Why can't the Republicans find a decent candidate to challenge Obama?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (23 posts)
  1. crankalicious profile image86
    crankaliciousposted 12 years ago

Why can't the Republicans find a decent candidate to challenge Obama?

I'm likely to vote for Obama anyway, but none of the potential Republican candidates even seems viable. It's interesting given Republican hatred of Obama that a decent candidate isn't out there. Newt Gingrich? Seriously? I think in any year where Gingrich thinks he has a chance, Republicans have a serious problem. And I kind of like the guy.

2. ElderYoungMan profile image67
    ElderYoungManposted 12 years ago

It's really more that they don't have a position more than they don't have a candidate.  Anyone that gets up and tries to sell us more tax cuts for the rich and more cuts to services and education for the working class has no real chance.  If a Republican had the right message, they could challenge President Obama.  I mean, he hasn't exactly been able to deliver on reforming the whole corporate welfare system, look at the bailouts.  But the Republicans have actually benefited from his administration and no one they can put up has a better message.

3. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 12 years ago

I suppose "decent" is one of perspective.  I know one of my most intelligent followers, who is also pretty Conservative, would probably find several of candidates decent; I won't posit which ones but would guess it wouldn't be Romny or Huntsman, not that he doesn't consider them decent, but they don't reflect his views strongly enough.  Me, on the other hand, consider Romney the only, of the ones I have studied, I think would make a reasonable President (my choice is Obama) and actually has a chance of winning once he can stop lying (that is what politicians do, you see) about what he truly believes in order to get nominated; independents are still upset with Obama and may not go back to him and if a moderate Conservative is running, the Liberal Democrats may not vote.

Back to your question.  The rest of the field are not decent in your view, and in mine, because they are so far to the right.  But, they are decent, popular, nominatable, and electable because they strike a chord with the right-wing element of the Conservative wing of the Republican Party. To the rest of us, they are decent cadidates meaning they are not electable in a general election, however, unless the economy has tanked again.  For most of them, they are so far to the right that even if unemployment and growth remains where it is, I feel it is Obama's election to lose.

4. PoliticsNOW profile image61
    PoliticsNOWposted 12 years ago

Because the Republicans hve been hijacked by the Nut Jobs know as the Tea Party.  A corporate funded group hell bent on defeating Obama no mattter who suffers along the way.  They could not care less about you as shown in the Debates.  They cheer if you die because you can't afford health insurance.

5. HSanAlim profile image59
    HSanAlimposted 12 years ago

The reason  the Republicans cannot find a decent candidate is because none of them are leaders and they are all too influenced by corporate fund contributions.
    Unfortunately that's the system.

6. stephaniedas profile image71
    stephaniedasposted 12 years ago

Because there is no one decent in Washington anymore, and I mean no one.

7. KaisaJordan profile image62
    KaisaJordanposted 12 years ago

The Republicans can not find or come up with a serious candidate because they are not focusing on the problem at hand. Their focus is on Obama and not the economy.

8. satice_j profile image69
    satice_jposted 12 years ago

I have been considering running for President lately. I am a more often SAHM and so why not I say to myself!.Even though the thought runs through this head of mine, I still think there is no opposition because Obama is the man!

Republicans have yet to get off the bandwagon.

9. Eric Prado profile image73
    Eric Pradoposted 12 years ago

Probably because it is like trying to find water in a flame. It just doesn't seem to exist.

10. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 12 years ago

It's a mistake to judge the field by the primaries. I'm sure you know as well as I do, that the politicians you see on the primaries, Democrat or Republican, are not the politicians we see in the general election, when they "tack to the center" and become more "reasonable," and so forth.

What I'm saying is that this field of Republicans may not seem "decent" now, but just wait until the general election and you'll see them become infinitely more "decent" as usual. Yes, their records are on thing, but its not like we mere voters are encouraged to challenge candidates on issues, and its not like we are given much knowledge by the mass media about candidate's records or anything, i don't know.... substantive or anything like that.

Remember, the Republicans are trying to out-Republican each other in the primaries (which these days, as opposed to the days of Eisenhower means, out-Right Wing each other). But whoever makes it to the general election, no matter how not "decent" he or she seems, his or her handlers will make darn sure they rehabilitate their image to make them more attractive to the "general electorate" and "swing voters."

11. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 12 years ago

I don't think the party has recovered from the last Republican president.  Many of the candidates in the field are using a race with an incumbent (always hard to win) to gain name recognition for the next election when it is more likely the party not in the White House will win. And in that election, the Republican big guns will no doubt come out of hiding and go for it.

12. KmCeicillaG011011 profile image60
    KmCeicillaG011011posted 12 years ago

Ron Paul. He is a republican and he has great points for our country. The reason for him not being on the ballot for the elections was because people refuse to listen to his beliefs. If you want to know more google his name. And learn.

13. Modern Greetings profile image58
    Modern Greetingsposted 12 years ago

Republicans are, as stated above, more interested in defeating Obama personally then fixing the problems at hand. Personally I think that "Get him!" attitude is deplorable and incredibly self righteous, how these candidates get elected to state congress, governorships, or what have you is beyond me.

And when it comes down to it, I mean really comes down to it; how can you measure up to Obama. Take away all the smear and trash talking and what do you have?

A president who saved MILLIONS of jobs by restructuring the automotive industry and bailing them out. A president who has killed over a dozen terrorist leaders and turned the war's focus from George Bush's oil campaign to where true evil lies. A president who has fought diligently to do what no other president has tried; universal healthcare! A president who kept us from a depression (Under Bush it would of been a sure thing). And a president who has (for some reason) tried to get input on both sides on things like the debt, war, economy, and regulation.

14. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

Polling suggests that Romney is a decent opponent to challenge Obama. In the current climate I think Obama would struggle to beat him. I do agree that the rest of the field is very weak though, and I don't see how candidates like Bachmann or Perry could beat Obama.

15. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago

Because the Tea Party has extinguished nearly all the reasonable Republican voices and induced the rest to prostitute themselves in an effort to be nominated.

16. Brian Weekes profile image61
    Brian Weekesposted 12 years ago

The main reason that Republicans cannot find a decent candidate to challenge Obama is that I am not an American and therefore cannot stand for the Republican vote. If I could then I think I would be a decent candidate.

17. grazeilsel profile image60
    grazeilselposted 12 years ago

no one really wants to preside over the next collapse

18. hawkdad73 profile image60
    hawkdad73posted 12 years ago

The candidates they have to choose from show that they are trying way too hard.

19. Levertis Steele profile image75
    Levertis Steeleposted 12 years ago

If we cannot be part of a good solution, we should not complain about the problem. Have you ever seen nonvoters complain about the person they put in office by not voting? They have no right!

It amazes me how people rave about Obama's drunk uncle or his fake birth certificate, or his mom's insurance policy. Silly! These people badly want to nail him. I just wish that they would stop the embarrassing, petty accusations.

20. profile image52
    michelegoldsteinposted 12 years ago

I think it's because they have very high and limited expectations and no one with money or who can raise the money fits all their criteria.

21. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

It is now December, 2011, and it is still unclear why no sober, sane, lucid and scandal free man or woman seems able or willing to step forward. Perhaps it is because they have made such a mess of things that they do not want to clean any of it up.

22. Tom Head profile image61
    Tom Headposted 12 years ago

Because the only candidates smart enough to beat Obama are too smart to try.

Incumbents tend to win reelection, so the most viable Republican candidates are waiting for 2016. The only candidates running this year are the candidates who know they won't get nominated in 2016 anyway (Romney and Santorum because they lack party support in their respective home states, Gingrich and Paul because they will be too old).

2016 will bring a MUCH more promising slate of GOP candidates. Republicans, don't get depressed. Democrats, don't get cocky.

23. cascoly profile image59
    cascolyposted 12 years ago

maybe because the right wing, tea party and other extremists have taken over the republican party and no viable candidate cansurvive the primaries and then win the genral election in which more moderate voices prevail

re gingrich, i'd prefer he jsut get back to writing historical counterfactual histories

http://cascoly.hubpages.com/hub/Gettysb … ch-version

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)