To what extreme measures would you go through to prove a point?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)
  1. bellawritter23 profile image77
    bellawritter23posted 12 years ago

To what extreme measures would you go through to prove a point?

2. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 12 years ago

Depends on how important the point is.  When there is a "discussion" about an issue we need to stop, take a breath, and ask ourselves some questions about the importance of the matter and our motives.

No matter what the point is, even if it is very important, we need to maintain a high road.  Honesty, self-control, a realization that the other person/people may not be able to understand the importance of getting the concepts right, an understanding that the issue may need to be revisited when they cool down, or even that they may never understand what they need to understand.  No matter what, we don't want to degrade the issue by our behavior, especially if it is an important issue.

Your question makes me think of listening to the other person.  Are they so rabid about their viewpoint that they could be dishonest?  Are they defending themselves a little vehemently, indicating that they may feel guilty?  It's good to assess what we are dealing with in a discussion before we take it too far.  Lying is prevalent, but not always easy to detect so it nearly always has to be a consideration if a point needs to be made through extreme measures.

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 12 years ago

I agree with what RTalloni said , , ,and can only add or support with the statement - it depends. If it is a work situation and the task has to be accomplished I can say something off the cuff like "If you don't like the work, leave" or I can ask "is there a better way to accomplish the goal?" In social settings one has to dance much more sometimes with playful dueling - parry - jab - parry, parry, thrust, jab and so-on. Great hub Idea. Are you going to expand it further later?

4. Tamila Roberts profile image38
    Tamila Robertsposted 12 years ago

There is not really an extend of to where someone could go if they are really determined to prove that point. Considering they care about letting you know about it. It all depends how motivated and resourceful you are. Sometimes, it's proven to be difficult to achieve your point.

However, in most situations you can easily turn the tides of the conversation by making useful, clear, concise and positive comments.

Also, by using powerful words and by upgrading the length of your vocabulary it's possible to create more commotion. The facts must be however clearly established.

Remain honest with yourself and others to ensure better understanding. Realize that the other person might not be open or willing to consider your offer without facts.

5. Wayne Brown profile image79
    Wayne Brownposted 12 years ago

Much depends on the subject and mindset of the person or audience I am addressing. One must be careful that they are not put in a spot in which they are attempting to prove a negative...an impossible feat but easily possible in terms of the situation.  For example, if I ask a man if he was still beating his wife, and he answered "no", then we could assume that he has been beating her in the past which may not be true but without her testimony dang near impossible. You must ask yourself "what is the value of proving the point?"  Is it simply self-satisfaction?  Are you simply trying to prove the point that you can prove the point?  One thing for sure, any time you are proving the point, be sure you select the actual point on which to focus...in other words, they always say you should truly identify the problem before you work on the solution...the same holds true for proving the point...strip it down to what it is and what it is not and gain agreement in those areas before you put any real energy into the process.  If your audience is arguing for the sake of arguing and not really ready to receive any logic or proof...you time and energy is better spent on other projects.  WB

6. profile image52
    michelegoldsteinposted 12 years ago

No extreme measure for me. I speak my truth. I know I cannot make other people listen to me or believe what I believe.I can only be true to myself by sharing my beliefs, thoughts and feelings.

7. cmaddox profile image59
    cmaddoxposted 12 years ago

Depends on my passion of the subject matter or if I just "know" I'm right.

8. MichaelWriter profile image62
    MichaelWriterposted 12 years ago

Years ago I would've gone as far as I needed to in order to make a point. However, life has taught me that it really doesn't matter. It's not my job to teach others lessons ...until I have children.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)