What is the quote or saying you were taught by your parent(s) as a child that yo

Jump to Last Post 151-192 of 192 discussions (192 posts)
  1. cyoung35 profile image80
    cyoung35posted 12 years ago

My mom used to tell me: Treat others as you would like to be treated even if they don't treat you the same.
    My Dad always told me: It takes a bigger man to walk away from a fight than to fight over something that means nothing.

2. profile image0
    susankdyposted 12 years ago

good thing no cheap ... cheap thing no good. I like this quote and it stands true in most cases. Quality usually has it's price.
    susan

3. McKWriter88 profile image59
    McKWriter88posted 12 years ago

My Grandfather also says, "Never get discouraged. No matter what  you do in live, keep pushing ahead."

4. wrinklestudent profile image61
    wrinklestudentposted 12 years ago

"If you don't have time to do it right, you must have time to do it over."

5. SilverMystWolf profile image61
    SilverMystWolfposted 12 years ago

My mom always told me "If you lie with the dogs, you're gonna get the fleas"

With my dad it was "Tell 'em I taught you how to fight.  Never tell 'em I taught you to fight fair."  and "Things are going to happen the way they're supposed to, so don't worry."  And "A MotherF***** is gonna be a MotherF***** because they're a MotherF*****"

6. profile image0
    Hubertsvoiceposted 12 years ago

Whenever I would ask my mother why about anything, her answer would always be "Because I said so". When my son asks me why about anything,  "Because I said so" rolls out of my mouth as if the word triggered a remote control to a recording in my jaw.

7. Mason Davenport profile image58
    Mason Davenportposted 12 years ago

My dad always says "If you don't ask the answer will always be no."

8. Aceblogs profile image61
    Aceblogsposted 12 years ago

They always taught me lot of things , few of them are ,

Be kind to people always no matter how they treat you .

When you are angry , just do not talk to anyone for time being till anger calms down

Hard work always pays off !

( Not a saying but my emotions - Love you mom and dad )

9. profile image0
    MP50posted 12 years ago

Its' the thought that counts.

http://mp50.hubpages.com

10. ktrapp profile image94
    ktrappposted 12 years ago

I'm not sure if my parents told me, but I always grew up knowing...don't let the sun go down on your anger. This is still very relevant advice.

11. bambamnpebbles profile image60
    bambamnpebblesposted 12 years ago

And it will stick with my children as well...."Courtesy costs nothing." It doesn't cost to be kind, but it pays out well.

12. Chasing Riley profile image85
    Chasing Rileyposted 12 years ago

I don't use either of these but I have to share:
    1. "Children are to be seen but not heard"
    2. "I am the chief and you're my little indians. When you get older, you can be the chief and have your own little indians!"

And the age old - "because I said so" which I use all the time!

13. Don Fairchild profile image72
    Don Fairchildposted 12 years ago

Warning! Before engaging mouth, be sure your brain is in gear.

14. Jyoti Patil profile image60
    Jyoti Patilposted 12 years ago

What goes around comes around - my mom dad both said that.

15. profile image50
    lucymcbeesposted 12 years ago

Never, never never never never  ever give up!

16. Dear Nicole Reed profile image61
    Dear Nicole Reedposted 12 years ago

"Only you are in control of your happiness, if you blame someone else for making you upset, your letting them control you."

17. General Knowledge profile image60
    General Knowledgeposted 12 years ago

"Treat others the way you want to be treated".

I've seen it at least four other times on this post. It is probably the number one saying that parents tell their children.

I forgot about this saying until I took diversity awareness training. Not because I am not aware of diversity or because I am a bigot, but because I work for the federal government and they like spending money on these kinds of things.

The interesting thing I took away from this training is that they told me this saying is no longer true - especially in service based organizations.

Their update on the saying is "Treat others the way they want to be treated". Replacing the word "you" with the word "they" allows you to take into account people's diverse cultures and life experiences.

18. profile image0
    DiamondGirl27posted 12 years ago

I'd like to share one from my teacher:  "Empty wagons make a lot of noise!"  Indeed they do.

19. thumbi7 profile image61
    thumbi7posted 12 years ago

Dont waste food, there are many who cannot afford it.

20. profile image58
    laptop-coolerposted 12 years ago

You are assuming my parents gave me good advice tongue

21. daddysgun profile image59
    daddysgunposted 12 years ago

"You know, sometimes people just ain't gonna do what you think they oughta do!" 

(This said very tongue in cheek, with a tone of pretended dismay at "some people" and their unbelievable nerve!)  Mama would say this and stop me dead in the midst of an energetic episode of generalized misery over something somebody done (can you believe that?? I mean, really!) that I was none too happy about.

Oh, and Mama always used to say when the sun shines through falling rain, "The devil's beating his wife."   And today still, I can never see sunshine during rain without saying that very thing out loud myself.

22. ValL profile image60
    ValLposted 12 years ago

"'Can't' is not in the dictionary." Meaning you can do anything you set your mind to. I do truly believe this as well today!

23. mitowrite profile image65
    mitowriteposted 12 years ago

My dad once said, "Just because you're related, doesn't mean you have to like them." We were at a family reunion and I had just met distant cousins.

24. tosha11 profile image60
    tosha11posted 12 years ago

My mom saying "Never have sex with a man unless you want him to be a father." I pass it along to my friends all the time. Thinking back I thought she was crazy but followed her advice anyways. Now, I love that I listned to her.

My dad " Always respect your elders." To this day his advice has gotton me lots more of good advice and a few jobs that I would have never got without being polite.

25. cmstewart4 profile image62
    cmstewart4posted 12 years ago

"In or out I don't care which..but stop slamming that door..."

26. HrtsMakeFamilies profile image61
    HrtsMakeFamiliesposted 12 years ago

My mom always said "if you believe enough, it can happen"

27. alegnanat profile image60
    alegnanatposted 12 years ago

"a stitch in time saves nine" although i didn't realize what it meant until some years ago.  tis' true!

28. WoodlandFae profile image60
    WoodlandFaeposted 12 years ago

I laugh at this now because it was also quoted in the movie Sweet Home Alabama

"Don't let all the bought air out..."

29. Msnancy profile image60
    Msnancyposted 12 years ago

To thy own self be true,Stand on your own two feet - My Dad
    If He Makes you cry He 's not the one -Aunt
    We all have crosses to bear, But We Will wear the Crown one day - Grandmother
    No matter what I am in your Corner-Mom

30. haikutwinkle profile image59
    haikutwinkleposted 12 years ago

Never cheat or lie.
    Stand firm on the ground with your own two feet.
    Remember your root.
    Never ask other people to do what you can do yourself.

31. poeticmentor profile image76
    poeticmentorposted 12 years ago

A closed mouth don't get fed &
    There are more fish in the sea
    Where is your sister? (my older sis was always missing in action, boy crazy, I was her cover) lol
    ...i know there are others but these stay with me for some reason.

32. californialawyer profile image55
    californialawyerposted 12 years ago

Never be afraid. Always be confident in whatever you do.

33. rosika profile image77
    rosikaposted 12 years ago

My mum and dad would always say "if you have good health" and "if you are not in debt" you would always be a happy person.

34. profile image59
    nasakeposted 12 years ago

"What was that!?"

Basically any sound or vibration or bang would have my dad screaming it. Even if it was you taking your shoes off and kicking them off the bed it was tragic!

"Coming through the F'ing floorboards! The light bulbs are shaking down their! etc..."

or...

"Should we have a ciggy?"

35. Tamik100 profile image59
    Tamik100posted 12 years ago

If you see a dog barking on the side of the road , would you get down on your knees and start barking with him? ( She meant that if someone was mean or a bully why should we act in the same way)

36. robyna profile image59
    robynaposted 12 years ago

"If people can't believe your word, there's nothing they can believe about you." That sticks with me all the time because it's so true. If you don't have integrity in what you say, you don't have any integrity.

37. inaniLoquence profile image73
    inaniLoquenceposted 12 years ago

My father always reminds me to "Study hard, be the best you can be, excel in whatever field you choose-- become more than your parents."

smile

38. Jayleenblogs profile image58
    Jayleenblogsposted 12 years ago

Sometimes you have to take a step backward to move forward

39. happychappyjb profile image60
    happychappyjbposted 12 years ago

Education is a shortcut to life. People start from the bottom and rise to where you get straight to as a graduate.

40. profile image34
    LORD ENKIposted 12 years ago

THE BEST OF ALL " YOU REAP WHAT WHAT YOU SOW" and if you sow it,you will REAP IT'S HARVEST! Simple as that buddy!!

41. MINIMA profile image59
    MINIMAposted 12 years ago

My mother used to and still say " Do what you are asked to and don't become my mother. You are born from me not I from me."

My father used to say " No dating , no boyfriend and learn the house work and also do your best at school. whether you are a professor or what you still have to manage the kitchen. You are a girl REMEMBER this always."

Sometimes I do use these with my children.

42. Penny G profile image59
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

Actually it was my Grandmother . If you were upset about something she would say in 10 years will it matter? If not let it go.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)