When you are writing a hub, do you stick to what you know best, or do you resear

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. David Legg 7 profile image67
    David Legg 7posted 12 years ago

When you are writing a hub, do you stick to what you know best, or do you research new things?

How much do you generally learn as you write? Are you just fact checking, or delving into new subject matter, learning about it and then writing?

2. Alexander Pease profile image60
    Alexander Peaseposted 12 years ago

I will start with something that I know fairly well. Then if I need topic-points or ideas I will do a little research, but not too much to bog down the creativity of the writing. Once I have a general feel for what I am writing I will just delve right in.

3. mikejhca profile image92
    mikejhcaposted 12 years ago

I do both.  Mostly I stick with what I know best and do some research to improve my hub.  However I also research new things to increase my knowledge.  I would run out of things to write about if I did not learn new things.  A lot of my hubs are based on me doing things and recording the results.  For example I did some hubs on reducing fat and some on gaining muscle.  I changed my body and wrote about it.

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 12 years ago

I do both, because as I prepare a Hub, I read additional high quality references to check the most recent research, job openings, anthropological findings, etc. - like university libraries, microfiche, newspaper offices, Pow Wow participants, and more. I also make phone calls to Chambers of Commerce, universities, businesses, and people at other such entities. Something new comes to me with each Hub, even if just in conversation with experts.

5. christaktak profile image69
    christaktakposted 12 years ago

Usually I just write what Im passionate about, so I can really get a good feel/sense for what Im writing, but sometimes, if i need a little bit of extra detail, I will search up a few things, but usually its very little, as I like sticking to what I know, otherwise the article isn't really mine.

6. tjr2jtr2 profile image59
    tjr2jtr2posted 12 years ago

I wouldn't post a response unless I was positive about the information and/or source.  Don't want to mislead people.

7. sandy1973mypetdog profile image64
    sandy1973mypetdogposted 12 years ago

I stick to what I know something about, it seems to make the writing process easier and takes less time. I would not mind writing about other topics, it would just take me a little more time.

8. geetika iyer profile image76
    geetika iyerposted 12 years ago

The topic i pick is of my choice. But when it comes to putting anything on paper for publication, I always cross reference it. I read more about the subject matter to have better chain of thoughts while writing the final draft. The point to watch out is that, while reading more on a subject matter it is very important to ensure not to delve into unnecessary links which often leads to a completly different subject.

9. Jewelz1313 profile image66
    Jewelz1313posted 12 years ago

I've tried to write about things that were hot topics, but not particularly my personal interest and found I really didn't have much to say. Sure I could look it up and study, but personally I find it more satisfying to write about things I have an interest in. Sometimes I'll look up the trends to see if anything that is trending happens to be something I might have some knowledge or interest in, but other than that writing would seem more like work. Where's the inspiration in that.
    I find most of my inspiration to write in situation that I have been in or going through or things that have been on my mind.

10. Jemmabbes123 profile image54
    Jemmabbes123posted 12 years ago

what you should do is go from what you know already and learn from your experiences but also you should go into depth for your hub and research information incase you have missed something or you need to learn something new it will also make your hub more exciting if you can put as much information as you can on it

11. Cardia profile image76
    Cardiaposted 12 years ago

I normally try to stick to subjects that I'm pretty secure on (but I can always do a bit of research if I'm not sure about a piece of it), but recently I did a review of a CD, something that I've never attempted before. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, so I'm now a bit more encouraged to write on more topics, besides my normal "How Tos".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)