If God already knows what on our minds at any time, is prayer really necessary?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (24 posts)
  1. TMApsey profile image75
    TMApseyposted 12 years ago

If God already knows what on our minds at any time, is prayer really necessary?

2. misty95 profile image60
    misty95posted 12 years ago

No. But getting on your knees and fighting every one in your face is.
    The moral of the story is to fight on each level.
    You then reach the God of self

3. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 12 years ago

Not for Him, but for you.  You need the experience of expressing your faith and trust in Him.  It's like asking your parents for something you know they have set aside for you.

4. dan-1 profile image63
    dan-1posted 12 years ago

Well, last time I checked no one ever said when you pray you have to say it out loud. Prayer is just communicating with God and it doesn't always have to include asking for things either.
    Prayer can simply be a gesture of conversation like the weather was nice today God maybe we should hang out in the park tommorow. No matter how you do it prayer is just a personal line of communication between you and the Big Man!

5. RavenT2011 profile image65
    RavenT2011posted 12 years ago

Let me be the first to say "YES" prayer is very necessary and in case anyone else is reading this for more information about God; prayer is our way of asking for his help God gave is only begotten son just so we would be able to ask him for his help and forgiveness of your sins. Yes he does know exactly what  troubling us exactly when it is troubling us, but he never once said he would just step in without being asked to do so. Alos there is a lot more things involved in praying, Praying for help with troubles also requires faith in your prayers being answered and accepting the answer that follows.

6. profile image52
    passingthewordposted 12 years ago

It's Like a woman. She may know her husband loves her but it is nice to hear it from his own mouth.
    There is a lot of examples in the bible I could share but i think this is enough for right now.

7. RavenT2011 profile image65
    RavenT2011posted 12 years ago

Prayers, Prayer (n) conversations with God-in praise, thanksgiving, or intercession. Those of us that beleive in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. pray for many different reasons throughtout our day. We pray as we wake for peace and guidance through the day. For the situations that we become  faced with that we can handle we pray for the right way to handle it. For the circumstances that are beyond our control we pray for the lord to step in and set things right. For the things we say an read more

8. daskittlez69 profile image75
    daskittlez69posted 12 years ago

Prayer is as much for your own sake as it is for God's.

9. point2make profile image59
    point2makeposted 12 years ago

The Word says.."You have not because you ask not!  Prayer is for our benefit and it is also an act of obedience. Jesus taught us how to pray and where to pray. Prayer will always be important to a believer and to God.

If you don't believe then prayer is a waste of time for you, after all who would you pray to? To a believer, however, a life without prayer would be like a life without God.

10. TMApsey profile image75
    TMApseyposted 12 years ago

Thanks everyone, I DO believe in God and I pray all the time, though I'm not religious, a strange combination for a religion scholar! I just sometimes woner what's the point, except to make me feel better? And isn't that kind of selfish?

11. Zubair Ahmed profile image73
    Zubair Ahmedposted 12 years ago

It's a bit like your boss know you will always want more pay and perks but he/she never gives it to you unless you ask and justify.  In a similar manner God know what you are thinking about but unless you ask for it (Pray for it) then your not actually expressing it directly.

12. CARIBQUEEN profile image63
    CARIBQUEENposted 12 years ago

Prayer is communicating with God.  It is just like communicating with a friend. He wants us to talk to him just like a friend.  Don't you like to feel appreciated by a friend. Prayer is not just asking for things - it is also showing gratitude for our very being.

13. jseven profile image77
    jsevenposted 12 years ago

I would feel very alone if I never prayed. It is my way of talking to my heavenly Father. I like to treat Him like I would my own earthly father and tell Him how much He means to me as well as ask Him for help here on planet, scary earth sometimes. Many times, actually.

I also like to just listen instead of being a jabber-jaw all the time. I'm sure He likes to get a word or two in. smile

The bible does tell us to pray without ceasing and I take that as a state of mind, not constant out loud praying, which would make other people nuts.

14. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

You have just struck on a pathway hidden in the underbrush. When you think, you pray. Answer this one: In the garden of Gethsemane, to whom was Jesus praying?

15. quescott profile image72
    quescottposted 12 years ago

Similar to the remarks about how its like the relationship with your boss or between a husband and wife, I  tend to liken to a relationship between parents and children. A parent always knows what his child needs before he askes and makes sure that he has it (food, clothes, adequite time for rest, etc). A child never has to say "Mom can I have some food today". But if that child ever actually said to the parent "Thanks Mom for making dinner", the parent  might actually tear up because the child actually took time to say thanks for what the parent would do anyway.  Yes, God knows, but it never hurts to stop and acknowledge where it came from sometime.

16. Taleb80 profile image79
    Taleb80posted 12 years ago

If someone you love & s/he believes in this, is telling him/her "I Love You" again & again really necessary.

17. Dawn the Chip profile image58
    Dawn the Chipposted 12 years ago

I think prayers are solely for the people who are praying. It helps them focus, and gives a quiet reflective time to re centralise their inner core. It helps them achieve a sense of well being, which they would not be able to achieve in other ways.
    But do I think God listens...sorry no.

18. Devika12 profile image59
    Devika12posted 12 years ago

God always knows what's on your mind it's just that God needs to know how much conviction you put into your prayer. the air is all around us but you have to switch on the fan to feel the air.

19. rikabothra profile image59
    rikabothraposted 12 years ago

A prayer is necessary when you feel the need to connect with God.. it gves you a sense of calm and peace...

20. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

Yes to acknowledge your willingness. God needs to hear you ask for Him and His help even though he knows you need it. God would never force himself upon you or anyother.

21. philirodje profile image60
    philirodjeposted 12 years ago

The Book of Ephesians 6:18 says keep on praying in all kinds of prayer.
    Jesus also commanded us to always pray. asked and you shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be open on to you.
    it is not our making. we have been commanded to do so. and more so, praying is not only asking you can also praise and give thanks too

22. ershruti304 profile image60
    ershruti304posted 12 years ago

Yes, it gives you satisfaction and in addition to it, prayers give you peace and gives you a moral support that you have somebody for taking good care of yours.

23. NiaLee profile image61
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

We can pray in the quiet of our mind or else... Prayer is the will to connect with God and let him know voluntarily what we thank him for and what we want from him. Everybody does it his way, but stating things allows us to focus on them, to be more aware of them...all these processes and procedures are more to reinforce our faith, calm us down and help us grow...not for him. Though he appreciates the will becoming stronger. The power of prayer is humongous.And we can simply contaminate others with that wonderful thing.

24. vjwillisjr profile image60
    vjwillisjrposted 12 years ago

Prayer isn't for God's benefit. It's for our benefit. When I take the time to pray, I am communicating with Him. I am focusing on Him.

If I am wise, I will pray about something and leave it with Him. IF He needs me to do anything, He will give me signs. I just need to listen patiently (Not always an easy thing to do).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)