If I put sugar in Green Tea, does it spoil the benefit?

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 13 years ago

If I put sugar in Green Tea, does it spoil the benefit?

(I am drinking one cup a day, but find it so bitter)

2. Super Chef profile image60
    Super Chefposted 13 years ago

This is a contraversial point as some people think that it does, while others say it doesn't affect the benefits at all. Personally I can't see why it should but you can replace the sugar with a good honey which also will have some beneficial qualities to it and this should balance it out.

3. telltale profile image59
    telltaleposted 13 years ago

I think it's bitter without sugar, is because the amount of tea leaves you put in the cup is more than the required quantity.  Try reducing the amount of tea leaves and you may find the taste better.  Good luck!

4. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 13 years ago

if you find green tea bitter, it generally means you are over brewing it, and/or using too hot water.  Normal, black, tea, ie fermented tea, needs boiling water to infuse properly. However, it is said that green tea is best using water that has gone off the boil for a few minutes; the tea Nazis say 85 degrees.  For gunpowder, I always let the kettle go off the boil for a couple of minutes and then brew for about 1 1/2 mins, no more than 2 mins.  It never tastes bitter, just delicious and refreshing, I don't take sugar anyway.

5. Tatjana-Mihaela profile image49
    Tatjana-Mihaelaposted 13 years ago

Why would sugar spoil the benefit of Green Tea? If you are afraid of sugar (even if it is brown), use honey.
    One cup of Green Tea only has almost no benefit for health at all.

6. QueenStars profile image60
    QueenStarsposted 13 years ago

Don't worry; it doesn't destroy any health properties as sugar doesn't contain a high content of minerals.
    Some minerals don't go well together, such as calcium and iron, yet sugar is a pure condement, it won't have any effect.

Make sure you use a deep brown sugar, as it is significantly healthier than sweetner or white sugar.
    Also; white tea (I think it's the root of green tea?) is even better health wise then green, yet it's ten times more bitter.

7. livingsta profile image93
    livingstaposted 13 years ago

there is nothing wrong with adding sugar to green tea when drinking, but sugar contains calories, and by adding sugar you are ingesting non-nutritional calories. If you are using green tea for weight loss purposes, then give it a thought !

You can add 1/2 sugar or try adding little honey to make it sweet. Also calorie count depends on what you eat totally, as long as you do not go over the maximum daily allowance

8. angel115707 profile image59
    angel115707posted 13 years ago

Sugar feeds candida a yeast problem most of us in the past 100 years are born with dut to poor diets, don't do it!!! Use Stevia, I love Truvia stevia, its great flavor for the price, and Stevia alkalizes your body, just like green tea, so it is actually beneficial where as sugar acidifies your body and feeds yeast, and free radicals!!!! alot of these answers are obviously by people who don't know a think about natural health and healing!!!

1. profile image49
      Calmyogiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Everyone else's answers appear to be more thought out, and educated than yours..... That's my opinion.

2. bobby87 profile image58
      bobby87posted 10 years agoin reply to this

u gave me a direction not to use sugar with a good explanation. Ill research about the stevia part. so do you know the combo of honey and green tea??

9. wearing well profile image74
    wearing wellposted 13 years ago

You will still get the antioxidant benefits from the Green Tea;however I have a sweet tooth and repace sugar with honey instead,it will take the bitterness away and has health benefits too smile

10. profile image52
    bbqwaltposted 13 years ago

Try Agave Nectar a low glycemic sweetener.  Stevia or sweet leaf not bad but you may need the Agave to take the edge off.  "Sun Crystals" is a product with sugar and stevia and only has five calories per packet. Both are natural without artificial sweeteners.

11. profile image0
    Marie-AnneLeClercposted 12 years ago

No though it would raise your calorie intake.

12. Nadeeshan301 profile image67
    Nadeeshan301posted 12 years ago

I believe there is no harm adding sugar to green tea. The main chemical compunds with benefits for health in green tea are caffeine and theanine. Caffeine being a phosphodiesterase inhibitor brings about most of the effects related to cholestrol and is beneficial in the long run. Theanine boosts up the cognitive effects for a short period of time providing you with relaxation as well as alertness at the same time. Both these chemicals are not affected by sugar.
    Addition of sugar is critisized because intake of sugar is anyway not a healthy practise. Sugar is converted very quickly in to glucose and fructose in the bowel and is absorbed rapidly. So it may adversely affect the control of a diabetic and may at the same time exrert additional stress on the pancreas in a non-diabetic. That is why it is said addition of sugar decreases the benefit.

13. profile image0
    Rosemary Banksposted 12 years ago

I'm sure it does, I would use honey that seems to do the trick.

14. nabeelplus profile image60
    nabeelplusposted 12 years ago

it depends ...if you are taking green tea for losing weight obviously it will be useless...but if taking for other purposes than it wont.

15. dipsmi profile image65
    dipsmiposted 12 years ago

as far as i know,it does...but adding little bit sugar won't be that bad!

16. Tiger Mom profile image60
    Tiger Momposted 12 years ago

Adding sugar, honey, milk, or cream does not affect the antioxidant benefits whatsoever.  Try green mint tea for a less bitter taste.

17. LaniK profile image60
    LaniKposted 12 years ago

You're still getting the benefit of green tea, even though you're adding the effects of sugar.  I suppose it's a double-edged sword.

18. Andme26 profile image63
    Andme26posted 12 years ago

No  effect what so ever smile it will not spoil the effect of green tea but it will give you the sugar benefits too:P

19. Sottway profile image68
    Sottwayposted 12 years ago

You'd still get all the benefits of green tea with or without sugar.

20. conradofontanilla profile image66
    conradofontanillaposted 11 years ago

It depends on the kind of sugar to use. Refined sugar depletes chromium which binds insulin to insulin receptor of the cell thus facilitate entry of glucose. It results in control of blood sugar for diabetics type 2. Brown sugar is better. Honey is fructose that has a lower glycemic index than table sugar. Fructose does not result in sugar spike because it must be converted first to glucose in which case changes in blood sugar is not abrupt. Coconut sugar from the sap of coconut fruit peduncle is fructose; the Philippines exports coconut sugar.
    I have HUbs on how to counter hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and why insulin needs chromium to treat diabetes type 2.

21. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 10 years ago

I don´t think so as long as you don´t use a lot of sugar on it. I drink green tea without sugar and it´s fine for me.

22. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

i tried adding 1 tsp sugar into green tea, does taste sweet but doesn't feel the benefit. Green tea suppose to taste bitter to flush out toxins in your body. So, stay green instead.

23. monia saad profile image60
    monia saadposted 8 years ago

I know it seems difficult without sugar. But if you want advice. Some time afford to drink green tea without sugar and eventually will get used to it and will have a

better effect. Regardless of how it sugar from high prices, but it also causes a lot of health problems. I wish you good luck

24. Kristen Howe profile image88
    Kristen Howeposted 8 years ago

I add a scoop to my iced or hot tea, whether it's green tea or any other tea. I don't think it'll spoil the benefit when it's even sweeter. Give it a try!

25. Lori P. profile image71
    Lori P.posted 8 years ago

Japanese green tea is bitter which is why the Japanese serve it with wagashi, or sweets, that tend to be super sugary. I have gotten used to the flavor of green tea but it still gets overly bitter if made with water that is too hot or if seeped for too long.

Sugar will not diminish the benefits of the tea (antioxidants, caffeine) but sugar brings health risks of its own. Try sweetening with natural honey or agave syrup. Or even some fresh fruit slices.

26. roselinsojan profile image60
    roselinsojanposted 7 years ago

I think it is because the amount of tea leaves you put in the cup is high. it is bitter without sugar, so put only half tea spoon sugar or it will spoil the taste.

27. StephanieWeemhoff profile image63
    StephanieWeemhoffposted 7 years ago

Green tea is full of cancer-fighting antioxidants. Adding sugar will not diminish the effect, but it will cause any problem that sugar normally does (ie. cavities and tooth decay, adding pounds,etc.)

28. profile image48
    hema67posted 7 years ago

Adding sugar or honey may be seen as a necessity because the green tea tastes bitter or bland on its own. Green tea that tastes wrong tends to be low in benefits, as flavorful green loose-leaf tea is more likely to contain high concentrations of theanine (which has a unami taste) and catechins .

http://www.rationaltechnologies.com/

29. Blue241 profile image59
    Blue241posted 7 years ago

Colombian style: Slice a lime and put it in. Delicious. To answer your question. No, it would just add sweetness.

30. Happylovejoy profile image91
    Happylovejoyposted 7 years ago

I don't think it will spoil the benefits but sugar itself is pretty harmful. It's been increasingly labeled as the new food villain..causing many problems from heart disease, diabetes and some even say cancer. So I would advise not to take unnecessary sugar whenever possible. You can refer to the article below for the harmful effects of sugar.

https://authoritynutrition.com/10-distu … ar-is-bad/

31. x3happy profile image61
    x3happyposted 7 years ago

If you must use sugar,I would use just a little. Have you tried stevia. I use it all the time. You might want to try it  once to see if you like it..  Now stevia is not the only sugar substitute there is a coconut sugar substitute and a tropical fruit substitute that is natural and sweet.

32. Down South Mama profile image80
    Down South Mamaposted 6 years ago

I like honey in mine, but if it is bitter then you must be overstepping it I would think

33. Becky Callahan profile image83
    Becky Callahanposted 6 years ago

Sugar will not spoil the benefit, and if you can't handle the bitterness of the tea, then by all means add a spoonful. However, there's a better way to tone down the bitterness and add some benefits.

A research study suggested that squeezing citrus into your tea can really pump up the availability of certain antioxidants called catechins. This increase essentially gives that one cup a day an extra boost of healthiness. According to this study (done by Purdue University), lemon seems to be the most beneficial, followed by orange, lime and grapefruit juices.

34. JvicIndia profile image68
    JvicIndiaposted 6 years ago

It wont affect the efficiency of green tea. The antioxidants will be intact but sugar does add extra calories. If you add honey, its much better as its makes a very powerful antioxidant combination with green tea

35. profile image52
    kellyksposted 6 years ago

Yes surely it does spoil the benefit and purpose of consuming green tea. If you are drinking green tea for losing weight then you must be aware that sugar has got calories and which are not nutritious in nature. Though I know it is very difficult to consume green tea because of its bitter taste. You can try honey if you feel like. Well I have my green tea with lemon, honey, ginger and cinnamon so you may try and add things to make a good taste. You may also use cardamom powder and cumin seeds powder added into it. There are other options as well, you can use stevia as it has got extremely beneficial properties which of course sugar doesn’t have. Another option being agave syrup which is another beneficial thing. Also try to have some fruit extract or fruit slices put into it, like oranges, pineapple, cucumber etc.

36. profile image0
    FoldingOperatorposted 6 years ago

Nope. If anything cream would negate some effects. But sugar just gives it a sweeter taste with adding a little more energy to your cuppa!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)