What is your favourite quote and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Knowledge Ninja profile image60
    Knowledge Ninjaposted 13 years ago

What is your favourite quote and why?

2. The Suburban Poet profile image81
    The Suburban Poetposted 13 years ago

The one quote that I have carried with me for years is by John Mellencamp from the song Minutes to Memories:

"An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind"

It is so true and it has served me well. When I think about dread and how a lie no matter how small can fester, then I remember this quote and do what I have to do. Take my medicine so to speak.

As we've heard in politics "it's not the crime, it's the cover-up."

I believe people have a capacity to forgive and sometimes we underestimate that. We all feel judged by people yet sometimes we forget that they also forgive. You cannot be forgiven unless you ask and the best place to start is to admit what you have done....

3. BobbiRant profile image59
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

"When we are rejected, we should get down on our knees and thank God we've been saved from a fate worse than death." (from The Garden of Good and Evil)

I like it because being trapped in a bad relationship can be a fate worse than death.  So being rejected should not make us sad because that person was not responding to us no matter how much we love them.  We all deserve someone who adores us as we do them.
    Great question.

4. rotl profile image61
    rotlposted 13 years ago

"There is no comparison between that is which is lost by not succeeding and that which is lost by not trying." - Francis Bacon

These words inspire you to go for it and live your life to the fullest.

5. vicki simms profile image69
    vicki simmsposted 13 years ago

My favourite quote would have to be, "You need to die a few times before you can really live"
    This statement is very true and I believe every word of it!!!

6. profile image0
    Richard Stephenposted 13 years ago

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat". -- Theodore Roosevelt

This is my favorite because I had lived too much of my life timidly.  This quote reminds me it is better to fail trying than not to try at all.

7. m920621m profile image69
    m920621mposted 13 years ago

"I have missed more than 9000 shots, lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I SUCCEEDED." -Michael Jordan.

This is my way of life. I read this quote with tears in my eyes. It makes me angry, it makes me furious. It makes me feel like I can do anything sweeping away all the obstacles in my way. Whenever I feel down, this quote gives me faith, gives me strenght. Thank you Michael for those wonderful words!

8. Sue Bond profile image68
    Sue Bondposted 13 years ago

Just one favourite quote?!   Mine tend to change depending on what is happening in my life. 

Here's one I have posted near my computer:

"Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls."
    - Joseph Campbell

It reminds me to go where my inspired energy wants to go and to trust the universe to show the how (ie the doors...)

9. sugz profile image68
    sugzposted 13 years ago

i have a few fav's... the main one is the one i wrote last year..

"I'm never alone as long as I am around.." © SUGZ 2009

many people can't understand it, but those who can will relate to it well... an those who don't.. will when they realise it happens.

another is by Dr Seuss..

Be who you are,
    Say what you think
    Because those who mind don't matter
    And those who matter, don't mind.

an the 3rd is on one of my t shirts...

Live Life Like Ya Mean It!

So damn true!

10. profile image0
    erickcbposted 13 years ago

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow, Learn as if you were to live forever." -Gandhi

If you believe you only have one life to live, this quote can inspire you to live it to the fullest. It certainly inspired me.

11. lostdogrwd profile image60
    lostdogrwdposted 13 years ago

people who give up civil liberty  for security will get neither, its the United States today.

12. skgrao profile image66
    skgraoposted 13 years ago

" Work is Worship ". -  by Sir.M.Visweswaraiah.Engineer of the World.

13. PAPA-BEAR profile image59
    PAPA-BEARposted 13 years ago

Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be.  Robert Browning

It is simple in its message, easily recalled, at the same time it is not lonely but sharing caring and turning a pessimist into an optimist

14. profile image0
    Antoine Van Hoveposted 13 years ago

“Believe nothing,

no matter where you read it

or who has said it,

not even if I have said it,

unless it agrees with your own reason

and your own common sense.”

Buddha

Because this is total freedom!

15. pennyofheaven profile image80
    pennyofheavenposted 13 years ago

I can't remember where I have read or heard this one...

Love is all...

Because all is love...

16. tuscun profile image61
    tuscunposted 13 years ago

"One can`t learn how to want" 

This is something an old teacher told us. It sounds a lot better in my language.. The meaning is very, very profound..

17. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f--ing khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world" Tyler Durden, Fight Club.
    Deep.

18. profile image52
    Spaces201posted 12 years ago

The very first thing to do is understanding to control your feelings. Also , you don’t have to overlook your feelings, but don’t let the feelings control your selections. This can result in wrong choices and serious errors. Another factor you need to do would be to alter your attitude for the changes. Simply ask yourself - is that specific alter an opportunity or an obstruction?

http://www.quotesaboutchanges.com/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)