How long before the myth that god exists becomes nothing more then a tale?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (25 posts)
  1. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

How long before the myth that god exists becomes nothing more then a tale?

people more and more are realising how silly religion and god beliefs are but how much longer before it is considered to be a myth by most everyone?

2. akuigla profile image60
    akuiglaposted 13 years ago

It is obvious that you dont believe in God.
    Too bad for you.
    Maybe you believe but dont know that yet.
    If serious problem occur in your life, than your faith will be deeply tested.

3. ryancarter profile image59
    ryancarterposted 13 years ago

Semantics, my friend, semantics.  The "myth" that God exists IS nothing more than a tale, told around the atheists' dinner tables. 

The "truth" that God exists is told around the believers' tables, with equal reckless abandon. 

The "joke" that WE exist is probably being told around countless aliens' dinner tables.

A better question is "How long before religious-nut-atheists stop wasting all their time trying to disprove something they don't believe in?"

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure where you get your facts on what "people" are doing.  But I don't believe everyone will move in that direction.  I think my question is why do atheists spend so much time mocking our beliefs?  Isn't diversity a good thing? 

You are free to be an atheist, yes? I would not mock you, it is unkind and I respect your right to believe or not.

May we have the same courtesy?

5. Roger Rabbit profile image61
    Roger Rabbitposted 13 years ago

You guys really don't believe in Zeus ? Man He is so totally going to send Aries down here. Somebody call Lucy Lawless!

6. David R Bradley profile image81
    David R Bradleyposted 13 years ago

I'll answer you question on one condition.  If you're ever in a situation where your life is threatened and you have the time necessary to contemplate the "myth" of God, please do so...  Or perhaps you'll be too busy PRAYING!

You're right, religion is silly and much of the stories about God are written in myth form.  From the Bible to the Koran to the Book of Morman and the Bhagvad Geeta.  The purpose of these myths are to gain a deeper understanding of the mysteries of God.  Jesus told many "myths" which Christians refer to as parables.  Greeks and Romans had stories and legends of the gods.  Santa Clause anyone?

My advice to you is to not try to quantify God, but instead get to know God in the most personal way possible.  Consider the very beating of your heart.  When and how did it start beating?  Then delve into the musculature of heart tissue all the way to the "force" that keeps the cells and tissue together.  Sooner or later you'll run out of "science" and you're back to the moment where you look at a sunset over the ocean and the stars at night and realize you're blessed to a be a very small part of this wonderful creation.  Who created it is up to you, but I promise you this, someone's running the show up there...

7. CARIBQUEEN profile image64
    CARIBQUEENposted 13 years ago

It is amazing that you are so concerned about God and what other people believe. Since you have labelled it as 'silly', you should not let it bother you at all. You need to live your life without even wondering what other people are doing with their lives. Let them be and move on.

8. bdn9385 profile image59
    bdn9385posted 13 years ago

Evolution has no answer. Surprisingly, the scripture have. After many are marked with the mark of the beast, inevitably, since no one can trade without it, and after persecution of the elect increases, then shall the love of many grows cold. At that time, many will abandon the myth that God exists and put their faith unto the beast instead. At that time, evolution as further evolved by its true author shall win, as granted. For how long? No human can tell. But ask evolution to grant you enough patience to wait for that day. It surely will come. I, alone have no answer to that question. Sorry for that. Peace... smile

9. vrbmft profile image73
    vrbmftposted 13 years ago

When I looked into my friend's face, there was something there, I could not quite put my finger on or define with words.  The look took my breath away.  I finally said, "What is that look?"  My friend replied, "I love you."

In all my 65 years, I had never seen that particular look before.  I have spent many hours learning about the way my brain works.  Daniel Siegle, by the way, (Parenting From The Inside Out) maps out scientific evidence that our mind exists separate from our brain, which is interesting coming from a scientist.  Well, my experience of being loved touched me some place beyond my brain.  I would call the experience an experience of my soul.  A sense of connection and commitment to this person was instantaneous.  It was not taking me back to teenage years or puppy love.  For me, it was the most tangible experience in my life of God.  This experience did not happen in a church or in the context of religion.  It was not a silly experience but perhaps a mythological experience in that myths are stories that attempt to tell us something of the truths of life that seem to dance around us, tantalizing us to make sense out of them.

There is a realm of the mysterious which we can sluff off as nonsense, ignore as too phenomenological, irrational, beyond logic, whatever, but quantum physics seems to tell us that the mysterious is an important part of reality.  As is free will.

Anywho, God doesn't seem to be going anywhere that I can see and unfortunately God gets blamed for all kinds of sh*t, but the bottom line is we all come in contact with God each and every moment whether we recognize or believe in God or not.  This very forum seems to be a testimony to that.

10. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

As long as people can look up at a star-filled sky, or see a colorful fish swimming against the coral, or witness a meadow filled with flowers and know that THEY DIDN'T MAKE THEM, they will believe that some power that they don't understand did.   The name we commonly give to that unknown is God.

Of course, if you think there is no personal god in your life, then there'd probably won't be.   As Dr. Wayne W Dyer so applly put it in his book title:   'You'll See It When You Believe It.'    It doesn't happen the other way round.

11. profile image52
    PerthEposted 13 years ago

If you don't believe that there is a God, then you have succumbed to the greatest salespitch  of all time, delivered by the god of this world, who is Satan the devil. People believe the devil is a myth as well. It is one of the greatest cons ever. Evil rules this world because it is the time of the devil. Whether you believe it or not does not negate the existence of the thing. People didn't believe the earth was round at one point, either. Oops.

12. Billrrrr profile image86
    Billrrrrposted 13 years ago

Your question is a fair one although you fail to understand that a myth is a tale.

Belief in God is nothing more than just that - belief.

If one has a belief and that belief helps them in life, how can this be silly?

While we can debate the existence of a God, we cannot deny that benefits often accrue to the believers.

It is all part of the human condition and we all must wait for the surprise that comes at the end of life.

What does come, after the heart has beat its last?

It might just be the best sleep you have ever had.

13. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

david r bradley. i'll take you up on your offer. 3 times in my life i was in a position where death was staring me in the eye and i promise i never prayed or called on a god to save me. i used my head and saved myself 2 of the times and 1 time a couple of friends saved me with dire results for the others. i love how religious people think an athiest will pray if they are in a bad situation, that's called television bud. your advise is humorous to say the least. even if there was a god i'd wouldn't worship him under any conditions because i'm not a sheep. worshipping something that lets innocent kids be born deformed or basically brain dead is nothing short of an insult to humans. you go ahead and pray to a myth and i'll stick to helping people out from my own goodness . thanks anyway. hyphenbird, surely you jest. this end of days senario has been played for centuries and will continue to be played for centuries to come. you bow down bud but don't try to say that everyone will because you have no idea what your talking about. let me guess , you believe that dec.21 2012 we all end right?

14. loua profile image60
    louaposted 13 years ago

How long before the myth that god exists becomes nothing more than a tale?
    asked by nightwork4

"When everyone ceases the desire to articulate all the pet names (metaphors) used for the ones they love, esteem and admire; then the name of God will be erased from the acclaims and from one's consciousness ~ this will be the day when the Praise of God will rest in the ashes of humanity's grave..." 

God is not a myth; God always was and will be simply because "God" is the metaphorical moniker for the force which propels existence...  The names for the All of our existence-form describes the universe as a metaphorical expression for the matter, mass and energy, simply because every thing is about the expression, form and function of one singular congruent nature... 

All words express the form and function of one consciousness, thought and being as all words, thoughts and deeds are one thing, the form of some expression and function; and that Being is God, the sum of all the existence-mass in its universe composed of all the possible sub universes ~ you get the picture, go as big and different as you like, at the end of the day God is the summation of all the wildest dreams not just yours; but you do add to the mix and also subtract from the mix your brand of thought, deed and endeavor brings to the table of iterations, probabilities and permutations which might take place...

15. thehemu profile image63
    thehemuposted 13 years ago

i do believe over god existence but dont know in which form he exists. Just by reciting his name, there is someone backing me up, if anything goes wrong he is there to show me the light.

:-)

16. Born Again 05 profile image78
    Born Again 05posted 13 years ago

I'll let God speak for Himself!  Jesus speaking in Matthew 24:35, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away."  You and I will be long gone and the Gospel will continue to go forth!

17. Mandrake_1975 profile image85
    Mandrake_1975posted 13 years ago

The concept of God will never disappear from the Earth as long as there are ontological questions that are unanswered.  Currently, science is unable to answer the ontological questions and it is likely that it will always be insufficient in that area as science is not the end-all-be-all of all.  It is simply a system created by man as a means to understand himself and his environment.

18. virtualvoid profile image58
    virtualvoidposted 13 years ago

The tale is the way people think he exists, and not the existence at all...

God is the Universe. His "wishes" are the laws the rule the universe.

I Think it will be needed at least more 2000 years untill all people over the earth can really understand this...

19. OriginArtz profile image61
    OriginArtzposted 13 years ago

If the world realized that religion and god beliefs are silly, that's why there's a lot of disaster happening this days. Believing in god can make a person better and god is 100 % not a myth. Regardless of what people say, I believe in GOD and I will believe in God for a long time.

20. Fix Computers profile image60
    Fix Computersposted 13 years ago

5000 years according to the late great Arthur C Clarke.

21. IGiveInformation profile image63
    IGiveInformationposted 13 years ago

In 2012 the myth will end so will humanity. wink

22. profile image0
    DaveLawrenceMusicposted 13 years ago

What you call a "myth" that God exists has been around for THOUSANDS of years.  So even if you are correct and He doesn't exist, it doesn't look like the "myth" is going away anytime soon.

But don't you think you should ask the question of, "if there are many people in the world who are trying to prove the non-existence of God, why after these thousands of years have they not been able to prove/convince many of that fact?

God exists whether you would like Him to or not.....the good news is He loves you to.

23. zuriki profile image61
    zurikiposted 13 years ago

Since we were born, our hearts have continually ticked, and there is an awesome and mysterious being who is behind this ticking and he holds each one's life in his hand. Its not the alarm that wakes u up each morning, its God. Yeah! U may think one can save himself from death by thinking and not praying......the fact is the purpose you were created for, has not been fulfilled and till you accomplish the purpose that God created you for, you cannot die......tho many dont believe in Him, God loves us all in equal measures.

24. kevin.howell profile image71
    kevin.howellposted 13 years ago

I suppose it would have to be a myth.  If someone really disbelieves, why spend so much time worrying about it.

25. The Ski profile image73
    The Skiposted 13 years ago

The question is very general. What is God to one person or culture may not be to another.
    Religion in general is not really silly. Most religions preach goodness and kindness to fellow man, so isn't silly so to speak. It is more the religious zealots that give religion in general a bad name.

Only once we prove how the universe began other than the way the bible describes it....only then will religion be seen as a myth.
    Cheers
    The Ski

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)