What is the Reason/Purpose of Life?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (90 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

What do you think the reason or purpose of life is? I think our purpose is to learn, teach, grow, evolve.

1. Lady_E profile image63
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...... and make a positive impact. smile

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol that is good. Anything else?

1. Lady_E profile image63
          Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmh.  Let me think. Look after our dogs, cats and wildlife ..... smile

Could our purpose really be this simple?

2. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And don't forget, Die

If our information lives forever and carries to the next generation, we can never die.

1. tantrum profile image61

Tell that to all the dead people who nobody remembers, and to those that didn't have children

I'm sure the knowledge they shared and learned from their life experiences would have made an impact on someone.

2. marinealways24 profile image59

If our only purpose was to die, I don't think most of us would have so much time between life and death.

3. Drew Breezzy profile image63
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

endless search for happiness

2. BrianFanslau profile image61
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

Sadness... This is going to be yet another dead end. It all depends on your world view as we shall soon see others expel their beliefs and believed purpose. For me personally I believe my purpose in life is simple... I know it and it won't matter to anyone else smile

What do you believe your purpose is?

I already told you. Im not going 2 repeat myself.  You know what I think of life. I'm sure death is going to be a hell of a trip big_smile

You know more than me. I'm not sure what happens at death.

We are energy, energy remains, so we will remain one way or the other. I'm sure it's cool  big_smile

How do you know that we don't get in what we put out? Some of us have a more positive energy that others at times. Do you think this makes a difference?

I'm not talking about that kind of energy. that's basic energy. Everyday energy, nothing

lol how is our purpose to die if we remain an energy?

You don't get it, and I hate writing long. The thing is, our body dies. Life is as human beings now. And i told you for me the purpose is to have fun , and that's it. Fun until I die lol

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
            Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

At death your noodly appendage passes the ala dente stage.

Really Wow! I told you!  dying is cool big_smile

My appendix got removed.

2. candice5 profile image59
      candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree but can see this going down a sacred path. Many arguments later to be Closed to reply.
      I don't understand why Topics like this that have religious connotation, cannot be left in the religious Section.

1. XTASIS profile image61
        XTASISposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Becausereligion forum is full of crap. This is the only place where we can be left in peace... so far smile

Excellent Comment.

2. candice5 profile image59

Oh Great so we are going to have more religious Posts  here.
          Why can't people just keep their beliefs private./ You won't convince anyone. Waste of time, and makes Hubbers Hangout boring.

1. XTASIS profile image61

You didn't understand me. I said,  why go to religion forum if it's full of crap, ha? this is not a religious thread

I didn't know this was a religious question.

3. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

On a more serious note, I think the purpose of life is the same as the reason most good parents want to have children. All life exists to be loved, cared for, and raised to do likewise in return.

4. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I believe it is to strive to be a better person, everyday.  I believe the purpose of life is to search for purpose and to believe there is a purpose.

I think some give up on finding purpose. The only way I think purpose can't be found is when someone gives up searching.

5. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Make a ton of money, save the dying kids in Sudan, win a dozen Oscars, go to heaven.

lol I am speachless.

Don't forget 2 buy your ticket lol

2. world of the wise profile image67
      world of the wiseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the kids in sudan, i think that is wonderful, on winning oscar, think that is impossible
      but anyway. i wish you success

I second that.

1. candice5 profile image59

Why kick the Guy someone has to win an Oscar, I m outta here its getting to me. I hate negativity.

Whoops, I misread. I thought he wrote "possible" and not "impossible". Sorry bout that CJ.

2. XTASIS profile image61

Who is the negative here ? lol

3. marinealways24 profile image59

I get a feeling you like drama.

6. BrianFanslau profile image61
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

So if we have purpose then which we have agreed thus far. Who gives us purpose or what? Why would we exist if for no reason yet have purpose?

7. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

the reason for living is dying ,as it is the ultimate purpose

8. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Moving on 2 have more fun . Bye! smile

9. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

I believe one thing to remember is that our lives are all interconnected. It may be that someone does bigger things in their life than we do and our purpose is to assist them. You may be only one link in a chain you may not even know you were part of and yet without you the achievement of a higher purpose would not have been possible. So don't judge those who seem to have done nothing based on your limited perception, please.

lol who is this to?

1. Haunty profile image74
        Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know. Maybe it's to myself.

10. sexkitten profile image59
    sexkittenposted 14 years ago

Live for yourself and who gives a darn about the rest!

lol I've just read your hub lol You should b a stand-up comedian !

1. sexkitten profile image59
        sexkittenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks wink

lol Isn't that selfish?

11. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

To learn, grow, evolve, and to leave this place better than what we were born into.

Is our purpose to leave it better or destroy it?

12. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

To love and be loved.

1 good reason for some.

13. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

“There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.”

Well I don't agree much withthat statement. Maybe it's because I'm a cynic. Seen 2 much, lived 2 much smile

1. Colebabie profile image61
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe smile So life has made you cynical of love?

14. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

It seems to me for some for no other reason than to kill and create havoc for all others.

Maybe they have not found their purpose and choose to take their frustrations out on others. I think if many of us looked at why they do bad things, we could find faster corrections.

15. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 14 years ago

One time, long long ago, I ate these mushrooms..and I wrote on my wall in purple crayon...life has several meanings. I really think thats true tho. everyone has a different meaning, there isn't just one. Live YOUR life. thats all you can do.

Ah, agreed everyone makes a different purpose. I was speaking on large scale from a creator or evolutional standpoint.

16. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

There was life for millions of years before any of it had evolved enough to develop consciousness enough to ask the question of purpose. This suggests to me that there does not need to be any 'true' purpose. Our linguistic/artistic development has fostered in us the psychological need to have purpose. But you know, we could do worse than look to Maslow for explanation. Our purpose is to eliminate pain, discomfort and discontent until we are comfortable enough to feel happy. Beyond that, we may reach for fulfillment (whatever that means on an individual basis). But we should never drop our guard, in case we find our true purpose is to be tiger food.

Thank You for adding, always appreciated. You made a lot of sense, especially when you said how we eliminate pain, discomfort to feel happy. It's amazing to me how many activities we do to take our minds off of life. Sports, work, school, anything imaginable to busy our minds. Why do you think we focus so much on how to blur life rather than how to live life?

17. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

To make your mark and be remembered!

What if someone tries to make their mark and dies unknown, are they less?

18. oscillationatend profile image61
    oscillationatendposted 14 years ago

To exist.

19. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

To eat!

20. katacham profile image60
    katachamposted 14 years ago

I think the purpose of my life (not necessarily other people) is to be the best i possibly can be in all aspects: mentally, physically, psychologically and so on. I'm always going to strive for perfection until the day i die. I believe that the closer i get, the happier and more accepting of myself i will be. Perhaps this is a superficial view.

I think those are great goals as long as you realize perfection doesn't exist. I think the true art of being the best you can be is making others the best they can be also.

21. world of the wise profile image67
    world of the wiseposted 14 years ago

to serve God

Thank You for commenting. I disagree, to each their own. I think there is enough in life to worry about without worrying about serving someone. I think God should serve me for maintaining my sanity in an insane world.

22. XTASIS profile image61
    XTASISposted 14 years ago

I think my purpose of life is to remain calm and out of the world's chaos. And then try to help as much people as I can

Again, I think this is a great comment. I share the same view of how to live. I very much agree with not adding to the chaos. I do believe in learning how to prevent chaos, so I make myself see it. Thank You for adding.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)