the US can bring peace to the Middle East...
          They have been fighting for a few thousand years...off and on.
          We have no influence one way or another...its an illusion.
          It makes no difference where the Capital is located to the Arab world. They never recognized the State of Israel.

1. colorfulone profile image79

The time period to move the Embassy has come to its end, its do it now or wait another six months to decide.  I believe today is the final day to act on the delay, if I understand it right.  There is presidency.

Added:   
            The Bible says Jerusalem is "The city of the Great King." Psalm 48:2
            Psalm 122:6 says to "pray for the peace of Jerusalem." 

Trump pledged his support to the Jewish state, and promised to move the US Embassy repeatedly during his campaign.   He is mandated to do it.

If Trump's mandate is coming from religious writings - any religious tome - then it should not be done.

If it's not, then let it stand on its own merits and ignore the writings of the ancients.

There is no biblical prophecy regarding US embassy in Jerusalem...
                The act by the US is merely symbolic. It is a strong statement of support for the State of Israel which was not the case under the Obama years. Lets hope the Palestinians and other Arab states take note. We are supporting Israel’s right to exist.

Personally, I believe that nearly everything the US does for, with or about Israel is rooted in religious beliefs.  Which means that parts of it's holy writings will be conveniently interpreted to show that it is correct.

But if the whole thing is merely symbolic, it would seem there are not only far cheaper things we might do, things that won't uproot lives, won't cost millions of dollars and might actually benefit the US or at a minimum our people at the embassy.

That may be true but since when does America worry about costs...? That is why we have a 20 trillion dollar debt and growing.
                    Our support for Israel is based on our believe in justice and democracy. Israel is the only democratic state in the Middleast. They are our allies and our trade partners and our friend in the fight against Islamic terrorism.

I look at it as an historic time.  Yes, Trump could very well change history.

Its an exciting time to be alive!

1. colorfulone profile image79

Bush and Obama making the promise to move the Embassy. Video and audio.
                  https://twitter.com/foxandfriends/statu … 9027375105

People cheered them for making that promise.  Why were they not true to their mandate?  Cowards, weak, liars?

President Trump did it!   smile 

Lawmakers passed the Jerusalem Embassy Act in 1995, signed into law by President Clinton.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

Looking at the Jewish and the Jewish state   one can deduct  easily why that ,especially with today's media , that our culture has absolutely no political memory , no real cultural conscious  and a lousy grasp on  the " history of then "  as compared to the "history of now "   .     Look at world media alone  , in 1939 there were two essential parts of the news media , written  and radio ,  both fairly undeveloped and  infantile as far as any basic mature cultural grasp .  Then we read papers a week or two old  for any information ,     some of us who think that today's news media is biased , immature and out of sync would grow an instant and total appreciation of what we call today "being informed ".

But have we evolved , Not so much .

3. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago

The US, Britain, and France put the Jews in Israel to be our bully boy in a region with vast oil resources. We gave them nuclear weapons to help them have their way in the Middle East, British Petroleum is one such entity which held sway over such deals in this area.

4. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago

I am going to say this because, you know, I like to spout my opinion. ;-)

I gave up a long time ago caring about who did what and why. I just can't muster up any real interest in it. People have been  fighting and dying for so long....for what? Nothing, and I mean nothing, is worth that much death and destruction.

I've lost interest, other than when I hear there might be a chance for peace. Even then, I just kinda perk up my ears and wait and see.

So, because of that, my only concern about this recent decision is, will it further the cause of peace? If it doesn't, or if it mnakes matters worse, it isn't worth doing

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It all comes down to Trump doing what the rich Jews in the US and Israel want. They are some of the chief donators to the Republican party. It's all about money as usual.

If that was true, then why didn’t GW Bush or President Obama did the same when they were in power?the same rich donors contributed to their campaigns...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)