Impressions and Clicks!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Louie Jerome profile image59
    Louie Jeromeposted 15 years ago

I have been a bit puzzled about the way Google Adsense pays. There is reference to page impressions and clicks. I know that clicks get paid for at various rates, but I am not sure about impressions. Does the number of page impressions bring in any revenue. For example, some of my articles get hundreds of impressions but no clicks.  Can anyone clarify this please?

1. jyuva profile image58
      jyuvaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think we don't get paid for impressions.big_smile

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
        JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we get paid for page impressions as wel as clicks on google ads.It is equa for all page impressions counted on the basis of 1000 clicks but varied for ads.

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now I am SURE you are MORE confused than you were before asking this question.

Now read what I am going to tell you very carefully.

You get paid for clicks and impressions both!
      There is no need to complete 1000 impressions to receive any revenue. Even 10 impressions can pay you a cent depending on how many Pay per impressions ads are being displayed and what are the bids.

I am astonished to read how some experienced hubbers don't know about impressions, clicks and earnings.

3. Fiction Teller profile image61
      Fiction Tellerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some ads are paid for on an impression basis...and they tend to be low-paying.  Check your AdSense account every so often and you'll see a $0.01 accrual here and there with no click associated...that's probably an impression-based ad.  Some publishers reputedly do make money with impression-based ads, but not many, and you need LOTS of impressions--like in the hundreds of thousands or millions.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71

Rite, but people don't seem to get this and are confusing the poor lady.

2. weblog profile image58
    weblogposted 15 years ago

We get paid for every 1,000 impressions. But, I think it is comparatively low. Clicks pay better.

1. Inspirepub profile image72
      Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No, we don't get paid per 1000 impressions at all - that number (eCPM) is an ESTIMATE of the CLICK REVENUE we would earn if we had 1000 visitors doing what our current day's or week's visitors are doing.

There is NO PAYMENT for impressions with Adsense. NONE. AT ALL.

We only make money from clicks. Period.

Jenny

3. Louie Jerome profile image59
    Louie Jeromeposted 15 years ago

So, if we market our hubs and generate thousands and thousands of page impressions Adsense only pays for clicks. That means that it is makes more sense to spend time carefully tailoring hubs to Adsense adverts that people might click on, rather than spending time marketing and promoting the hubs. Or have i got it wrong?

1. Inspirepub profile image72

All tailoring of ad positions is done by HubPages.

What you need to do is choose popular topics with high-priced clicks, write good quality Hubs, and then market them like crazy.

There is no point in having the perfect Hub that only the spiders ever visit - that won't make you much money. Traffic is king - given that you chose your topic well in the first place.

Jenny

2. Fiction Teller profile image61

That's right--promotion really does very little for your overall earnings, in most cases.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ideally you should do both.  But you're on the right track, IMO. Apparently Hubs full of half-naked Indian starlets get masses of traffic but because readers are coming to look at pictures, not to buy something, they make almost no money.

If you write about subjects which attract readers looking to solve a problem or buy a product, those readers are more likely to click on the ads and therefore have better earnings potential.

Obviously, if you then market that Hub, you're going to get more readers and therefore more potential sales. However, I have to say I don't do much marketing and some of my Hubs convert very well indeed.

4. profile image48
    aashishsahrawatposted 15 years ago

I would like to tell about that adsense publisher would money for his 1000 ads view and as well as click per rate over there. means if you got 1200 impression and 24 clicks then you would be paid for both 1000 impression as well as 24 clicks. and best revenue i your CTR means clicks through rate should be more than 20%.

5. gogetter profile image61
    gogetterposted 15 years ago

I have another question - do you get paid more per click if that click converts to a sale?

1. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

The amount we get paid per click depends on how much the publisher wants google to pay, I believe. I want to say that there's a set payment per click, until the publisher changes that. The publisher being the website that the click leads the person to. If the click leads to a sell, that doesn't affect how much you got for that click. Unless the click was a click on an ebay or amazon capsule in which the person buys something.

2. Inspirepub profile image72

Not by Adsense. A click is a click to Adsense.

Jenny

1. krishnanz profile image60
        krishnanzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Adsense pays for impression also but very low per 1000 impressions,may be 1 to 2$.
        bur thw click value based on bids by advertisers,varies from .03 to 1$ may be more accor to your site content,rank,keywords etc.
        i just found a program that pays .01 for each impression.
        plz check it
        http://blogpoweron.blogspot.com/2009/08 … ogram.html

To make clear about google pays for impressn check below this is from google
        Site-targeted ads allow an advertiser to select the specific sites they feel are most appropriate to their campaign, and run their ads only on those sites. This allows access to web pages that may not be keyword relevant, but that attract a highly relevant audience for their message.

Site-targeted ads are also pay-per-impression ads - each time an ad is served, the advertiser pays their preselected amount, and Google shares this payment with the publisher on whose page the ad was served. So, unlike the pay-per-click ads to which you’ve become accustomed, you’ll be paid for simply displaying these ads on your pages.

We provide separate reporting for site-targeted ads and contextually-targeted ads, so you’ll know whether site-targeted ads are appearing on your pages.

2. Fiction Teller profile image61

In the short term, that's true.  In the long term, publishers do get paid more (or less) based on how often the traffic they send to advertisers' websites convert. 

Advertisers can see where their clicks are coming from.  They can go to your Web page and decide based on your page and conversion stats whether they want their ad shown on your page or not. If they opt out of your page, because it's not bringing them real business, you'll get paid less, because the competition is less.

Aside from this, I think Google periodically assesses some publishers' stats to see what the conversions are.  If they are bad, publishers can get "smart-priced," which means they get paid much less per click.  Smart pricing is used as a selling point on Google's help pages for advertisers to reassure them they won't be paying for tons of junk clicks.

If you think about it, the whole system makes sense and keeps the income coming in for publishers.  Advertiser money is where publishers (we Hubbers) and Google make their money.  Advertisers' budgets are not infinite.  Their money is based on money from their customers--customers who find them via publishers' pages and click on the ads. 

The click-based system only works in the long-term if it's profitable for advertisers.  Yes, publishers' profits are important in this system, but not as important as the profits of the advertisers, who literally pay the money.  It's only affordable for advertisers if they actually succeed with their campaigns.

That's the long answer to your question. Basically--yes, you want to make sure you're not tricking the visitor into clicking or getting the visitor to click "just for information purposes" or using social bookmarketing to get traffic.  This all brings down your conversion rate and hurts your income in the long term, even if in the short-term you may experience an income boost.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71

Yeah, and those publishers whose clicks don't convert, get smart priced. Which means they will earn a very low amount per click.

6. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

In other words Adsense pays for the click but Ebay/Amazon only pays if the click results in a sale (you then get a percentage of the value of the items bought).

7. World Marketing profile image39
    World Marketingposted 14 years ago

i think it has to be more than one thousand impressions in order to get paid, clicks are way more profitable

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)