Do you exist? Prove it, please.

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 78 discussions (251 posts)
  1. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/51248

pisean282311 wrote:

do you think god's value would remain if there are no humans..god needs human since humans can only pray , hope and believe..do you agree to this?

Paarsurrey wrote:

Do you exist? Prove it, please.

Please don't take it personal; it is just for the sake of argument.

Anybody could respond.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

*denote- my laughing and posting proves I exist. lol

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You mean he who laughs; he exists. So continue laughing please to add to your existence; the time you stop, you may lose your existence.

Nothing like making a completely foolish statement if I've ever heard one. My post was a joke, like this thread is actually.

I can prove I exist. Just become I am aware of my own life and your argument about a god being existence is a joke.

Just because people claim to believe in a god existence and others say that it doesn't exist, doesn't negate the conscious life effort required to post in this forum and your disrespectful nature, for which, caused you to post this pathetic thread deserves to be laughed at.

It is a prime example how irrational you think.

1. Diane Inside profile image70
            Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cags you causing trouble again? Shame, Shame, everybody knows your name. lol

Everyone knows Jesus' name too, even if they don't believe in him or anything about him....they still know his name.

And, your point being? I can only assume you meant it as a joke, so I'll leave it at that and say "HaHa". hmm

2. profile image51

So prove it, please.

Nice of you to strip apart my post.

It's fairly simple- human consciousness- the awareness of life I have proves I exist and the actions that which I take, leaves fingerprints that I am real, and that includes typing on this keyboard.

The pure and simple fact is you proved it as well, by responding to my post, because if I didn't exist, then you would have never had responded or even seen my post.

Again, your irrational thread proves you exist, as does every other post you've made. Nothing negates it.

Cags has a point, of course we all exist, the point of the question is mute.

Hey Diane,

Mute? Moot is more like it. lol

Yeah I wasn't sure of the spelling, sometimes I wish this had a spell checker. ha ha.

2. profile image51

That only reassures you; it does not prove to others that you exist. Does it?

What proves that you or I do not exist. Nothing, there is more proof that we exist.  We are here, we are communicating, we a tangible beings.  If we don't exist then what is the point of life at all.

Diane, if you didn't exist, you wouldn't have life, never mind a point being to life. lol

2. Cagsil profile image71

My actions prove I exist, because people can SEE them. Duh!

2. Jerami profile image60
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lets not jump to conclusions,  someone may be having you as a hallucination and due to some kind of contact hi or "sumtin" the hallucinations are having hallucinations.

3. Trichakra profile image59
        Trichakraposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You laughs and it means you exist?

2. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stand in front of my car while I'm doing 70 MPH.  I bet you won't need anymore proof than that.

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I reckon that is worth trying! smile

1. getitrite profile image72
          getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol I guess that kinda 'wrecks' this philosophical question lol

Perhaps the OP should be the one to try your little experiment? smile

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe this is the winner so far.

Yep.

3. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just extended the liberty of bodily flatulence.  I guarantee I exist now! smile

Yeh I know! The proof just got here. Whooooooooooeeeeeeeee!

1. goldenpath profile image68

Despite my disgust for the promotion of global warming I guess I just added to it, huh. smile  Watch out for the forest fires down there or down under.

Luckily it is winter, otherwise my onion soup may have become yet another cause of a forest fire. smile

1. goldenpath profile image68

Though onion soup is hideous and nature's way of saying "screw you" I can definitely see where this concoction would be quite useful as an alternative biofuel.  Jet fuel to be exact! smile

lol lol lol

4. profile image59
      Tazzy3613posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have to admit I'm indeed new to this and I'm finding this quite fasinating. The fact that someone posted to ask to prove if one exsit and then in turn is wanting or is expecting a answer is quite intriguing!

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Tazzy.

5. profile image0
      AKA Winstonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How can I prove anything to you when proof and truth are nothing but the latest winners of a television phone-in-and-vote-for-the-winner show? 

Existence must be defined.  Without definition it is meaningless.  To have a consistent and unambiguous definition, physics defines exist as that which has shape (an object) plus a location. 

My body has a shape and a location, so I can rationally explain that my body exists, but I can never prove I exist unless you are willing to believe by faith that it is so - or if you call in and vote yes for me.

1. profile image51

Hi friedn AKA Winston

Suppose your body is 6' feet tall; so you claim to exist as you have a shape and a location. It does not prove that you exist in all of your body wherever it is located. Beacause; one may lose say his right leg; will that person become incomplete man? So your right leg is superficial; even if you lose it you will still claim that you exist; you don't exist there.

Please therefore find out in which part of your body you really exist; where does your "you" reside, please?

Thanks

1. profile image0
          AKA Winstonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You don't understand your own question.  Existence has nothing to do with proof.  Existence is defined; proof is opinion. 

Existence depends on its definition - I use the physics definition that exist can only apply to physical objects, those things which have shape and a location. 

If you have a better definition that is not ambiguous and subjective then feel free to tell us all what that definition is.

1. profile image0
            jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i want to add paarsurrey,YOU don't exist. YOU live. you are made of matter, that exist will continue to exist. the perception of you is because of brain that perceives, which again is made of matter and the moment it stop functioning you DIE or your  "I" stops, but still the matter continues.....

6. Tom Cornett profile image82
      Tom Cornettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Send me $10,000.00 and I will send pics proving I exist in the Bahamas.  smile  Oh...Please enclose SASE.  smile

1. profile image51

So your existense is linked with dollors; if I don't send the dollors you cease to exist.

Thanks

1. the pink umbrella profile image75
          the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i have to say that this seriously takes the cake. Your comment about a man losing his leg, and being incomplete, well yea, he would be incomplete in comparrison to the majority of the population.

The thing is, he would exist, but his leg would also exist, until every part of it were to dissapear.

Do you mean exist as in be alive? Because they are two totally different questions. As long as something has matter, and can take up space, like AKA says, it exists. Just because your leg is gone, or even half of your body, does not mean that you yourself cease to take up space. Even if you were choped up into 1 inch cubes, the cubes would still exist...until they didnt. I get your thinking on this question, but at the same time, its not a very well thought out well presented question.

1. profile image51

exist in the sense alive

2. Tom Cornett profile image82
          Tom Cornettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was going to reply but I ceased existing because you didn't send the dollars.  So....you are not actually reading this post. Everybody else can see it but you can't because you unexisted me by not sending me dollars to vacation in the Bahamas. 
          Now...you have to prove I existed and became "unexisted"...which as a word does not exist.  smile

1. Lymond profile image85
            Lymondposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No no, you can't fool him into sending the dollars that way! I also need $10,000 to prove I exist! Unlike you, who doesn't exist, I still exist and therefore am a worthier cause for dollars!

On the other hand, do you need to see the sun now to be pretty certain that it'll be there tomorrow morning? inductive reasoning is a wonderful thing. paarsurrey how does failure to provide proof of something in existence now make it suddenly unexist?

7. Bimendra gun profile image60
      Bimendra gunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

may be

8. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can't "prove" your existence, but there is strong evidence for your existence that would make that a reasonable conclusion.

9. stilljustwonderin profile image58
      stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I just pinched myself and it hurt.  Does that mean I exist?  Wait a minute, feeling something isn't proof  that it exist.  So, I don't know.
      Can some body tell me?

10. all_time_guy profile image60
      all_time_guyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thats a nice question!
      There are lots of theories in sprituality about GOD created humans to entertain him, some says we are in a jail where we(sprits) have to go through different form of births and the only way out is from spritual gurus.

What i believes is " yes we exist". Its a very big topic, you can say when u r in a dream then you also exist. So its just the mind thing but for sure we exists.

1. profile image51

What is your main argument to be that sure?

The mind thing; how do you define it? Can you see it or recognize it?

Thanks

1. all_time_guy profile image60

Scientifically, we exists because we have a mass and volume.
          Spritually, we exists because we all knows there is a soul among us which we can feel when we got stuck in mind and soul fight. Like we saw a person in bad condition, mind: stay away frm him
                                                          soul: should definately help him.

The thing that we can think proves our existance because we are emmiting the thoughts which have some frequency and energy.
          Mind is nothing but source of thoughts.
          It is believed god created this universe by a thought.

1. profile image51

We have a brain and a heart; where does the mind reside in our body? Where does our ego "I, we" reside?

Science itself has no volume or mass; it consist of priciples that man has derived from our senses. We rely for our existence on a thing which itself has no mass or volume or spirit which we ourselves has produced over the period; does it not make a circular argument?

Thanks

mind is our conscious state which we build from the teachings we got through out our life from birth. When a child born, he don't knows how to eat but after practicing again n again he is able to eat properly, so basically the procedure of eating has settled into his subconscious mind. Similar is story with speaking or learning language. Conscious mind just works from the teachings settled in our subconscious mind. So, how you mould a child from birth will decide what he is going to do in future.
              Soul is different entity and indeed we lives because of soul.
              Soul contains the GOD material which exists but not in physical form. Thats why you need to meditate with help of a guru to see the GOD( again one of spritual theories)

I, we are thoughts of our mind. The word 'I' is very strong and takes a lot of life force out of you when you speaks it. It a different topic altogether.

Man is derived from the intelligence which is GOD. The same intelligence is in every living thing called soul. The intelligence is present in Zygote cell and has a full image of our full grown body or infant body. Similar is case with us, the image we sets in our mind, we transform it into physical form, again because of this god material.

2. profile image51

One does not exist only of mass and volume; when one dies the mass and volume is there but the man dies and ceases existing. One needs mass , volume and soul to exist.

I believes in science but i also knows GOD exists, it definately does.
              So, its true man has mass, volume and soul.

11. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I might exist, but I have no way of knowing if you exist so why would I waste my time proving my existance to something that doesn't exist?

1. profile image51

So you are not sure of your existence. But if you might exist; please give an argument

12. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am typing, therefore I exist... duh!

1. profile image51

Se, if you don't type; you don't exist. Do you type all the time?

Did we all just stop being when we stopped typing?

We all get the point you are trying to make parra, we just think it is a childish and somewhat stupid point to be making. smile

13. jay_kumar_07 profile image61
      jay_kumar_07posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi
      Iam exit now in my Body. I do not know at the time of my  sleeping time.
      Regards
      jay.

14. Mercredi profile image63
      Mercrediposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think a famous philosopher once said something like, "I drink a lot of coffee therefore I am." I drink even more coffee therefore I am and buzzing on caffeine. Amen.

1. profile image51

When you are not drinking coffee; are you dead then?

15. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well,  thank you very much.  That's just one more think to lay awake at night and worry about.

16. Kiss andTales profile image60
      Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

From the scriptures the true God existed way before humans were his created Idea , no he does not need humans , example you create a doll today, yesturday you existed without the doll
      The doll has no controll over you , you control actions with it. So he does not need anything from us we need everthing from him. Example if he stopped the rain. If he shut down the sun light, if he moved th. Moon and stars. If he stopped the oxygen to flow. Could we continue to thrive on planet earth? No things are organized just as a functioning house would need simlar tthings to function. There are to many things sitting in the right position that benifit us. And amazing all these things never fail us when humans fail many times in many things

17. Kiss andTales profile image60
      Kiss andTalesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I dont think God need humans , because he created other things before humans , the Angels , Animals , man arrived later but the Heavenly Father did not need them , it is a wonder gift as humans to exist , and remember if that was the case why would he clean the earth of humans from a flood and soon again .
      He has the power to create and he has the power to many things we could never imagin. The treasure of it all is the life he grants each human to live and see him in action as the many Angels appluad his magnificence in his work.
      What a great honor we will have to see him at work creating new things.

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 13 years ago

I hub, therefore I am.

1. profile image59
      Tazzy3613posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love this reply,talk about keeping it simple.wink

2. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree 100% If I am responding to this stupid, idiotic question I exist.

If you do not exist, prove it?

3. PhoenixV profile image65
      PhoenixVposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I disagree.

3. TruthDebater profile image54
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

How could anyone respond if they didn't exist?

1. Dave Barnett profile image59
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think, therefore, I am. Not too sure about the rest of you. Not a matter of me proving me to me, or of you proving you to me. Science tells us that to obersve you gives you reality, at least to me, but I have seen things which, physically, were not there, then I have also seen things that were, but no one would ever believe it. I think that I am sitting somewhere in a padded cell, in a catatonic state, and that you are all an illusion caged inside my sick mind.

4. camlo profile image81
    camloposted 13 years ago

I understand there are a number of Hubbers who don't really exist, but I suppose there is a person who really does exist behind them, otherwise they couldn't exist, could they?
    So, I think we all exist in one way or another.

5. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Prove i don't exist first

1. profile image51

Normally the Atheist's stance is that those who believe in God; they should prove God's existence. If that is the  correct apporach; then a person who says that he exists; he should come forward to prove his existence; for comparison and argument.

1. profile image0
        zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just playing with religious dogma.
        If God is in all of us, and we exist, which has been proved all along this thread, so god exists.

2. Shadesbreath profile image77

I am mashing this keyboard and saying, "I exist."

You can read it, which suggests that both you and I exist.

I can even meet you at the pub, buy you a beer, greet you and shake your hand.  Then you will see, hear and feel that I exist.

I will then perform a few standard human actions for you, like drinking my beer and shooting a game of pool.  Then you will have evidence that I am the real human that I claim.

When God does all of these things, speaks to us, meets us, touches us, hangs out and does some things that prove he is a god before our eyes, people will have less difficulty with his existence.

1. camlo profile image81
          camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But would people believe he's a god. Do gods do this sort of thing?

1. Shadesbreath profile image77

Well, yes, they do.  The only gods that have any traction these days are gods that did in fact come down and speak to someone in some form or another.  Then that dude wrote it down and the whole thing spread like a bad rash.

2. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

[closes eyes]

Done. Don't see ya. Ya don't exist.

1. BDazzler profile image77
        BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK, I don't exist and Greek one doesn't exist.  But you do. Because that made me laugh and even though I don't exist, laughter exits so you must exist.

tongue

1. profile image51

It is just for arguments sake; to get a priciple or principles for existence of a thing.

The Atheists Agnostics should come up with some brilliant arguments of their existence . It should not be difficult. Is it?

Well, I am arguing that I don't exist and neither do you. And I am arguing only for it's own sake. There was a principal at one school I attended that I kind of wish didn't exist.  I suspect he was doing un-nice things.  He was probably an unprincipled principal.

2. Daniel Carter profile image63

Completely flawless reasoning, my friend.
          We need to rewrite all the text books. They have it all wrong.
          lol

6. Jerami profile image60
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

You actually have a good point.  How do I know for sure that I am nothing but the product of your imagination.

I know that I am at the very least a product of my own.
    No one could possibly be as good looking, and as intelligent, understand   AND  Modest Yes modest; all of this at the same time!!!    Lets face it!! That has to be the product of someones imagination.

1. camlo profile image81

You haven't met me smile

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Jerami... If you ment Camlo, he would tell you I am better than you!

Way to tell him Camlo!

7. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

I leave a trail

8. Haunty profile image72
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

I exist because I experience. If I don't exist who is it that's experiencing?

9. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

Maybe we exists.
    Maybe we don't.
    But if we do, let's not regret it.

1. camlo profile image81

And if we don't, there's nothing to regret anyway.

1. profile image0

Of course.
        Because non existing entities are regretless.
        No subject.
        But object might exist to be regretd or not.
        If I dont'exist, nothing exists ?
        Or can it be something existing, regardless of my existing status ?
        he ?

10. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

This one's a screamer!!!!!!!!!!
    lol lol lol

Fairy fairy in the sky. can you eat this apple pie?

1. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Over time i will make it mold
      just as you will grow old.
      and in the end the pie will be,
      no more.
      and there will still be, you and me.

11. 2besure profile image81
    2besureposted 13 years ago

I think therefore I am...Rene Descartes!

1. profile image0

establishment : Of course you are my bright little star,
                      I've miles
                       And miles
                        Of files
                    Pretty files of your forefather's fruit
                                           and now to suit our
                                             great computer,
                   You're magnetic ink.
      First man : I'm more than that, I know I am, at least, I think I must be.

Inner Man: There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
                      Face piles
                       And piles
                       Of trials
                     With smiles.
                          It riles them to believe
                                 that you perceive
                                the web they weave
                         And keep on thinking free.

THat's Moody Blues for you.
      On The Threshold Of A Dream.

1. Joy56 profile image68
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

long time no see, remember me, i was once Poet Lorraine, i always spelt your name wrong........ nice to see you again,.

2. profile image51

Descartes gives himself the assurance. The question is how would you prove your existence to others.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh, what if you cease to think because you're dead, you don't exist?

First what is the definition of existence?

12. wildorangeflower profile image60
    wildorangeflowerposted 13 years ago

I exist because nobody pays my internet bill every month, it is I, I, I

1. camlo profile image81

As far as people I owe money are concerned - I no longer exist.

13. Haunty profile image72
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

On a second thought, it's dangerous to admit that we exist, because then our existence is limited both in time and space (meaning we cannot be everywhere and in every time at the same time) and therefore it is not intrinsic to us (meaning we do not have to be and by ourselves we cannot be). Yet we exist, therefore we have to say there is someone who imposes our existence upon us at all times. Who might that be...?

1. Jerami profile image60

I followed that!!    You might be right.?!.

14. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

You ask this on a virtual site?  No one exists, only to themselves, big_smile  me included!  Proof is unattainable, existence is here-say, and 'please', is refreshing

Thank you,

tYping

not really kYmberlY

Kymberly that's not you isn't it? smile

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol nice word working. big_smile

Sandra! that's not you too isn't it? smile

1. profile image0
            sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Totally not who I said I am not. lol

Whew! I am glad to know that! smile lol lol lol

15. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

You are all figments of my imagination.

16. wytegarillaz profile image58
    wytegarillazposted 13 years ago

can you see the wind ?!

I am here !! about to go to work tho !

17. Rafini profile image80
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I was born to live, currently I live, and I live to die, therefore I am.

1. profile image51

So your birth and death; both not in your control, suggests you that you exist. Is it a perfect existence?

18. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

why do hubbers still respond to paarsurreys obviously demented questions and comments? Nuthin' else to do? Boredom?, confusion? ignorance? a primitive "primate" propensity/.....hmmmm?
    I am truly amazed at some of the responses which actually seem to be serious...lotflmsaoff. No offense Paar. Just wondering in print....:-)

1. Rafini profile image80
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hiya Qwark!  Long time no see....big_smile

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Raf. Great to be back. Thanks for recognizing my return...:-)

19. SilentReed profile image81
    SilentReedposted 13 years ago

Yes we exist. But where?

1. camlo profile image81

Here?

20. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

i exist honest hi camio, just been reading more of your work, coincidence what?????

1. camlo profile image81

Hi Joy! Can you prove you exist?

I'm going to bed ...

21. SilentReed profile image81

In my mind, no matter.

1. profile image51

Hi friend SilentReed

Have you seen your mind; where it does exist? Do you recognize it? Has it a definite shape and location as one of our friends suggest with reference to Physics. If you have not seen your mind; why do you believe that you exist in it?

Thanks

22. Jerami profile image60
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Last night I dreamed that I was a grisly bear ....

OR

Am I really a grizzly bear that is now dreaming that I am a man.

23. SilentReed profile image81

Do you have a full stomach ? smile

24. BDazzler profile image77
    BDazzlerposted 13 years ago

No, I do not exist and neither do you. You are a figment of someone else's imagination.

I am a figment of my own imagination.

I've already proven to Mark Knowles that he does not exist and he's been stubbornly persistent about continuing to post.  Don't know what's up with that.

You however, I'm sure do not exist. Neither do I.

This event is not happening.

There is no internet, either, because Al Gore does not exist.  So this message does not exist either.

BDazzler! Is that isn't you? How aren't you my friend? smile
      Never time no see!

I'm sorry Ernest I don't exist right now. I would love to respond and when I exist I will. In the mean time, please disregard this imaginary missive. tongue

25. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Mind versus matter kind of thing, existence is materialist existence.

or I think therefore I was!

26. Diane Inside profile image70
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

No talking to you but it wouldn't let me reply to yours so I just hit reply on the one above it.

Oh okay. smile

27. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

or if I (or we) don't exist, why are you asking a response from this forum thread hehe

You're too adorable to not respond, therefore I must exist. lol

Hey PDH...(((HUGS))) Nice to see you. lol

Oh I see how it is.

And, I could really be mean and let you know that your view(how you see it is) is skewed. lol

But, I'll be nice.... lol

I just happen to know PDH better than you. That's all. smile

Oh okay, thanks for being nice. smile

But do realize Diane, how true(your vision being skewed about it) it actually is, because you do not know the relationship/friendship that PDH and I have? wink

Okay, got it.

Okay. smile big_smile

2. profile image51

You have to give proofs of your existence; you might be existing for sure, though

28. aware profile image68
    awareposted 13 years ago

if there is a god. it surly needn't us .  only humans pray. think about that statement. only we pester god. only we ask of it, blame it, beg for its attention. only we misrepresent it. bees don't bother god . and im almost sure it likes it that way. and as for proof of my existence .  ask my creditors  they know me. they will send you the bill.

1. sofs profile image73
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hasn't this existence thing gone on a little toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. profile image51

Why would one want to die/non-exist so soon?

29. SilentReed profile image81

Hi friend Paarsurrey, I exist in your mind. But please try to read beyond the lines smile

30. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

wow paar u are outstanding..u created such thread..excellent..congrats man...

31. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I don't think this is outstanding at all.  It seems to me something my 2 year old grandson might come up with while contemplating his navel and having nothing more stimulating to do. 

Do we exist?  What do you think?  If we don't exist, who are you having all these conversations with?  If we do exist, who are you that we would have to prove it to you?  I don't have to prove anything to anyone, least of all my existence.

You prove we exist by responding to us... but maybe if we don't exist, neither do you and we are all just participating in some creepy Twilight Zone episode.

1. Jerami profile image60

I agree!   Such is most all discusions that some of us get so upset about.

Hopefully that was the point that the OP was making?

2. camlo profile image81

When I was about 4, I kept asking people why a thumb is called a thumb. Nobody knew the answer. Maybe I should post that question on the Forums ...

32. earnestshub profile image79

Hi thought I would not drop in here again and become existent. smile

I'm pretty sure Australia doesn't exist, either. However since two negatives make a positive, and both you don't exist and Australia doesn't exist then you and Australia both exist, but if you leave Australia you disappear and so does Australia.

However, since I don't exist ... I'm not sure if I can prove it.

Well I'm convinced! I guess I'll have to get habee to send her food to Australia then. I have an invitation. smile

33. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Every time this "do-we-exist/prove-it" question shows up on the Internet somewhere (and it shows up over and over and over again), my response is always to bring up the row-of-the-saltines point:

If I take out a brand new row of saltine crackers, open the wrapper, and proceed to eat the whole thing (which I don't really do, by the way - only half the row!  lol); a couple of hours later there will be the torn open wrapper, and no crackers left.  That, to me, pretty much lets someone know I'm not a figment of anyone else's imagination.   smile

I suppose if someone were to get into forensics, there would be traces of saltines somewhere that connected me to the saltines.

If someone tries to take away my saltines, and I punch him in the nose, give him a nose-bleed, and leave the imprint of my ring and fingernails on his face, I'd say that pretty much proves I exist too.

Except for those people that get into the whole, "How do we know what's real is actually reality" thing, nobody asks me to prove I exist (although a lot of people act as if I don't, sometimes  hmm).  Still, I'm here, potentially punching noses if I have reason to - so if anyone asked me to prove I exist I wouldn't find it difficult.   smile

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love it.  But how do we know that saltine crackers exist?  Can it be proved?  Once they are all eaten, how can it be proved that they ever existed?  roll

34. earnestshub profile image79

Lisa HW.
    The H stands for hubpages! The W for writer. 322 hubs.
    I reckon there is a better than even chance that you are real here anyway! lol

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, Cagsil, but I just have to make one little comment in response to earnesthub's:

Hey - I never thought of that.   It's kind of weird now that you mention it.   lol    (The "W" stands for "Warren".)   Anyway, if my 322 Hubs don't prove I exist, there is always the saltine-cracker method.    smile

Good response Lisa. lol lol

35. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Earnest, why bring this pathetic thread back alive. It has been two hours since Lisa posted to it...it was dying a miserable death into non-existence. yikes

When something foolish like this thread is dying, it is better off to let it die. lol

1. camlo profile image81

No, Cagsil! Not before we've found proof that we exist.

lol lol lol

you were just complaining about reviving this thread and you just did it was 14hours dead till you resusitated it.

Actually, you would be wrong, yet again.

AKA Winston, revived the thread, not me. tongue

36. Tom Cornett profile image82
    Tom Cornettposted 13 years ago

Quoting Dr. Frankenstein....."It's ALIVE!"

37. Don W profile image84
    Don Wposted 13 years ago

I am able to offer data which allows you to objectively determine (tentatively) whether the hypothesis "my body exists" is true.

I am unable to offer data that allows you to objectively determine whether the hypothesis "my mind exists" is true. The data which allows me to conclude this is entirely subjective and consists of my own mental states. Moreover, if you were able to somehow observe my mental states, you would not be able to experience those mental states as my mental states, because you can only experience something through your own mental states, including other mental states.

However, you are able to infer that I have a mind on the grounds that this is the best explanation of my behaviour. That inference is not necessarily correct, and the logical possibility remains that no one other than yourself has a mind.

This is a well known philosophical problem called "the problem of other minds".

1. profile image51

Hi friend Don W

I appreciate your above post; which has not been responded by the Atheists Agnostics for ten days. Do they exist?

Thanks

38. earnestshub profile image79

So you are implying that non followers of fairies need to respond?
    Why would that be I wonder. Oh that's right! Your unending boring repetitive flogging of the quoran! lol lol lol

39. Jeff Berndt profile image71
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I never claimed to exist. In fact, I'm just a figment of all of your imaginations. Some of you people have some really perverse imaginations, too. You know who you are. tongue

40. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Just take away from me what I love and I will show you all right how I DO exist, no problem!

1. profile image51

Hi friend  Home Girl

Sorry, I don't understand what you want to say. Please elaborate further.

Thanks

1. Daniel Carter profile image63

paarsurrey, you would feel her wrath because of her loss of everything. That wrath would prove she exists.

41. BDazzler profile image77
    BDazzlerposted 13 years ago

OK, in all seriousness paarurrery ...

It is an offense to God to claim he doesn't exist to his face.  On that, you and I agree.

God loves his creation, because he is all loving.  On that, you and I agree.

By challenging Atheists and Agnostics to prove their existence, you are being deliberately offensive to that which God loves.

I have been attempting to show you this, with humor.

Your question is an offense against God's creation and his very existence by asking those who oppose him to sin.

The atheists and agnostics may or may not come up with the brilliant defense you are asking for.  By deliberately offending them, you are sinning against their creator.

As it is clear you do not want to see the point others who are created in God's image are trying to make, I will no longer participate in this mockery of God's creation.

1. profile image51

Hi friend  BDazzler

I don't challenge anybody. We were just discussing things in search of truth.

My viewpoint is different; and I express it to know the viewpoint of others with brillinat arguments, if they have any.

Thanks

42. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Define exist first smile

Misha, I know you exist, because you make lots of money on hub pages! tongue

I think, therefore, I am. The question is: Do the rest of you exist, or am I catatonic in a mental ward somewhere? Is this God's dream?(Hope he took some pills, or he might wake up....DREAM OVER!) Maybe I ACCIDENTLY ate acid in the sixties and never came down! Or maybe we're all dead and this is 1)Hell 2) Purgatory 3) Heaven or all three.

2. Misha profile image65
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOLZ

Nah, I don't exist. Neither do you. Just a string of 0s and 1s in my computer... smile

43. CkhoffmanK profile image78
    CkhoffmanKposted 13 years ago

*facepalm*

facepalm? Doublespeak! SHADES OF ORWELL! Thought police. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!

44. SearchingForTruth profile image58
    SearchingForTruthposted 13 years ago

Existence can be proven by visual proof such as a photograph - which you see mine by my name and can thus show it to others to prove you have seen me...

It can be proven by hearing - if we were on the phone you would hear my voice and could thus record it and prove to others that you had heard me...

It can be proven by touch - if I would let you near me and allow your hand to touch mine, you would be certain without question that you had touched living flesh, though proving that to others would have to be by faith. wink

It can be proven by smell - though I hope for the sake of all that nobody here smells bad.

It can be proven by taste, but once again, we're not going there.

You ask me to prove my existence - by all the ways listed I can prove my existence but you cannot prove your God by any of those or by any other means other than offering faith. I am not trying to be rude, simply bluntly honest in answering your question paarsurrey.

You made your points very well. smile

2. profile image51

Visual; if your eyesight is impaired; you cannot see the things existing by means of your eyesight.

Hearing;if your hearing is impaired; you cannot see the things existing by hearing.

similarly, touch,smell could be impaired.

45. SearchingForTruth profile image58
    SearchingForTruthposted 13 years ago

True, impairment of those senses can cause issues with recording fact in some instances. Are all people impaired? No. Out of 1000 people, you may have 100 that are impaired and the other 900 may be perfectly fine. That particular argument can be used on both sides, and even though it may explain the opinions of a few people, it still doesn't explain everything.

You can prove your physical existence to me, and vice-versa. The biggest contention I have is in proving how the life-force that exists in every living creature and organism can be defined as being that is all knowing and is human in its actions and reactions - how it can be personified as though mere humans know all about it. That combined with the contradictions in the Bible, Torah, Quran and all other books is what leaves me questioning. If the book contradicts itself, who is to say that the belief written therein about the life-force being God, and God being omnipotent and humanistic, yet perfect - how can I believe that is true? I used to have blind faith in it - I cannot ignore the contradictions. This is the biggest issue that exists with it, in my opinion. By the very definition of being human, one is imperfect. How can any human, then, claim to know all about an unknowable, unseen entity and claim it to be so? Visions do not prove anything other than that the brain entered a vivid dreaming state. The mind is capable of MANY things, one of which is vivid dreaming, and another is the ability to prove and disprove theory. smile I am not attempting to be rude or disrespectful - just to obtain more information. Take care. smile

1. profile image51

That particular post mentioned four senses as a proof of existence; there are things which are out of the reach of all our senses and we need proper tools to know existence or otherwise of a thing.

eg gravity, x-ray; so it is wrong to insist for a particular sense to know existence of a thing.

That was my point

1. Beelzedad profile image59

In other words, since those things are out of reach of all of our senses, we still know they are there, and even if we have no way of sensing their presence, we somehow formulate the knowledge in our minds that they are indeed there. wink

1. profile image51

Sometime we have come to know of them for some anamolies in our principles; sometimes just by chance.

Proper tools are needed or added to our senses to perceive the existence of certain things.

This way it goes on adding to our knowledge.

And hence we pray:

[20:115] Exalted then is Allah, the True King! And be not impatient for the Qur’an ere its revelation is completed unto thee, but only say, ‘O my Lord, increase me in knowledge.’

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … ;verse=114

Quran encourages and promotes knowledge

Thanks

Word salad.

Stating contradictions over again rather than responding to them shows you are ignoring others.

No, it does not. It only promotes subservience to an invisible god. smile

2. profile image51

Hi friend SearchingForTruth

Truly speaking, I have found no real contradiction in Quran; it even explains the causes of conradiction in other revealed books and tells the origianl truth which was later lost by the followers of that book.

Quran explains its true meaning of a verse in its context of some preceding and som following verses. It also explains the truthful meaning elsewhere in the book. One could check and clear the meaning from the first chapter of the Quran which is a summary of the Quran.

Just mention one contradiction which you yourself have found in Quran while studying Quran; and try the above method; I am not a scholar, just an ordinary person; this method works amazingly.

Thanks

""The orthodox Muslim conception of God may be summed up as follows: God is one; He has no partners; Singular, without any like Him; Uniform, having no contrary; Separate, having no equal; Ancient, having no first.""

"Of the ninety-nine names given to Allah in the Qur'an

He is called,
        bullet    The Mighty (Al Aziz)
        bullet    The Subduer (Al Quhhar)
        bullet    The Great One (Al Azim)
        bullet    The Most Great (Al Kabir)
        bullet    The Most Strong (Al Qawi)
        bullet    The Powerful (Al Muqtadir)"

smile

1. profile image51

Thanks

Please elaborate.

It's a self-explanatory contradiction. smile

46. salt profile image58
    saltposted 13 years ago

maybe I dont exist, maybe I do???!!!

47. camlo profile image81
    camloposted 13 years ago

When I look in the mirror, I don't seem to be there. What can that mean?

48. illeagle profile image59
    illeagleposted 13 years ago

There is no absolute proof that anything exists. I believe I am. I cannot prove it. I can't state exactly what 'I' is. I can't state exactly what 'believing' is. I can state that 'I' 'believe' 'I' 'am'. The interpretation is your own perception. Whatever I 'choose' to 'believe' I am determines how the world reacts to my 'existence'.

1. profile image51

Thanks

49. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

I am a tree falling in the forest - does anybody hear me? I am the sound of one paw, clapping. I am an article, spun by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing - though I "perceive" myself to be typing, I "believe" I am just a figment of my imagination.

big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

50. pjk_artist profile image63
    pjk_artistposted 13 years ago

You are all reflections of my own imagination.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)