I have been asked by a book publisher to publish my book

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (18 posts)
  1. the clean life profile image71
    the clean lifeposted 13 years ago

I have been asked by a book publisher to publish my book

I have received today a formal contract of the manuscript I sent to publisher 2 months age. The problem is that they want $3,995.00 refundable before they start to work on editing etc.  This is my first at this so can anyone help with me with this. They informed me that I only have 10 days to return and its a well know publisher so I have been told.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

They want money-- that's a red flag. A lot of money-- a bigger red flag.
    They are trying to rush you into a decision-- another one.
    A legit publisher offers a contract when they think they can make money from selling your book-- not from charging you.

Research the company name and I'll bet you will find them on the 'questionable " list.

3. MPG Narratives profile image61
    MPG Narrativesposted 13 years ago

I agree, this sounds very questionable. Try and find out as much information as possible about this company and don't send any money, they are supposed to pay you.

4. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 13 years ago

forget it, a real publisher pays you, not the other way around.  What you have here is a 'Vanity Publisher' the people who run these businesses play up on how good your book is, normally a 1st one, and say they can publish it, and then give you a bill for an up-front payment.   Drop them, I've heard tales of unfinished print runs, no marketing, most big shops and libraries won't touch VPs.  How many agents have you approached, or big publishing houses, the ones you find in The Writers' and Artists' Year Book, or, The Writer's Digest, they also, often, carry articles on VPs.  I've just looked at my index for the 2010 edition of Writers' and Artists'....it has 5 entries on vanity publishing, page 301 is the main article.

5. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

Personaly I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole....

There are some quite reputable publishers who are jumping on the Self Publishing band waggon as a way of minimising the risks to themselves.

My advice is to say "Thanks ...but  No Thanks.!"   Save your money !

6. DeAd Dolls Inc profile image61
    DeAd Dolls Incposted 13 years ago

TCL,

I work for a Book Distribution Company, and we work closely with all the Major Publishing Companies. I have over 10 years in the business, and not once have I ever heard of a Publishing company asking you to pay money.

In the book world as "Mick" said "Publisher's Pay you". I've worked with over 100 Authors on getting there books published and pushed through the publishing companies and whole sale companies.

I would not, in anyway go about talking or communicating any further with this place. They are in no way a "Real company". A Real Publisher will offer you money for your Manuscript and lay out the rights to your material how much you and the publisher will each be making and receiving.

Always remember also to do your research and homework on companies before any type of decision as it may lay into you loosing all right's to your content.

Hope it helps in your Decision TCL.

7. Cheeky Girl profile image67
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

This is coming up a heck of a lot! First they send you a letter saying they will publish you, then charge you for editing the work, then charge you again for typesetting, then ask you to pay for the designer to design the cover and it goes on and on. This is Vanity Publishing. Every writers course I ever attended warned about this scam, and the writing magazines warn against it. And yet I see the Vanity publishing ads in the writers press too. There's a legitimate firm in the UK that will edit a book and typeset it for under £1,000 sterling. Google the firm Matador or just go to this link for it directly.

http://www.troubador.co.uk/matador/

They are legit. They got great mentions from writing students I know and they are in the Writers & Artists Yearbook.

The reason you are being "sold down the river" by that publisher is the "have only 10 days to return" crap. A Classic sales pressure ploy straight out of the Scam Manual. But the simple litmus test is just ask around for opinions about them. Who knows them? Who used them? And what happened when they did use them?

Some scammers prey on writers who have publishing hopes, and they try to cash in on peoples dreams of getting their work into print. I wish you the best of luck getting published. (Lulu.com is a good decent place to start if you wanted to become self-published. They can print a 90 page book for less than £5 sterling, sell it on LULU for £10, keep £5. Not bad. Anyway, choosing is the fun part. (Also, do protect and copyright your work too.)

8. Hi-Jinks profile image61
    Hi-Jinksposted 13 years ago

It's a scam. First they ask for money, and secondary you have ten days to make a decision.
    Run Run Run
    Also your work may not be much good did you proof read your question 2 months age?

9. Csjun89 profile image59
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

Sounds like a scam, you should stay far away!

10. Ladybythelake55 profile image61
    Ladybythelake55posted 13 years ago

I sure wouldn't pay that much money to have my book published. You have your own book published for less than around $500.00 and there will be no slicing and dicing as I call it . It will be as you wrote it. The way it was meant to be without any publicing companies demanding that you pay them for the work.

11. Gilbert Smith profile image60
    Gilbert Smithposted 13 years ago

They're scam artists, plain and goddamned simple.

No reputable publisher would ever ask you for ANY money at all. It's just plain not how the publishing world works.

Which publisher is it? I doubt a real well known publisher would be trying to pull this crap.

12. angel115707 profile image59
    angel115707posted 13 years ago

I really wouldn't I have been writing sense I was a teenager in my parents home, and came across those many times, they will publish it, but you pay for it, basically, and they over charge, and probably won't sell any through them.
      You know if you wan't to publish a book for less, I am considering Blurb.com...it's an online book publisher and you download templates called booksmart for free, edit the book yourself and the cost to order your books, is really nice, you can order, one, three, or over 100, it's not like traditional publishers that expect to print a minimum.  What I like about this option is there are many contests out there that want a real published book and/or chapbook that is already put together with copyright etc. You can then submit your published book rather than a manuscript to major publishers, etc.

13. profile image57
    celticmelodyposted 13 years ago

Ditto, what everyone else has said.   I would not take this deal.  Especially, without having an attorney (preferably one with good knowledge of the publishing industry) look it over.

If you are interested in self publishing, lulu.com and createspace.com (createspace is an Amazon company) will do it for free. 

Traditional publishers pay you through royalties.

14. Lifeallstar1 profile image59
    Lifeallstar1posted 13 years ago

Absolutely NOT!! Do not give them money. I know it's past the 10 days, since you posted this 2 weeks ago but I hope you did not give them money. I have sent manuscripts out to many publishing houses and have learned the in's and out's of how it works. That is never how it works!

Please tell me the name of the place. Did you find them from a publishing house directory? From an agent? They have books with publishing houses listed and each one wants something different. So you know who to send to and who not to. It's a great source to have before sending a query letter with a few chapters or a cover letter with your full manuscript if it's short like a children's picture book.

I would be extremely interested to know who would scam people like that. I want to see if their name is listed, as well. I doubt it but you never know if they squeaked in. Are you sure it wasn't an agency? I have seen both agencies and publishing houses that are scams but they usually mail you or you see an ad, which is not the norm ever!

Please let me know the name of the place. I would greatly appreciate it and if you tell me the type of book it is, I can give you some online sources to help that are not scams at all. They are not publishing houses but they are the real deal as far as who people use. Plus I can tell you which book that is a must have from the bookstore but I need to know if it's for children or adults.

If you did send to them, let us know what happened after you send the money. But give me the name. I'm dying to know. I will give you feedback on them.

Thanks for asking about this and I hope you did not send it, from what I saw the first person said but I didn't read through the posts since I just hit "answer this question." I'm going to read through now and I'm sure that's what they told you and maybe you even responded with the name already. Sorry I didn't read through the comments first but I couldn't believe it and had to respond right away, although too late.

15. Veianet profile image58
    Veianetposted 13 years ago

congratulations! If they find your work good, maybe it is time for you to self publish...paying publisher ahead is a no-no...you haven't even earn a dime from your hard work. Hope you did not get scammed.

Good luck to you!

16. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

No. no. no--been there etc.  A reputable publisher will not require any money from you to publish your book.  These kinds of places, EATON in Florida is one, that preys on people who are hungry to have their work published.  I received the same deal once and did some research.  Don't do it.

17. profile image51
    Dzon29posted 13 years ago

Make sure you have all necessary information regarding the work position you're interested in. The initial part on the employment cover letter need to be the area where you will tell them related to your own credentials. You then need to prove to the organization that they'll solely benefit from you and advise them exactly what can you offer. A single important thing will be to deliver the original resume cover letter and sign it using a blue colored ink pen. Ask them to get an occupation interview and explain you will make contact with them regarding that issue.

http://www.resumecoverletterexamples.org/

18. lovebuglena profile image83
    lovebuglenaposted 11 years ago

A publisher should never ask you for money if they want to publish your book. If they ask for money stay away from them. It is either a scam or people trying to rip you off. They should be paying you to have your work published with them, for allowing them publish your work.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)