Have you ever stopped associating with someone because you did not agree with so

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. advisor4qb profile image76
    advisor4qbposted 12 years ago

Have you ever stopped associating with someone because you did not agree with something they did?

Did you discuss it with them or just cut them off?  Is it best to just be "too busy" for them or to be flat out honest about the affects their action (s) had on you?

2. Deborah-Diane profile image82
    Deborah-Dianeposted 12 years ago

Yes.  We had a friend who was so verbally abusive to his wife and other people, that we reached the point that we could not stand to be around him any longer.  He and his wife had been married over 30 years, and she was apparently used to it.  But, it made us very uncomfortable.

3. Arlynne profile image55
    Arlynneposted 12 years ago

yes i did..then my friend asked me if he/she did something wrong then i'll answer "nothing" and then leave..for me sometimes you don't need to confront a friend to make him/her aware that he/she did something wrong..you just need to act differently..

4. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 12 years ago

i told m 20 year long childhood friend that he was not welcome in my home until his behaior improved,... i told him EXACTLY why,... and he did not set foot through my garden gate for 6 months. we talked, text, hung out etc,... but he did not enter my house again until i felt it apropriate.

and to this day, he hangs at my house a lot less. i treasure him as a friend, but i trust him less a a person,... its dificult,... but i would not be a true friend if i didnt call him on his behavior. if he didnt matter i could have cut him off and never spoke to or seen him again.

i guess when it comes to true friends, i'll fight with them, and over them, and for them,....

for passing friends,... well,.... thier just passing friends,.... let them pass

5. amymarie_5 profile image67
    amymarie_5posted 12 years ago

Yes.  My friend since childhood.  Her dad had a heart attack while she was in vegas and she didnt come home.  He has been in intensive care for the last five days and had surgery a few days ago.  She and her husband have been posting pics on facebook everyday to show everyone all the fun she's having at the same time she's sending texts asking everyone to pray for her dad. I'm disgusted and don't want to talk to her again.  BTW it will be ten yrs on 10/22 that my dad passed.  I guess I'm a bit sensitive. 
    I did tell her how I felt and I think I was a bit harsh but I don't regret it.

6. Lady Summerset profile image72
    Lady Summersetposted 12 years ago

Yes, I have and I know people disagree with that.  I've come to realize that when people consistently act, or do things that are repetitive negative, it has a way of draining your energy.  I have someone right now trying to get back into my life but I've drawn the line.  People have to be willing to change themselves before you can help them to move into a more positive lane.  However, I do believe in addressing issues with the person, giving time for changes to be made to help our relationship to be healthier but if that person refuses to make changes cut-off is the result!  Still praying for them but moving on through my life mission.

7. stylezink profile image73
    stylezinkposted 12 years ago

Yes, with a co-worker of mine. She became "clingy" with me and always shared with me all her depressing stories about losing her house, needing another job, to breaking up with her boyfriend. It became very irritating and I had my own problems. Might I also add I work in medical billing, it's a high stress job. I didn't want to hear about her problems all day. When I noticed she began taking her breaks at the same time as me I had enough of her. One day I just told her I wanted to go to break alone, I had something's on my mind and needed time to myself. It wasn't a lie, I had a lot going on between work and home and I was frustrated. I had a peaceful quiet break away from everyone and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Over the next few days she questioned the hell out of me. "What did I do?" What's wrong?" Are you mad at me?" I told her it wasn't anything about her I just have so much going on in life that I need those 15 minutes I get alone to myself. She was pissed about it. I felt no need to explain any further than that. If I did we would all just get our feelings hurt. Besides that she is a co-worker and that's it. I will never understand how some folks become best friends with someone at work. I didn't feel anything from my actions but relief. Relief that I didn't have to hear this woman's voice non-stop everyday, 5 days out of the week, for 15 minutes. I now enjoy my break and could give a damn about what's going on over in her world.

8. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 12 years ago

Flat out honesty.......they say forgiveness free's you, but flat out honesty works every time.  If you ever want to be free of something speak to the person about it.  To be honest I feel if someone never does anything negative to you there is no room for error or misunderstanding.  Most of the time people allow other people to "get away with things" without calling them on it.  Then they revert to slowly but surely making themselves unavailable because they are upset or don't want to deal with them because of what they have done.  Well now that I thought about it..... to be honest some people don't deserve your flat out honesty.  Sometimes it is for you to bluntly separate yourself because if they respected you as well as the "relationship "and friendship that you had they wouldn't have went there with whatever insults and actions.....  People are weird and do strange things for results only they would imagine.  It's not worth you any to entertain or waste your energy on certain people, especially when they are adamant about their selfish behavior

style zinc I know tht type you are talking about, they usually have an ulterior motive you'll never see  ......strange zones #totally

9. Borsia profile image39
    Borsiaposted 12 years ago

Numerous times in my youth when I found out people hanging were kleptos or addicts, one is usually the other.
    To a lesser degree with people who just took too many chances with things like DUI.
    Later in life with people who just don't have respect for the property of others.
    I am a very hard person to get close to so not really in my adult life.

10. whoisbid profile image61
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Some particularly wicked people want to harm others on purpose. They enjoy doing it and so there is no point telling them how their actions affect you. This is what they want. They want to see you suffer because they cannot sleep at night until they have seen someone fall. Proverbs 4:16

11. kipronor profile image60
    kipronorposted 12 years ago

Sometimes its better to agree to disagree, and Yes i have stopped because they did not respect what i stood for, if someone can not understand the reason you have reservations over what they are doing, its better to let them know in advance that you will not be able to maintain what you have between you , relationships are made out of respect to what someone believes.
    there is no absolute reason to be bitter or stressed, cutting off the relationship after all other logical solutions have failed would be the last resort.

12. profile image0
    lostwithinmyselfposted 12 years ago

Yep my hubby's family. They are all two faced and one of the sister in laws has been such a bitch towards me. It is hard to be around people that don't understand and are two faced. I have stopped going to family party's because of it. Plus one of the brother in laws is always going on about sex and grabs his wife's breasts and asks if they can have sex all the time in front of everyone including my kids. They are having a party today but i refused to go because i can't deal with them. x

13. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 12 years ago

I've backed away from associating with someone I discovered was TOXIC to be around...PLENTY OF TIMES.  I know the kind of people I wish to  have in my close circle of friends and those whom I do NOT.  It's not necessary to go into detail with these people as to WHY you have turned cold, unless they firmly insist upon knowing.  Then I would be vague and gentle.  People are who they are and just because I may find them to be poisonous, does not mean others see them that way.  They'll find others who want their company.

14. xethonxq profile image66
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

I generally discuss it with them and find out their response/reaction before I make any decisions about whether I'm going to pursue a friendship with them or not.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)