Do you consider the devastation from the tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, etc., '

Jump to Last Post 51-88 of 88 discussions (88 posts)
  1. verduijn profile image57
    verduijnposted 13 years ago

The Bible doesn't ONLY teach that God is love... it also teaches that He is a jealous God, and when it comes to destroying enemies even a vengeful bahstud. Most info about the Christian God is found in the Old Testament - and it doesn't take much time to notice that He is a rather unpleasant character. So... I wouldn't be surprised if all the nasty happenings on this Earth are indeed Acts of God.

2. KissTheRain profile image58
    KissTheRainposted 13 years ago

I'm actually not sure about what my beliefs are about God, but I think anything is possible...

3. Nickalooch profile image58
    Nickaloochposted 13 years ago

I believe in God, but no i do not think that all the devastation that has occurred recently is him. I think we need to take responsibility as a society for what we have been doing to this planet. We have been using up it's resources for to long and polluting it for to long. As far as a solution to all of it, everyone has to chip in, doesn't matter how small the feat may be.

4. loneparentgiggles profile image61
    loneparentgigglesposted 13 years ago

I appreciate that this is a religious question, however I feel that natural disasters are just that... natural... it's just earth's way of keeping balance. I cannot imagine a god who is supposed to be all loving causing devastation and pain and death... As for Satan, as far as I'm aware he was not given the power to kill. Then again, my knowledge of relious topics is limited, I was Jehovah's Witness till I was nine, so my facts may not be entirely straight... and their bible is a bit different to everyone elses.

5. profile image54
    Marylou8posted 13 years ago

The bible says earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, fires would increase in the end times.  The devil has dominion over this earth until his is cast away for the 1,000 years.  God IS love and the bible says the devil comes to kill steal and destroy,( not God.)  As long as the devil has dominion over the earth there will be nothing but mayhem trying to get you to doubt God and his Love.

6. ratikagaur profile image60
    ratikagaurposted 13 years ago

with all due respect to the question posed....

applying the accumulated knowledge of the 18 years of my life..i think it's simply about reciprocation...would you never burst up if in spite of all the love and concern that you give to your loved one..all that you get in return is destruction..hurt??

and therefore even if there IS something addressed here as "act of god"...i think he is completely justified!!!

and i wonder why do we always look towards the wrong things done?...i think there would be very few in this world who won't agree with this fact that there is rather MUCH MORE to god than just the destruction that he causes...thus there should be so much more to us while discussing god than just the destruction caused...

7. profile image50
    darrellwsmithersposted 13 years ago

no man made problem ,we uses the world ,that he created.
    man well destory himself because we all arenot  on the page. God gives us his grace and wants to heal our land, but we will not repent. Satan has pulled the veil to far down over our eyes and we will not ask for forgiveness, therefore he will not heal our land. God will punish the wicked, and he is doing so now at this time.

8. profile image49
    roelioposted 13 years ago

Yes. God allows these things because others commit sin against God. Apart from him we can't do nothing, and to remember that He is a powerful God. God is Love but His wrath towards our wicked ways. Satan is the destroyer of our life, the killer and father of all lies. Have faith in God.

9. Darrell Roberts profile image70
    Darrell Robertsposted 13 years ago

Yes, according to the scriptures from around the world God is all powerful, all knowing and everywhere in the universe.  Oh yeah, lets blame the big guys.  :0

10. aakashmech profile image60
    aakashmechposted 13 years ago

yes,definitely i believe it is act of THE GOD,,,,we don't know how we came on the  earth ,we don't know where all of us will gone after death.....so there must be a supernatural power who keep balance in all living and non living things.
              This fact is also proved in Science which is "LAW OF CONSERVATION OF MASS(ENERGY).".we all living or non living things are some amount of mass or ENERGY so if we want to produce some mass(ENERGY) like birth of a new baby...there must be some consumption of other mass like death of peoples.
         Thus, it is cleared that if you believe in God so this Devastations are the act of god to keep balance in nature  and if you believe in science then  it is  just a consumption of mass only.

11. amazonrus profile image68
    amazonrusposted 13 years ago

Of course. God is the All-Willing. He is also the most Merciful, most Gracious.

12. Sun Pen 50 profile image61
    Sun Pen 50posted 13 years ago

It is very unfair to blame God for everything that happens. True he made the world and almost an infinite number of worlds. And he may be busy making many new worlds. Otherwise he may come and save people from the tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, etc. "Acts of god" is a praise created by businessmen, actually the lawyers hired by businessman to draft contracts to cheat others who sign them.

13. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

No Not an act of God but definitely an act of satan who loves to kill and destroy.

14. profile image52
    lapatriciaeposted 13 years ago

No! Why blame God for everything, people need to look at the bigger picture.  The Earth is just trying to protect herself, we have close to 7 billion people in the world and the earth is just trying to keep thing in balance.  Life and death is a constant, we don't know when or how but we know it's coming.  When things start happening it's all for a reason, we may not understand it then but soon or later we could see the purpose for these things.  Just think of your life where nothing ever happen and everyday was the same, nothing changed.  How long you think that would last?  Not long, change come whether we want it or not, we all need balance.  Look at the devastation these disaster's leave behind, it takes from some and provide for others.  Example: a person lost their home, somebody has a job to rebuild it.   They both win one with a new home, the other with money he earned from building the house (up to 20 people getting paid) off of one house.  We pray and help those who are in need and when it's our turn we hope that others will do the same. It's our nature to want to blame someone or something when we hurt.  Just try to ask what will benefit from these actions.  Good or Bad

15. profile image0
    Kieran Gracieposted 13 years ago

The question was about the devastation caused by natural disasters such as tornadoes, not about the natural disasters themselves.  Surely man's ingenuity has been, and is, capable of reducing or even eliminating the devastation.  Why do fewer houses fall down and fewer people get injured or killed during earthquakes in the US compared to, say, China? 

Devastation from natural disasters is controllable by us humans.  There is no need to invoke or blame God. Insurance companies please note.

16. catsimmons profile image81
    catsimmonsposted 13 years ago

I don't think they come about by the deliberate intention of a personal God, no. But if you think of God as the total consequence of all happenings in the Universe then I guess that would be yes.

17. powerofknowledge1 profile image60
    powerofknowledge1posted 13 years ago

Yes i think the devastation from the tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, etc., 'Acts of God'. Not even in Bible but also in every religious book it is mentioned that God loves all. God loves the progress we did. But God never allow us to do something against the nature. Now days we are in the race of Progress but we forget that in this race we are playing with the rules of Nature. Like we cut down forests.

God gives us this beautiful planet to live but what we did. For our greed we make changes on it.

God is great. He gives everyone a chance to realize his/her mistakes but when we human being didn't realize or accept our mistakes he have to punish us too. And in God's eye everyone is equal. He treats everyone equally.

Devastation from the tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, etc., are the signs which God want to teach us that we human being are doing some thing wrong. But still we are doing the same mistakes. If we cannot stop here then I think either we all have to suffer just because of Global Warming or very soon we have to face Ice Age.

18. lafamillia profile image61
    lafamilliaposted 13 years ago

Yes, everyone get's what he deserves. I am talking in general. Maybe not you, maybe someone close to you did something that "the major force" didn't like it.

19. mirza shahzad profile image63
    mirza shahzadposted 13 years ago

Yes they can be. If something defy the reason for its existence then its destruction is an option. (i hope i have used the right words). God might be Love but he is not Happiness. (I don´t understand what you mean by God being Love....sorry). Satan seems to have a pivotal role in all this. Satan is actually (from what i know) a complex of conscious parts of a person which enable some attributes (behaviroral, temparamental, emotional and mental) which leads to its enabling to ''defy the reason for its existence''

I hope you get my point.

20. profile image0
    Vanessa McKayposted 13 years ago

No.  I believe it has to do with how we have treat the earth and her resources.  A mass imbalance has been created causing these unsettling 'natural' disasters.

21. ace jayson luardo profile image61
    ace jayson luardoposted 13 years ago

In my opinion, it is not the act of yahuwah name of our God, it is by our doing, we abuse our mother nature. that's all i can share for now... God bless....

22. ronhi profile image66
    ronhiposted 13 years ago

God is totally good and there is no badness in him. We leave in the dispensation of grace and not the dispensation of law. under law (Old testament times) God would unleash his wrath on people that annoyed him. A point of reference is when Elijah the prophet called down fire from heaven to kill the soldiers that had been sent to arrest him. But in the new testament time, God would never do that. A case in point is when the disciples were chased out of a city and they were so annoyed that they asked Jesus to call down fire from heaven to destroy the village- Jesus never allowed it to happen.

23. Iggy Falcone profile image61
    Iggy Falconeposted 13 years ago
  24. Deynna profile image59
    Deynnaposted 13 years ago

Yes i do consider the devastation from tornadoes, earthquakes, etc. acts of God. It's Gods way of punishing people and states or countries. If you read the bible it will tell you that all the earthquakes and tornadoes, etc. are created by him.

25. JoseMillan profile image61
    JoseMillanposted 13 years ago

Not exactly that GOD is like a child pushing a button to activate "Tornado" or "Hurricane", but in certain ways, we can say that GOD allows or approve that this atmospheric phenomenons occur. All that GOD allows is because alwas, ALWAYS GOD has a purpose .

26. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 13 years ago

They are ACTS OF NATURE....if God equates to nature in your mind...and nature to God, I guess you can believe something along that thought.  God is LOVE.  He doesn't CAUSE death and destruction....as in strike them upon His world and His children.  They are the occurrances of the world...in this life....the human state.  This is merely a dress rehearsal before Eternal life, if this is your belief. 
    God is said to be OUR Heavenly Father.  If you have children, you love them, teach them right from wrong, good vs evil, give them direction and guidlines, protect them to the best of your ability.......If a terrible tragedy befalls a child......did the PARENT  C A U S E it?   I think not.

27. carrierichard profile image58
    carrierichardposted 13 years ago

No I do not. It is act of nature beyond any ones control.

28. profile image58
    kat74posted 13 years ago

I think its nature taking its cause and the and the effect of these disasters are as a result of human being interfering with the natural habitat called the earth so much that when the nature reacts to its own cycle, the same human beings are caught on the way.

I also believe that God created the world and let it be able to cycle it s seasons, so occasionally the human race will be caught by these disasters which are very deadly and leave many people and communities at a lose of what to do.

If God has an hand in this, then he must have his reasons. But if its a result of natural forces which we have no control of, then the human race should look for ways to stay away from the most affected areas. I feel for every victim of all these disasters.

29. style-of-life profile image61
    style-of-lifeposted 13 years ago

No. I doubt any higher being had anything to do with all that. Even if it were so, why would someone purposely punish us, or even more, the planet itself and the very innocent other beings that inhabit it. Isn't guidance what it should be all about?

30. biliph profile image61
    biliphposted 13 years ago

For me, God has nothing to do with any of these. These are caused by nature and some have been triggered by the acts of man.

31. jamie5749 profile image60
    jamie5749posted 13 years ago

yes and no because he knew what was going to happen on earth before it did and our pollution bad choices and everything we do on earth is a result of how the atmospher rotation and weather of the world react.  Things happen when big things get moved or changed.

32. HSanAlim profile image62
    HSanAlimposted 13 years ago

If a person believes in God, believe that even if only at the very beginning it was God that made the Universe from nothing, then you have to believe that everything that happened after that was a result of something God started.Thus it all is an act of God.

33. Agnes Penn profile image61
    Agnes Pennposted 13 years ago

It is simpler to perceive the answer to this question when we consider a relationship between God and man the way we relate with other people.  If you had ten children you would not correct all ten in the same manner: Each child relates differently to the parents by following or rebelling to the set rules. 
    When you apply this to God relating to His children He will correct some children by the love shown after a disaster between people, He will end others' lives so the rest will not attach themselves to people or things and simply depend on Him, and so many other ways that He can talk to each individual.  Some people need an earth-shaking experience to reconsider their spouse, children, parents...God.
    My thought was always God made nature and these are natural disasters.  Now, I remember scripture talk how he dresses the flowers in the field and takes care of birds, what more won't He do for His children?  I now believe He is active within us, calling us, insisting to relate with us. 
    The further away a child goes from their parents' goodness - alcoholism, drug addiction - the harder and more creative the parents will get to bring that child back.
    We are cloning God's work, killing the unborn, destroying the planet which He created and preventing children from coming into this world out of selfishness.  If you were God, wouldn't you want your children to snap out of it?

34. profile image53
    Cynthia Kennyposted 13 years ago

Become a Jehovahs Witness and youll find out your answers

35. plinka profile image54
    plinkaposted 12 years ago

Extreme weather patterns are also part of the atmospheric circulation. They are in fact products of this system which can very from year to year.

36. artcivacomp profile image60
    artcivacompposted 12 years ago

I believe God takes care of big picture things like creating people and animals and the world. He/she may set the stage for weather but does not govern specific events. Floods and Earthquakes happen naturally, God does not choose when and where.

37. profile image48
    CXBNCNposted 12 years ago

et Nike Shoes at Super Cheap Prices
    Discount Nike air jordans  (http://www.casualkey.com)
    Discount Nike Air Max 90 Sneakers  (http://www.casualkey.com)
    Discount Nike Air Max 91 Supplier  (http://ww.casualkey.com)
    Discount Nike Air Max 95 Shoes Supplier  (http://www.casualkey.com)
    Discount Nike Air Max 97 Trainers  (http://ww.casualkey.com)
    Discount Nike Air Max 2003 Wholesale  (http://www.casualkey.com)
    Discount Nike Air Max 2004 Shoes Wholesale
    (http://www.casualkey.com)

38. cloudrider profile image61
    cloudriderposted 12 years ago

Sylvia,

Being the total Gemini that I am I would have to say yes and no ...  : )

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)