Do you think that prison should be used for punishment or reabilitation?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Scarface1300 profile image63
    Scarface1300posted 12 years ago

Do you think that prison should be used for punishment or reabilitation?

2. justateacher profile image84
    justateacherposted 12 years ago

I think prison should do both - punish people for their crimes and give them a chance to rehabilitate. If we don't give them a chance, they will return to the streets and commit the same - or worse - crimes. If they are rehabilitated there is a chance they can become working members of society.

3. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Neither.  I think it should only be used for those who cannot learn from punishment and cannot be rehabilitated and only then if they actually represent a threat to society.

We have the technology to monitor people closely at far less expense than locking them up costs.  It's not just the direct cost, either: many prisoners have families who end up on welfare because of the prison or jail sentence.  That dependency sometimes continues after the sentence is served as it is very difficult to find a good paying job after serving a prison sentence.

Put GPS bracelets on them, require regular parole visits, send people out to spot check on them.  Provide education and training where possible - prison should be the absolute last resort.

4. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 12 years ago

I concur with the 'teacher', prisons should be there to do both punish and rehabilitate. There is room for a great deal of improvement as to how the penal system operates today, however.

5. Peanutritious profile image59
    Peanutritiousposted 12 years ago

Prison should be a last resort.  People should have a chance to rehabilitate. I was sent to prison and was the last person in the world that I thought would end up in such a situation. I defended myself against a drunken man by grabbing the nearest thing to hand as he was headbutting me and ripping my hair out. I stabbed him in his bicep.  Not something I would ever do under normal circumstances.  Because I was a Teacher, I was made an example of.  His history of assaulting women and the GBH on his record was not even considered. I lost my job, my career, my home and was sent to prison.  Two years later I can not get a job for love nor money.

6. Apostle Jack profile image61
    Apostle Jackposted 12 years ago

It should be used for both. A chance to look at ones self a little closer and do better should be the focus. The HARDER the head........the LONGER THE ROAD.

7. ii3rittles profile image79
    ii3rittlesposted 12 years ago

Prison should be a place where people are placed that CAN NOT live a life without putting harm towards other people.

There are so many innocent people getting hurt, killed, rapped, robbed, every day and the ones who do this still flood the streets. As bad as this sounds, they should have an island or something where these people are sent until they prove they can be civil and not harm others in any way.

But the "system" would collapse if this were to happen. The governments need these people to do evil towards others. Its sick.

8. rlaha profile image60
    rlahaposted 12 years ago

I completely agree with Pcunix on this one.  The justice system in the US is really not a fair one.  Murderers and rapists don't get nearly enough of the sentence they deserve and some petty criminals get to stay in prison for much longer than they probably should.  It doesn't seem fair.  So yes, what Pcunix says should be the way to go.  Good question!

9. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 12 years ago

Both, but I think there should be less laws and that drugs should be legalized.

10. Doc Snow profile image88
    Doc Snowposted 12 years ago

Rehabilitation.  Society gains that way--assuming that there is some success in the 're-habbing.'

11. kkuma01 profile image61
    kkuma01posted 12 years ago

The current way that we have our justice system it is only used to house and punish. There is no way to rehabilitate. We have to think differently and re write the laws and essentially overhaul the "justice system"
    I didn't answer the question though. It should be used for both...with the realization that some people will not be rehabilitated.

12. Nefarious_Misery profile image62
    Nefarious_Miseryposted 12 years ago

Rehabilitation is a myth. It only exists in the minds of those attempting to "help". The reality of the fact is that most of those that have a pre-disposition to crime are that way for a reason. They've already learned that it's much easier to make money on the streets than it is in a 9-5 job. You can rehabilitate all you want, but once they've had a taste for that easy money, it's damn near impossible to walk away from it.

And punishment is all a matter of perspective. To someone who has lived in poverty most of their life, a prison would seem like a pretty good deal wouldn't it?

13. sen.sush23 profile image61
    sen.sush23posted 12 years ago

The question is whether the prison should be used for punishment or rehabilitation - the answer is rehabilitation.
    I do not understand how the question of not having prisons arises. Sometimes there is dearth of circumstantial evidence and the criminal escapes law. At other times there may be none to justify to the innocence of an accused. The second is unfortunate and is a failing of the judicial system (just as no system is fail -proof). To avoid that we must consider to strengthen the investigative processes of the judiciary and police. But the prison assures through confinement away from society that the person who has violated the rights of another, will not have the scope to do that again, till proven not to have intentions to willfully do the same.

14. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 12 years ago

Quakers design the first modern prison - the penitentiary. read more

15. NiaLee profile image61
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

both, I don't agree with having people put together where they can become worst, I believe in making them useful and having a system and people who can help them change.
    What is the use to use your tax dollars to make somebody worst and have them come back in the society???NONE
    The problem is in our system everything is business and where the system makes big bucks, they go.

16. Cat R profile image69
    Cat Rposted 12 years ago

I think prison should be both for minor to medium crimes. I am a firm believer that drug dealers, murderers, child molesters and such forfeit their right to live and that if they are without a doubt proven guilty, should be executed!

I am also a big fan of the way how the Sheriff in Arizona run his jail! If we had more jails like it, we would have less crime!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)