Does it matter that women are not equal to men? Why or why not?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Storytellersrus profile image66
    Storytellersrusposted 12 years ago

Does it matter that women are not equal to men?  Why or why not?

A fellow hubber commented on my hub "I am not equal in 15 states", "How has this hurt you?  Why do you care?"  How would you answer this question?

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image62
    Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years ago

Women and men are different. I guess it depends on what qualitities you are referring to being equal. Of course men are genetically better at some things while women are better at others but if you are talking about a legal stance, they should be equal.

If they are not then It would bother me.

3. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 12 years ago

Who even thinks about that.  I guess if your brain wants to venture into thinking about being better than, or feel the need to compare yourself to someone else who may not even be worth comparing yourself to, then that question and need to will always linger.  Although most people don't say it, they usually feel they are better than the next person.  I remember someone randomly mentioning to me that they looked around the room and said to themself, I'm better than most of these people here.  and in my head I said then why did you go much less stay there.  I guess this thinking is another way to confirm via arrogance and their high horse disposition that regardless of having whatever short coming or defaults (that they choose not to address or take responsibility for) they are just plain ole better.....period! go figure

4. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

I used to care more than I do now. But I kind of don't mind too much as long as it doesn't hurt my education possibilities, keeping my future children, or abilities to own anything. The reason why I don't mind is because I have convinced myself that women can basically run men from the bedroom. If they can't, the man should be left alone or punished in some sort of a way, or the woman should just do it herself. Females are typically more fearsome and don't get caught as much. Just repeat this to yourself. "The man is the head of the family. But the woman is the neck, and she can turn the head anyway she wants."

5. Storytellersrus profile image66
    Storytellersrusposted 12 years ago

I am sorry I did not state the question clearly. Women in 15 American states do not    have equal rights. This  means they are not  considered equal to men in  these states. Read my hub  to clarify what I am asking if  it remains unclear. I am  absolutely not saying I feel  less equal. I am from  Minnesota, where "men are   men and so are the women.".  Obviously none of you follow me, lol!!!

6. learnlovelive profile image60
    learnloveliveposted 12 years ago

Unfotunately, sexism and misogyny have been perpetrated a very long time. It is possible that there was a time when women weren't so objectified, but I can't express to you when. The perils of women's rights in America is a long tale. Women want opportunities to accept the same offers as men yet desire the alternative to object if they so choose. It's not about being equal it's about feeling equal. Women feel shunned in a way, yet they still hold the same feminine reserves they always have. They don't necessarily want to man tanks and plumb ditches, they just want the opportunities for success that men are so often more-privvy to.

I can't understand the viewpoint of this article.

http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ … n-and-men/

Everyone should be entitled to their peace of mind. If that means letting a woman dig ditches or roll around in the dirty jobs of America - why not let them? Choice is should always be there. I don't like gender roles, it's someone else's paradigm and I just don't care.

What drives a woman to feel so oppressed, is it a lack of social and occupational acknowledgement or is it some radical new stance on "separate but equal," where women can stay separate in rights if they so choose as well as having equal opportunities if they desire.

I'm very unsettled about what the real issue is. There is a lot of contention but why? Are women feeling deprived of opportunity or success?

I personally feel that women have a greater likelihood to be successful in the real world. Why they would care about following the footsteps of a man is beyond me. Women are interesting and shouldn't compare themselves to men anyway.

Perhaps there is something lost on me, being a man. Perhaps no; either way I think that equality is relative this day and age. Civil liberties are endowed, back when women couldn't vote - now that was messed up. Women's suffrage was intense and plain wrong. Same with racism. Wrong. It all comes down to whiny little kids in adult bodies who still cant get over themselves, who still think they are the top cat. I guess they never left that highschool aire behind.

7. FIS profile image71
    FISposted 12 years ago

I'm guessing that what you are at is the idea of "Equality under the law"... which means that... the law of the land applies to absolutely everyone the same way. Yes it matters to me that 15 states don't apply equality  under the law to women. Of course it bothers me that in practice there are lots of people who don't get treated equally under the law.. and... it bothers me that people who have enough power, money or really good lawyers are sometimes capable of escaping the law completely.
    Bob

8. Hezmyjoy profile image60
    Hezmyjoyposted 12 years ago

They can't have babies without us and according to scripture they need our help. Life is good!

9. raciniwa profile image80
    raciniwaposted 12 years ago

Each of us is destined, or has a course to follow...women are homemakers and men are homebuilders...Both are essential in building the basic unit of society...So without balance society would break down...

10. DrMikeFitz profile image60
    DrMikeFitzposted 12 years ago

prove it. we are all equal, you are simply not seeing the forms that we are equal in. by taking a closer look at your values and even putting a monetary value to things that do not have one you will see the balance.

make sure you look not at the "big" picture, the huger than that picture. look universally if you must.

regardless of a silly law, how ARE the women equal in those 15 states? what you think about you bring about, what you focus on expands. your "charge" on your view of inequality is something that may have happened that you are angry about and this method of processing your anger, may not dissolve your past event.

study Dr. John Demartini on youtube is a good place to start how to resolve emotional pain and scotoma's. (a blind spot)

11. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 12 years ago

Actually, men are NOT EQUAL to women, and that is because women are far superior to men because they have qualities that no man can even come close to matching.

As an example, a woman can conceive and grow a new life in her body and endure the excruciating pain that it takes to bring that life into the world.

Compared to women, men are cream puffs.

12. Dale Hyde profile image81
    Dale Hydeposted 12 years ago

I agree that men and women should be treated equal by all state laws, as well as around the world. 

I would like to say that I have seen these laws taken advantage having had over 50 people working for me at one time.  Some of the women would make men feel guilty and pass off some of the harder work to the men, or assume that a man would help them do their job simply because they are a woman.  It was bad enough that some of the men had to be written up due to the fact that their productivity fell as they worked to raise the productivity of the woman who was playing them for a fool.

13. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 12 years ago

I don't think it's a matter of women not being equal to men, but rather that we're different.

Men and women have different roles. And my stance on this is a Biblical one.

If you start with the family unit, men are to be the spiritual leaders, have been girded primarily with the financial responsibility and are to solve the problems related to the household.

Women have the gentler spirit, and though they work, their working shoudn't take precedence over the responsibilities of the home, and there certainly shouldn't exist power struggles between a man and woman.

The way society is now – with the breakdown of the family unit - single moms, single dads, woman needing to provide for themselves, the dynamics have changed, causing this ultra-feminism and a power struggle existing between the sexes.

14. C.V.Rajan profile image61
    C.V.Rajanposted 12 years ago

No need to be equal. Reason: A cow is not equal to bull. A cow desirous of becoming a bull invariably ends up pulling carts and ploughing the field in addition to giving milk! If I were a cow, I would rather be happy giving the milk and be content with it!

15. modgirlok profile image60
    modgirlokposted 12 years ago

I believe that women are equal to men, just differently abled. Women have strengths than men do not have, and vice versa. Thankfully society has come a long way in realizing this, although we do have much further to go, even in human rights friendly countries like America and Canada. My hope is that as more women and girls take charge of their lives and live by what they want to do instead of what men tell them to do the awareness of the strengths of women will grow.

16. ajuvr profile image59
    ajuvrposted 12 years ago

there you are ! with this most sensible question.
    well, we require top sense to digest the God's sense of discrimination
    and to leave alone our prejudice over the MATTER to begin with.

17. cicsomum profile image60
    cicsomumposted 12 years ago

Women like when men open doors for them and then they ask "Does it matter that women are not equal to men? Why or why not?"..

18. Justjed profile image60
    Justjedposted 12 years ago

i believe that there should not be gender inequality but the bitter truth is that in some areas, they still believe that the females are less human compared to their male counterparts. In some professions, you will agree with me that some women do better than the guys, infact they are the superiors. Why the discrimation in the first place, is it because the guys have balls and the females do not? What some females lack in balls, they have in guts.

19. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

I think of human beings as individual no matter what their gender is. Discrimination shouldn't exist. We should all have the same right and responsibilities. Now, child bearing is a burden and a blessing to women. The government, the society often make it a burden for us. So, once, the society and the government agree on not penalizing women for bearing children, we can move forward.
    An individual male or female has strength and weaknesses, nobody is perfect these should be the focus of analysis of the individual not their gender.
    As a mother, I can tell you that I have been abused and mistreated or disrespected because I was having children in my professional and personal life. This should not be a point of discussion for anybody else and I shouldn't be penalized when trying to come back to work or anything else. I am ready , willing and able to do the job, better than some men, but that is not what the boss will focus on!

20. move2move profile image59
    move2moveposted 12 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6100060_f260.jpg

Women & Men are never equal, just a natural state of what they are & the core nature of a basic duality in the universe, otherwise they would be like perfect same looking twins ....lol....!
    Socially with should be treated equally but even that is failing badly,
    not because people don't want but because the society still is a Middle-Age Like kind of system in the way of education and thinking ... in some way.
    Even between persons of the same gender, telling from 2 people that they are equal, just isn't the truth. You might have strength and ways to see things that another one definitely not has and surely not with the same precision, maybe similar but still, that's not the same and therefore ... not EQUAL!
    Putting that inequality under a never-ending concurrence  rat-race between genders, just is misleading and keeps up an unnecessary gab between them.
    Some symbols show it perfectly and yet ... a lot of people don't seems notice that and understand it the way it really is. It also never is/was a question of superiority of one or the other gender, even if some really believe this to be so. It's all just about balance and our society has an issue with exactly that. Being equal in rights, doesn't mean that we're equal as persons. Just not the same and tends to have a need to be understood on the common respectful right way it's also meant.

21. services4all profile image59
    services4allposted 12 years ago

Yes, but it is true in some cases like , men can do any work like taking any heavy things from one place to another easily . where as Women can't do.

22. aisha91 profile image54
    aisha91posted 12 years ago

To me? It does not matter at all, I recognize the fact that there are things that women cannot do while men can, similar to the fact that there are things that the women can only do while men cannot. And what we need is to respect that fact. However if a man or a woman wishes to go beyond what they can, they might be excellent on certain matter that only an opposite gender good at, though based on my observation, the disadvantages it brings is more than the advantages someone gets.
    In my own opinion men and women has different path when it comes to responsibility, political power, physical and emotional strength assuming they are both normal in physical and mental aspects and no issues on some personality disorder. A man is befitted to be a leader assuming he is responsible, and is healthy physically and possesses a sound mind. But without the support of a woman in boasting his confidence and inner strength, do you think he would be an effective leader? Be that woman a mother, sister or a wife. The point is, without the other, the other cannot pull his/her "best" determination and courage without the guide and help of the other. To simply say it, the other cannot survive without the other, so why would we bother ourselves with the comparison? We know our stance, we just need to hold and carry it excellently.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)