Is it unfair to offer your services for free?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. BizGenGirl profile image88
    BizGenGirlposted 12 years ago

Is it unfair to offer your services for free?

Is it unfair to offer your services, skills or talents to the public for free, when there are other professionals out there that are charging for the same services and trying to make a living from them? Even if the services are not made available to those who cannot afford them otherwise, or if those services could make huge positive impacts in other peoples lives?

Should we really be concerned with how others are earning an income when it comes to the rates we charge for our services?

If you feel it's unfair, why?

If you feel it's fair to do so, why?

2. loveorlost profile image41
    loveorlostposted 12 years ago

If you provide free service that makes your product very easy. People dont like to get which is very easy, so if you put a token money than you will get response.

3. alexatomas profile image60
    alexatomasposted 12 years ago

I think it really depends. Because, for example, you are part of a organisation that gives food to people who have no money to buy food. Of course there are places that sell food and people that make a living selling food. But I'm sure they don't mind, because, despite being fair or unfair, these people would be starving otherwise.

On the other hand, it's a matter of quality too. Supposedly, something you need to pay to have has more quality that something cheap or free. If someone is offering something for free, and it has quality, people will be all over them, and they will realise they can actually make a living out of that.

Translating this to Economy, we need to believe in a perfect point between offer and demand. So people who are buying it and find they can have it for free will try to buy that. And people who offer it for free and find out they can actually charge, will want to charge. These decisions will collide in that perfect point, making it fair.

Sorry for long and boring answer wink

4. profile image0
    Kathleen Kerswigposted 12 years ago

I don't think I have ever thought it was unfair to offer free services. In my opinion, it is a decision that is based on several factors such as what type of service, how many are receiving the free offer, and what is the desired outcome for the person offering the free service.

In my case, I am a recovery coach. My goal is to coach in the evenings and on weekends in order to help people who are striving for sobriety. I love coaching people and giving them hope that life does not have to end just because a person does not drink or drug anymore. I sometimes offer reduced rates to help people get started. In my case, my goal is more to help someone than to get rich from coaching. I truly hope that I will be able to build up my business to coach full-time at some point, but that is not my main focus.

You have asked a very interesting question and I'm looking forward to reading more answers. I'm curious as to what others think. Thank you so much for posting this question today.

5. wonderingwoolley profile image59
    wonderingwoolleyposted 12 years ago

I think that is what pro-bono work is for. It's to provide a service, and those who get paid to do the service should still find a way to give back. I'm thinking along the terms of food banks vs. grocery stores. Sure, people are making money from selling food, but they aren't going to be making the money from people who cannot afford to buy the food. However, they still have to eat. So that's what food banks are for. At the same time, people who can afford grocery stores go there, and don't take advantage of the food bank. Everyone should find a way to give back, and I think that's my bottom line.

6. Jimmy Boyd profile image66
    Jimmy Boydposted 12 years ago

No, it is not unfair legally, morally or ethically to provide free services. You own your own time, so you can do with it what you want. In fact, the rules of professional responsibility even encourage pro bono work in the legal field.

However, as a consumer, you have to be wary of offers of free services to the public at large. Are you getting the quality you would get if paying for the service? Do you need the highest quality? This all depends on the service and your particular situation.

As far as other service providers are concerned, though, it is simply not their business what another professional does with his or her time.

7. jpcmc profile image88
    jpcmcposted 12 years ago

I personally believe that free service can be given to people who deserve it.  We are all blessed to become blessing to others.

8. ikechiawazie profile image60
    ikechiawazieposted 12 years ago

I dont think its bad to offer free services. Its depends on the individual offering the service. I also think that many people that offer free services, do so because they have a passion and philosophy different from those that offer for a price. One thing is for sure, they aim to empower humanity.

9. Inventurist profile image75
    Inventuristposted 12 years ago

It has been my experience over time, you get what you pay for. If you are offering genuinely valuable services for free, it is absolutely your choice to do so and with no guilt - and when given to those who need it even feel good about doing so. Back to the beginning of my answer. I have often found people giving services for free that ended up costing the person needing specific help with something. If you get to the point where your free service cannot provide the help for the person that is needed, please tell the person you are helping you can't go that far - that it will require on step up to a person who can help.

10. Credence2 profile image79
    Credence2posted 12 years ago

If I choose to cut grass and do yard work for free, isn't that my call. If we talk about freedom, people must have the right to provide their labor under what ever circumstances they wish, or can negotiate. The Pro-bono concept is a great one, as someone has to be a voice for those that are mere David against the corporate Goliath. They (Pro-bono attorneys) perform a real service and contribute to making democracy real , working for everyone.

11. FloBe profile image66
    FloBeposted 12 years ago

If you are in a position in life where you can offer your services for free, you will find great enrichment in making other people's lives better. One pitfall you need to watch out for, as is the case for all people who "volunteer" their time, is to become resentful of people who take advantage of you or are not thankful for what you offer. If you keep the perspective that your own satisfaction for having done a good job and helped someone else is enough, then feeling "used" won't become an issue.

12. profile image53
    majlindapposted 12 years ago

I believe, balance is the answer! it's good to deliver free service when it's appreciated, well-received, helpful and in the end it makes us feel good. Often times people take advantages of free services, so use your own judgement, on the " amount" you deliver and the "target group" you deliver it to. Best of luck!

13. bern927 profile image58
    bern927posted 12 years ago

Not only is it fair to offer our services for free, it is morally imperative to share our talents and skills with those who can benefit from them but perhaps cannot afford to pay for them. In my consulting work as an editor and a life coach, I do charge for my services but also do a great deal of pro bono work. I believe that whatever we give ultimately comes back to us.

14. asset-management1 profile image59
    asset-management1posted 12 years ago

I don't believe it is unfair to offer your services for free - but the other side of the coin are those situations like unpaid internships, where the intern is doing valuable work and not getting compensated monetarily. I think that situations like that are unfair, but on the part of the employer, not on the part of the person offering their services.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)