Who play a vital role in the up-bringing of the child,the Mother or Father?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. folorunsho80 profile image66
    folorunsho80posted 12 years ago

Who play a vital role in the up-bringing of the child,the Mother or Father?

2. carolp profile image79
    carolpposted 12 years ago

The Mother who stays at home with her child plays a vital role , however it is important for a father to take part of the role. It is important that parents take this seriously. It is the love that the parents give to their chldren, that make them secure in their way of growing up. The everyday support of parents on their children how to do things the right way. Both to be there in times when the children need them.

3. Gabriel Wilson profile image91
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 12 years ago

I would like to think that both parents pay a vital role in their child's life. I believe in the perfect situation that both parents do. Mothers and Fathers play very different roles. A child that receives the love and knowledge of both parents is surely better off.
    My own Father played a very significant role in my life and still does. I would like to think that his influence has contributed to who I am today. He's strong willed and very determined.
    We learn from both parents; in a perfect world both parents are vital. As a child grows up they need all the guidance and security they can get. Mothers and Fathers contribute to their child's life in very different ways, but each are as important as the other.

4. Thesource profile image66
    Thesourceposted 12 years ago

The mother typically plays a key role for a child during the period starting from infancy to an adolescent. They breast feed the child and is capable to provide anything the infant needs. Fathers typically provide more security and financial support for both mother and child.

Though both parents are normally involved in bringing up a child, I feel the father can play a greater role during adolescent and teenage phase of the child. Fathers can provide leadership and are also capable of disciplining  older children. Discipline is necessary in bringing up a child to be responsible and capable adult.

I am speaking about my general observations and there are always exceptions to the general rules.

5. Artist-For-Hire profile image67
    Artist-For-Hireposted 12 years ago

Hah, fascinating and very complex question (and I love to dissect things like this!!)

According to experts:
    The mother plays a more prominent role during the first 3 or 4 years of life teaching the infant valuable lessons of love & patience. (Doesn't mean that Dad can't tho!)

After that, the child will begin to primarily focus on the same sex parent (they learn how to be a lady for Mum, or how to be a man from Dad).

During the early teens, the child will then shift primary focus onto a mentor - a role model of the same sex (a grandparent, an aunt or uncle, a "cool" teacher, neighbour or boss can fill this role). Children who don't find this relationship (especially boys) will rely on peers...which is a case of the blind leading the blind - you're just asking for trouble!

I personally believe that both parents are equally important BUT they are important for different reasons.

It could be compared to they way we love our children - we love them all equally but we treat them slightly differently according to their individual needs and characters. And so it is with parents, we need them both but to provide different roles.

PS - Apologies to single parent families...admittedly there are definitely cases where the child is better off without a parent's influence. Raising a well adjusted child is absolutely possible in single parent families and I admire the strength and determination of any parent who is required to fill the role of both mother and father. Good luck to ya smile

6. ALUR profile image60
    ALURposted 12 years ago

It's a combustion of all the above. As a single Mom I seem to be all three, but fortunately my ex is a good Dad. The important thing for a child is to feel he/she is loved. At that innocent time in life, their world and it's safety is how to breed good children.
    And then we let them soar and fly!

Check out my writings about motherhood, love, divorce and all that jazz

7. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I think if parenting is done correctly, both parents play a vital role in the upbringing of a child.  If I had to choose one or the other, I would say whichever parent is the one who stays home with the child during those first years--whether father or mother.

8. dragonlady1967 profile image68
    dragonlady1967posted 12 years ago

I think it has alot to do with the parents.  Everyone is different..  I don't think it is right if during a divorce a impartial judge plays GOD and determines which would be best suitable.  The child needs both parents, and shared parenting is often overlooked.  I think love and nurturing should come from both sides.  Unfortunately that isn't always the case and many children suffer because of this.  A child should never feel one parent loves them more than the other.

9. profile image53
    florence123posted 12 years ago

Both parents play a vital role in the upbringing of a child. Of course one parent is always going to have to go to work, but that dosen't mean that parents role is less valuable. What is important is the quality of time spent with their child.

10. Daffy Duck profile image59
    Daffy Duckposted 12 years ago

Both.

11. mcrawford76 profile image89
    mcrawford76posted 12 years ago

Not that this answers the question for every case, but I've been doing research in serial killers, and found that in almost every case, between 90 - 92%, the father is either not there, or has a destructive relationship with the child. Though one could argue that most serial killers (90%) are white males between 25 and 35 years of age. Males having a severely dysfunctional relationship with his mother are very prevalent as well.

So taking those facts into account, and I love the comment by Artist-For-Hire, that states that the child will focus on same sex parent, which could also point to the same conclusion that I've made.

With that I suppose my answer would be that the father plays a pivotal role. having a good male influence in a child’s life is invaluable. As in many cases the mother is the nurturer, and the father is the disciplinarian.

12. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

It takes two. We both have our roles to bring up children and never conflict in decisions is the most important factor. When one makes a decision, it will be final. Any discussion should be done without the children.

13. shanaya profile image60
    shanayaposted 12 years ago

I will definetly say BOTH plays a vital role in the up-bringing of the child.smile

14. manisha2877 profile image53
    manisha2877posted 12 years ago

Good question i think mother and father both are responsible for upbringing a child .

15. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 9 years ago

Both parents play a vital role when it comes to raising a child. The father figure should promote strength in a loving manner. Most boys tune their mother's voice out when they become a certain age because it tends to be a nagging sound. They can relate to a manly authority. And young girls as they get older need the advice of the father so that they are not taken advantage of in relationships. A mothers job is to provide advice and care but it is hard to play a role that was designed for two, as the saying goes, it takes a village to raise a child.

16. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

In small & medium-sized families (1-4 children per household), both mother & father play vital roles in their children's lives.  They parent their children, giving them the attention, love, & resources that the latter need to thrive & succeed.  Even in medium large families(5 children per household), both mother & father play an active role in their children's lives; however in large(6-7 children per household) & very large families(8-more children per household), parents don't play a vital roles in their children's lives besides the physical act of giving birth.  It is the oldest/older children who play a vital roles in parenting their children.  It is quite common in large & very large families for oldest/older children to take up parenting responsibilities for younger siblings as parents of large & very large families routinely hand over their children for the oldest/older children to raise.
    https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8295436.jpg
    In small & medium-sized families of 1-4 children per household & even in medium large families of 5 children per household, both parents take an active part in raising their children.  They can exercise a reasonable span of control in raising their children effectively w/o enforcing the older children to raise younger siblings.  They also give individualized love, attention, & resources to their children.
    https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7834196.jpg
    In large families of 6-7 children per household & very large families of 8+more children per household, parents don't play a vital role in raising their children.  It is the oldest/older children who parent & raise the children.  Parents of large & very large families give birth & routinely hand over the children to the oldest/older children.  Parentified children are quite commonplace in large & very large family households.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)