Should we blame Single Mums for Child Obesity?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 13 years ago

Should we blame Single Mums for Child Obesity?

Society seems to be putting the blame on them.

2. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 13 years ago

Sorry, I meant to write "Working Mums" but Hubpages doesn't give the option to edit or close questions posted.

3. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Ah, okay, working moms makes more sense smile. I'm guessing that the reason that's a theory is that working moms are more likely to serve up pre-packaged or ready-to-eat food than to prepare a "good wholesome home-cooked meal." Frankly, I say no, they're not to blame.

Society as a whole has gotten way too used to huge portion sizes of very unhealthy food, and many parents simply feed their kids the way they were raised. Others mistakenly believe that healthy food is too expensive for them. Some don't know how to cook, so they're more likely to buy preservative-filled ready-made stuff. Getting away from food, some parents are very lenient about the time spent in sedentary pursuits (i.e. video games and the internet), while others don't live in areas where it's safe to let their kids go run crazy outside. I could go on and on listing various childhood obesity factors, but the long and short of it is that there are many many different factors that transcend race, gender, socio-economic status, family structure etc., and to try to blame any one factor or group of people is, I believe, very incorrect.

4. PR Morgan profile image59
    PR Morganposted 13 years ago

I think any parent should feel responsible for an obese child.  A parent should set the parameters for healthy eating for a child.  The only reason I would not blame the parent is if the obesity is due to other health factors beyond their control.

5. AustralianNappies profile image78
    AustralianNappiesposted 13 years ago

No. Whether a parent works or not there's no excuse for not having their child in a sports program of some sort of a weekend or after hours or in school.

6. profile image56
    rieomposted 13 years ago

Working moms do takeout or fast food at least one to two times a week.  This is because they have it all (not really) and rfin themselves in a postion that forces them to work full-time while raising a family.

7. Enigmatic Me profile image79
    Enigmatic Meposted 13 years ago

This is a serious question??
    The answer is No. Serious answer.

How many single parent children do you think are out there??

There is a LACK of Education...with the question as well as the realities in the US. Portion sizes since the turn of the 19th century have grown exponentially (meaning over and over and over), the actual size of the food has as well. Being educated on the need for physical activity and healthy menus should curb obesity. However, it needs to be GOVERNMENT Sanctioned. Meaning, the government needs to step in with legislation prohibiting supersized portions. People should be able to live by the motto"Everything in moderation"but we don't. Individuals need help with this. Thus why it should be the government to govern this.

For instance the USA pushes Denny's and IHOP and all those buffet styled restaurants so hard that parents (single or not) who are not making much money (which is quite a few families when you look at the poverty level in the US) have little choice when it comes to 'treating your family".

My folks went to Florida in 2001. They ended up at Denny's 3 times in 8 days. Did they over eat. No. They were responsible with what they ate. However, sitting next to them was a family (mom,dad and son).The son was less then 3 yrs old. The mom went and piled 3 plates,all equally filled, and placed them in front of the three of them. The little boy could not fit in a high chair,nor did his clothing allow for much movement. He was expected to finish his plate  like his parents had.   The Mother berated (yelled and screamed) at this child because he would be wasting their money if he didn't finish his plate??? Child abuse?Neglect?

The perception of what is cheap is good needs to go out the window. Food producers need to make raw product more accessible and affordable. Again an area where the government could come in.And there needs to be more education for parents and children about the negative impacts of over eating,not exercising, and only eating take out.   

But to seriously blame a single mom for All the Obesity in the US....that's just ridiculous.

8. ChristineVianello profile image60
    ChristineVianelloposted 13 years ago

Sometime on Maury he shows obese children with there mothers who want them to be big. I seen a mother who gave her little boy pounds and pounds of McDonalds! It was insane to watch. Some children are obese from there genetics, and they eat very well.

9. biman_r profile image68
    biman_rposted 13 years ago

I don't think its their fault sometimes its just caused due to genetic reasons also so there is no way we can just blame or hold a working mother accountable for something like this.

10. SheZoe profile image69
    SheZoeposted 13 years ago

no, we should put the blame on all the synthetic "food" we eat now. the poorest of us are forced to feed their families what is essentially a hodge podge of unhealthy chemicals, additives, preservatives, fats and sugars with little or no nutritional value. healthy food costs more. takes longer to prepare and working moms don't have several hours to spend making dinner. they are tired, overworked, and doing their best. i blame the food production industries yikes)

11. profile image0
    ellie.wposted 13 years ago

Definitely not.  There are way too many obese people in the US to be blaming it on one demographic group!  Like others have said, I think general parenting, portion size, poor education, and lack of physical activity all contribute more.  What ever happened to kids running around in the neighborhood, playing tag, riding bikes, and playing sports?

12. Monisajda profile image61
    Monisajdaposted 13 years ago

I don't think single moms should be blamed at all. They usually do the best they can in given circumstances. I blame the ignorance of people who don't know what damage fatty sugary fried foods do to your body. I know that when you are working there is no time to cook and prep the food but there are less healthy and more healthy snacks still.

13. Celiegirl profile image61
    Celiegirlposted 13 years ago

Well, who else is too blame? Barring genetic /medical problems, what else is there? We as parents influence what our children eat the majority of their lives starting when they are babies!
    We purchase the groceries and introduce them to the foods that they choose to eat.
    Single mother, working mother, any mother or parent has to take responsibility, as a caring parent. We make the decision, not the child about their health, and the risks that come with eating the wrong foods.
    We introduce them to activities or push them into sports that round them out as individuals, but it also makes them healthy.
    We make the choices for them first, then give them the freedom to make their own choices! It takes discipline - i know i have been there!

14. platinumOwl4 profile image73
    platinumOwl4posted 13 years ago

This is an extremely complicated question. On the one hand it is easy to blame the mom. On the other hand food companies market quick meals that are not  healthy. These meals are made available at a price that is enticing to a single mom with limited resources.Therefore, prior pointing a finger multiple variables should receive in depth exploration.

15. KAYKAYKAYLA profile image40
    KAYKAYKAYLAposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't blame just single moms it's really not their fault. I would say that families really don't have the time to sit down and actually have a real meal more often. Because of the way that things are now where mothers have to go out and get jobs so her family of four can survie. So, that being said its just easier to drive through the burger king or have a pizza dropped off. Single mothers aren't to blame our economy is, thats just my opinion.

16. profile image53
    Angel1778blsposted 13 years ago

No. they do what they can. we can't help it if children get out of hand sometimes.

17. DaveysRecipeRead profile image61
    DaveysRecipeReadposted 13 years ago

Most fat kids have 2 parents, a mom and a dad who aren't paying attention to their kids weight (because they often don't pay attention to their own weight). There's usually less money for junk food available to the kid being raised by a sole parent, more expectation on the kid from the sole parent (that rules are followed, for example) and lots more responsibility than expected of kids with stay at home moms.
    There are lots of real Gilbert Grapes in the world and like Johnny Depp they aren't fat.
    Also lots of todays pre-packaged foods are made without the eggs, cream and/or butter and fats that are otherwise used in homes across the world by mums who cook. They are actually less fat.

18. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

i've never heard that before. i know families that have obese kids that have both moms and dads .

19. joshhunt83 profile image59
    joshhunt83posted 13 years ago

I don't think you can simply blame single mums. Western culture creates this mass consuming ideal, that is surely more to blame.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)